Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Suggesting a change on an entry now requires an Email.

Last posted May 09, 2012 at 07:07PM EDT. Added May 04, 2012 at 05:16PM EDT
12 posts from 6 users

A change on a thread?

Do you mean on an entry?

And, if you mean entry, we want an email so that we can be sure we can contact you in case we need to about the request.

Sometimes people sign up to sites using fake emails or they have changed their main email since they joined, so it's best to get your most current one, I would suppose.

@Katie – Here's one I got recently:

Yo, guest user kamina face (le@lelele.le) has a suggestion for That Really Rustled My Jimmies.

Their suggestion is:

Le this me-me started in le 9gag

I don't think that it's really a problem, though, since it's just so easy to ignore fake suggestions like this.

Now, about having logged-in users supply an email, just see Chirs' post.

*Entry

Derp, sorry, I have a bit of dyslexia. (Can sombody fix that please?)

Anyways, I understand it would allow non-users to contribute, but for regular users it should just send replies to their default email or Pm box. Just saying…

It really isn't about you contacting us as it is about us contacting you.

Every editorship request is sent to the email of the moderators, not their PM boxes, and we sort stuff out from there.

Sometimes it is necessary to contact the person back, and that's where having the email comes in.

Certainly we can contact the person through PM, but if they don't have an account, we need to contact them some other way.

Even if they have an account, having more than one way to be sure you can contact them isn't bad.

As for why it doesn't send to default email, I think that's just because it's easier to code when it just asks for it (which I assume it does, I haven't used the request editorship button for a year, lol).

Also, as a side effect, it makes it harder for some person to just spam editorship requests, so there's that.

Quantum Meme wrote:

I must ask, why DON'T we do it through PMs? I hate getting flooded in my main inbox on my e-mail.

(Please don't tell me that I can just turn off the e-mail thing)

You can change the email KYM sends everything to in your profile settings. Just change it so stuff gets send to a non-excisting mail.

But I fail to see how 10 editorships can get your inbox flooded. Perhaps you have the "Notifiy me of replies?" box checked. Uncheck that one at the bottom of your account settings to stop receive a mail each time you get a wall post. That way the only things you receive mail from are when you get a PM, or when one of the entries you're an editor of receives a request or suggestion.

If you go with the first option (changing your mail), I have to point out you lack dedication as an editor (but only if you continue with it). As it's then impossible for others to reach you through those entries and notify you of stuff.

Last edited May 08, 2012 at 06:28PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

You can change the email KYM sends everything to in your profile settings. Just change it so stuff gets send to a non-excisting mail.

But I fail to see how 10 editorships can get your inbox flooded. Perhaps you have the "Notifiy me of replies?" box checked. Uncheck that one at the bottom of your account settings to stop receive a mail each time you get a wall post. That way the only things you receive mail from are when you get a PM, or when one of the entries you're an editor of receives a request or suggestion.

If you go with the first option (changing your mail), I have to point out you lack dedication as an editor (but only if you continue with it). As it's then impossible for others to reach you through those entries and notify you of stuff.

Fair enough; Inarguable.

I don't know… it just the whole type in an email thing seems weird to me… Especially after having a system that automatically uses the email tied to your account to do the exact same thing.

Oh well.

Last edited May 09, 2012 at 07:08PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!