Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

13,986 total conversations in 1,018 threads

+ New Thread


Subjective/more relevant galleries discussion

Last posted Apr 21, 2014 at 01:17AM EDT. Added Mar 23, 2014 at 01:01AM EDT
26 posts from 9 users

This stems a bit from this thread and seeing quite a few uploads in several of the trending galleries. While some entries have a very clear idea of what is and is not relevant, others are significantly less clear, and often have very broad interpretations of what is/ is not relevant by different users. There is also the issue of images in many galleries that are not really irrelevant, but would be more relevant in other entries.

I wanted to see other people’s thoughts as to what kind of images do you think should be considered relevant or irrelevant to galleries. For example: Alternative Universe and Tumblr have large amounts of images that, while maybe not irrelevant, I personally think would be better suited in other galleries. Ruined Childhood/ Childhood Enhanced seems to have very broad interpretations on what some uploaders post, and I personally don’t think that many are relevant. I’d like to have at least a bit of discussion on galleries as a whole, though as long as not just one subject gets focus, I think some specific suggestions will be fine.

I guess something to start off would be, should galleries (especially those with huge numbers of uploads) have images moved out of them if more relevant galleries exist, provided they are not already present in those other galleries? Also, should better guidelines be in place on galleries that can be very subjective, and if so, what kind of guidelines?

Last edited Mar 23, 2014 at 01:15AM EDT
Mar 23, 2014 at 01:01AM EDT
Quote

Alright, since nothing else has seemed to happen here, I’ll address something specific and see what others think.

Should images uploaded to entries that are dedicated to specific phrases have that phrase (or some near variation) present in that image?

Some galleries seem to be pretty good about having the phrase present in the images (Ha Ha Ha, No, Ha Ha Ha, Oh Wow ,Neat, Your Argument is Invalid, Cool Story Bro, Swag, YOLO)

Other galleries have some images that do not have this phrase depending on which parts of the gallery you go to.
(Desu, ’Dat Ass, Edgy, Do A Barrel Roll)

And then there are others that, while they have some images that do have the exact phrase in the image, also have have many images that are supposed to give you the response the article was documenting (Dafuq, Wat, WTF, Heresy, When You See It, What Has Been Seen Cannot Be Unseen, Cringeworthy) (Yes, I know that Cringeworthy has been locked indefinitely, but it’s pretty notable in this category when it wasn’t completely off topic.)

Now please note that I’m just asking. I have personally uploaded stuff that does not have that exact phrase into some of those galleries. Also, if you feel that this should apply to some galleries and not others, please say so. For example: I’m personally fine with “when you see it” lacking the exact text, but am bothered by stuff that is uploaded to the edgy gallery because someone thought it was “edgy”.

Last edited Mar 23, 2014 at 09:15PM EDT
Mar 23, 2014 at 09:10PM EDT
Quote

The number one reason for image misuse is that these galleries such Childhood Enhanced and Ruined, Tumblr, and Video game logic get a lot of views. so people here just upload all kinds of images because they want views, upvotes, and comments

Mar 23, 2014 at 09:36PM EDT
Quote

Preston wrote:

The number one reason for image misuse is that these galleries such Childhood Enhanced and Ruined, Tumblr, and Video game logic get a lot of views. so people here just upload all kinds of images because they want views, upvotes, and comments

Well, part of me wants to believe that at least some people just don’t know we have galleries dedicated to certain things. I know that this has happened to me a few times in the past.

This leads into another issue I wanted to bring up in this thread. Because there are so many images in some galleries, and many of those images are about memes/ subcultures we already have full entires on, should there be an effort to move out some images from very broad galleries into more specific and better fitting galleries, provided they are not already present?

I know this wouldn’t really fix the problem, but it might make it easier to find things, and would put images in places where they would be significantly more relevant.

Any thoughts?

Mar 25, 2014 at 05:09PM EDT
Quote

It think that in Tumblr, only pictures directly related to the site should be allowed and just random pictures people find on Tumblr should be put in their respective galleries. For edgy, what has been Seen Cannot Be Unseen, Dat Ass, and heresy, I think only posts related to the word/phrase should be allowed. All the random fan art of WH40K in the Heresy gallery belong in the WH40K gallery. Dafuq, WTF, When You See It, Do A Barrel Roll, and Wat I think are allowed to have images only regarding the phenomena itself because it has worked well for these galleries so far. If Cringeworthy was still up, I think that it would have worked like Edgy should in the way that only direct use of the phrase should be allowed.


As for your suggestion about moving pics to galleries that fit what category they go under more, that’s not really an issue. KYM is meant to be extensive in every aspect, especially since it’s a database. If an image only vaguely fits a gallery but still fits just enough, it should stay. Maybe a copy should be reposted to a place where it would belong more instead of just moving them.

