Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

4,391 total conversations in 279 threads

+ New Thread


Suggesting ideas to the admins concerning Facebook comments

Last posted Jan 05, 2012 at 12:29AM EST. Added Jan 01, 2012 at 01:07PM EST
102 posts from 33 users

I don’t know how to make a God damn poll, so just vote.

Keep them, or Remove them.

Don’t make a shitstorm, vote and carry on.

Mod edit: Voting is over, but the discussion may not be; please read the thread and feel free to share your thoughts.

Last edited Jan 02, 2012 at 09:34PM EST

Kalmo wrote:

Do you really expect the admins to remove them? Honestly.

Enough people say they want ’em gone, something will happen.

Kalmo wrote:

Do you really expect the admins to remove them? Honestly.

Whoever is downvoting Kalmo, please stop. Just because he has a different opinion doesn’t give you the right to downvote him. Plus, this thread is reserved for civilized discourse and decision-making, and giving Kalmo negative karma achieves nothing.

Kalmo wrote:

Do you really expect the admins to remove them? Honestly.

He’s right, you know. However much we protest, do you really think the admins are actually going to get up and do it?

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Enough people say they want ’em gone, something will happen.

Sure. Have fun with your delusions. Facebook gives good publicity to the site due to how popular it is. And not all of them are useless. Some comments actually help with research.

Fridge wrote:

He’s right, you know. However much we protest, do you really think the admins are actually going to get up and do it?

All James has to do is remove the script for a plugin. It’s shouldn’t be that hard.

Piano wrote:

All James has to do is remove the script for a plugin. It’s shouldn’t be that hard.

If it’s so easy for him to remove the script for the plugin, why can’t it be just as easy for you to get the plugin to block it? Why make James do work for you?

Kalmo wrote:

If it’s so easy for him to remove the script for the plugin, why can’t it be just as easy for you to get the plugin to block it? Why make James do work for you?

It’s not just me that wants it gone. It can either be:

One person removes the script, and everyone gets the comments taken away.
Or
Everyone has to figure out how to block the script individually.

Piano wrote:

It’s not just me that wants it gone. It can either be:

One person removes the script, and everyone gets the comments taken away.
Or
Everyone has to figure out how to block the script individually.

It just seems kind of rude to expect James to fix something that a couple of users that don’t want it. Sure it would be nice if they joined the community, but it isn’t hurting anything. It’s not causing lagg for you or wasting space for the site.

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 01:52PM EST

Piano wrote:

It’s not just me that wants it gone. It can either be:

One person removes the script, and everyone gets the comments taken away.
Or
Everyone has to figure out how to block the script individually.

Much more work overall if we have to do it individually.

Or we could just have one person remove the plugin from the other end.

Which makes more sense: forcing a bunch of people to do something, or just having one person do it and it applies to everyone?

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 01:51PM EST

Kalmo wrote:

It just seems kind of rude to expect James to fix something that a couple of users that don’t want it. Sure it would be nice if they joined the community, but it isn’t hurting anything. It’s not causing lagg for you or wasting space for the site.

You seem like you’re understating how many people want the facebook plugin gone. Besides, it’s not much work anyway, and I don’t think he’d mind having to simply highlight and delete a passage of script.

papap wrote:

Why does it matter?

The Facebook comments are either irritating, pointless single word posts, or otherwise useless. (Typically.)

We just don’t want to have to go through them to get to this site’s own comments section.

Ok, think about this: In the amount of time that you have spent posting in this thread for the Facebook comments to be removed, you could have already disabled it yourself with the plugin.

In fact, a better petition would be: Have the KnowYourMeme comments be on top of the Facebook comments so you don’t have to scroll through them.

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 01:59PM EST

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

The Facebook comments are either irritating, pointless single word posts, or otherwise useless. (Typically.)

We just don’t want to have to go through them to get to this site’s own comments section.

Most of your posts are pretty irritating as well, Nair.

If you guys hate the comments so much, just do what I do: don’t even look at them.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

The Facebook comments are either irritating, pointless single word posts, or otherwise useless. (Typically.)

We just don’t want to have to go through them to get to this site’s own comments section.

