Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Research Focus Issues

Last posted Apr 28, 2014 at 01:00AM EDT. Added Feb 19, 2014 at 09:08PM EST
21 posts from 12 users

(note: I couldn't think of a suitable name for the thread, if another mod can think of a suitable name, then feel free to change it)

Before I get started on what I wish to say, I just want to preface by saying that I mean no ill will towards the way the site is run or the people who run it. I love the site and think are admins are great guys, but this is something that's been eating at me for a while, and I only wish to share my thoughts and hear you guys thoughts as well in a polite way (Not that I expect any less from you guys, you're all pretty exceptional when it comes to manners)

Recently, I've had something that's been bugging me about the types of entries that have been created and featured on the front page, and it's something that's been bothering me for a while now. I've actually been worried about creating this thread, I'd hate for you guys to react negatively to what I have to say (Although as mentioned above, you're all really cool). Basically, I feel that we as a site have lost focus on what we should be focusing on in the way of what we document. I feel that instead of focusing on memes (Even if there have been some big ones as of late, case in point Twitch Plays Pokémon and Special Feeling), we've been focusing more on things that should be playing second fiddle as of late (case in point the 'controversies', some select subculture entries etc.). I'm kind of worried that we are getting too derailed in this respect. Let me explain what I feel in a bit more detail.
Firstly, the 'controversy' entries. It feels that this whole controversy thing has become too big on KYM, with things like Manosphere, XOJane and America Is Beautiful ad taking priority. Controversy entries like this seem to be frontpaged everyday, almost to the point where it's like KYM is just some source-based news site now. Now I know that a few users will agree with me on this, a lot of comments on these entries often talk about how they're sick of seeing entries like this get frontpaged. This part is more focused on people who respond to this by saying "Well our job is to document the goings-on on the internet, and this is what's big now. Why shouldn't it deserve to be documented?". To this argument, I have to agree. These controversies are somewhat relevant (not all the time I might add, which I will get to in the next paragraph), and they deserve some place. Does this mean we should put all our effort into reporting these instead? Fuck no. Relevant or not, memes should take priority over controversies. They shouldn't be taking the spots that meme entries, which are more worthy of our attention, should be getting.
I also have to complain about the kind of things we are reporting as well. Now this isn't a case of "We shouldn't document controversies over memes", but it is still a case of priority again. To provide an example, take a look at our Candy Crush Saga entry. This entry was once again spotlighted to talk about how the developers made an IPO for the game. However, it is notable that the entry was not featured to talk about the controversy (Yes, note how I mentioned controversy) of their trademark filing of the word 'Candy' in Europe. I ask, out of these two events, which one is more internet notable? The 'Candy' trademark filing garnered a lot more attention and debate from internet goers than the IPO did, so wouldn't it make more sense to talk about that as well? This is something that's less of an issue, but worth discussing as well.
Now lets talk about some of the Subculture (and to a lesser extent, people) entries that are submitted. For this, it's more of a case of "Was this entry really necessary?" rather than anything else. Take the recent additions of The Lion King, Space Jam, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Full House. As someone who works on a lot of anime-related subculture entries (Two of which, Squid Girl and Cowboy Bebop were made around the time these were), it kind of bugs me a lot. Back when I first joined the site, one of the first subculture entries I worked on was the one for Nintendo (Which, to bring up a less serious pet peeve, hasn't been confirmed while Xbox has? Get to work on it :P). However, even with that, there was two mods who opposed, it, RandomMan and Cyber6x, saying that it didn't really have many memes linked with the company itself to warrant an entry. Looking back on it, I tend to agree with them (Hell, I feel guilty now working on entries like Space Dandy and Free! based on that priniciple). RandomMan gave me a piece of advice then that I've always taken into account when making entries since then, Fandom =/= Subculture. That's something I feel isn't taken into account with these entries, if I were the one making these entries, my ruling would have barred me from making them. If I were to follow the example of these entries, there would be double the amount of entries from me then there is already (Why do you think I haven't made a FullMetal Alchemist entry yet? I even brought it up a long time ago in the Japanese Memes thread, where even Mona said that there wasn't much in the way of memes for the series, so it was probably best to give it a pass). If I were to follow in the example of these recent subculture entries, I could make an entry for pretty much anything.

