17,266 total conversations in 1,321 threads

+ New Thread

Sticky Sticky
Suggestions

Last posted Jul 05, 2014 at 12:09AM EDT. Added Sep 05, 2010 at 05:43PM EDT
337 conversations with 118 participants

Thanks for removing all those.

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:49PM EDT

We must move the Facebook comments section on each article down. I don’t care what anybody says about it, it’s degrading to have people who aren’t avid members of the site place above us.

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:51AM EDT

Make images and videos have more than one meme to be designated to it so we don’t have to make duplicates of it on other articles.

Last edited Sep 15, 2011 at 02:48PM EDT
Sep 15, 2011 at 02:47PM EDT

I’ve said this before but if we made it so new members had to wait 1 hour after creating their account to make an entry it might help reduce the number of spam and deadpool entries. A lot of people register, make a deadpool entry, and then never come back. This could make them either forget about the site and never make the entry or they would lurk for that time and learn the rules in the process. Of course there will always be people who try to submit single image entries no matter what we do to prevent it.

Sep 15, 2011 at 03:21PM EDT

Maybe let editors have the ability to mass-upload pictures/videos after a period of time? Or maybe just the mods?

Sep 15, 2011 at 03:44PM EDT

I have a few:

-Reorganize the search system so that Deadpool Entries are put at the back of the search.
-Add a multi image uploader for Mods and privileged members to use.
-Create an instructional video on how to create entries, find origins, what the rules are, ect. that people are forced to watch when they sign up or make their first entry. (actually, I will make a thread for this one)

Sep 15, 2011 at 04:50PM EDT

Jiminy wrote:

Make images and videos have more than one meme to be designated to it so we don’t have to make duplicates of it on other articles.

I would like to further elaborate my suggestion.
When I said to make images and videos have more than one meme to be designated to it,
I meant it as a singular entry within the database (thus the “prevention of duplicates” part).

Whenever an uploader assigns one or more memes to an image or video,
the system would make a thumbnail link of the photo page to the meme’s gallery.

That way the website’s database would save storage space
and focus people’s attention to a single entry instead of being divided by two or more of the same image/video.

Think of it as an advanced version of the tag feature.

Last edited Sep 16, 2011 at 06:13AM EDT
Sep 16, 2011 at 06:09AM EDT

Jiminy wrote:

I would like to further elaborate my suggestion.
When I said to make images and videos have more than one meme to be designated to it,
I meant it as a singular entry within the database (thus the “prevention of duplicates” part).

Whenever an uploader assigns one or more memes to an image or video,
the system would make a thumbnail link of the photo page to the meme’s gallery.

That way the website’s database would save storage space
and focus people’s attention to a single entry instead of being divided by two or more of the same image/video.

Think of it as an advanced version of the tag feature.

But what if a video applies to more than one meme?

I think limiting things across the entire database wouldn’t be useful, at least with the system we have.

Even if we had a search function, I still would think that it is a bad idea, it makes it harder for people to find fun videos and have a good time on the site.

Sep 16, 2011 at 07:53AM EDT

Chris wrote:

But what if a video applies to more than one meme?

I think limiting things across the entire database wouldn’t be useful, at least with the system we have.

Even if we had a search function, I still would think that it is a bad idea, it makes it harder for people to find fun videos and have a good time on the site.

That’s the entire point of my suggestion.
I’ve seen far too many images and videos that fit to more than just one meme, subculture, etc.
And due to this people are forced to upload the same thing for another article over and over again.
This has been bothering me since I first visited the site.
Why constrain to just one when the content clearly fits to more than just one category?

This proposed system would help prevent further duplicates from occurring without altering the rest of the site. You’ll still have the image and video galleries under each article like before but the uploader will have an option to link his/her image or video to several more articles instead of just one (this would appear as several article links under “Origin Meme”) and by doing so its gallery thumbnail will appear on each article’s gallery he/she have categorized it to.

With this the site and its contributors would be more efficient in content management and people would no longer bother uploading the same thing for each article he/she finds fitting for the content he/she uploaded.

