Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

KYM needs a new organization system

Last posted Aug 23, 2011 at 01:54AM EDT. Added Aug 20, 2011 at 07:08PM EDT
19 posts from 12 users

Well, since here in Know Your Meme people are encouraged to use the scientific method for a research, we should have a better way to CLASSIFY memes.

And maybe really old entries should be closed for keeping them being loaded with repetitive images posted by a couple or persons (like "X" stoped being viral, but someone keeps posting images like it was still popular).

Could you explain what you mean in more detail? I have no idea what the first part meant at all.

I did understand the 2nd part though, and I have to say no, that's not a good idea. I don't see any logical reason to ever lock somethings picture section, and besides, it's not like a meme can ever truly remain dead. Memes get revived, get refernced in other memes, and so on so forth. We can't just go "This is old, thus it can never be popular again".

Last edited Aug 20, 2011 at 07:35PM EDT

No to both parts. I have no idea what you mean by "CLASSIFY," but we do have seperate types of entries (meme, subculture, event, etc.) and that works well when people know it exists.

If a meme is still in use, and somebody is still making image macros, why not let them upload it? There is already a system in place to prevent an image from being uploaded twice, so they cannot just put up the same thing over and over again to keep it trending or something.

I don't really see why you would suggest either tho.

Maybe moderators could punish the users for posting several images on the same dead meme (of course being the only users updating the page, since it is a "dead meme"), making flood or spam.

And for the organization thing, I mean getting new tags and make sure that every sub-meme it's adressed like that.

Lola Landa wrote:

Maybe moderators could punish the users for posting several images on the same dead meme (of course being the only users updating the page, since it is a "dead meme"), making flood or spam.

And for the organization thing, I mean getting new tags and make sure that every sub-meme it's adressed like that.

I think you misunderstood what a meme is.
A meme is a viral material that will continuously get derivatives, variations, etc.
I think what you mean by "dead meme" is "deadpooled meme" which is a whole different deal.
If a user kept uploading unrelated material to a meme, then it WOULD be flooding and probably would end up getting banned.
A meme won't die. It might fade and get less viral, but it will never die.

By "dead meme" I mean those memes that got confirmed by a mistake, get images posted only by one or two users (and get no derivates on other sites but this), and constantly get comments saying it's not a meme and that it should be deadpooled.

Also, we should promote the creation of summisions for local memes (I mean latinoamerican, european, japanese, memes; not forced memes made by some site).

Lola Landa wrote:

By "dead meme" I mean those memes that got confirmed by a mistake, get images posted only by one or two users (and get no derivates on other sites but this), and constantly get comments saying it's not a meme and that it should be deadpooled.

Also, we should promote the creation of summisions for local memes (I mean latinoamerican, european, japanese, memes; not forced memes made by some site).

ā€¦.confirmed by mistake?

Do you even know how they get confirmed?

Why not add information to something? That's dumbing things down and making the internet more retarded. MEMES ARE SHUM IMPORTANT SHIZ BOI

Something cannot be confirmed by "accident". The entry moderators and admins spend a lot of time studying a meme to see whether or not it should be confirmed. Also it is encouraged to users that if they feel that an entry that was deadpooled unfairly, that they can dispute and talk about their case.

Not only that but to "punish" users unless they're spamming the same image and spamming in the comments, is wrong because there's truly nothing you can do about the situation since they aren't breaking the rules. There's also the fact that when some memes start, people like to submit them early on before getting too popular to be the one to get it on here first. So it will take a while for it to get derivatives.

And the final thing to point out is that we should NOT close older memes that were submitted. I've been looking around recently and there are many memes that are popular and were submitted near when the new KYM came out. Such as the CD-I series of Zelda, Tails Doll, Bridgette, and so on. These were all submitted a while ago, and have not gotten work in ages. But that does not mean they aren't any less of memes.

The reason as well that these memes are taking so long to deadpool or confirm is due to the fact that KYM gets many new memes each day, and the mods and admins have to research, find derivatives, search, spread, origin and all that. And it usually takes a few hours to find that information, put it into your entry, edit the entry, add things to images and videos, so the old memes sit there until they get a chance.