Anyway, so that's what I have to say. There's probably more to my argument, but it's 2 in the morning here, so I must sleep. Please, tell me what think, and I'll be sure to look when I wake up. Thanks for listening to what I have to say, even with this giant wall of text :)

Last edited Feb 19, 2014 at 09:32PM EST

I've been thinking about this stuff too, and I agree. While I like most of the stuff currently on the front page, I think most controversies could be taken off. However I agree that trending memes, discussions, viral videos/images, etc. should be kept on.

I do think these controversies deserve entries, but I don't believe that majority should be frontpaged since they don't have enough viral spread.

The one that I think deserves to be on there is the neknominate and the occasional controversy like that one Frozen controversy. Only memes that actually have good presence should be on the front page.

But the one I've really disliked is the comeback subculture entries. They aren't neccesary to be put on the front page. They are pretty silly and don't have anything to do with current day. If a, say Buffy the Vampire Slayer, reunion episode were to come on air, or someone in the main cast died, then I'd give it an excuse to go on the front page, but that's really it.

Glad you brought this up, this is useful.

Last edited Feb 19, 2014 at 09:26PM EST

LNH wrote:

I've been thinking about this stuff too, and I agree. While I like most of the stuff currently on the front page, I think most controversies could be taken off. However I agree that trending memes, discussions, viral videos/images, etc. should be kept on.

I do think these controversies deserve entries, but I don't believe that majority should be frontpaged since they don't have enough viral spread.

The one that I think deserves to be on there is the neknominate and the occasional controversy like that one Frozen controversy. Only memes that actually have good presence should be on the front page.

But the one I've really disliked is the comeback subculture entries. They aren't neccesary to be put on the front page. They are pretty silly and don't have anything to do with current day. If a, say Buffy the Vampire Slayer, reunion episode were to come on air, or someone in the main cast died, then I'd give it an excuse to go on the front page, but that's really it.

Glad you brought this up, this is useful.

On second thought, I think I agree on the Neknominate one after re-reading the entry. I'll change that to XOJane, I think that entry is a lot more unnecessary. And I completely agree on the Frozen Controversy, that's an example of something that was a big thing on the internet for a while, a controversy that deserved an entry.

Last edited Feb 19, 2014 at 09:34PM EST

I always felt "Event" was a bit overabused as well. Mainly because you can have most anything on the internet be labeled an "event" no matter how long it actually lasted.

Did the "Event" show any signs of Mutation before the entry was made only less than a day after it was made? Do we know that it had lasting enough impact to actually be worthy of being documented here yet?

For most of these "Events", no… they don't. They aren't mutating, and outright can't mutate that fast. Even with meme's lifecycles being shortened as time goes on, memorable events that people would need a site like Know Your Meme to go look back on don't need to be immediately recorded.

I'm going to call this one out. I bet the Staff are doing this specifically to keep the website relevant after Forest and the other scientists ditched us. They don't have the draw of Video Documentation nor Fan to Internet Filmstar interaction and relationships anymore, and thus have to lean on whatever is trending to try and keep the crowds coming back to us. And the new format is not boding well with the userbase, as evidenced by the hate for every single controversy or Don Entry.

As a personal preference, I would rather them put their manpower into keeping a consistent lineup of confirms. Clean up and Confirm the articles, and trust the userbase enough to bring in the content. It's okay to have a 100% Staff Written article every once in awhile, but the focus should be the publishing of user content. Make users genuinely want that to keep them coming back for more. I know from experience getting your entry frontpaged and confirmed is an overwhelmingly positive experience.

Last edited Feb 20, 2014 at 09:51AM EST

Thanks to whoever changed the title . My mind was really drawing a blank for a title, so I just called it the first thing I could think of.

Last edited Feb 20, 2014 at 11:40AM EST

(note: I couldn’t think of a suitable name for the thread, if another mod can think of a suitable name, then feel free to change it)

Would this new one work?

Edit: You just posted, so it seems you're ok with it. Cool.

Now I know that a few users will agree with me on this, a lot of comments on these entries often talk about how they’re sick of seeing entries like this get frontpaged.

