Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

POLL: do we need a Just For Fun board? (renamed from "Original Purpose")

Last posted Dec 05, 2009 at 10:44AM EST. Added Dec 02, 2009 at 05:14PM EST
46 posts from 21 users

Lately I've noticed that just about every thread now is for just some random thing. It's all posting games. Make a four word story, the stupid questions one, funny pics, or whatever. There's way to much of it! I'm not saying that it's bad. I like the funny stuff around here, and its OK to have a few of those. It's just that I kind of miss the old KYM, where we did more discussing and archiving than playing.

Here's a topic: Should thread games be a category for memes? We play alot of them, and I'm sure there are more that we could mention on here.

Don't worry. Jamiedubs, Bradkim, and I all had a conference call about this the other day. Very soon we will have three seperate boards.

(These are just the working titles)

Meme Research Workshop: for serious research purposes only
General Discussion: What we have now.
Site Feedback: For reporting bugs, submitting ideas for site features, etc

Can't wait 'til it's up-and-running! We definitely need to sort out this jungle of random topic threads and "asking for help on researching this meme" threads.

@ Logan

Meh. We can still do that under General Discussion. It's still practically "General Discussion".

Logan raises an interesting point. During the conference call we discussed whether or not we should have a "games" board seperate from General Discussion.

How about we take a quick and dirty vote?

Vote A: Just-For-Fun/Games should be its own board apart from General Discussion.
Vote B: JFF/Games should be allowed to continue inside of General Discussion.

May I ask but WHY in the world does people have to make so much "funny" threads a day ?
Is it so hard to "have fun" somewhere else and to come here for relatively serious purposes ?

At least, it's not that I could blame the presence of funny game threads, or thing like that, not at all but they're too much of it…
And when someone tries to point out that the more, the worse concerning this, he's accused of cyberbullying (yes, talking about me here), as if flooding for fun was perfectly normal and that makes you a pretty cool who doesn't afraid of anything.

Is it so hard for people to… restrain themselves from creating =>too much<= unrelated threads ?
Isn't it bizarre to feel the need to flood so much in the first place ?

@ Thread

Vote "A" it is then. I guess adding that fourth header would help with sorting even better. Also, I vote for it to be called the Tikibar forum instead of the "Just For Fun" forum. It's catchier and more memorable than a phrase and it's important to KYM's splendid history.

@ Tomberry

Agreed. I'm fine with having "funny" threads but the forums are just flooding with them now. I want KYM to be as semi-professional as possible (joking here and there isn't really bad. A lot of the users do it all the time. Let's just not overdo it). This site's a researching and documenting site. It's a pretty serious business.

So you’re in favor of JFF being out of GD?

Yeah, I choose A.
Even if we must define what "General Discussion" will be about, yeah, if we need a flood section because people need to flood, well yeah, a JFF section will be fine.

It's just a little sad to come to that conclusion and to realize that we can't take some responsibilities toward admins and other users.

As a matter of fact, the contribution's factor also depends on the number of posts you have, and, well, it doesn't really compute well with these threads.

@Tom:
Well, just like any online community, members will begin to feel a sense of friendship with other members as the board develops. At that point, members will want to communicate with each other on friendly levels rather than just staying on topic all the time. That's how friendship works, right? You come together because of a share interest or two, and then the relationship develops beyond that.

Anyway, that's why we need to have a general discussion board, because the active members here know each other and want to have a little fun with each other.

…Also, I vote B.

I'd like to suggest having a broader range of topics:

Meme Research
4chan discussion
-
/a/
-/v/
-
/b/ (unless you want to bring this down because of Rules 1&2…)
-furryanimals and anthromorph
-WapaneseOtaku
-Deadpooled

Site Feedbacks
-bugs
-comments and suggestion
-inquiries

Gen. Discussion (post anything under the sun)
-The Game/Tikibar(as you put it that way :3)
-Lolcats
-Doodlin' and Exploitables
--Rage (they'll doodle random stuffs about their life…
--fsjal (my Gawd, the meme is soo exploitable it lagged many computer)
--Fanfics and Copypasta
--Coolface
-Troll techniques (teach newbies how to troll)
--Trollbusters (teach troll a troll for more trolling and flamewars)

Other random stuffs
-Anime and Manga (GIRUGAMESH!)
-And Gaming! (DDR! Smile.dk)
-Literature
-Movie
-Cartoons and Comics
-Webcomics

Actually I'm thinking of the Meme Research part, and I think it's a bit unnecessary as most of the meme entries have comment boxes on it. Anyone would have a good discussion over there anyway.

Late vote for A.

@Ice Cream, are all those sub forums? Those are way too specific, and some of them are unnecessary. Separate /b/ forum? Trolling forum? We are NOT 4chan.

@Real Genius

Aw shucks.

But I think I would be a mod for all boards and the main site not just the tikibar.

Unless you mean I should be the only mod.

I don't think that would work because of this little thing have called a love of sleep.

But thanks.

I was kind of confused about that too. "Why do they want us to relegate Blubber to The Tikibar when admins are site-wide?" I don't know how we would even enforce that.

Unlike other forums, I think that the KYM forums could easily moderate themselves.

And I am not in favor of any admin being a mod. They regulate the entire site, not just the forums. There should be user mods, and should be elected by the users. Everyone who wants to be a mod should nominate themselves, with no more than 2 nominations in total. Personally, I would be willing to moderate The Tikibar, seeing as how I suggested it, and the amount of free time I have. If that's not cool with you guys, then I understand.

What I meant by self moderation is that all of the current KYM users seem to call someone out on something that they are doing wrong. They all seem to know each other fairly well, which is an essential element for self moderation.

Oi Oi… I like random stuff, in fact, I'm kinda guilty bout making random threads. Heh heh, sorry folks. But nevertheless, this is still the internet and the internet is filled with randomness.
So, I do believe I shall cast "A" in this case. I think this will clear up a lot of space for some srs buisness bout memes, while the kiddos have a place to play.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!