Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

4,172 total conversations in 255 threads

+ New Thread


New Moderator Suggestions

Last posted Mar 24, 2014 at 09:44PM EDT. Added Mar 18, 2014 at 05:54PM EDT
36 posts from 14 users

It was suggested that someone create this suggestion thread since it does not already exist so I suggested to myself that I should make it!


So, ideas? In my opinion, I don’t think we really need anymore. We have about enough. Maybe some Image Mods because KYM image galleries are a mess, especially the larger ones like Reaction Faces

I would give some suggestions, but I can think of way too many. An excellent choice would be to make Gaben an entry mod possibly. We all know that he can pull it off, even if there are already enough. Even though there is already a surplus of mods, suggesting a few possibilities can’t hurt, right? They might be needed in the future.

Last edited Mar 18, 2014 at 05:56PM EDT
Mar 18, 2014 at 05:54PM EDT
Quote

Yeesh, the image galleries are a train wreck after another. We definately need someone/something to manage the images. Though it’d be a lot of work.

And mentioning Reaction Faces, that’s one of the biggest problems.


These aren’t reaction faces. We have a thread for this, but this issue needs to be addressed again.

Last edited Mar 18, 2014 at 10:11PM EDT
Mar 18, 2014 at 10:03PM EDT
Quote

Agreeing with Gary. Many of the galleries have become just places to upload anything without any rhyme or real reason Tumblr, Alternative Universe, and Reaction Faces seem to be the number one galleries of ignoring entries we have for that exact thing and just upload it to a trending gallery. comments telling uploaders that an image isn’t relevant to the gallery or has already been posted will often be ignored or receive animosity, though there are some users that realize their mistakes.

As for new mods… I really don’t know anyone well enough that isn’t already a mod that I know I can trust. If there was a better way to flag large amounts of images for deletion/ moving galleries I would think the existing ones could do it.

Mar 18, 2014 at 11:45PM EDT
Quote

Gaben as an Entry Mod is the only nomination I can give at the moment. We have 4 active forum-regular mods, and everyone suggested in the “Rate Mod” thread by the Cute Master can and will let their personal biases and/or aggression issues get in the way of their ability to moderate correctly.

But yeah, we need more image mods. I’d say get some data back from the scrapbooker activity and pull a half dozen from those.

Mar 19, 2014 at 12:38AM EDT
Quote

MScratch as an entry mod.


@media mods and galleries

IMO a report button/system would be more efficient than adding more media mods.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against the idea, I just think that adding media mods is not going to solve the main problem: what users consider relevant and what not.

I’m sure that most of the users ignore the original idea behind KYM; documentation. We should start from there to the top of the problem.

Anyway, that’s what I think. Maybe the real problem is somewhere else and I’m ignoring it.

Also, our current media mods ¿do they know about what is happening with the galleries? ¿Are they interested in helping? ¿What’s their opinion on the subject?

I’m curious about them.

Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 10:03AM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 09:14AM EDT
Quote

I think the mine reason for image misuse is that these galleries like Tumblr, Reaction faces, and Video game logic get a lot of views so their uploading loads of images into these galleries just for comments and upvotes.

Mar 19, 2014 at 11:19AM EDT
Quote

Loli wrote:

MScratch as an entry mod.

That’s definitely something I can get on board with. MScratch is very organized, is a hard worker, and has lots of solid editorships.


Natsuru wrote:

I’d say get some data back from the scrapbooker activity and pull a half dozen from those.

I might be putting a little too much confidence into this, but I feel like I might be chosen to be an image mod if we use that criteria. Probably not, but still, I think we need a more refined way to pick them. I kind of mixed on whether we need more image mods or just a report button, but I think image mods is a better way to handle this.