Also in an event that a user notices that the content is missing an article link due to an unnoticed meme reference by the uploader, the user should be able to inform this to the uploader (or a moderator) by using a similar feature article entries are currently using: the “Suggest a Change” button.

On another note, I don’t see why fixing this issue would make this site less fun.
Can you please further elaborate your point?

Last edited Sep 16, 2011 at 06:16PM EDT
Sep 16, 2011 at 06:12PM EDT

Jiminy wrote:

That’s the entire point of my suggestion.
I’ve seen far too many images and videos that fit to more than just one meme, subculture, etc.
And due to this people are forced to upload the same thing for another article over and over again.
This has been bothering me since I first visited the site.
Why constrain to just one when the content clearly fits to more than just one category?

This proposed system would help prevent further duplicates from occurring without altering the rest of the site. You’ll still have the image and video galleries under each article like before but the uploader will have an option to link his/her image or video to several more articles instead of just one (this would appear as several article links under “Origin Meme”) and by doing so its gallery thumbnail will appear on each article’s gallery he/she have categorized it to.

With this the site and its contributors would be more efficient in content management and people would no longer bother uploading the same thing for each article he/she finds fitting for the content he/she uploaded.

Also in an event that a user notices that the content is missing an article link due to an unnoticed meme reference by the uploader, the user should be able to inform this to the uploader (or a moderator) by using a similar feature article entries are currently using: the “Suggest a Change” button.

On another note, I don’t see why fixing this issue would make this site less fun.
Can you please further elaborate your point?

I misunderstood your suggestion, thinking you meant to limit videos to appearing once on the site total, IE only on one entry.

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:40AM EDT

Chris wrote:

I misunderstood your suggestion, thinking you meant to limit videos to appearing once on the site total, IE only on one entry.

I see.
Glad the misunderstanding is cleared then.

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:36PM EDT

I think that a trending videos section on the main page similar to the trending images would be a nice addition.

Sep 21, 2011 at 12:53AM EDT

Make the users that appear in the “Freind” section random freinds instead of just the oldest.

Sep 28, 2011 at 12:43AM EDT

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Make the users that appear in the “Freind” section random freinds instead of just the oldest.

It used to be like that, I don’t think they’ll switch it back.

However, I concur.

Sep 28, 2011 at 02:27AM EDT

Viewing your profile page or clicking the link should revert the “X new wall posts” on the main page to 0.

Sep 28, 2011 at 08:35PM EDT

Wouled it be possible to shorten the Autolock time to 15 days? Getting month old Necrobumps is rather annoying.

Oct 09, 2011 at 07:48PM EDT

Actually, I like the idea of Holiday Website Themes. Even though it may be a bit late to make ones for this year.

Oct 10, 2011 at 03:08PM EDT

Two suggestions for the forums.
1. A preview function.
2. Quotes are actually part of the post, so you can quote only part of a post, have multiple quotes in one post, etc.

Oct 11, 2011 at 04:17PM EDT

I don’t know if you were working on this, but still…
1) When you search on the Image and Video Database, they tend to “crash” and start launching random results instead oflinear ones. For example, let’s say I’m at page 650, there I see the most recent video numbered as 2532, if I go to the next page, instead of seeing the video number 2533 at the very bottom, I see vid 3200 and forward instead. Could it be possible to correct this?
2) Video Mods. There’re too many old vids that have been taken down from YT that ane now useless on KYM. I know videos might be insignificant, but exploring the video section of Red Zone for example, and seeing up to 12 videos taken down is really annoying. I know there are mods that can remove these, but it’s too much work for the few of them.

Oct 12, 2011 at 03:47AM EDT

Here’s an easy one:
If you click on the thumbs-up/down tab, it should be possible to change which option you selected. A lot of people have been clicking on thumbs-down accidentally, stealing karma from people for no good reason. Simply letting people change their selection would fix this problem.

Oct 15, 2011 at 11:03PM EDT

Tai Kamiya of the jimmy party wrote:

beside from the deadpool a forced section.

It wouldn’t help at all. The Deadpool section covers both bad entries and forced memes as well.

