Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Should we have an In-Jokes category?

Last posted Apr 12, 2014 at 03:55PM EDT. Added Apr 12, 2014 at 12:22PM EDT
6 posts from 5 users

Some memes from the sub-cultures on this site may be pretty popular in their own fandoms. (Example, some Derpy Hooves from MLP or Takarada from Kill La Kill), but unlike other memes such as Harlem Shake, it hasn't spread much farther than their fandoms. Should we create a new category for memes that are popular in their fandoms but not outside their niches? That way users, who complain that a fandom meme is not a meme as it hasn't become popular enough to outsiders, will recognize that it's still popular enough to be a meme. But as a meme that is for the fandoms of a subculture. Some subculture memes can be exceptions, such as "Let It Go" which is popular to even those outside the Frozen fandom.

Last edited Apr 12, 2014 at 12:25PM EDT

Thank god OP, I was almost worried here you were suggesting a category for the in-joke cancer on this site.

But the meme category works for that. In-joke wouldn't even be correct for the term as it's more an in-meme, which can be seen as a subcategory of memes, so the Meme category works there.

Something doesn't need internet-wide spread to be considered a meme. Even if it stayed within a fandom, of course assuming that it had good spread within that fandom, it still has met the qualifications to be considered a meme.

For the notable in-jokes within fandoms which haven't really reached notable meme level yet, we often just make headers within the Subculture entries. So with an in-joke category you would be giving all those tiny headers a complete, possibly tiny, entry. They're in-jokes, so there isn't really much to fill an entry with.

And comments who say that something isn't a meme aren't really taken serious anyway. If we started taking comments serious, everything on this site would be deadpooled by now. They often follow the logic of "I haven't heard of it, therefore it isn't a meme", which is a crap reason.

I was getting ready to come here and simply say "no." I think that title there is going to give a lot of people the wrong idea, heh.

That aside, I have to agree with RM, if only because of the way that this site orders memes. I would probs agree with making an "in-joke" category for the site if not for the fact that such in-jokes that have their own articles are always "sub-memes." A meme spawned from KLK or MLP will say at the top of its page that it is a sub-meme of KLK or MLP or whatever thing it came from. I feel that's enough to not warrant another category, personally.

Thank god OP, I was almost worried here you were suggesting a category for the in-joke cancer on this site.

Oh, good. I don't have to explain something with one hand while facepalming with the other.

But since others thought that as well and since Deltamelon and RM have already stated my opinions on it, if KYM had its own Internet fandom or if the site became highly notable (e.g., if a 4chan board were to raid us because we were killing the integrity of memes, Newgrounds began to hate us, we get mentioned by The Lonely Island in a song, etc.) and we had our own memes specific to our site, would things such as Goat-tan RandomMan's status and notoriety become suitable for entries under the umbrella of KYM?

Last edited Apr 12, 2014 at 03:03PM EDT

@Verbose

Should a KYM in-joke manage to spread outside of KYM and get notable spread+attention on the internet, it no longer is an in-joke related to this site and has trancended to meme status, making it suitable for documentation on KYM. Same for an internet-wide meme that makes use or fun of KYM and/or the site's status on the internet.

Our reason for coverage at that point isn't "Lol injoke forcing xD" anymore, but just documenting what's big on the internet, a thing that then just so happens to be related to KYM, which is a legit reason. Leonardo DiCaprio and Xzibit will join forces that day.

Last edited Apr 12, 2014 at 03:59PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!