Last edited Mar 25, 2014 at 08:07PM EDT
Mar 25, 2014 at 08:03PM EDT
Quote

Sam wrote:

I think that in Tumblr, only pictures directly related to the site should be allowed and just random pictures people find on Tumblr should be put in their respective galleries.

I disagree with that idea partially. Screencaps of Tumblr conversations, reblogs, images, additions, etc etc etc. show Tumblr culture through direct examples, and are therefore completely related to the article. For a comparison in that: The 4chan entry. A lot of images in that entry are screencaps from 4chan threads which are called relevant because they show 4chan culture.

Can you give me an idea of these “random images people find on Tumblr”?

As for your suggestion about moving pics to galleries that fit what category they go under more, that’s not really an issue. KYM is meant to be extensive in every aspect, especially since it’s a database.

What you said above also clashes with what you’re saying here. It’s not biggy, but it got me confused on what you really aim for now.


Jacob wrote:

Should images uploaded to entries that are dedicated to specific phrases have that phrase (or some near variation) present in that image?

Phrase entries are a difficult case, as for example “Dat Ass” is such a widely used phrase that all fandoms and memes may contain it in a way.

I commonly run with what is the most dominant in the picture. If it includes a lot of fandom references, the fandom entry. But should it only use a character with the phrase to be used as a general reaction image, the phrase entry. Of course both entries is ok should it be difficult to tell.

When it comes to triggers though, again with Dat Ass: Should the phrase not be present, it is nothing more than a random picture of an ass that is supposed to trigger “Dat Ass” with the viewer. This trigger is of course opinion based though, so I say go with removing unless the reaction image clearly shows it will trigger that (random gif of an ass, so remove & shows a clear trigger through the sticker and face, so keep).

Of course this is my own opinion and not some law, feel free to counter me if you believe I’m wrong.


Jacob also wrote:

This leads into another issue I wanted to bring up in this thread. Because there are so many images in some galleries, and many of those images are about memes/ subcultures we already have full entires on, should there be an effort to move out some images from very broad galleries into more specific and better fitting galleries, provided they are not already present?

In theory, yes. But we all know that nobody has the time to go do that. I pity the soul who has to dig through the MLP gallery.

So if you are going to execute this plan, you either need organised team effort, or keep it simple if you can’t organise it and only check through the most recent x% of the uploads (x depending on the quantity).

The images who got through deep down in the gallery are just lucky and won’t get removed then. It’s unfortunate, but it’s a sacrifice you have to make in executing this.

Last edited Mar 25, 2014 at 08:56PM EDT
Mar 25, 2014 at 08:54PM EDT
Quote

@ Sam, It’s good to hear other input on some of that.

With Tubmlr, random funny stuff that we don’t have articles dedicated to I think is fine in the galley. I’ve just seen a lot of stuff that is of other meme/ subcultures which was put in the Tumblr gallery because the uploader saw it on Tumblr. I personally think it would be better if those images were flagged for moving as opposed to being reposted, as I’m of the opinion that reposts are better if an image is nearly equally relevant in more than one gallery


This image is equally relevant in Tumblr and Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared. This image is equally relevant in Valentine’s Day E-cards and Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared, but not Tumblr.

That having been said, if others think reposting it into other galleries would be better, I’ll suck it up and just do that.

One of the other galleries that I wanted to address about this was Reaction Faces. While we do have a thread dedicated to flagging non-reactions, should we do something about images that are of other memes we have entries on, but are still usable as reactions? This also becomes a more interesting issue as many of these kinds of images were uploaded before an article on KYM existed for many of them.

Last edited Mar 25, 2014 at 08:58PM EDT
Mar 25, 2014 at 08:56PM EDT
Quote

@Random

Example of a random pic that could have been in another gallery but was put in Tumblr for upvotes:


I think screenshots that include activity on Tumblr are valid, but just images from Tumblr shouldn’t be posted. Get what I’m saying? Jacob made a good comparison.

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:09PM EDT
Quote

@Sam

Spot the main character in the anime is a popular trope on Tumblr. Might not be ultra common, but those images can often be found there. Dunno if it can be called entry material already, haven’t really digged into it, but that’s a discussion for elsewhere.

But yeah, through tropes and in-jokes like that, a legit upload that is relevant to the gallery can be mistaken as irrelevant. Like Jacob pointed out in the reaction faces gallery, where reaction faces related to memes were uploaded before the meme entry was created.

