Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Suggestions For New KYM Titles

Last posted Mar 31, 2014 at 04:17PM EDT. Added Mar 10, 2014 at 09:46PM EDT
38 posts from 12 users

So, we all know how there are unique titles on KYM that suit the winner of the title's specialty, correct? A large amount of them were handed out during the 2013 KYM Thanks Awards and can still be distributed as we speak.

So, this is a thread for suggestions of new titles you think could be useful! (Don't be overly ridiculous. Think of things that actually have a chance of being approved)

Who knows? Maybe someone's suggestions might become a reality!

I just have one for now:

Religion Expert

Creative isn't it?

How about incredibly specific Commentator titles?
Examples:
Pop Culture Commentator
Celebrity Sleaze Commentator
Sports Commentator

etc…

What about titles for giving and receiving Karma?
Maybe something like "Karma handout" or "Karma giver" for users who have given a lot of karma.
Or something like "Karma expert" for users with god percentage karma or lots of karma per forum post.
(Also, I know there's already the titles of "Karma tycoon" and "Karma philanthropist", but I'm talking about Forum karma instead of just posts in general)

Muffinlicious wrote:

What about titles for giving and receiving Karma?
Maybe something like "Karma handout" or "Karma giver" for users who have given a lot of karma.
Or something like "Karma expert" for users with god percentage karma or lots of karma per forum post.
(Also, I know there's already the titles of "Karma tycoon" and "Karma philanthropist", but I'm talking about Forum karma instead of just posts in general)

Sounds a little too repetitive to me. If they already have ones for karma in general, why have one for just the forums? Doesn't make much sense to me. Your mind is in the right place though. Any other ideas?

How about something for gaming? I'm not much of a gamer, but someone who is an expert on game memes (we have the Video Game Logic page) or game culture? Meh, could work…

The only ones I can think of at the moment seem a little self serving.
Maybe stuff for people who identify and note biases in articles, or people involved in making sure older memes that we've had pages on for years get revisions that meet current standards.

In attempt to make this thread not about potential prizes or exclusives;

We need something for the 10,000 contribution/post mark for each category, essentially a new tier for all the potential title-routes. Something better than a Archivist, Conversationalist,etc.

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 02:25AM EDT

Samuel, someone like you should know at this point that this is a thread for Site-Related, not General, and you can't convince me this wasn't intentional.

Are you really that desperate for a custom title?

Religion Expert
Creative isn’t it?

…I didn't even need to ask.

Nats wrote:

We need something for the 10,000 contribution/post mark for each category, essentially a new tier for all the potential title-routes. Something better than a Archivist, Conversationalist,etc.

This I can place myself more behind. The current highest given titles on those areas aren't that unique anymore, everyone has them by now.

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Seems like a good idea, but I don't think it should be something quite as big as 10,000, as there are only 7 people I know of (Brad, Don, Amanda b., Platus, Dr. Greg, Unraveler, and Blue Yoshi) that have more than 10,000 of a single contribution. I think it would work better if it were something around 5,000 or smaller.

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 04:35AM EDT

How about something specific for videos when they reach 100, since scrapbooker is image only? I don't think special privilages should be involved for it though.

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 06:19PM EDT

@Randomman

Are you really that desperate for a custom title?

Why does everyone automatically attribute everything I do as self-serving? I don't know what gave me this awful reputation but for some reason I have it and it's not going away! I'm pretty sure I could post relatively anything and have people judge me for having ulterior motives. I could post something about me curing cancer and giving food to the starving Ethiopian children and my responses would be "u krama hore git ur selfish shit outta hurr u swine check ur prevelege" (An exaggeration, but pretty accurate nonetheless.) I genuinely think that's a good idea though! Not as good as others, but it would make sense. I just kind of wanted to give a mediocre example to get the ideas flowing. I even sarcastically commented on how "creative" it was when in reality it's not.

As for titles, I think the best ideas so far is the new tier because "Conversationalist" and "Archivist" as well to an extent have become so worn out and Gary's suggestion for "Video Game Expert".