So are you saying that most of the comments users make are not pointless single word posts or otherwise useless?

Fridge wrote:

Most of your posts are pretty irritating as well, Nair.

If you guys hate the comments so much, just do what I do: don’t even look at them.

That’s nice.

Unless you want to get into KYM’s own comments section.

EDIT: @ Papaphill:It’s better to see posts by KYM’s own users, who have created accounts for this site, than to have to scroll past posts by users of another site that have a direct link to this one via a plugin.

I think they should have to sign up for KYM if they want their comments on top.

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 02:02PM EST

papap wrote:

So are you saying that most of the comments users make are not pointless single word posts or otherwise useless?

At least most of the comments users make on articles or pictures are witty, and don’t employ the use of subtly asking for likes. Plus, the facebook commentors will simply say the same thing as each other, even if the same joke is in plain sight. It’s just a pain having to see facebook comments every time you go to an article or picture.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

That’s nice.

Unless you want to get into KYM’s own comments section.

EDIT: @ Papaphill:It’s better to see posts by KYM’s own users, who have created accounts for this site, than to have to scroll past posts by users of another site that have a direct link to this one via a plugin.

I think they should have to sign up for KYM if they want their comments on top.

Why are you people downvoting him? He’s stating his opinion. Do not downvote people just because they disagree with you.

Piano wrote:

At least most of the comments users make on articles or pictures are witty, and don’t employ the use of subtly asking for likes. Plus, the facebook commentors will simply say the same thing as each other, even if the same joke is in plain sight. It’s just a pain having to see facebook comments every time you go to an article or picture.

It’s not like you have to scroll through all the facebook comments to get to the site user comments, It only displays a few of the facebook comments before hiding the rest.
And most comments users make are not witty, and they do say the same thing as each other.

Piano wrote:

Even though I have a strong feeling you’re trolling,
Remove: 6
Keep: 3

I don’t see a problem with them, no troll.

papap wrote:

It’s not like you have to scroll through all the facebook comments to get to the site user comments, It only displays a few of the facebook comments before hiding the rest.
And most comments users make are not witty, and they do say the same thing as each other.

I’ve never seen the KYM commentors act less witty than the Facebook commentors. Plus, a good amount of the comments you see on the Facebook plugin are simply about how people don’t understand the reference. If it’s a weird day, you’ll only see 1-2 people not understanding the reference on the regular comments, but on a normal day the Facebook comment section is flooded with confusion. It gets annoying, you know?

Kalmo wrote:

Sure. Have fun with your delusions. Facebook gives good publicity to the site due to how popular it is. And not all of them are useless. Some comments actually help with research.

This. Honestly, I don’t see any problem with them, and some of the are actually helpful.

papap wrote:

It’s not like you have to scroll through all the facebook comments to get to the site user comments, It only displays a few of the facebook comments before hiding the rest.
And most comments users make are not witty, and they do say the same thing as each other.

At the very least, they need to be moved to the bottom of the page.

Ashki wrote:

This. Honestly, I don’t see any problem with them, and some of the are actually helpful.

You’re mentioning a very, very small minority of Facebook commentors. The rest simply say “Me right now :D” “looolllzzzz” and “This is stupid”.

From the other thread:

Here is why the facebook comments are staying:

It brings in views

Your comment on the page might be all well and good, but when someone on facebook comments on it, other people will see it in their feed, and will then have a higher probability of going to that meme entry, thus giving us more page views and ad revenue.

It would be worse for the site as a whole if we remove it, and if you want it gone yourself, just ad block it.

Stop being so damn selfish.
Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 02:29PM EST

My argument is if they don’t contribute, then they don’t deserve to comments.

Yes I’m being exeptionalist deal with it.

EDIT: Selfish… okay then…

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 02:30PM EST

You guys are making this a bigger issue than it should be.


“They don’t contribute”

Like all comments users make are such a great contribution.

Last edited Jan 01, 2012 at 02:41PM EST

They are annoying as fuck but we should still keep them. I know that when someone says “lol” and gets 50000000 likes it makes my head explode. But if you don’t like the facebook comments, don’t look at them.

Keep

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!