Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,697 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

Meme-worthy ranking

Last posted Aug 25, 2009 at 07:33PM EDT. Added Aug 08, 2009 at 06:19PM EDT
21 posts from 11 users

This site is getting pretty flooded with data and it seems like people are posting whatever they can find more than one jpg of just to claim a meme as their own.

Half the comments seem to be debating the meme-worthiness.

Is it possible to implement a meme-worthy ranking system (like youtubes not-crap-worthy 5 star ranking system)? I think it would be very useful in separating the wheat from the chaff.

Xippy_

Cpt. Blubber: Sorry. Even I bring the failz.

Cooper Smith:

It is kind of out of control. This site is meant to increase organization and all that crap. So, when we're subjected to entries like this, my little heart breaks.

Tell me you wouldn't want to rank that straight to fail.

Sub-sections?

What do you call this Pterodactyl?

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/im-twelve-years-old-and-what-is-this-troll

"Part of a series on trolling."

I thought it was fairly obvious.

The main problem seems to be that the people who are excited about the popularity of this site and want to register something don't seem to understand what a meme actually is. Having read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson many years ago, I had a good idea of what a meme was. I understood that a meme was a symbol or idea that got passed on from one person to many others and from them to many many others, with each person creating some new spin or mutation of it. I understood that replication and evolution were integral to memetic fortitude and popularity. I know that propagation alone is not memetic, simply viral.

(from a comment I left in a deadpooled article)
Think of this site as a dictionary. You don't add words to the language by adding them to the dictionary first. You add terms to the dictionary because they are commonly used as words by a significant portion of the general public.

Recently added to the Merriam-Webster dictionary was the term "Spyware". Spyware was a term so commonly used by a significant portion of the population that a major dictionary added it to their list of defined words. If "Spyware" had been in use by you and a friend to refer to something, but nothing showed up on Google Trends, or wasn't generally known and accepted… Then it's not really a good fit for a dictionary.

I don't know what to say with my RED_ZONE entry… Japanese people excel at making mashups, but not all are worth mentionning : Matsuoka Shuzo in various remixes, Billy Herrington wrestling series, Nerunerunerune, RED_ZONE of course

I post youtube links of these subjects since most people aren't registered to Nicodouga to see how more developed these mashups are :

Nerunerunerune : https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=%E3%81%AD%E3%82%8B%E3%81%AD%E3%82%8B%E3%81%AD%E3%82%8B%E3%81%AD&search=tag&search_sort=video_date_uploaded
Matsuoka Shuzo : https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=%E6%9D%BE%E5%B2%A1%E4%BF%AE%E9%80%A0&search=tag&search_sort=video_date_uploaded
Billy Herrington wrestling series (warning, NSFW content, ghey) : http://www.you-tube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=%E6%A3%AE%E3%81%AE%E5%A6%96%E7%B2%BE&search=tag&search_sort=video_date_uploaded
RED_ZONE : https://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=videos&search_query=RED_ZONE&search=tag&search_sort=video_date_uploaded

… or are we simply closing the door to all these "too much" japanese memes ? I proposed RED_ZONE mainly because there is RAN RAN RU (which is by far, the most popular out of Japan)

@G0 DVL,

I definitely agree that Japanese people excel at making mashups. In fact, they create so many incredible mashups that I sit back and wonder how we'll ever be able to tell which ones are worth covering. As an outsider, it almost seems like every thing that exists has been remixed beyond belief in Japan.

It becomes difficult to research memes that are popular amongst Japanese-speakers but not popular with English-speakers.

The more information you can share about each meme, the better. The problem isn't "too much Japan." The problem for me is my own lack of knowledge about Japanese culture online. For English-language memes that we're not familiar with, it's not too hard to research why they became popular. With foreign-languages, we kind of have to depend on the knowlege of our members.

For the most part, your entries will be Confirmed more quickly if you properly embed videos into your meme entries, and try to explain them using as much of Yatta's 6-points as you can.

Yatta's 6 points of analysis:

1) Viral Spread: search results, social media mentions, forum posts, route of spread.
2) Point of Origin: Find out where the meme first appeared and provide proof that it spread beyond its original subculture.
3) Derivatives: Existing volume of spoofs, mashups, remixes, parodies, recontextualizations, and re-enactments. Is it mutating?
4) Appearance in Memetic Hubs: Websites and communities that have been made famous for spreading and culturing memes.
5) Organic / Forced Memes: Was the meme spread peer to peer or was it astroturfed? Even astroturfed phenomena can become memes.
6) Spin-offs / Sub-memes: Many memes spawn entire trees of sub-memes.

im sure popular youtube videos are not memes. unless their origins or popularity has done someting EPIC. ( Chocolate was a /b/ raid, Boxy killed /b/ thru others' liking and disliking)

just throwin that out there…

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!