Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

4,332 total conversations in 269 threads

+ New Thread


How about a "Fad" Classification?

Last posted Dec 06, 2012 at 05:34PM EST. Added Nov 27, 2012 at 01:47PM EST
15 posts from 12 users

Lots of random fads have been circulating on KYM for a while under the meme classification, and I’ve noticed a lot of people are getting very angry, so how about we just add a Fad classification and monitor when it goes out?

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:47PM EST
Quote

I’d actually be all for this. It really belongs in the Suggestions thread though. However, I think I’ll leave this unlocked so everyone else can weigh in on it, moving it to the other thread wouldn’t get as much discussion happening. Since this is a pretty big suggestion, I guess it could merit a whole thread.

Nov 27, 2012 at 01:51PM EST
Quote

I agree with this, sometimes it just doesn’t feel right to label a Fad as a Meme when it lasts only a few weeks or even a few days.

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:14PM EST
Quote

I disagree. An internet meme is a is a concept or idea which spreads and is shared on the internet. Simple as that, doesn’t even need to be fuckhuge. They can be anything, an image, hyperlink, video, picture, website, or hashtag, even just a word or phrase, including intentionally misspelling.

If I share some random face I just drew on KYM, and users here will use it a few times in their photoshops, I have basically created a meme. Will it be a popular and/or notable meme that deserves documentation on KYM? Of course not, but it’s a meme nonetheless.

It’s true that the “meme” classification is not one most people are ok with, but it’s a correct classification nonetheless. What people tend to forget though is Submissions =/= Confirmed. That’s what those statuses are for, because when an entry is still in submissions, we don’t acknowledge it as a meme yet. Comments however, based on their reactions, blatantly assume each new submission will receive the confirmed status some day, an obviously false assumption for which I wish they would slam their head between a closing drawer sometimes.


Natsuru wrote:

I agree with this, sometimes it just doesn’t feel right to label a Fad as a Meme when it lasts only a few weeks or even a few days.

Besides the above explanation about the “meme” classification, fact with these short fads remains that at a certain point they were extremely popular and appeared everywhere, only to die later. We document those entries because of that, as those entries were “the next big meme” during their days.

Lately we’ve given the “Event” classification to these few day fads a few times, but that entirely depends on what it is and how it spreads.

Nov 27, 2012 at 04:47PM EST
Quote

Well. I had to go out for a bit, planning to come back and give my take, but RandomMan and I seem to have hiveminded (especially since I left about 10-15 minutes ago as I write, and his timestamp is 10 minutes ago). Basically what he said: even though they may not have the spread of Trollface.jpg or Socially Awkward Penguin, new Tumblr or Reddit macros, by the strictest sense of the term, are still memes. The original base has derivatives and other versions, therefore it is a meme. Confirmed status is for memes that are notable and permeate the entire internet (or certain regions of it, such as with Noelisme or Meuporg). A lot of memes were small and deserve to be in submission hell. Some of those may eventually grow, though. we just need to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Nov 27, 2012 at 05:05PM EST
Quote

I agree with RandomMan on this. A meme is, as stated, a concept or an idea which has spread, so by that merit even fads that last a couple of days are still memes, as they have shown spread. Also like RandomMan said, some smaller fads are getting the event category as well. Let’s take, for example, Gak. The Gak fad is one of the only memes I can think of that was born and died in a single day, but that gallery has over 300 images in it, proving it deserves an entry of it’s own. Because of the single day spread, it is titled Event. I’d say that fads don’t need their own category, as the existing ones cover them well enough. Plus the category of Fad is a bit vague in my opinion.

Last edited Nov 27, 2012 at 05:07PM EST
Nov 27, 2012 at 05:05PM EST
Quote

Alrighty then. _ I just wanted to see what people thought about it. If no one wants it, that’s fine.

Nov 28, 2012 at 07:36AM EST
Quote

I also disagree, because a meme is a meme, no matter how long it lasts for. Photo Fads are a meme, and “Fads” is even in their title.

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:26PM EST
Quote

If it doesn’t last long enough to be a meme but still has relevance, just use the event tag.

Nov 29, 2012 at 09:48PM EST
Quote

I think it would clean up entries a bit more, filtering out a lot of junk.

But then everyone would put their entires into the, “Fad” section, because by that point, no-one will know if the entry will continue to grow.