Oct 22, 2011 at 07:20PM EDT

Can we have an auto generated template (but still editable) for New Entries? It will help the newbs get their shit together on their first entry.

Oct 23, 2011 at 02:05AM EDT

About the Featured threads…
I’ve just checked the Just for Fun… “collection”? and found some featured threads that haven’t been active for months, but since they’re featured you can actually Necro them for no apparent reason.
Can someone manage those threads on a better way? I mean, some of them had potential, like the Batman one, or the Demotivational Posters one, but what about this? Anybody could Necro those threads just to troll the community and…
…wait, I’m actually giving potential trolls new ideas!

Oct 31, 2011 at 01:21AM EDT

A report button for uploaded images and videos.
That would be useful on keeping the site relatively clean and organized.

Also can you allow the tagging system to be editable by everyone again?
By “editable” I mean not just adding tags like the old system but also removing and editing them.
The clickable tags were a nice addition but sometimes the uploaders don’t even bother putting tags on their images and videos.

Nov 05, 2011 at 09:15PM EDT
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

Allow people to purchase Krama.

Like, with real money.

Nov 06, 2011 at 12:28AM EDT

There shouled be a warning if you attempt to edit an entry while somebody else is makeing an edit to it. Me and RandomMan acidentally overwrote eachothers work because we didn’t know whe tried to work on it at the same time.

Nov 06, 2011 at 11:48PM EST

I have one.
I don’t know how the new “trending” images on the front page works but is it possible to cut out the NSFW meme images? I didn’t really want to see a girl throwing puppies in a river. It made a sad face.

Nov 07, 2011 at 07:49AM EST

There shouled be a warning if you attempt to edit an entry while somebody else is makeing an edit to it. Me and RandomMan acidentally overwrote eachothers work because we didn’t know whe tried to work on it at the same time.

^ This right here, this has to happen. It would make life so much easier. Pretty please?

Nov 07, 2011 at 08:16AM EST

Can we get rid of the “you can only edit your post within 30 minutes” rule? Does anyone even remember why it was made in the first place? It’s sorta dumb, and very annoying.

Nov 11, 2011 at 04:16PM EST

Philip J. Fry wrote:

Can we get rid of the “you can only edit your post within 30 minutes” rule? Does anyone even remember why it was made in the first place? It’s sorta dumb, and very annoying.

It creates troll opportunities.

Trolls can make a post, wait for responses, and then quickly change/delete the post.

Nov 11, 2011 at 04:41PM EST

For Person entries, can we have the Main info like “Year” and “Origin” changed to “Date of Birth” and “Famous for” or something like that? Ditto for Event entries except maybe with “Start of Event”.

Nov 17, 2011 at 05:20AM EST

Can we have titles based off of Karma Amounts?

Example: User has over 2000 total Karma and their balance is above 90% Positive they would get a “Loved” title? Likewise, if they got over -2000 total Karma with less than 10% Positive they would get a “Hated” title?

Nov 22, 2011 at 07:50PM EST

Example: User has over 2000 total Karma and their balance is above 90% Positive they would get a “Loved” title? Likewise, if they got over -2000 total Karma with less than 10% Positive they would get a “Hated” title?

I don’t think we should make people any more obsessed over karma than they already are, personally.

I see constant karma whoring threads on the horizon if this gets implemented.

Nov 23, 2011 at 01:53PM EST

Also, I wonder how productive it would be to have a “hated” title assigned to people. It would do more to shun users than it would to encourage them to change their behaviour. It might even convince them to start a fresh account with a clean slate – which totally defeats the purpose of having karma at all.

Now, if there was the option to choose which titles to display out of a list of “earned” titles (for example, if you have enough image contributions to be an Archivist, and also enough comments to be a Conversationalist, you could choose which one is displayed) then it might make more sense, as no one would be forced to display the “hated” tag.

