Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,697 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

Reverse Image Search?

Last posted Mar 21, 2014 at 03:08PM EDT. Added Mar 18, 2014 at 06:24PM EDT
9 posts from 4 users

I think he means something along the lines of google's reverse image search. I usually have the exact image I'm looking for, so for me, a simple (non-robust) comparison model would work just fine. The implementation actually doesn't look that bad. The process itself would be something like….

This

This

And this

As for the economics of this… I dunno.

Slutty Sam wrote:

Hmmm… Sounds pretty complicated. It could be useful, but I'm not sure if a website like KYM could pull it off or if it would really be worth it.

This would be really great. As an archivist, it's inevitable that I will accidentally repost something, though I try my best not to. Not all images are tagged and the system that prevents the same image upload to a gallery doesn't always work. It would be great if I could put in a new image I think is worth uploading into a search and look for the image like that.

Of course this wouldn't work very well for say, the Tumblr image gallery, because they all look pretty similar.

Cornonjacob wrote:

This would be really great. As an archivist, it's inevitable that I will accidentally repost something, though I try my best not to. Not all images are tagged and the system that prevents the same image upload to a gallery doesn't always work. It would be great if I could put in a new image I think is worth uploading into a search and look for the image like that.

Of course this wouldn't work very well for say, the Tumblr image gallery, because they all look pretty similar.

I actually don't think that's a problem. The image search would not work well, no, but this community has been excellent with preventing reposts in that specific gallery.

Panda wrote:

I actually don't think that's a problem. The image search would not work well, no, but this community has been excellent with preventing reposts in that specific gallery.

There have been a few situations where someone has reposted, and I was unable to find the original after looking for half an hour.
But it would work pretty well in the MLP gallery, that thing is huge.
Reposts aren't as bad as I make them out to be, but they do annoy me.

Right, yeah, that's what I meant. The mlp gallery is terrible about reposts, so that would be a nice tool. I was just saying that it's inability to search the tumblr gallery specifically would not be a problem.

Depending on how heavy the server load is for image uploads, I'm imagining something like the uploader submitting an image, and if the system finds a (possible) copy, it will say "found possible duplicates, are you sure you want to post this?" It would need to show them the image it found of course since it will certainly be wrong sometimes.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!