Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Who thinks KYM needs an app.

Last posted Nov 02, 2010 at 12:31AM EDT. Added Oct 13, 2010 at 09:47PM EDT
30 posts from 16 users

I have been using my phone to get on KYM when i'm out and about, and it doesn't work all that well. I think it would be awesome if KYM made their own phone app/mobile sight; does any one else agree?

@Adam:
Have you ever used a touchscreen device? They're far, far superior to those without touchscreens.

@Thread:
Yes, we do need a mobile app or website. I do believe that Gleuch was considering adding a mobile site in the future. Though I'd like to see an iPhone and Android version. Maybe a Windows Phone 7 or BlackBerry app as well.
But yeah. I had to increase my Android's Dalvik heap size to 38MB before I could load KYM alongside a few other sites without the browser crashing. I blame Flash.

KYM has already 2 Facebook pages (one from fans, the other from the staff) with daily uploads of the recent confirmed entries.
There are a lot more users clicking on "like" there than active users around here.

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I think touchscreens is a stupid idea, you get the screen all smudged up. And besides, surfing the internet, watching movies, all on a minature screen? I don't think so!

This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

But nothing beats a bigger screen. Besides, I listen to all my music on Windows Media Player and I don't need a cellphone since I have no social life

Last edited Oct 20, 2010 at 07:06PM EDT

I find that both Mobile Safari on iOS and Android 2.1-2.2's browser work reasonably well at commenting, viewing images in meme entries, and so on. Though KYM is obviously not optimized for mobile, which makes for a cumbersome, sluggish experience. This is why we need either a dedicated app or a mobile site optimized for touch. Much like what Facebook and Twitter have done. Personally, I'd rather it be a dedicated app. Having dedicated apps would allow for much more features.

@Adam:
Windows Media Player? Really? I didn't know people still used that.
The term "phone" is somewhat of a misnomer. Modern smartphones are more powerful than ever before. They offer feature sets that would be unimaginable just a few years back. No longer is a phone a phone with a few extra features, rather, it's a small computer that just happens to make phone calls.
You don't always need a large screen. Small screens work just as well as, and in many cases better than, their larger desktop-style counterparts. I know I like Twitter, YouTube, and media much better on my Android. It removes the focus from the device and software, placing it where it belongs--the content.

@Shadowfury, If you said that you tried using Mobile Safari on iOS devices or in Google Android's web browser? I tried to go to KYM using Opera Mini™ on my Nokia phone and it turns to the mobile site version. It is not perfect for mobile phones and it is too sluggish Why they don't make a KYM mobile site (such as m.knowyourmeme.com or knowyourmeme.mobi) or make an app for an iOS devices, Google Android phones, BlackBerry phones, Windows Phone 7 devices and for Nokia phones.

@Adam, Windows Media Player? really? Did you mean PC is better than a mobile? Did you hate cellphones? Smartphones are now too powerful and it has more features. You don't need a big-ass screens or someone else from the computer.

@Adam, and why did you hate some touchscreens? My mom and my big brother got a Samsung touchscreen phones. And why you hate mobile phones? Because you had a fucking laptop. More people get fucking pissed off.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!