Oh don't worry, I'm quite certain a lot agree with you on that. And to be fair, so do I at times. Thing is, right now you can easily make a seperate "Event" tag reading "Controversy", because nowadays the controversies just completely outnumber the different events.

I know I have been defending them as well, by the reason you explained yourself as well of "it's big, so document it". But I also partly use that argument because I don't really know any better reply. I know the staff wants to expand the site focus, so I'm always just assuming they know what they're doing. But does that mean I agree with certain event entries all the time? God no.

My main issue with event entries and frontpage focus is the difference between stuff that is naturally big on the internet, and stuff that is exclusively big on the internet.

KYM advertises and describes itself as a place of documentation, an encyclopedia even, both in the focus of internet phenomena. But what has been the main focus of the frontpage most of the time? Articles every site out there already writes about. We're basically just hopping on a train all the time. For a site that looks at itself like a Wikipedia, we're closer to a The Daily Dot or Buzzfeed.

But is that a suprise? No. Let's go back to what I said earlier: Exclusive, that's the key word, because times have changed. Nowadays, everyone uses social media and everyone browses the internet. The "interwebs" as we used to know certain areas of the internet as no longer exist. The internet has become easier accessible to the masses, resulting in change.

Which was what I meant with stuff that's naturally big on the internet. If it's a big controversy IRL, OF COURSE it's going to be a big thing of discussion on the internet. But that doesn't mean we should always document it. We're KYM, not the New York Times. Sometimes KYM feels too much of a newspaper and less of a wiki to me.

Fandom =/= Subculture

I still belive this, and find that some of the things like the Lion King aren't exactly internet exclusive fandoms. It's only a matter of time before we start documenting Bambi, and I don't really know how to feel about that.

Last edited Feb 20, 2014 at 11:48AM EST

i forget the proper way to fake-format a quote but this is from a ring pop's post way above::

But the one I’ve really disliked is the comeback subculture entries. They aren’t neccesary to be put on the front page. They are pretty silly and don’t have anything to do with current day. If a, say Buffy the Vampire Slayer, reunion episode were to come on air, or someone in the main cast died, then I’d give it an excuse to go on the front page, but that’s really it.

I would like to introduce you to this entire academic book about the buffy fandom's online presence and how it was one of the earliest shows where the internet had begun to play a role in canon / creators interacting with fans (link) which is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT to KYM's mission in documenting subcultures. KYM is a living, breathing document and sometimes to understand the future, you have to go back and fill in the history first. I don't know why it came up or whatever, but I was SO excited to see it was finally added. Memes, fandoms and subcultures existed long before this website did and there is a lot of filling in to do.

I still don't get why everyone gets so upset about fandom/subculture/internet happenings entries -- like, that stuff is going on and important and KYM plays a huge role in that documentation. Complaining about this shit is the same thing as the people who complain about putting 3D printers, makerspaces and other advancements in libraries. Looking at this from a library standpoint (which is how I've always thought of and will continue to think of KYM):: as things grow and evolve, you have to keep your patrons in mind and KYM's patrons are all of the internet, not just people who sign up for the site. And sometimes yeah these controversy entries or newsy entries are the gateway that get people involved and passionate about something. The first thing that ever got me into asking questions about internet culture in a more thoughtful way wasn't a meme (it's categorized on here as an event).

KYM is a library and, as libraries are much much more than books, this site is and deserves to be much more than just memes. It's something I've said a million times while i was on staff and will continue to stand by now.

amanda b. wrote:

i forget the proper way to fake-format a quote but this is from a ring pop's post way above::

But the one I’ve really disliked is the comeback subculture entries. They aren’t neccesary to be put on the front page. They are pretty silly and don’t have anything to do with current day. If a, say Buffy the Vampire Slayer, reunion episode were to come on air, or someone in the main cast died, then I’d give it an excuse to go on the front page, but that’s really it.

I would like to introduce you to this entire academic book about the buffy fandom's online presence and how it was one of the earliest shows where the internet had begun to play a role in canon / creators interacting with fans (link) which is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT to KYM's mission in documenting subcultures. KYM is a living, breathing document and sometimes to understand the future, you have to go back and fill in the history first. I don't know why it came up or whatever, but I was SO excited to see it was finally added. Memes, fandoms and subcultures existed long before this website did and there is a lot of filling in to do.

