Forums / Site-Related

16,347 total conversations in 1,291 threads

+ New Thread


"You may only edit a post within 10 minutes of creating it." Wat.

Last posted Jan 09, 2011 at 10:13PM EST. Added Jan 04, 2011 at 05:14PM EST
22 conversations with 10 participants

Can we get rid of this please? What if it takes me more than 10 minutes to notice that I’ve said the wrong word? I accidentally said that the government is supporting wikileaks and I couldn’t correct it. What use is the edit button if we can’t use it?

Jan 04, 2011 at 05:14PM EST
Quote

You should always double-check your posts, both before and after you post them.

Still, ten minutes does seem like a pretty short window.

Jan 04, 2011 at 06:11PM EST
Quote

It worked fine before. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.

Jan 04, 2011 at 09:13PM EST
Quote

No, I know why the policy was instated, and it makes sense. If you experienced any of the douchbaggery that was this thread, you would know too. I mean (and this was not the case with that thread, if you missed it) you could post something awesome, get a bunch of karma for it, then go back and edit the post to be a bunch of CP and claim KYM was a bunch of pedos.

Jan 04, 2011 at 11:45PM EST
Quote

I’m not sure why this was implemented. It seems a bit weird to me to take ownership of a post from a user.
I’m in favor of either raising the window, or getting rid of it and going back to how it used to be.

Jan 05, 2011 at 12:20AM EST
Quote

Maromi wrote:

I’m not sure why this was implemented. It seems a bit weird to me to take ownership of a post from a user.
I’m in favor of either raising the window, or getting rid of it and going back to how it used to be.

Btw, could you fix my mistake on the Senators on Wikileaks thread?

Jan 05, 2011 at 12:47AM EST
Quote

Brucker wrote:

No, I know why the policy was instated, and it makes sense. If you experienced any of the douchbaggery that was this thread, you would know too. I mean (and this was not the case with that thread, if you missed it) you could post something awesome, get a bunch of karma for it, then go back and edit the post to be a bunch of CP and claim KYM was a bunch of pedos.

^^ this

Jan 07, 2011 at 02:22AM EST
Quote

Jamie Dubs wrote:

^^ this

Isn’t that why we have banhammers?

Jan 07, 2011 at 08:06AM EST
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

Isn’t that why we have banhammers?

That’s what one would think.

Jan 07, 2011 at 10:46AM EST
Quote

Glorious solution: make a View previous edits button. Sorta like on meme entries, so we can see what was changed from edit to edit.

Everybody wins. Or am I overlooking something?

Jan 07, 2011 at 11:08AM EST
Quote

Jack Candle wrote:

Glorious solution: make a View previous edits button. Sorta like on meme entries, so we can see what was changed from edit to edit.

Everybody wins. Or am I overlooking something?

My jaw dropped in the presence of your idea’s levels of WIN

Jan 07, 2011 at 11:09AM EST
Quote

Jack Candle wrote:

Glorious solution: make a View previous edits button. Sorta like on meme entries, so we can see what was changed from edit to edit.

Everybody wins. Or am I overlooking something?

Since I’ve never seen such a thing, I can only imagine it’s a developer’s nightmare.

Jan 07, 2011 at 01:17PM EST
Quote

It’s a good idea, but it doesn’t stop people from changing their posts entirely

I seriously doubt people would click to another page on every edited post to verify its accuracy

Why is the time limit an issue? If it’s a typo you can re-read and edit it right away. If you are wrong about something, why not just post a followup apologizing?

Jan 07, 2011 at 01:31PM EST
Quote

BTW this is standard practice on many websites, e.g. Digg -- the majority of sites don’t let you edit your posts at all!

Jan 07, 2011 at 01:32PM EST
Quote

What time limit do you guys think would be best?

Jan 07, 2011 at 01:35PM EST
Quote

James wrote:

What time limit do you guys think would be best?

One hour.

Jan 07, 2011 at 01:36PM EST
Quote

Jamie Dubs wrote:

It’s a good idea, but it doesn’t stop people from changing their posts entirely

I seriously doubt people would click to another page on every edited post to verify its accuracy

Why is the time limit an issue? If it’s a typo you can re-read and edit it right away. If you are wrong about something, why not just post a followup apologizing?

Because angry people don’t read followups.

Jan 07, 2011 at 01:37PM EST
Quote

Katie C. wrote:

Because angry people don’t read followups.

was that a pwnzer joke?

Jan 07, 2011 at 02:50PM EST
Quote

Quite honestly, the first time I saw a real problem with people wrongly editing threads was a while back where someone changed it after the other users posted to troll. Has there been anything bad other than that, nothing, so I see no reason with limiting the time posts can be edited. (However, if I’m wrong, please correct me.)

Jan 07, 2011 at 06:21PM EST

This threads entirely black and white, we are not asking for it to be removed, we are asking for it to be extend by 6 times (to an hour).

Also wasn’t it my idea to troll using this method?

Last edited Jan 09, 2011 at 10:13PM EST
Jan 09, 2011 at 10:13PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!