If it is of course related to a meme that we have an entry for, and only shows that image and has no link in it that may connect it to Tumblr (so just the image), then yes, move it. If there is a link found however with the site (like the image being a screenshot), I believe it might be save to keep it.

Last edited Mar 25, 2014 at 09:17PM EDT
Mar 25, 2014 at 09:16PM EDT
Quote

@ RandomMan
There have been a few instances of images that are somewhat random being uploaded into the Tumblr gallery ( here’s a recent one ) (Sam ninjaed me) They are comparatively rare, and sometimes get comments saying that they would be better elsewhere, but do get uploaded because they were “seen on Tumblr”. I’m more concerned about images that better shows documentation of other memes/ subcultures than Tumblr in the Tumblr gallery, as that has become pretty common place.

Trigger images- This was what I was curious about, as they are extremely subjective. Trigger images IMO do not in the image in and of themselves show spread of the phrase. But of course, they can show spread of the concept of the phrase within the image, so that’s why I thought it was worth asking about. I think I completely agree with your distinction with those examples

As for execution: I’m fine with doing it myself (though I certainly won’t stop anyone who would want to help). Obviously, Not every image is going to be got, but then again, I don’t think any about of help would actually get all of them. I’m a little bit wary about the MLP gallery for moving images. Wanting to move stuff to other pony entries I don’t think would bother anyone. I know there are a lot of uploads that would be better in the ponification gallery. However, I also know some people still want MLP “on its half of the site” so moving an MLP image to a more relevant gallery may cause problems with some users. If others think I should go ahead though, I can suck it up and do that,

Last edited Mar 25, 2014 at 09:18PM EDT
Mar 25, 2014 at 09:16PM EDT
Quote

However, I also know some people still want MLP “on its half of the site” so moving an MLP image to a more relevant gallery may cause problems with some users. If others think I should go ahead though, I can suck it up and do that,

Moving MLP gallery images to sub-entries of MLP will still make it so that the “Show Fewer Ponies” button removes them, as both the main and sub-galleries are affected by it. So there’s no reason for people to complain there.

The “ponies ruined this meme” folks however in other entries, can kinda go suck it imo. If it’s related to the meme, it can stay, and fandom adaptations are signs of spread thus legit for the entry.

Mar 25, 2014 at 09:20PM EDT
Quote

@ RandomMan: I’m getting started tagging stuff then. One Question though, should stuff that was uploaded before the entry for that exact thing be moved? There area a lot of images for MLP submemes that I don’t know which happened to be on the site first (or know for a fact that the entry was made later). However, since the gallery sizes on some of those memes are pretty small, I can note pretty quickly really fast if they are/not in those galleries. Should images older than the entry stuff be noted to be moved there if they are not already in those galleries? Especially when it comes to the MLP gallery, I don’t think too many people will see year or older uploads, but I thought it would be better to ask.

Last edited Mar 25, 2014 at 09:58PM EDT
Mar 25, 2014 at 09:54PM EDT
Quote

I don’t see how the “Heresy” page is a pro- Holy shit, Derpy Vazquez went to town on that.

I think a bunch of those images could be moved to the MLP and WH40K pages or something.

Mar 26, 2014 at 01:16AM EDT
Quote

So, Loli asked me if I thought these two images were relevant to the Tumblr gallery. The full response is on my wall, but here’s the TL;DR version: I think that the first is pushing it, and should be discouraged. However, since it could be argued as spread of Tumblr on other sites, it isn’t irrelevant enough to merit doing much about. The second one however, since it only makes sense in the context of the original images and is meta humor, should not be in the gallery.

However, as RandomMan said about the Tumblr gallery earlier: “If there is a link found, however, with the site (like the image being a screenshot), I believe it might be safe to keep it.” However, I’m not certain if stuff like this is what he had in mind when he said that.

Any thoughts as to if if those images are/ are not relevant, and, more importantly, why? I know other galleries (particularly MLP) have had problems with meta images, but when it comes to sites (especially sites like Tumblr where reblogging is a major function) I’m not sure if it’s the same kind of issue.

Last edited Mar 26, 2014 at 05:34PM EDT
Mar 26, 2014 at 05:31PM EDT
Quote

I was going to post the answer on Jacob’s wall but I prefer doing it here.

The first one is, IMO, a clearly attemp to follow the joke, and is not the first I see the OP posting site-related images in other galleries. I don’t consider that the image belongs there neither; personally, I’d like to know why OP put it there.

The second one is, by far, an obvious meta joke and an attemp to make another in-joke.

I want to believe the OP post it there because he felt it’s somewhat related to the Tumblr entry but, to be honest, I’m not so sure of that.


Funny, users are trying to force another in-joke in the Tumblr gallery.