I still don't get why everyone gets so upset about fandom/subculture/internet happenings entries -- like, that stuff is going on and important and KYM plays a huge role in that documentation. Complaining about this shit is the same thing as the people who complain about putting 3D printers, makerspaces and other advancements in libraries. Looking at this from a library standpoint (which is how I've always thought of and will continue to think of KYM):: as things grow and evolve, you have to keep your patrons in mind and KYM's patrons are all of the internet, not just people who sign up for the site. And sometimes yeah these controversy entries or newsy entries are the gateway that get people involved and passionate about something. The first thing that ever got me into asking questions about internet culture in a more thoughtful way wasn't a meme (it's categorized on here as an event).

KYM is a library and, as libraries are much much more than books, this site is and deserves to be much more than just memes. It's something I've said a million times while i was on staff and will continue to stand by now.

Nice to get your opinion on the matter Amanda :)
However, I would like to address some things:

The point isn't really as much of "We shouldn't be documenting things other than memes period"" and more "We shouldn't be documenting things that aren't notably internet relevant". There are plenty of entries that have been added recently which I personally feel are unnecessary. Yes, Buffy The Vampire Slayer does have some internet relevance, and I can respect that more after the example you have provided (Stuff like that should be included in the entry, I wouldn't have included it in my argument if it was), but there is other stuff which I believe is unnecessary. As someone who deals predominantly in anime subculture entries, I would not argue that they do not deserve a place on the site, I am wholly against that view, but it doesn't mean we need to document every fandom. They only really need to be documented if they have anything super-notable internet wise related to them (be it sub-memes, or a notable event like how I mentioned the Cowboy Bebop movie casting in it's subculture entry).

And about the events, again, I feel that it's not a case of "They shouldn't be here" and more "They should be internet relevant". Like I said, it's more like we're becoming a source-based news site. Take a look at some of the events and controversy entries coming up. Some don't mention how forum and internet users reacted, and if they do it's not really the kind of thing we should be focusing on, namely the meme side of it. Instead of stating what happened and how internet users reacted, it's more of a case of here's what happened and sources which confirm it. The Candy Crush IPO is not internet relevant, for example, no mention of how the online gaming community reacted. The Frozen Whitewash entry is the perfect example of the type of things that should be recorded, and how we should record them. The difference between the entry that you provided as an example and these other entries is that has a lot more online relevance, it discusses how internet-goers reacted and how it is relevant to internet culture. These recent entries do not.

Complaining about this shit is the same thing as the people who complain about putting 3D printers, makerspaces and other advancements in libraries.

I can't really agree with this. This isn't a case of 'Easily ignored extra features', This is a case of changing how the site is run. They don't prioritize them over the actual books. It's not like we're arguing over new site features, this is more of a case of "Focusing on things like these with lesser online relevance means not giving other, more relevant things the attention they should be getting instead. Plus, as mentioned before, these pages are taking priority over the entries made by users. Not that I'm complaining, but while Sleepy Hollow and Full House were being made to insta-frontpage, my entries for Squid Girl, Cowboy Bebop, among a shit-ton of others faded into obscurity.To use an example other than myself, Kung Fu Cthulhu's entry for Metal Gear Solid Game Over Parodies also faded away without being frontpaged.

you have to keep your patrons in mind and KYM’s patrons are all of the internet, not just people who sign up for the site.

Now I'm actually disappointed to hear you say this. Just because there are other viewers on the site besides us, we don't get a say? I'd say everyone gets a say in these kinds of things. We are all the viewers of the site, and those without an account have just as much a right to discuss their opinions as much as we do (even if they can't really do so, not having an account and all…). The purpose of any site is to provide enjoyment for all visitors, whether they have an account or not, and if there's something we don't really agree with, then we'll speak up. I love this site as much as the next person, which is why I wish to help make this site the best it can be, and I can assume the other users feel the same, whether it means suggesting ways we can improve or arguing against things that we don't agree with. If people didn't speak up on these types of things, the site wouldn't be anywhere near as fantastic as it is now.

Alright so let me try and nail this down.