I feel like a report button would be abused too easily. The reason Yahoo Answers is such a shithole is because of the report system. It’s too out of control. If as many as two people report your content on that site, your post is deleted. If it was set so reported things were automatically deleted after a certain amount of reports, I feel that this would cause too many problems and create abuse of the system. If we set it so that the reports had to be filtered through by the Staff and Database mods, and image mods, that would be work overload. This site doesn’t have enough people to do that. They have better things to do. A report button would be mostly ineffective. More image mods would be more effective. If it doesn’t work, it would be worth a try!


So, how should these image mods be chosen if they were to be implemented? (Again, this is just me rambling on about my opinion, I’m not certain that image mods is the definite solution. That’s up to the rest of you guys). I think checking Scrapbooker history is a pretty solid idea, but it should be backed up by something else. Maybe suggestions from this thread?

Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 07:49PM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 07:48PM EDT
Quote

@The Biggest Boss
Well, I’m not really one to judge, but it seems like Deltamelon, Jacob, Loli, and yourself have done the most work for the image galleries recently. As for how the mods are chosen, Natsuru’s idea seems like the best.

Mar 19, 2014 at 08:27PM EDT
Quote

Muffinlicious the Squiddle Fan wrote:

@The Biggest Boss
Well, I’m not really one to judge, but it seems like Deltamelon, Jacob, Loli, and yourself have done the most work for the image galleries recently. As for how the mods are chosen, Natsuru’s idea seems like the best.

I kind of have to agree. I know that us four are some of the most active in fixing image galleries.

Thanks Muffinlicious! It means a lot that you think I would be a good image mod. So guys, what’s the consensus, image mods since a large portion of the existing are either dead or not helping to much, or a report button? (Sorry to those of you image mods reading this if you actually do stuff.)

I also think KFC might be a good image mod. He posts lots of images, but unlike Lez, he tags his stuff, makes it relevant to the section, and has helped on many occasions before to improve “broken” image galleries.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:41PM EDT
Quote

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Are we still making suggestions? Or are you guys downright deciding who should be mods?

Last edited Mar 19, 2014 at 11:12PM EDT
Mar 19, 2014 at 11:12PM EDT
Quote

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

Are we still making suggestions? Or are you guys downright deciding who should be mods?

Just suggestions. We don’t have the power to decide these things anyways. Heck, we don’t even know if new mods are even necessary. There’s just a lot of speculation and suggesting. What do you think Bob?

Mar 20, 2014 at 12:11AM EDT
Quote

Sam wrote:

Just suggestions. We don’t have the power to decide these things anyways. Heck, we don’t even know if new mods are even necessary. There’s just a lot of speculation and suggesting. What do you think Bob?

Well, the tone pretty much already implies these guys should be and therefore will be mods under no second opinions. While I can tell you here and now that I’m not agreeing with all of these suggestions.

Not to forget you’re pretty much already granting yourself a mod Oscar for media. I for example don’t see you as mod material yet. I’ll leave aside posting my own list for the time being.


Loli wrote:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against the idea, I just think that adding media mods is not going to solve the main problem: what users consider relevant and what not.

But by that logic, isn’t adding a report button exactly removing that free speech that guides users into uploading relevant content? Instead of notifying people, you just click report, the image (possibly) gets removed, and the uploader can still be in the dark as to why it was removed. It only fixes the consequences, but leaves alone most of the source.

But let’s leave that discussion for a seperate thread, we’re deviating from the main topic.

Mar 20, 2014 at 05:22AM EDT
Quote

I can understand why a thread like this would be useful, when we do get to introducing a new batch of mods, it would be nice to get some user suggestions for the record. And if there are some we disagree with, we can just explain why they aren’t a good choice. If there is a good suggestion that we didn’t think of though, then it could really be helpful. Be warned however, that we can see straight through self promotion, so none of that. All suggestions will still have to go through us and the admins when it does happen.

Mar 20, 2014 at 07:56AM EDT
Quote

Sorry if I seem too self assured. I also don’t think I’m ready now, but it’s a small possibility out of many.

