Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Forum Post Letter Limit.

Last posted Aug 06, 2011 at 10:32PM EDT. Added Aug 05, 2011 at 08:32PM EDT
12 posts from 8 users

Even though it really hasn't been a problem on KYM (our forum's post letter limit is some godly number), I would like to see a system similar to YouTube put onto Know Your Meme that alerts you if your post is too big BEFORE you post.

@James

Not all browsers save what you typed in when you click back.

So you submit on KYM, the page reloads and you get an error because it's too long. You click back, and all the text you typed in is gone.

Chrome has autofill, Opera has persistent text, and other browsers have similar things, but it's not universal.

Personally, I always ctrl-c my work before posting if it's tl;dr, and check the number of characters in a text editing program.

Last edited Aug 05, 2011 at 10:29PM EDT

While it's probably not common for someone to reach the 5,000 character limit (I did once, I think), one of those little things that say "X characters remaining" is usually good to help you think about how long or short your post can be.

Ogreenworld wrote:

@James

Not all browsers save what you typed in when you click back.

So you submit on KYM, the page reloads and you get an error because it's too long. You click back, and all the text you typed in is gone.

Chrome has autofill, Opera has persistent text, and other browsers have similar things, but it's not universal.

Personally, I always ctrl-c my work before posting if it's tl;dr, and check the number of characters in a text editing program.

You're not supposed to hit back. Are you guys not getting redirected to a page like this when you try to post something that's too long?

I just tried with 5001 letters and then 10600 and both redirected me to my post like you said James, so it seems that it shouldn't be a problem unless the website doesn't do that on all browsers. Still, a you have X symbols remaining thing still would improve the user feel of the website, needed or not.

James wrote:

I'm pretty sure this is always how the forums have worked, at least during the year that I've been working here.

I've been browsing this site since almost the beginning, and I'll back you up, as far as I remember, the forums have always worked that way. The only thing really different was the old design the ranking system (Memetist? What kind of name is that?") no karma, only 30 posts per page, and a few more minor ones. Also, you could click the post button multiple times in a row for more posts, that led to some lulzy double posts.

Nothing's really ever been removed or significantly altered on the forums, mostly just additions. Though, I'd get the full scoop from Jamiew and Gleuch

Yea, I guess it's not needed, but I do remember losing some work for some reason after attempting to post.

But it would still be nice to have a "x number of letters remaining".

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!