Main problems:

• Too many entries about general every day things that typically appear in televised news, let alone the internet
  • Too many entries about regular movies and media that simply are popular, rather than memetic
  • Too much news reporting and not enough focus on meme reporting
  • Overall not enough digging into the depths of the internet. Most reported content only scratching the surface
  • The sort of information we do want reported is not well defined

Am I interpreting that correctly?

The solution for this comes down to the people making these entries and how we moderate them. I'm not sure how to address the public on that regard and tell them what we need them to know

But fully defining what it is that we do want here, as well as what we don't, is a good start.

I see Random 21 has addressed what he so far, doesn't want to see.

But from this discussion, I am still not certain: What do we want to see?

What should we be covering? Can we summarize it?

amanda b. wrote:

I'm not saying entries from the past should not be updated, and they are worthless. I am saying that they don't have to be frontpaged, as I feel the front page should be for more current things.

Debating which entries are notable enough from a memetic standpoint tends to be frustrating since it's often based on someone's arbitrary criteria for what is "memetic." Personally, I think we should be encouraging people to create well researched/written entries that fit the KYM style, not discouraging certain types.

Internet culture is huge now. It encompasses a much wider variety of topics than it did several years ago. In order for KYM to be a comprehensive Internet culture database, we need to cover events, subcultures/fandoms, people and websites/apps.

Meme coverage is not being sacrificed. We aren't skipping over breaking memes to work on event/subcultures entries. Whenever a big meme pops up like Twitch Plays Pokemon, we always make it the top priority.

Well if you okay with the documentation of fandom entries.. Fine then i don't really see the problem at all.
The only issue is : why would anyone wants to read from KYM beside of fandom wikias or the wikipedia itself? I mean: tropes are mentioned in a different site for example. People in here aren't here for memes?
But i dunno, it is totally up to the staff. Search ratings, interest exc can be the reason. If you think it won't effect the meme documention, alrighty then.

Last edited Feb 23, 2014 at 05:53PM EST

I basically approve staffs decisions.

First, It's no doubt that now staffs are spending most of their time to catch up on-going topics and scoop up celebrities gossips or controversies circulating on social media in people/subculture category entries. However those entries are ugly chimera consisting of inferior copies from other news media and thieve's galleries, stealing a vast amount of celebrities's snapshots, animated gifs or fanarts never triggered by online creative movements from Tumblr, illustrators communities or social media, I'm OK with this. That's because it much more contributes to gain daily accesses and earn money than documenting past topics earnestly. We've been taught it by MLP's entry. I'm also welcome Molly who seems to be hired for accelerating this task.

Second, it's an absolute right of the specialists of internet memes to decide what should be frontpaged on the database dedicated to online phenomenon. Though I haven't heard for a long time that staffs were asked comments or knowledge about internet memes from other media or made presentations at any events or conventions as previous, I'm sure present staffs must be so, too.

At Last, I think the situation of KYM in present-day is led by cheezburger's management and lacking of human resources. Now, any topics easily become viral via social web, and different from late 2000s, it's quickly covered by many online media. People continue consuming it from one minute to the next and they don't pay any attention to past topics or try to get intelligence from the past. I think KYM isn't able to survive without changing its style to keep pace with the times by its small resources.

Here's the bottom line that I think Brad and Don (and Amanda) have done the right choices under their situation and resources.

Therefore, I don't have any complains to except for one thing: I haven't got any motivation for contribution to KYM from staffs' works for quite some time. Stated differently, if staffs themselves had submitted an entry for "special feeling", I would have hesitated whether I should join onto it.

I hope KYM will keep its quality as a reliable and informative database.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 01:32PM EST

Blue Screen wrote:

Am I interpreting that correctly?

Pretty much yeah.

Amanda wrote:

KYM is a living, breathing document and sometimes to understand the future, you have to go back and fill in the history first.

What we're questioning here isn't so much the covering of the past, it's the covering of Events that are occuring right now in the present. Different things. I understand there are plenty of old things we never documented that should be documented. The internet goes back a lot further than many think.

But on the argument of history anyways, remember Project Reconfirmation? Also remember how a lot of old entries are still of shitty quality, or that Google Doc of us with old memes that aren't covered yet that is mostly left untouched?