Mar 20, 2014 at 09:09AM EDT
Quote

I’ve been trying my best to get recognition as someone who would make a good image moderator. I don’t know if I’m exactly at that point though. After learning that good image moderators need to provide their image uploads with good tags and sources, I’ve started doing that to images I upload to entries. Also ever getting Scrapbooker power (even though my title doesn’t say that) I have been going into other images and putting in tags that would belong there and getting rid of tags that aren’t necessary. The main reason I would like image moderator status is so I could get rid of reposts that I keep coming across in galleries I view, such as all those Morbid Patrick images that Ploopy Droop keeps spamming in the Ruined Childhood gallery.

Mar 20, 2014 at 02:04PM EDT
Quote

Adam DeLand wrote:

I’ve been trying my best to get recognition as someone who would make a good image moderator. I don’t know if I’m exactly at that point though. After learning that good image moderators need to provide their image uploads with good tags and sources, I’ve started doing that to images I upload to entries. Also ever getting Scrapbooker power (even though my title doesn’t say that) I have been going into other images and putting in tags that would belong there and getting rid of tags that aren’t necessary. The main reason I would like image moderator status is so I could get rid of reposts that I keep coming across in galleries I view, such as all those Morbid Patrick images that Ploopy Droop keeps spamming in the Ruined Childhood gallery.

So basically you’ve just said you want to be an image mod because you deserve it. That is self promotion at it’s most blatant, there isn’t even any shame there, right after I just said don’t self promote. We aren’t going to pick you if you just ask us for it. This thread is for suggesting other users who deserve it for their hard work, not the “I want mod powers” thread.

Last edited Mar 20, 2014 at 03:50PM EDT
Mar 20, 2014 at 03:49PM EDT
Quote

Random21 wrote:

So basically you’ve just said you want to be an image mod because you deserve it. That is self promotion at it’s most blatant, there isn’t even any shame there, right after I just said don’t self promote. We aren’t going to pick you if you just ask us for it. This thread is for suggesting other users who deserve it for their hard work, not the “I want mod powers” thread.

I was just throwing what I did out there. I know for certain I won’t get the status because I’m a biased user.

Mar 20, 2014 at 05:30PM EDT
Quote

Random21 wrote:

So basically you’ve just said you want to be an image mod because you deserve it. That is self promotion at it’s most blatant, there isn’t even any shame there, right after I just said don’t self promote. We aren’t going to pick you if you just ask us for it. This thread is for suggesting other users who deserve it for their hard work, not the “I want mod powers” thread.

Very true. Advertising yourself doesn’t really count as valid input. If you think you deserve to be a mod, big whoop, nobody cares! If other people have seen more potential, the chances grow as more and more reliable people think you are mod material.


Adam DeLand wrote:

I was just throwing what I did out there. I know for certain I won’t get the status because I’m a biased user.

Wow! That’s surprisingly honest. At first I thought you were a huge dick, but the fact that you admit being biased is a good thing. Don’t worry, you can improve if you try. If I can do it, anyone can!

Mar 20, 2014 at 06:01PM EDT
Quote

I don’t think users should be immediately put onto the “Never Mod Blacklist” for actually being open about working towards the privilege. There is a good TON of negative backlash for just that aspect.

If the person is being a forceful dick about it, then yeah shoot them down. But otherwise it would be better to advise them on what they need to change about themselves in order to become moderator material.

And yes, I know you guys have a Never Mod Blacklist. I can see into your schemes! You cock-teasing sons of bitches!!
Mar 20, 2014 at 06:03PM EDT
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I don’t think users should be immediately put onto the “Never Mod Blacklist” for actually being open about working towards the privilege. There is a good TON of negative backlash for just that aspect.

If the person is being a forceful dick about it, then yeah shoot them down. But otherwise it would be better to advise them on what they need to change about themselves in order to become moderator material.

And yes, I know you guys have a Never Mod Blacklist. I can see into your schemes! You cock-teasing sons of bitches!!

Of course they aren’t added to some list because of that, because it’s good to strive towards a greater goal and the motivation they get from the hope of receiving mod certainly helps the site.

