Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

photo gallery cleanup using folders suggestion (part 2 sorta?)

Last posted Apr 12, 2012 at 06:10PM EDT. Added Apr 12, 2012 at 03:35PM EDT
9 posts from 6 users

so, in my last thread, I agree to the the following retorts made:
- yes all that organizing might take a long ass time
- most of those are very related derivatives of that meme, me saying they're unrelated is entirely wrong and I feel like an asshole for saying so

so that brings me to my next suggestion: folders!

so lets say, in the image gallery for the CSI 4 pane, for the picture-order viewing options, you got: newest, oldest, rating….and FOLDERS! YAY!

so some folders you can use are:

- one for the typical reiterations of the meme
- one for fan art
- one for crossovers with other tv shows, movies, comic books etc
- one for ponies
- one for people using pictures of themselves
- one for ones that don't make sense

how does this affect? as the image gallery gets more huge and hard to navigate through (even though all you have to do is scroll), and you only want to see a certain type of meme reiteration while skipping others, this could be a very good way of organizing the images

problems I forsee with this are:

- could also take a long time to implement and organize properly
- some instances could be hard to categorize as they might cover more than one of those folder descriptions
- shitstorm?

Why would you want to organize folders so particularly? I think people who browse this site aren't so lazy that everything needs to be organized in folders for their convenience. If they want a certain photo, they can take their time and find it. Plus, it would take too long to organize these "folders" properly.

I think the best thing here would be to have a proper utilization of the tag functionality, which I don't believe many of our users or uploaders use very often (I could be wrong in this, however).

I know that when I upload images, I normally do them in a giant bunch, but I don't want to have to spend 10 extra seconds on every one to tag them individually.

Perhaps this could be alleviated by the ability to upload groups of photos, that don't show up until they are moderator/administrator approved.

This would allow mass tagging and would make it much easier as a whole to make groups of these.

Another way to make it easier would be to have a drop-down list or checklist of common tags that uploaders could use, once again making it easier and more likely that the tags would be used.

Also, a way to search for tags specifically in image galleries would be great.

What do you guys think?

I'll go get James. He just loves to recode large portions of the site for dubious reasons.

Major problem: People are going to do it wrong. You'll end up with too many images in the wrong folders, which will take up more time then the image mods can spend.

Also, can people just make folders? If so, we get folder-trolling. If not, then the editors of the entry or a mod need to make new folder, which doesn't make sense either. If we use a preset for all, that means that the point of the folders is annulled: people looking for specific crossovers would have to sift through other crossovers.

That and the ones you suggest don't make a lot of sense. People using pictures of themselves as its own folder? Ponies getting their own folder? (No special treatment)

Chris wrote:

I think the best thing here would be to have a proper utilization of the tag functionality, which I don't believe many of our users or uploaders use very often (I could be wrong in this, however).

I know that when I upload images, I normally do them in a giant bunch, but I don't want to have to spend 10 extra seconds on every one to tag them individually.

Perhaps this could be alleviated by the ability to upload groups of photos, that don't show up until they are moderator/administrator approved.

This would allow mass tagging and would make it much easier as a whole to make groups of these.

Another way to make it easier would be to have a drop-down list or checklist of common tags that uploaders could use, once again making it easier and more likely that the tags would be used.

Also, a way to search for tags specifically in image galleries would be great.

What do you guys think?

Sorry to doublepost, might as well address this.

This would be great. If we were to implement a function that, on request, searches an image gallery for all images with the right tags, it could be useful to find images.

Would people be allowed to add tags to images they didn't upload? That would be useful, but again would probably result in people abusing the opportunity.

All in all, not sure how well it would work- only for the reason that it depends on users. We still manage to get plenty of people who don't read the rules/ignore them before posting an entry or in the forums, so I doubt they'd use the tag function universally, and if they use it sparingly then there isn't really a point.

tag function sounds great, checklists, drop down menus, common tags, searching for tags, werd

people doing it wrong……..yeah goddamn :(

i think only editors and mods should be allowed to make folders to prevent folder trolling
no presets, tailored and suited for all, i think it's easy to make folders that make sense, e.g. the bachor/ette frog example, one for each of them, and another for both of them combined in a same image

"people looking for specific crossovers would have to sift through other crossovers.
sifting over other crossovers is better than sifting over a whole gallery that has all the images in one, and there can be subfolders to help this if needed

tagging an image you didn't upload should be left to editors and mods

man I gotta get back into coding

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!