You can't claim to fill in the history first when some of the actual older memes are being ignored and still have to do with such poor quality entries, while others don't even have entries at all while we are aware of their existance but just chose to not document them.

Don wrote:

Debating which entries are notable enough from a memetic standpoint tends to be frustrating since it’s often based on someone’s arbitrary criteria for what is “memetic.” Personally, I think we should be encouraging people to create well researched/written entries that fit the KYM style, not discouraging certain types.

While I of course agree with your argument that the level of "memetic" is something often based on arbitrary criteria, right now the arbitration on what should be documented comes from a very small group. But this is normal, as using all opinions out there to decide what should be documented would end up in the entire site being Deadpooled and Confirmed at the same time. So no real issue there, but I just wanted to point that out.

But, I do recall some cases where you asked in the mod mail if we should document certain topics to the mods, all the replies (albeit not many) were negative towards that idea, and then you wrote an entry anyways without much of a reply. That's more a "screw opinions" than arbitration if I have to be blunt. But that's more a thing with communication, which is a known issue.

Meme coverage is not being sacrificed. We aren’t skipping over breaking memes to work on event/subcultures entries. Whenever a big meme pops up like Twitch Plays Pokemon, we always make it the top priority.

I'm not questioning that part a single bit, but I am questioning the skipping over older memes (whether they have entries or not). We have plenty of older memes that are documented in entries with a serious lack in quality, and they are kinda just left there. Not to even forget that huge Google Doc the staff and mods have that lists a lot of older memes we'd like to see documented, but from which we barely actually document anything.

As is shown, my main issue is basically the ignorance of the old and notable memes in favor of the new entries everyone forgets about in a week.

I understand that it's required to change the site's focus as the years pass, I agree that we have to adapt to the times, I agree that income through views is also very important. But I just can't help to feel that sometimes we lose the focus of being a "meme encyclopedia" too much while turning into a "hot new internet stuff hub".

It's perfectly ok to have a broader focus in what should be documented, I support that and will never stop doing so, but sometimes it slightly feels that we're just moving the focus instead. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited Feb 24, 2014 at 09:43PM EST

In regard to the concerns about relevancy and notability of certain fandoms, news events and persons we cover, I think Amanda and Don explained our approach quite nicely. With the specific concern of the KYM front-page being too heavy on subculture & fandom coverage, I'll pay more attention to the frequency / interval between non-meme and meme entries, so they can be spread out further apart.

As for the following points made by Random21 and others, we hear you loud and clear. These are valid concerns and we will begin working on solutions or improvements:

- More in-depth research on online-exclusive happenings

- More consistent confirmation schedule for meme entries

- More specific guidelines on subjects topics that are relevant vs. not relevant to KYM

Alright, I'm bumping this thread back up again because there's some things I need to talk about.

Me and RandomMan were discussing two important key points in which we felt the site was still lacking, these being the subjects of Research Focus, my original problem, and communication between Admins, Mods and Users. Now before I start, I would like to acknowledge that there have been improvements in both these fields, there have been both less controversy and subculture entries in bulk, and I've noticed a few threads by the admins asking for help with select research topics. However, there are still big problems I can't just ignore.

Let's start with Research Focus first. Like I said, there have been some improvements in this respect. However, there are still problems I want to address. The first is a really big one, and comes in the form of this entry. Like I'm not quite sure why this exists. Honestly, I want an answer, this has zero online relevance. There is no reason as to why this entry should exist, so why does it? This links to what Brad said in the post above about guidelines about what's relevant, because I don't get it.

