Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Button/Option to hide all MLP-related images in the image stream?

Last posted Jan 22, 2012 at 10:07PM EST. Added Dec 09, 2011 at 06:39PM EST
25 posts from 17 users

I know the MLP community frequents this website quite a lot and plenty of MLP-related images get viewed and commented at a higher percentage than most others. This pushes the images to the top of the "most viewed" and "most commented" But it ends up cluttering the image stream for those who want images on current memes and events since MLP is an ongoing thing. Any way an option/button for hiding MLP images from the stream can be implemented?

As we discussed in a diffrent thread, we will not be implementing a feture on the website just for one group of people.

In the same thread it was also suggested that users couled block any content they desire, but the mods quickly reminded us that there is only one coder for the website, and it wouled not be implemented any time soon. (Though, it is still possible it may come at one point in time)

Though, I still support optional content restriction.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 06:59PM EST

I really don't think this is a feature for "one group of people" as it only filters content that allow every other image and topic on the site to be visible and rise to the top of the noise. I'm aware there's a fanbase for the MLP images but it completely overwhelms all other content from the stream. This will only allow the user to decide to filter the images as opposed to it being forced on everyone – which looks like a healthy compromise. It may have a different story if a "show only images from x-related topic" was suggested.

Any citation for where this feature was declined? One coder is understandable but I think it would help out the entire site in terms of organization and making the stream usable again.

In the same thread it was also suggested that users could block any content they desire…

I've read from one user that was able to hide Pony content (technology is amazing) through their own filter. If anyone knows how to do that and would like to post it (here, I guess), then that might save other users a little headache.

I have my own problem with the amount of Pony content we cover, but the mods generally say that this is the best way to document all of a memetic (really active but still memetic) subculture.

Also, like what Natsuru said "there is only one coder for the website" The time and money is probably best spent elsewheresearch barahem.

EDIT:

Skyline wrote:

Any citation for where this feature was declined?

SKYLINE Y U NO TRUST NATSURU

Via Pimp Abra.

Last edited Dec 09, 2011 at 07:18PM EST

I've supported this idea for a long time now; I haven't been able to go to the images or videos page. I'm the one that uses a filter (adblock plus); but it's not a cure-all. It can't block all MLP images that get uploaded at once, you'd have to block them one at a time. On the other hand, I don't see MLP on the trending bar or as the most popular meme.
You can try that if you want, send me a PM if you want to know how to do it.

I'm a brony and I think a content filter setting for users is a great idea even if people use it for mlp, I understand that mlp floods the images constantly and it makes it hard for other things to get some attention.

I approve for user controlled content filters :D

Verbose wrote:

In the same thread it was also suggested that users could block any content they desire…

I've read from one user that was able to hide Pony content (technology is amazing) through their own filter. If anyone knows how to do that and would like to post it (here, I guess), then that might save other users a little headache.

I have my own problem with the amount of Pony content we cover, but the mods generally say that this is the best way to document all of a memetic (really active but still memetic) subculture.

Also, like what Natsuru said "there is only one coder for the website" The time and money is probably best spent elsewheresearch barahem.

EDIT:

Skyline wrote:

Any citation for where this feature was declined?

SKYLINE Y U NO TRUST NATSURU

Via Pimp Abra.

Adblock may be able to filter images that directly have the words "Pony" or"brony" or "MLP" in the filenames. But beyond that, I don't think it's possible user-side.

And I do agree that the search bar is terrible and needs to be fixed. I'm looking at you – KYM budget-guy.

Considering the favouritism argument from the other thread though: I only mentioned MLP because of how overwhelming the image dumping has become compared to any other meme on KYM. Take a look through the most commented page: https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/most-commented
It's very difficult to even catch a glimpse of anything else, really.

Skyline wrote:

It’s very difficult to even catch a glimpse of anything else, really.

I don't look at images any more on the image stream for that reason…even as a brony myself.

And I think what you claim is true: it'd be nice to filter out certain memes. But I think the staff would say that using the site's resources on other things is more important than that.

I don't think the argument can advance from there unless someone can convince mods and admins that spending the time and money to code some function like that is worth the end result.

You can try this to get rid of the images: add Adblock plus on to Firefox, go to Add-ons, click on the options button for Adblock, click filters → add filter, then paste this there*
knowyourmeme.com##IMG[title="My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic"]
and hit enter.
It's not perfect, but it works.

If you're sick of MLP on the trending bar, add this filter:
knowyourmeme.com##.left[href="/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic"]
This one DOES work perfectly: you'll have absolutely no indication of it being there.