How about more fandom badges? Pokemon, Homestuck, and MLP aren't the only big fandoms on the internet.

Moar possible suggestions now that I'm in the zone:

Disney, comic books/manga, movies, politics, controversies (top lel), science, creepypastas, etc!

I'll be brutally honest, even I thought the same thing as RandomMan when I saw Religion Expert. I mean, the only person I can think of who's worked on religious themed entries is you, and even that amounts to just the Christianity entry.

I can, however, get behind a new badge for Video Game related contributions. I'm shocked it's not been included yet, it covers a large portion of the site's entries.

@The Biggest Boss

Why does everyone automatically attribute everything I do as self-serving?

A reputation can only be changed through action, and not much has been done since you gained your previous reputation, nor can we expect it to change here.

You did work on the Christianity entry and started the most recent atheism thread. Both were something you were dedicated towards and during both cases you often posted with a tone that you were the all-knowing guru on the topic of religion.

And then here the first new award you can think of is something related to religion, something you probably consider yourself having quite a good shot at should we use it. Who else would you suggest then other than yourself? You can't tell me there isn't a hidden undertone there reading "I'd like to get rewarded for those things and/or a custom title".

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 07:51PM EDT

Muffinlicious wrote:

Seems like a good idea, but I don't think it should be something quite as big as 10,000, as there are only 7 people I know of (Brad, Don, Amanda b., Platus, Dr. Greg, Unraveler, and Blue Yoshi) that have more than 10,000 of a single contribution. I think it would work better if it were something around 5,000 or smaller.

Cause it kinda would be better to future proof everything.

Only issue is I am not an expert on the English language and my previous attempts at using a thesaurus for finding more grand sounding names has kinda been fruitless. Anyone think it would be appropriate to suggest words from other languages?

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 07:52PM EDT

In regards to above posts, how about ranks for 2500, 5000, and 10000? Make them really special. Because by that rate, they would have contributed more than enough to KYM.

"Why does everyone automatically attribute everything I do as self-serving?"

edit: eugh one day I'm going to get this block quote right.

Well people expecting your religion expertise comes from the fact that a huge portion of your threads are religion based, and a pretty good percentage of them showed a little uncool I guess is the word, especially since pretty much everyone here is atheist, and no one isn't going to rage by you saying that as a fact. From the top of my head I can think of your religion thread, your rant thread (begun thread by complaining about Bill Nye article, which others heavily disagreed with), your religious stuff in meme research, etc.

Your stature of apparant "I'm so high and mighty" comes from your other threads, sadly I cannot think of others on the top of my head other than the KYM AMA (which I may note you made 2 of, on of you, and one of the "whole community" since yours got locked), and this thread, but I am definite there are more.

While I'm not saying this is who you are irl, it is giving you a bit of a bad aura. This doesn't mean your a shitty guy, but at least understand the criticism that people are trying to give you.

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 08:31PM EDT

@Both Randoms:

I don't really think I deserve a special title for two religion-related things. That would be pretty stupid. You really think I'm that desperate? I might try doing more religious stuff on this site in the future, but that's just because it's my field of expertise IRL. I'm not really going for a title at the moment, existing or non-existent. I did really want to get "Meme Taxonomist" a short while back, but I've kind of put that goal off to the side because I realized that I have too much of a life to tag 100 pics a day. I'm approaching it more slowly now, but I'm not going to kill for a title like you think I do or like Ann used to be quite a while back. (It's okay Ann, the past is in the past!)

@Ring Pop

The second one was genuine! I actually wanted to make one about everyone. I like the community here and I feel that I should get to know the people here more beyond the mask they put on for the internet. That was just another example of people judging me on previous actions instead of the here and now. If I didn't already have a bad reputation and had made the first AMA thread, no one would mind the one about everybody.