If anything we need more moderators to deadpool non-memes or people to get motivated on trying to work on the older memes. Most of them were submitted during the old KYM format. Now the ways have changed and they are outdated and need work.

So I'm gonna have to say no to all of your suggestions.

And Laser is right, this should be moved.

Last edited Aug 21, 2011 at 01:44AM EDT

I have found confirmed memes that are not really memes, or need more research. And real memes that have not been confirmed yet. One example is the loads of hipster memes (wich some of them are not really memes), and the term hipster itself is not yet confirmed as a meme.

Also, most of the people here don't know that tags like subculture, event, people exist; they just arwe "some internet celebrity is not a meme, it's cool and has a lot of fans, but it's not a meme".

I am not trying to troll people saying their memes are crap (like ED did and now oh! internet does, saying sites like this are a pest that keeps reviving old memes, showing them to noobs and housewives Ā¬Ā¬). I tend to lurk for lolcat images and another macros, and obviusly I'm obsessed with MLP: fim, considered as a cancer by a lot of people on 4chan.

I'm just obssessive-compulsive, blame genetics :p

Also, most of the people here donā€™t know that tags like subculture, event, people exist; they just arwe ā€œsome internet celebrity is not a meme, itā€™s cool and has a lot of fans, but itā€™s not a memeā€.

People are dumb, deal with it. From the tons of daily-made entries, about a small fraction of it is about a real meme in the making or an "old" one (by old I mean in age, not "old-fashioned").
They don't lurk enough, they don't care, they try to promote their stuff. They are the real cancer to the Internet.

We already had. It all started with the Japanese Meme Research thread and now we have one for nearly every zone where there seems to be local Internet memes (Eastern Europe, Spanish-related countries, Latin America, Chinese-related countries). Look them up in here.
It's not complete though so we may need some more (like Korea and Western Europe).

Iā€™m just obssessive-compulsive, blame genetics :p

That's it. I'll blame you for not researching a bit more what you are talking about, though.

By ā€œdead memeā€ I mean those memes that got confirmed by a mistake, get images posted only by one or two users (and get no derivates on other sites but this), and constantly get comments saying itā€™s not a meme and that it should be deadpooled.

Many entries about valid memes started like that because their writers were the only ones to post pictures, links or videos about the phenomenon they were covering. Trolls and ignorant people like to state whether it's a meme or not. Thankfully, they aren't the ones who confirm those entries.

Sorry, I haven't read through the whole thread, but I'd like to make a comment. While "Lola Landa" seems to be mistaken about a few things, and much of what else she(?) says is apparently unpopular to many of us, I don't see why that's earned her so much negative karma. It seems clear to me that she's not trolling; she's trying to give what she thinks are useful suggestions. If you disagree with them, you probably ought to make a post to say why you disagree rather than downvote her posts.

I just think there could be some more specific feedback though, that would be more effective than a simple downvote. Just yesterday I think it was that I saw somebody post something on Tumblr saying, "I'd like to show support for X cause, and I'm taking a sort of poll: Reblog if you agree that this is an important issue." I wanted to respond to him, "Um, how is that a poll? If you disagree, what are you supposed to do?"

Anyway, if I have a bad idea, I want people to tell me why it's bad, not just shoot it down.

Lola Landa wrote:

Don't worry, the negative karma helps me to know what its a good idea and what's not.

A lot of bad entries are bad because the creator didn't ask for feedback prior the posting.

Thankfully, aside from the Old Entries Expansion Project and the New Style Guide Editing Project, most of the "bad entries" are still in Submissionpolis or Deadpooled.

I can see no reason why any meme's image section can be closed (Unless It's something like 2 Girls One Cup). What I think you're trying to say is about confirmed memes that haven't had a lot of work done on them. These meme's are very old and confirmed before KYM had a proper way of coding,

For example Jean Luc-Picard was confirmed and used to be a poorly written meme with a slab of images and embed videos. That's why users like me are around to fix up these memes! :D

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!