Forums / Maintenance / Report Problems

27,697 total conversations in 1,731 threads

+ New Thread

The database is no place to get self-referential

Last posted Aug 27, 2010 at 08:21PM EDT. Added Jul 26, 2010 at 11:02PM EDT
17 posts from 7 users

Everyone:

Recently, I had to mark an entry "Hidden" even though it looked as though the author put a decent amount of work into it.

The reason is because it was about a KYM member, and not a meme that is a notable piece of internet culture elsewhere on the web.

The primary focus of the site is to document and analyze memes from all over the web, but not to grow them ourselves.

Even if "This Cheeto" and CAMOAWAM are in-jokes within the KYM community, the purpose of the database is to study cultural artifacts, not invent them.

Creating vanity threads is fine, but any attempts at memetic engineering should take place on other sites before being considered noteworthy enough to document here.

Keep it real.

Last edited Jul 26, 2010 at 11:03PM EDT

(forgive me if i am out of place with this, i just started here on this site a few days ago, and if i look a fool for this, well thats life, if i get baned or whatever, thats life too)

"cultural artifact" is a term used in the social sciences, particularly in anthropology,ethnology, and sociology for anything created by humans which gives information about the culture of its creator and users. As stated, wouldn't something that is created by one or some of this sites users(which are humans) be though as "cultural artifact" in the making, if not already made? and not all cultural artifact were just made by oops, but 'invented', some that are invented do not always become true cultural artifact, but are we to stop one that may become one? if this site is to learn from cultural artifact, to learn about a cultural, then should we just learn from the past or also learn from the makings of these artifacts as they are made? please, i am not trying to tell you how to run this site, just asking. i am human and it is in my nature to learn and ask my why's and why not's. So, if i offend, annoy, just ignore me or let me know.

thanks, Kowlzer.

Relax, Chris.

Like the April 1, 2010 article made by good ol' Dave Davidson, the article was only meant to be a humorous joke. There was no intention of making a meme out of it. It was a cockamamie plan concocted by several users for fun. Think of it as a sort of critical mockery for the strange growing admiration for the user the article was all about. There was no dastardly plan of creating anything on the site.

Besides, think of the creator of the article. He is known to be the top article maker and one of the most dedicated researchers on the site. I doubt he would want to CAMOAWAM with the current reputation he has to uphold.

Personally, like the April Fool's article, I would've been happy just to see the article Deadpool'd. That's about as harmful the article is to our Database, anyways. By doing so, like the April 1 article, the article can be admired for its comedic appeal and at the same time stay out of the way of real articles that are being worked on and researched by dedicated members of the site.

Though, you are the Community Manager and it's your choice. This is only my opinion on the matter, not a command.

@Kowlzer

The one answer to your many questions is very simple. Know Your Meme is first and foremost a database; a place to document.

By that logic, we only wish to observe the development of these memes, not directly participate in the action. Memes must thrive on their own, not have some website direct people on how to propagate them. We're not here to astroturf.

TL;DR: We try our best not to cross paths with the spread of memetic material as we do enough harm by having them listed here.

Last edited Jul 27, 2010 at 01:51AM EDT

well I am one who is a bit of a fan/student of anthropology, psychology, and sociology. I hope that my asking wasn't taken to be rude or me just trying to but heads with the powers-to-be on this site. but i understand more so now then i did before of how this site is to work. Think you for answering.

ps: as someone who spends a lot of time in studding in those fields, I would like to say i greatly enjoy this site.

@Kowlzer

Not at all, not at all. We're happy to entertain questions from users, newbies and regulars alike.

Also, before I forget, welcome to the site! If you don't already know, the forum rules are listed here and a couple more questions regarding the site and their answers can be found here.

The point of it was never to be a meme, just to make it look like a joke, and trust me there are far more worse dead pools than that.

@Jostin: Actually, this thread was my idea.
@Chris: These articles are still a humorous part of our community. I'd advise making them accessible, though not as a meme entry.

I hope nobody's feelings were hurt by having the meme entry hidden. I love the idea of showing recognition for fellow KYM members and mods, but we should figure out a better way.

We're planning on moving toward a model where there is no Deadpool at all, so creating an entry specifically for the deadpool will result in it being hidden.

Meme entries should only be created for memes found elsewhere, not for memes from within our community. This is the reasoning behind not accepting "This Cheato." At this point, if "This Cheato" were found elsewhere, it would basically constitute a meme of some sort. CAMOAWAM is a meme within the KYM community too. Both began forced, but they caught on within our group. Then there's the KYM fanfiction, and the KYM fanart, and the family photos, the yearbook collage, all of this stuff that's representative of our forums.

I don't think any of this stuff should be grouped alongside the rest of the memes we find (and that find us), but should be put SOMEWHERE…

Idea:
Since we already know that we need a place to put the FAQ, Research guides, and other reports. Maybe we should brainstorm some ideas for where we could put things from/about the community and its members and their creations?

Last edited Jul 29, 2010 at 02:03PM EDT

@Chris
I was thinking of organizing it in a way similar to the old/new Cinemassacre website.
Maybe have a pulldown menu for the joke entires, the fanart, and the other things?
(Not including FAQ and ductionary, maybe)

Its funny, a place where a lot of memes would be, and yet no memes are generated here, sounds sorta impossible, when you get all these people knowing all these internet memes, and generally smart.

IDK just thinking.

Last edited Aug 03, 2010 at 11:25PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!