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3


Example 4

Okay, ¿Why is Platus there? ¿Shouldn’t he be trying to stop it?


Example 5

Example 6

Example 7

Last edited Mar 27, 2014 at 12:45PM EDT
Mar 27, 2014 at 12:17PM EDT
Quote

@Loli

Ugh… You expected they would eventually learn from Cringeworthy.

I’m removing all images from the gallery and have just tagged them “screencap inception”. All users (and Platus) have also received a PM about this. If you have more, you are free to PM them to me.

Last edited Mar 28, 2014 at 08:12AM EDT
Mar 28, 2014 at 08:12AM EDT
Quote

Speaking of screencaps, how about all those image uploads that have the MLP gallery not being #1 and the uploader makes a big fuss over it. We have three of them in the KLK gallery as a result from the finale that aired and that one post that got buried in the Natalia gallery.

Why do people even upload them in the first place? It’s just a waste of an upload.

Mar 28, 2014 at 03:51PM EDT
Quote

Kotor wrote:

Speaking of screencaps, how about all those image uploads that have the MLP gallery not being #1 and the uploader makes a big fuss over it. We have three of them in the KLK gallery as a result from the finale that aired and that one post that got buried in the Natalia gallery.

Why do people even upload them in the first place? It’s just a waste of an upload.

They’re not supposed to be in there. Really, there aren’t supposed to be ANY meta image on this website, as it doesn’t count as documentation of the person, meme, subculture, or event. So juxtapositions, “OMG we beatz MLP!!!!!1!”, or user-to-user attacks/commendations are all not allowed.

For most galleries, that’s an easy fix – report the images. For MLP, it’s nearly impossible with all of the image dumps/duplicates that show up. Best options are to either have a mod dedicated to going through it once a day removing those images/duplicates, or to report them as they come. Both options need someone to go and remind users not to post that kind of content.

Mar 28, 2014 at 04:42PM EDT
Quote

Kotor wrote:

Speaking of screencaps, how about all those image uploads that have the MLP gallery not being #1 and the uploader makes a big fuss over it. We have three of them in the KLK gallery as a result from the finale that aired and that one post that got buried in the Natalia gallery.

Why do people even upload them in the first place? It’s just a waste of an upload.

Harshwinny already explained it. Completely unrelated, very annoying, and also completely outdone already.

They are removed on sight, as have your examples.

Mar 28, 2014 at 05:52PM EDT
Quote

So here’s something I wanted to bring up a bit earlier. I mentioned this in my PPG Art Style Parodies thread, but here I think would be a better place for a discussion about it. To quote the important bit:

“Something from your childhood being being enhanced (IMO) should be either a reference present in the actual subject material
(I’ve tried like 10 times to get the image to embed or link but for some reason, it doesn’t want to cooperate, so here’s just the plain Web URL: http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/dhovtg8oBTY/hqdefault.jpg

something that is not immediately directed towards one’s childhood, but is pretty awesome just the same.

or, if being generous, something from ones childhood being upgraded to “big boy toys”

I personally don’t think “just fan art”, even if it is in the style of something that was in one’s childhood fits, at all. Its just fan art. The same goes for Ruined Childhood."

The thing is, that is just my opinion. I know that the purpose of galleries is to document those things on the internet. While I may disagree with the internet at times, that has no bearing on the relevance of the content of those galleries. Also, the first line of the Childhood enhanced gallery states it- “is an expression used to describe characters from children’s fiction that have been updated for mature audiences.” so it may be a case of my ideas on what should be relevant is just wrong.

Another issue with those two galleries in particular is that there are a lot of images that are just the cover/ title/ screen cap mentioning a new sequel/prequel that “enhances/ ruins” one’s childhood by the sheer fact that it exists (and sometimes the same images are posted in both.) I’m not certain that those (at the very least, in reference to Childhood Enhanced) should be considered relevant. However, seeing as the function of the galleries is to document things on the internet I’m not so sure.

Last edited Apr 01, 2014 at 12:41AM EDT
Apr 01, 2014 at 12:26AM EDT
Quote

@Jacob

I have to agree that those galleries are heavily abused yet no one bats an eye. Another issue with those galleries is that people sometimes upload things that aren’t even related to “Childhood” per say. I think there should be a date limit or something, because there are people who upload about very recent things like “Adventure Time” or something which can’t really be from someone’s childhood unless they’re really young and still are children, but in that case, it wouldn’t count as “Childhood” really.