A sort of achievement system would also work well here. Users could accumulate badges for achieving certain milestones or accomplishing certain tasks, and each badge comes with a title. Users could choose which title is displayed, and all of the earned titles could be catalogued under a tab on their profile page. Users could earn the right to display more than one title after accumulating a certain number of contributions (so 1,000< = X, >1,000 = X & Y, >2,000 = X, Y, & Z, etc.). This would give the admins more leeway to encourage the kind of behaviour they want (more badges for meaningful contributions = more contributions) and it would eliminate the danger of losing a title you like just because you made too many of a single type of contribution.

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:20PM EST

When searching for threads, have a option to show threads by a certain date, so you can find the unlocked version of a thread. Would be nice to show the original post rather then every post ever.

Last edited Dec 30, 2011 at 08:00AM EST
Dec 30, 2011 at 07:59AM EST

Can we go back to showing the highest rated images and videos on entries? Showing newest images and videos first mostly just shows off bad examples of the meme.

More important, when someone clicks the [1] or any number page scroll link to get to one of the external reference links the page scrolls to it but the Facebook and Google+ bars block the link you were trying to see. Can we have it so it automatically makes up for this and scrolls up the extra pixels so we can see the link we were trying to access?

Jan 23, 2012 at 04:49AM EST

Disregard the second suggestion of my last post, apparently it’s been fixed since I last tested it.

Last edited Jan 23, 2012 at 05:51AM EST
Jan 23, 2012 at 05:50AM EST

Suiseiseki     wrote:

I’ve said this before but if we made it so new members had to wait 1 hour after creating their account to make an entry it might help reduce the number of spam and deadpool entries. A lot of people register, make a deadpool entry, and then never come back. This could make them either forget about the site and never make the entry or they would lurk for that time and learn the rules in the process. Of course there will always be people who try to submit single image entries no matter what we do to prevent it.

An hour? How about a month? That would ensure very few people would care enough to make these straight-to-deadpool articles, and we wouldn’t have problems with new folks who don’t understand what memes are.

A few days ago there was a straight-to-deadpool article whose only text was a description of the backstory behind the cover picture, and then (paraphrasing here) “I thought it looked like it could become a meme.” That is not how memes work, and that is not how KYM articles work.
Another one, “Blue,” put up simply because it had a very high number of search results in Google. I wish I could shake some sense into whoever made that article. Of course it got lots of results, you fucking idiot, it’s a common word!

I’m willing to forgive not being an expert on the intricacies of internet memes, but it gets really aggravating when all the articles in the Also Trending bar are either just like the one I just described, or fucked up articles made by trolls. One month to wait before allowing article creation would make for a huge decline in both.

If a month is too much, a week might be enough.

tl;dr: I hate the deadpooled articles in the Also Trending bar. Let’s make it so you have to wait a month after creating your account to make an article.

Jan 24, 2012 at 03:32AM EST

I was thinking that on your profile, you could have if your online or offline, and it would have how much time you have spent on the site. THAT would be interesting.

Jan 24, 2012 at 04:15AM EST

How about images can have more then one entry for a subject?

Eg. this would go under both Pokemon and Batman. Although, this would require a lot more effort for the rage comic uploads.

Jan 28, 2012 at 06:38PM EST

/\
Yes, and there are usually cartoon characters that are drawn as ponies, so that’ll be very useful.
I was also thinking of a, “Random” section of the forums. I’m just saying because more than half the stuff in the JFF IS random.

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:40PM EST

NSFW tags for images? Stuff like this that contain gore, nudity etc could get a warning before you view it (similar to entries) unless you have that NSFW turned on in your profile.

Though should this be settable by the mods with image powers, the user whom upload it or both?

Last edited Jan 30, 2012 at 04:53AM EST
Jan 30, 2012 at 04:52AM EST

Nikolaki8 wrote:

/\
Yes, and there are usually cartoon characters that are drawn as ponies, so that’ll be very useful.
I was also thinking of a, “Random” section of the forums. I’m just saying because more than half the stuff in the JFF IS random.

The reason why JFF is created is because random threads on General caused it to be too messy, and thus JFF is born. JFF IS for random stuff.

Jan 30, 2012 at 07:55PM EST

Yo Yo! You must login or signup first!