Dec 01, 2012 at 05:15AM EST

Nikolaki8 wrote:

I think it would clean up entries a bit more, filtering out a lot of junk.

But then everyone would put their entires into the, “Fad” section, because by that point, no-one will know if the entry will continue to grow.

…So you debunked your own argument?

Dec 05, 2012 at 08:56PM EST
Quote

I agree; there’s a lot of fads that aren’t really “memes” but are put there because none of the other categories fit, and a meme isthe closest thing a person can classify it as.

Take like the Mario Castle Calamity; I’ve editorship on it, but it’s not really a meme (more like a fad). So I think adding a “Fad” category to the list will help sort out entries more (And probably take them out of deadpool status)

EDIT: Seeing the other replies to this forum, I guess it’d be a bit of a toss-up issue at this point

Last edited Dec 06, 2012 at 11:12AM EST
Dec 06, 2012 at 11:10AM EST
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

I disagree. An internet meme is a is a concept or idea which spreads and is shared on the internet. Simple as that, doesn’t even need to be fuckhuge. They can be anything, an image, hyperlink, video, picture, website, or hashtag, even just a word or phrase, including intentionally misspelling.

If I share some random face I just drew on KYM, and users here will use it a few times in their photoshops, I have basically created a meme. Will it be a popular and/or notable meme that deserves documentation on KYM? Of course not, but it’s a meme nonetheless.

It’s true that the “meme” classification is not one most people are ok with, but it’s a correct classification nonetheless. What people tend to forget though is Submissions =/= Confirmed. That’s what those statuses are for, because when an entry is still in submissions, we don’t acknowledge it as a meme yet. Comments however, based on their reactions, blatantly assume each new submission will receive the confirmed status some day, an obviously false assumption for which I wish they would slam their head between a closing drawer sometimes.


Natsuru wrote:

I agree with this, sometimes it just doesn’t feel right to label a Fad as a Meme when it lasts only a few weeks or even a few days.

Besides the above explanation about the “meme” classification, fact with these short fads remains that at a certain point they were extremely popular and appeared everywhere, only to die later. We document those entries because of that, as those entries were “the next big meme” during their days.

Lately we’ve given the “Event” classification to these few day fads a few times, but that entirely depends on what it is and how it spreads.

Well, we document memes, the classification of ‘Fad’ doesn’t necessarily change the meme into anything less. By this, I mean it’s still a meme, it’s just not a great one so it is classified as a fad, I believe that could work.

And yes, ‘Event’ is usually used like that, but ‘Fad’ is probably more specific.

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:12PM EST
Quote

量子 Meme wrote:

Well, we document memes, the classification of ‘Fad’ doesn’t necessarily change the meme into anything less. By this, I mean it’s still a meme, it’s just not a great one so it is classified as a fad, I believe that could work.

And yes, ‘Event’ is usually used like that, but ‘Fad’ is probably more specific.

That’s why I pointed out the difference between SUBMISSION and CONFIRMED (yes, that was needed). If a fad fails to grow to the levels of notability or spread we ask from it to ever get confirmed, it keeps being a submission. You seem to assume that each meme entry in submission status is already confirmed, the question remaining when.

The problem here is not how we categorize it, the problem is how you seem to fail to note the almost identical meaning between the two words.

Both from their wiki pages:

“A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed with enthusiasm for some period, generally as a result of the behavior’s being perceived as novel in some way. A fad is said to “catch on” when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly. The behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone."

“A meme is “an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture.” A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate and respond to selective pressures."

Now you go explain me when only one of those two works. A fad says it’s limited to a short time, but the description for meme doesn’t state that time is of any matter. They both explain what we document, subjects that were capable of reaching a large audience and generated a lot of attention.

The Fad category basically combines meme and event, while now we keep them seperated. The addition of a fad category wouldn’t be more specific, it would create a mumbo jumbo of meme and event entries mashed together into one category, going as small as one-thread images, to which literally everything that falls under both can be added.

If it is a meme, it is a fad. If it is an event, it’s also a fad. You’re not asking us to add a category, you’re asking us to slam two categories into one and keep the other ones around for fun. How can we properly categorize memes and events when we have the fad option as the get-out-of-jail-free-card?

Dec 06, 2012 at 05:34PM EST
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!