You are very correct that I am not like this IRL though. I purposefully put on this overly-macho shroud over my personality because I had to use it to adapt to KYM specifically. I don't have it in real life or anywhere else on the internet for that matter. It was just "Survival of the Fittest" in action. The KYM userbase is like a lake full of blood-thirsty piranhas. If you let people step over you, you won't make it past Gold Member. To fix this, I made this massive ego for myself to be able to step up within the community. Now that I'm already integrated into the community and I am moderately well-known and people have been beating me up about the ego thing, I have mostly let go of it. This is more like the real me. I changed my profile not just because I was bored of Sam (still a reason, but not too important), but to represent that I had let go of "Sam" and most of which he represents.

Now could we please go back to discussing titles? Even though it may shock you, I don't want this to be all about me.

Anyways, if the new tiers were implemented, what would be their names? Maybe "Can't STFU" for 5000 comments/forum posts and "Hory Shet How U Do Dis" for 5000 images/videos?

JK LOL

I'm serious about the naming thing though. Suggestions? I have to agree with Gary though. Maybe there should be more intervals in between to keep users motivated on going to the upper tiers so they don't get discouraged going towards nearly impossible goals.

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 08:41PM EDT

Current for Media Uploads:

Scrapbooker: 100 Images.
Collector: 100 Images or Videos. (Well, I assume Just Videos at this point)
Archivist: 500 Images or Videos.

500th benchmark I suggest we change to Cataloger.

1,000th I suggest we bump Archivist up to.

5,000th I suggest Curator, which is like a Zoo or Museum's Owner.

10,000th I suggest Treasurer.

Current for Posting:

Commentator: 100 Forum Posts or Comments.
Conversationalist: 1000 Forum Posts or Comments.

5,000th I suggest Orator, which is an official term for a Speech Giver.

10,000th I suggest Verbose Elocutionist, which is somebody who studies and applies oral delivery and gesture.

EDIT: 500th Benchmark I suggest Loquacious, which is somebody who is talkative.

And the ludicrous goal for Mad People: Getting over 10,000 Images, Videos, Comments/Forum Posts, and Edits should give the user the title of Grandmaster.

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 10:46PM EDT

I think we're pretty much done here with the new image and posting titles because Natsuru pretty much covered everything.

So, any more ideas unrelated, or do you guys want to add onto this anymore? I would be surprised if someone could think of something better.

Current for Posting:

10,000th I suggest Verbose Elocutionist, which is somebody who studies and applies oral delivery and gesture.

And the ludicrous goal for Mad People: Getting over 10,000 Images, Videos, Comments/Forum Posts, and Edits should give the user the title of Grandmaster.

^^ This
I had made a list of titles for media uploads and comments, but you pretty much summed up exactly what I was going to say.
The only thing I could add is Maybe the title of Media Librarian for 2,500 images/videos.

We could do it like the roman army. Legionary, Optio, Centurion, Prefect, Tribune, Laget, Auxiliary , Auquilifiers, etc

One small thing I am concerned about is changing the Archivist rank to a different section. May cause a slight confusion. Otherwise still perfect.

Edit: One thing I'm noticing, because we are making more ranks, we are encouraging people to spend more and more time on this site… Not that there's anything wrong with that…

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 11:05PM EDT

@Muffinlicious: I'm not certain about "Media Librarian". First off, I would just have it be "Librarian", and secondly it doesn't sound as dignified as Archivist so I wouldn't put it above it. Maybe make Archivist 2,500 and have Librarian at 1000.

@GaryTheStormtrooper: It was kinda mandatory to fluff up the list of titles lower down. Again, Archivist sounds SUPER dignified and therefore should be higher up on the list as a result.

@Big Boss:

Not so fast bro, we have another section worth thinking over and potentially renameing.

Entry Contributions (Contributions needed are unknown to me.)

Research Advisor: ?
Resident Researcher: ?
Sr. Researcher: ???
Researcher: 5 Entry Editorships.
Jr. Researcher: 2 Entry Editorships.

Look at this bland list. It's nothing but a bland string of bland "Researcher" titles that nobody could possibly strive for!

Last edited Mar 11, 2014 at 11:21PM EDT

Current for Posting:

Nice suggestions, I would make two edits though.