Tired of the KYM pony general taking up space? Add these:
knowyourmeme.com###forum_topic_11935
knowyourmeme.com##A[href="/forums/general/topics/11935-kym-pony-general-iii-this-time-its-personal"]

Most viewed meme? Not anymore!
knowyourmeme.com##A[href="/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic"]

You can probably figure out how to modify these to work with other pages, too.
I'm currently figuring out if there's a way to apply this to the activity feed, but that's much more complex.

Last edited Dec 10, 2011 at 02:59AM EST

Nintendork64 wrote:

You can try this to get rid of the images: add Adblock plus on to Firefox, go to Add-ons, click on the options button for Adblock, click filters → add filter, then paste this there*
knowyourmeme.com##IMG[title="My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic"]
and hit enter.
It's not perfect, but it works.

If you're sick of MLP on the trending bar, add this filter:
knowyourmeme.com##.left[href="/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic"]
This one DOES work perfectly: you'll have absolutely no indication of it being there.

Tired of the KYM pony general taking up space? Add these:
knowyourmeme.com###forum_topic_11935
knowyourmeme.com##A[href="/forums/general/topics/11935-kym-pony-general-iii-this-time-its-personal"]

Most viewed meme? Not anymore!
knowyourmeme.com##A[href="/memes/subcultures/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic"]

You can probably figure out how to modify these to work with other pages, too.
I'm currently figuring out if there's a way to apply this to the activity feed, but that's much more complex.

Dat homebrew solution.

Yeah. In your profile page, there should be a "Display MLP Content?" button. As well as when you are creating a thread. "This thread contains MLP" button or something like that.

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Yeah. In your profile page, there should be a "Display MLP Content?" button. As well as when you are creating a thread. "This thread contains MLP" button or something like that.

Too much work, for only one thing. Waste of time AND moneys. Better luck next time, Niko, you're striking out today.

To block the new mlp thread add these to adblock:

knowyourmeme.com###forum_topic_12575

knowyourmeme.com##A[href="/forums/general/topics/12575-kym-pony-general-iv-electric-scootaloo"]

Last edited Dec 15, 2011 at 09:22PM EST

Suiseiseki     wrote:

To block the new mlp thread add these to adblock:

knowyourmeme.com###forum_topic_12575

knowyourmeme.com##A[href="/forums/general/topics/12575-kym-pony-general-iv-electric-scootaloo"]

It is worth mentioning that a new thread is created every 200-odd pages (roughly every month) and that this page is actually the fourth iteration. Threads 1 – 3 are locked, so they shouldn't be popping up again, so if you block thread 4 and then see the pony thread popping up again in a month or so, then it probably means that the fourth one filled up, and we have started a fifth. Just a heads-up.

Ok, for future cases and any other threads that wish to be blocked:

knowyourmeme.com###forum_topic_ insert topic number here

You can see the topic number in the url.

knowyourmeme.com##A[href=“ insert thread url here ]

That people would actually go as far as add a thread to an addblock.

I don't really blame you for the images, but there is a thing called overreacting.

Inb4 "It's freaking everywhere I go" arguments.

Sorry that you have to read this for maybe the billionth time, but some people just need to grow up.

Last edited Dec 16, 2011 at 10:27PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

That people would actually go as far as add a thread to an addblock.

I don't really blame you for the images, but there is a thing called overreacting.

Inb4 "It's freaking everywhere I go" arguments.

Sorry that you have to read this for maybe the billionth time, but some people just need to grow up.

This only affects the people who block it for themselves so who cares? Besides bronies are famous for their tendency to over react to all forms of criticism.

Last edited Dec 17, 2011 at 04:52AM EST

Suiseiseki     wrote:

This only affects the people who block it for themselves so who cares? Besides bronies are famous for their tendency to over react to all forms of criticism.

I just find it odd that people can take it so seriously.

It's just a fucking cartoon. Everybody just needs to chill out.

wat.

I'm only concerned about the images taking over the stream leaving no room for anything else. The one thread isn't that big of a problem at all since they are all keeping everything in the thread.

The thread can be easily ignored as opposed to the massive MLP image dump which cannot.

Nikolaki8 is on to something regarding images. The thread button seems a bit useless but having a button to filter MLP content in the IMAGE STREAM is what I would totally support.

An MLP image filter?

Seconded.

This meme is mega sized or something. Most pages even have image galleries full of these pics, in fact, sometimes not relevant to the documented meme itself.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!