Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

The KYM Site Traffic Advertising Campaign

Last posted Apr 28, 2014 at 05:03AM EDT. Added Feb 25, 2014 at 08:55PM EST
19 posts from 9 users

So, as most of us know, KYM is no where near at the popularity of most other wikis and social networks out there. It is a relatively small community where it is easy to stand out (which I do like).

However, something needs to be done about this site's low traffic. This thread is to discuss ways in which we could spread the site around. I'm sure that if more people knew about this site, it would be more popular. The problem is that most people have never heard of our wonderful little KYM. How could we spread the good news? There's always sharing the crap out of everything on social networks, but I'm talking about more obscure solutions. I've actually started telling some of my meme-loving friends IRL about this site. 9 out of 10 (about) liked what they saw, so I've got that going for us.

I think one thing that made this site popular in the first place was the videos. Those got KYM lots of attention when on YouTube and such. Now that they might be cancelled, we need something else that is catchy.

Some suggestions on what you can discuss are ways to spread word of KYM and things that might captivate the masses that is exclusive to KYM and makes it stand out like the video series did.

Ready…

GO!

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 08:57PM EST

Strangely enough, this idea has come up before too. Ultimately, users agreed that KYM doesn't need a booming population of users. We do fine with what we have. KYM was never meant to be a hub for social interaction, even if we have forums. I think we're fine this way.

Edit: Also, why is this in Site Related? This isn't really an issue with anything about KYM as a site.

Last edited Feb 25, 2014 at 09:22PM EST

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

Strangely enough, this idea has come up before too. Ultimately, users agreed that KYM doesn't need a booming population of users. We do fine with what we have. KYM was never meant to be a hub for social interaction, even if we have forums. I think we're fine this way.

Edit: Also, why is this in Site Related? This isn't really an issue with anything about KYM as a site.

I have to agree. While I do want a bit more activity, I don't really want KYM to be a "bustling hub" or anything. It's still interesting to see what ideas people can come up with.

As for why it's in site-related, it is related to the site. We're thinking of ways we can make the site more enticing for outsiders. How is that not relevant? But… If you still don't think it belongs here you could redirect it to General or whatever. I honestly don't care where this is.

@Randomman

Yeah, pretty much.

You know what's the most effective way to shove KYM into everyone's throats increase our site traffic? Advertising!
More out-of-KYM forum ads = More pissed-off people = More people curious what KYM is = More site traffic!
sarcasm

But seriously though, KYM doesn't need more users. It only needs a more welcoming community.
And also more newcomers should actually read the rules.

Gary wrote:

Whenever I search up memes, KYM is usually, if not, the first result for the meme.

Search result order is heavily based off your internet history. KYM is nearly always the first or second result for me. In image search results not so much, but on google web search results, nearly always.

@Thread Topic: The original thing that pretty much brought me to the actual KYM site was ponies, but I had known about it previously due to the videos. I honestly wish they would start up again, and if not, that the site admins would let us create our own site endorsed ones. It would probably help bring in a lot more traffic if we did. (Of course this would be hard to control probably. Especially since KYM is a trademark of Cheezburger.)

Oooh! Oooh! I got one! What if I created an unofficial android app for the site? I don't know if this would work, as I've never created an app before, but I know Java, C, and can fiddle my way around HTML/javascript, so I should be able to build something. Right now browsing KYM on the mobile-net is kinda hard and would be so much easier with an app. With something like 10-20% of hits coming from mobile devices on most websites, it would totally be worth it. Thoughts?

The Cute Master :3 wrote:

Search result order is heavily based off your internet history. KYM is nearly always the first or second result for me. In image search results not so much, but on google web search results, nearly always.

@Thread Topic: The original thing that pretty much brought me to the actual KYM site was ponies, but I had known about it previously due to the videos. I honestly wish they would start up again, and if not, that the site admins would let us create our own site endorsed ones. It would probably help bring in a lot more traffic if we did. (Of course this would be hard to control probably. Especially since KYM is a trademark of Cheezburger.)

Really? What browser are you using? I did not know that. But even before I knew of KYM or came here, it was among the first.

Mods are given access to actual numbers and stats regarding site-wide views. Let's just say for a website run by 4 people, it's not doing that bad. (at least, I don't think it is. I'm no expert. ;-;)

Well, the alexa rankings don't look too bad…

But I still think they could do better. 2k is nothing to sneeze about, but this site could easily move up 500 if traffic were improved a little. With reddit, tumblr, and 4chan all being in the top 1k, we should be right near them I say. (wow. 4chan has slipped to 991 while tumblr is up at 35 and reddit at 65.)

Edit: Are any of those bottom numbers given to you? I don't know where alexa get's its sources.

Last edited Feb 26, 2014 at 09:26PM EST

@Thread
I think one of the main reasons that not a lot of people use the website regularly is because people don't know a lot about it. I mean, the youtube channel has over 23 million views, the entries are pretty popular (especially with the Slenderman one having over 13 million views), and a lot of people I know have heard of the site. I think the main problem is that people just don't know enough about the site to find it very interesting. I, for one, knew about this site for almost 2 years before I joined, but I didn't find it very interesting because I thought it was only for researching memes. It was only until I discovered the image galleries that I actually got interested in the site.
@Cutie Masters app idea
I would love having an app for KYM. Whenever I use KYM on a phone, it's always super glitchy and a huge pain to use.

@app: It's been eating at me almost all day. I really want to make one. I just need the right tools/time to get something together. Right now I don't even have an IDE or any SDKs on this laptop and have no prior app designing knowledge. I've been looking at android programming books, but we'll see. Don't be expecting anything this century though. lol. I've still got school studies I have to worry about. (Right now I'm putting off learning how to program a MIPS processor to post on KYM. lol.)

I just thought this would be interesting and relevant to the thread. I stumbled across some numbers, and apparently a little more than a 1/3rd of web traffic comes from mobile views. Right now we apparently average just under 6 Mil a month, which means 2 Mil of that comes from mobile. I could only imagine what making an app would do to those numbers. I'm not completely sure I could do it, but I really want to do it now. Oh! And my source for those numbers:

Apparently Cheezeburger pays to keep some of the numbers/stats private. Dunno why. lol.

Last edited Apr 26, 2014 at 01:37PM EDT

Holy cow. I didn't realize mods were given such extensive access to stats, since I never really looked into it. We get access to hourly visits, how many visits we get through referrals from other websites, facebook stats, search stats etc. I'm not sure if I can share anything, but we're doing really well with views, if not with how many unique visitors we have.

@Cute Master

Care to share your source on where you got that 6 million a month from? I looked into it and we easily make 6M in less than a week.

Same for that 1/3rd mobile source of course.

Quantcast.com

They give off a number of about 160k views per/day. That number seems reasonable to me since most articles don't show more than 20k views in a day once they get frontpaged. Quantcast shows Cheezeburger Networks @ 17.6 Mil views though which isnt even close to what your data suggest. Idk how they're getting their numbers though. Maybe it's just estimation? It looks lile Cheezeburger is subscribed to them though since they have certain data hidden on that site by request of owner.

Edit: That 160k views was US only. Global shows 340k views a day.

Also, their data shows 340k being at a valley. It shows we peaked last week at about 430k views. (It gives daily data for the past 3 years, or about the time Cheezeburger took over.) Based on those two numbers and averaged over a month, their numbers should show closer in the ballpark of 10-12 Million views/month.

Last edited Apr 28, 2014 at 05:21AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!