I'd change the number of contributions required for media to 100 – 500 – 1000 – 2500 – 5000. So no 10k title, but instead place a 2,5k inbetween. Titles given can remain the same.

Reason for this is that the posting-related titles are MUCH easier to obtain, so 10k is doable there, but media is more difficult and requires more dedication. Like how currently Archivist requires 500 media uploads and Conversationalist 1000 posts, expand that to your ideas by adding a zero behind both.

My second edit would be your Grandmaster idea. Take out the edits requirement (who even has 1k edits outside of mods), and bring the number required to having both highest titles (so 5k images and 10k comments).

Which then brings you down to the edit-related titles, which should probably be given more priority because good entry contributors are rare (or already made mod). The highest number there obtainable can probably be kept to 1000 edits and/or 50 editorships, because higher outside of the mods barely occurs. But something outside of "Researcher" might be nice yes.

Last edited Mar 12, 2014 at 06:04AM EDT

Good point on both of those. I don't have much else more to say about them, but I really do hope this all gets implemented. And yeah, Grandmaster should just default to displaying once the user would have achieved all the highest titles.

@Rare Good Entry Contributors:

Can I just bring up real quick that we have solid incentive systems for Images, Videos, Comments, and Forum Posts (voting systems), but not the entries themselves? (Can't really count Confirms as an incentive due to their low impact on user statistics and their rarity. And the User Rewards do every category besides Forum at the moment.)

Though that issue might be for another thread, but I have an idea on this relevant topic, namely addressing the User Statistics Impact.

Create a string of titles based on the number of Confirms an Editor has gotten.

To get points towards a title like that, the User must have been an Editor at the time the entry was confirmed.

Keep the "Researcher" line the same and bland, but make Entry Confirm Titles have increased priority over Researcher, Media Contributes, and Posters. (300-500 point weight maybe?)

Here we can intentionally use ego-stroking titles the creation of these, or maybe have them be references to Mythology. Things that intentionally put them over professions or personality traits. "King Confirm" and "Golden Touch" being the first few that come to mind. (Because really, the main function of the site should have the most grand sounding titles).

Last edited Mar 12, 2014 at 08:05AM EDT

@Nats

Deadpooled and Hidden entries and the edits you got there aren't counted towards the total needed for the title.

There isn't however any difference in counting Submission or Confirmed. But considering the all too infamous Submission purgatory, it might be more fair that way. Just be lucky with the confirms, and you can end up with a title someone else deserves.

Having the titles next to the current researcher ones, I dunno. People submit shitty entries, that then get rewritten entirely by the mods or staff. You also have plenty requesting editorship under the promise of being able to help, but once added never actually make an edit. Would you consider those worthy of your confirm title ideas?

Last edited Mar 12, 2014 at 08:05AM EDT

Yeah, it was kinda a longshot suggesting that. There are too many flaws in the core function and in user reliability to make that work. Literally everything else related to those would need to be improved before something like this could work (our staff of 5 or so people wouldn't allow for such a system to work). I would like for it to eventually work, but that might just be a fairy tail at this point.

Having the titles next to the current researcher ones…

"Displaying more than one title"

Hey… you know that empty spot under a persons avatar on their profile? Where the Badges go sometimes? What if all the non-dominate titles where listed under the badges? With a little decorated Plaque displaying the title with a colorful little graphic? And hovering over them would display how much work/posts you needed to do to "Level Up"?

Wikia and Gaia use something like that, so that Might be a good solution to getting people active in more parts of the website than just one.

Yeah, it might only work on completionists, but going in knowing that it will definitely work on one the demographic who will most likely do a good amount of work before throwing the towel in is better than diving in just adding more content at random.

Last edited Mar 12, 2014 at 08:47AM EDT

@Muffinlicious: I'm not certain about "Media Librarian". First off, I would just have it be "Librarian", and secondly it doesn't sound as dignified as Archivist so I wouldn't put it above it. Maybe make Archivist 2,500 and have Librarian at 1000.

@GaryTheStormtrooper: It was kinda mandatory to fluff up the list of titles lower down. Again, Archivist sounds SUPER dignified and therefore should be higher up on the list as a result.

