Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

I can has confirm button?

Last posted Jul 24, 2010 at 02:16AM EDT. Added Jul 23, 2010 at 04:28PM EDT
9 posts from 8 users

Submitted memes need a confirm and deadpool button – ideally a needs work and a delete button – so that members can vote.

The value of this would be for meme's deserving of confirmation to go to the head of the line, making it easier to find them. There's currently 51 pages of submissions and "Internet Slang" is near the end whilst "Paul the Octopus" is near the front.

There's a value in keeping the submissions in order of submission, which should be maintained as well if possible. Having a "meme's submitted this month" page would be good for this, in order for peeps to keep up to date.

Last edited Jul 23, 2010 at 04:30PM EDT

I thought about that idea once, but here's the problem…

Entries like "P-P-Powerbook," "Bros Icing Bros," and other disliked memes would be pushed to the bottom. Foreign memes would also be pushed to the middle (probably not the bottom) because a lot of KYM members are simply not interested.

Also, what if there is an entry that is not memetic at the time it is submitted, and then becomes memetic later? (see Joseph Ducreux / Chubby bubbles Girl) Would we be able to take back our vote? And even if we could take back our deadpool votes, not everyone would bother to change their deadpool votes to confirm votes.

I'm not trying to destroy the concept of order (our submissions pool is really messy, I agree), but if there is a voting system (for confirm/deadpool), it has to be seriously modified. Also, I agree with what PimpAbra said.

Last edited Jul 25, 2010 at 06:17PM EDT

This makes sense, definitely more than +1 confirm. But a the same time, this is to difficult to control for change of opinion. I wonder if we could do something on the dashboard, like You Voted: list of submissions and votes, option to change vote which goes away after confirmation.

Maybe not the best idea, we just need a better system.

I'm apt to the idea in general, but as Greenpeace pointed out, there is an inherent flaw with any voting system to be voted to one extreme or the other. Mind you, I would use the votes as a support mechanism rather than a permanent confirmation standard, but nothing on the Internets or IRL is perfect.

IMHO, I would rather see the newest submissions be pushed to the last page and the older submissions pushed to the beginning pages. In this way, the older submissions can be confirmed/deadpooled considerably sooner instead of waiting months on end for a result. I know there are many pages (suddenly thousands of them!) that the KYM crew have to sort through, so I don't expect any changes like that anytime soon.

Once again, this is just my opinion and no, I will not drink this "sparkling cider" you suddenly poured me.

Sorry, I can't help but put this after I see the video above.

Another way to fix the problem of the confirm button (and this is just a suggestion/idea thrown out late in the morning, so I may not be coherent)is to have a filter on searches or the submission section, with there just being a confirm button on submissions, and the filter can either be by date submitted (either recent or oldest), by how many +confirms it has, or by sfw and nsfw.

Last edited Jul 24, 2010 at 02:16AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!