This actually links into the second point, which I feel is the bigger problem here. Like I said, an effort has been made, but it's not nearly enough. Let's take Tomodachi Life for example. When the entry was first made it was deadpooled, as the consensus was that it was too early. We even had a thread about it. But despite all that discussion, the admins still front paged the entry. The entry was changed to an event eventually after I kicked up a fuss about it, but that's not the point here. The point is is that are discussion was nullified thanks to the admins. Really, the admins should take note of stuff like that, and the decision should be made with the help of the users in cases like this. But it's not just in special cases like this, it's all the time. There is little to no communication between users, mods and admins anyway. For those who don't know, we mods originally had a weekly mod email sent out in which we would discuss certain key topics about the site. This was mainly handled by Amanda, so after she left, Brad changed it to a monthly email. That lasted a month, and there's hardly been any communication between us since. That's not even mentioning that there is no communication between the admins and users. Amanda used to bee popular among the users for a reason, she took the time out to talk to the users in the forums and have some fun. Now, you'd be lucky to see admins post in Meme Research. That's another issue, the admins don't even come to discuss entry ideas, let alone much else. Lots of good ideas just go to waste because no one cares enough to respond. I understand the admins are busy, but communication with the users is vital in things like this.

Anyway, that about that. Thoughts?

Last edited Apr 27, 2014 at 04:52PM EDT

I already shared it in my previous post on this thread, but communication between the various levels of authority here (staff/mods/users) is and has always been an issue. It has improved, of course, but it's still an issue.

For a recent example the Tomodachi Live entry, as Random 21 said as well. In that thread it was agreed upon that in this stage Tomodachi Live would just not work as a Subculture entry, and my decision to Deadpool a subculture entry about the game that was made was also considered the right one at that point.

So without much of a reply to anyone it's suddenly frontpaged as a subculture. Sure, it's an Event now, but that was after Random 21 pointed it out. The issue remains that all discussion towards the entry as a subculture was disregarded the moment it got frontpaged. I'm not saying that the decision to undeadpool it is wrong, but a reply on the decision would've been nice.

Which brings me to another issue: Feedback and the backlog.

Feedback is there, no worries. As Random 21 said, we have certainly seen improvement after Brad's post above in this thread. But on other cases that are discussed in the mod mail it's sometimes more just a reply than that you can notice change. Issues with the site rules and NSFW guidelines have been brought up countless times in the mod mail, alongside with ideas to fix it. Replies are there, and the staff then says that they will try to fix it.

Days Weeks Months(!) pass and we are still without any fix. For comparison: I happen to know that the Style Guide update was already completed months before it was finally published.

Ideas are there, solutions are there, and replies are there, but it's temporary and put in a backlog after a week. And once you reach that point the only way to really see discussion continue is bringing it forward again yourself.

Last edited Apr 27, 2014 at 04:55PM EDT

Speaking of the Tomodachi Life's case, I know staffs sometimes utilize existing entries to feature (trending) topics on the front page as soon as possible, even though those are mismatched to the themes of existing entries.

As far as I remember, They inserted a section of describing a photo fad to an entry for opening parody videos and a section of describing a photoshoped images of mocking celebrities' stereotyped face expressions to an entry for online illustrators' drawing activity. And in this Tomodachi Life's case, staffs even changed the entry type to cover a buzzword which died in a few days.

It's quite understandable that adding a small section into an existing entry is much more easier than making a new entry from the scratch. And we know KYM's advantage is the integrated operations of articles and image/video galleries. Even if KYM had "News" section just covering trending topics quickly&simply, it would be nothing more than a carbon copy of Gawker, Buzzfeed or Huffpost.

I can't find any better way to catch up with trending topics by the KYMdb system. But I have to say staffs' judges in these cases were awfully impromptu and apparently failed. I hope staffs' more accurate judges when you try covering trending topics.

To bring up another issue of something that was deadpooled then was changed and frontpagged; the current LEGO article that we have was originally about BIONICLE. The article was rewritten, completely changing the focus of the article and leaving just a paragraph to what it was originally documenting. There are also problems with the entry, as the old sources and the tags were unchanged from the original version of the article (many of them now being completely irrelevant and show up nowhere in the article) and very little about the AFOL community (the term AFOL isn't even in the article). I had submitted a suggest change about this and other issues, but these changes were never made, despite it having been frontpagged again after the section with Build with Chrome was added.

While the BIONICLE article wasn't really good, I still don't see why it was better to change the entry from BIONICLE to LEGO instead of just having an entirely new article dedicated to LEGO, seeing as the only thing that remains of the original entry are the mostly useless tags and sources. While sometimes I think it is a good idea to make an article more comprehensive, and do update it if something really notable occurs, there are times when it seems the entire point of the entry has been hijacked just to fit something popular.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!