Apr 01, 2014 at 10:17PM EDT
Quote

Ruthless Reaper wrote:

@Jacob

I have to agree that those galleries are heavily abused yet no one bats an eye. Another issue with those galleries is that people sometimes upload things that aren’t even related to “Childhood” per say. I think there should be a date limit or something, because there are people who upload about very recent things like “Adventure Time” or something which can’t really be from someone’s childhood unless they’re really young and still are children, but in that case, it wouldn’t count as “Childhood” really.

Eh, as much as I kinda want to agree on recent things not being relevant, any sort of cut off date would be arbitrary and eventually irrelevant. I would think that stuff like the Simpsons or Family Guy, which was never really intended for children, may be something that could be a bit less arbitrary to make rules on.

Apr 01, 2014 at 10:59PM EDT
Quote

As I’m sure most of you know by now, I’ve been pressing people lately for posting incorrect crap in the Childhood Ruined/Enhanced galleries, and it seems as though many people agree(?)

This image in Childhood Ruined is an interesting example, where my comment bashing the abuse of the gallery gets about as many collective upvotes as the image itself. If there’s one thing this tells me, it’s this: people are aware of the gallery abuse but don’t care enough to do anything about it. I know back when Cringeworthy was still up, sometimes I’d see a funny image in the Trending Page and upvote it before realizing it was in the Cringeworthy gallery and didn’t belong there at all (another problem raised by the fact we cannot undo our up/downvotes).

You guys have been discussing what counts as Ruined Childhood and Childhood Enhanced. As I mention in the comments in the linked image, for such an image to count it needs to retroactively enhance/ruin your childhood. Defining it in such a manner would remove a large portion of the images that don’t belong. However, those galleries are still subjective to an extent, and some people will will still disagree on what does and doesn’t ruin/enhance a childhood.

The thing is, those galleries need to take a backseat other galleries that it would better belong in. But with multiple awesome people we’ve been getting recently, we are making a change. I’m still planning on making a video or two to raise awareness of these issues, but I haven’t had the opportunity to do so.

Apr 02, 2014 at 11:21PM EDT
Quote

“The thing is, those galleries need to take a backseat other galleries that it would better belong in.”

This is one of the biggest issues I wanted to bring up with this thread. While I agree with the images Deltamon bring up, especially because most of those images he brings up are obvious image abuse, galleries such as Alternative Universe and Tumblr seem to be the worst examples of this in terms of volume. And this may be due to the fact that, unlike Enhanced/ruined childhood, most of these examples do actually fall under the parameters of the intent of the galleries. However, I think that an image representing a specific subculture/ meme would be more relevant in that Subculture/ meme’s specific gallery. However, RandomMan did say “If it is of course related to a meme that we have an entry for, and only shows that image and has no link in it that may connect it to Tumblr (so just the image), then yes, move it. If there is a link found however with the site (like the image being a screenshot), I believe it might be save to keep it.” So I’m curious if it would be better to just repost all the images I thought would be better in other galleries instead of just flagging them to be moved into those other galleries.

Apr 04, 2014 at 09:59PM EDT
Quote

So this conversation happened over a Fullmetal Alchemist image posted to the Childhood enhanced gallery.

My argument was basically that, since FMA is not children’s fiction it shouldn’t be in an entry dedicated to “characters from children’s fiction that have been updated for mature audiences.” Then there’s also the whole other issue of how characters playing metal would “enhance” one’s childhood anyways. I also said that, since we have a full entry now for FMA, it would be much more relevant to post that image there.

I’ll be honest, every time I make suggestions to people about things like tags, sourcing images or reading the entry description to get a sense of what images are relevant, I feel like a jerk. Is there a better way to go about this? I don’t like getting into arguments with users, but I hate seeing galleries misused.

Apr 21, 2014 at 12:41AM EDT
Quote

I feel your pain there Jacob. Unfortunately, I’ve realized that if I want people to be aware of this misuse and abuse, I’ll have to play the bad guy. My problem isn’t really when people are clueless about their abuse of a gallery, my problem is when users become defiant and get difficult with you.

While I hate to point fingers, Ox Doxon has really pushed my buttons with this image he put in Ruined Childhood. He already put it in GIF, put it in at least two articles’ comments sections and now also put it in RC likely for some easy upvotes. When I pointed out how this image doesn’t belong there for good reason, he plays it off and isn’t even willing to give a valid argument why it does belong in RC.

And while I’m pointing fingers… Well, there are certain users you can point out as being main problems for us. King Kabuki’s image gallery speaks for itself with just how little s/he understands how the Childhood galleries work, and if a mod or someone of high status reads this, would you mind giving the user a little talk about, y’know, NOT doing this? (I’d love to do it myself, but I have the feeling little ol’ Delta would get blown off)

Apr 21, 2014 at 01:17AM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!