@Big Boss:

Not so fast bro, we have another section worth thinking over and potentially renameing.

Entry Contributions (Contributions needed are unknown to me.)

Research Advisor: ?
Resident Researcher: ?
Sr. Researcher: ???
Researcher: 5 Entry Editorships.
Jr. Researcher: 2 Entry Editorships.

Look at this bland list. It's nothing but a bland string of bland "Researcher" titles that nobody could possibly strive for!

Researcher ideas:

Jr. Researcher = ? (Something under the lines of a young researcher)

Researcher = Researcher

Research Advisor = Analyst

Sr. Researcher = Catalogger (I was going to say Librarian, but Amanda already took it :p)

Also Polymath is another suggestion for the highest title, as it is a person whose expertise spans a significant number of different subject areas; such a person is known to draw on complex bodies of knowledge to solve specific problems.

Last edited Mar 12, 2014 at 03:42PM EDT

I got a few, but they seem a tad bit weak. (It would be helpful if I actually knew the stats of these)

Jr. Researcher = Gatherer

Researcher = Reporter

Sr. Researcher = Journalist

Resident Researcher = Anchorman

Research Adviser = Archeologist

NEW TEIR = Paleontologist, which is a scientist who studies "the forms of life existing in former geologic periods, as represented by their fossils."

EDIT:

Ahm… yeah, some of these work, but… some of them work better for Event Entries and others work for Meme Entries. Because of that split I wasn't certain if I should be shooting for Archeologist related titles or News related titles.

Last edited Mar 12, 2014 at 11:20PM EDT

I hope I'm not late too much.
What if after 10 or more editorships in subculture will give the user the sbuvulture expert or something like that?

Penny wrote:

I hope I'm not late too much.
What if after 10 or more editorships in subculture will give the user the sbuvulture expert or something like that?

Not only did you kind of revive it a dying, these are pretty relevant and cool ideas, and we can't really let them go to waste.

It would be pretty wonderful if they ever got implemented.

Cronus wrote:

Not only did you kind of revive it a dying, these are pretty relevant and cool ideas, and we can't really let them go to waste.

It would be pretty wonderful if they ever got implemented.

Thanks and LOL I really double posted the same thing? Also subvulture, well this is hawkward.

Last edited Mar 31, 2014 at 03:43PM EDT

To avoid double posting, don't throttle the Post button, and don't refresh when you get an error 504. That should keep the problem from happening.

Researcher Related Titles that are based on the type of research a person has done.

Hm…
Meme Entries: Archeology Related Term(s)
People Entries: Not exactly that certain on what you call people who follow celebrities.
Event Entries: Obviously News and Journalism related term(s).
Subculture Entries: Term(s) related to Anthropology, though I do understand some of the Badge Titles use "Anthropology" in them.

To avoid double posting, don't throttle the Post button, and don't refresh when you get an error 504. That should keep the problem from happening.

Researcher Related Titles that are based on the type of research a person has done.

Hm…
Meme Entries: Archeology Related Term(s)
People Entries: Not exactly that certain on what you call people who follow celebrities.
Event Entries: Obviously News and Journalism related term(s).
Subculture Entries: Term(s) related to Anthropology, though I do understand some of the Badge Titles use "Anthropology" in them.

Meme Entries = no idea

People Entries = Paparazzi

Event Entries = News Stand (?)

Subculture -Fandom God 25+ entries (no idea for others)

>News Stand

Anyways, from what I have, it's mostly a fill in the blanks for Events and Meme related Titles.

What I had before for probably Event-Related.

Researcher = Reporter

Sr. Researcher = Journalist

Resident Researcher = Anchorman

Research Advisor = ??

New Teir = ??

Then for Meme Entries:

Researcher = Researcher

Sr. Researcher = ???

Resident Adviser = ???

Research Adviser = Archeologist

NEW TEIR = Paleontologist, which is a scientist who studies “the forms of life existing in former geologic periods, as represented by their fossils.”

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!