It’s more 2 issues that come along with that aim for modhood:

  1. Becoming a mod through their contributions is their goal, it’s why they contribute. So what when we give them mod? Will they continue contributing or lose the motivation now that the goal is reached? They no longer have something to strive for. A bit too many mods suddenly got inactive when they becames mods, and it’s rather a waste of the position. Most of our good and active mods are ones that didn’t saw it coming or never really aimed for it.
  2. Modesty is also a factor that devines a good mod. Sure, we’re mods, but we’re not gods. Respect the users and their opinion, and of course avoid power abuse. A user with high bias towards himself can end up ignoring users under the reason of “I’m a mod and you’re not, so your argument is invalid”. We rather avoid users that risk getting a God Complex should they receive modhood.

That said, like you said as well: If they can improve, nothing is impossible. We can guide you into becoming a better contributor, and will surely remember to kick forceful dicks down, but you’re always free to dream.

Angrily writes Nats’ name in the Death Note Mod Blacklist (In reality though, you have the characteristics of a good Forum Mod on the levels like Blue)
Mar 20, 2014 at 06:44PM EDT
Quote

@RandomMan

You actually make a good point. Natsuru would make an excellent forum mod. There are already more than enough, but if necessary, Natsie (;D) would be a good choice for the next gen.

Mar 20, 2014 at 07:42PM EDT
Quote

We really need a mod who can focus on getting rid of the advertisement threads. Those things bother me, and take up space, generally looking ugly when seeing them. Maybe grant someone with the ability who can just delete/edit posts. I know this is an idea that isn’t the brightest out there, but it would deal with the spam.

I suggest something like a scrapbooker, but with a higher requirement, like 6000 Forum Posts, by then a person would be well aware of what goes on in the forums, and would be able to be a good judge of content.

Mar 21, 2014 at 06:14AM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

Of course they aren’t added to some list because of that, because it’s good to strive towards a greater goal and the motivation they get from the hope of receiving mod certainly helps the site.

It’s more 2 issues that come along with that aim for modhood:

  1. Becoming a mod through their contributions is their goal, it’s why they contribute. So what when we give them mod? Will they continue contributing or lose the motivation now that the goal is reached? They no longer have something to strive for. A bit too many mods suddenly got inactive when they becames mods, and it’s rather a waste of the position. Most of our good and active mods are ones that didn’t saw it coming or never really aimed for it.
  2. Modesty is also a factor that devines a good mod. Sure, we’re mods, but we’re not gods. Respect the users and their opinion, and of course avoid power abuse. A user with high bias towards himself can end up ignoring users under the reason of “I’m a mod and you’re not, so your argument is invalid”. We rather avoid users that risk getting a God Complex should they receive modhood.

That said, like you said as well: If they can improve, nothing is impossible. We can guide you into becoming a better contributor, and will surely remember to kick forceful dicks down, but you’re always free to dream.

Angrily writes Nats’ name in the Death Note Mod Blacklist (In reality though, you have the characteristics of a good Forum Mod on the levels like Blue)

dies of a fatal heart attack just 40 seconds after RandomMan’s post

True on both accounts. If memory serves correctly the only mod I can name who actually said he was going to shoot for mod, did become mod, and remained active for quite a long time afterwards was Teh Brawler. And most of us knows what he is like to hang around.

I think the most self-destructive part of the moderatorship goal is that is pretty much is a very well defined end-goal. Sure, there are multiple tiers of mods and badges to go collect, but to the average user, getting a moderatorship is pretty much end game.

Fixing it… no, not really a way to fix it without an upheaval of societal order. It’s just the way it is, and it can’t be fixed. You just mod the people who have multiple reasons for being attached to the site (not users reaping their popularity and are gluttons for more, but rather users who just have strong roots in the site and won’t easily budge from it on top of the other criteria needed for modship. If their roots are strong it doesn’t matter if they have directly worked for it or not) and you have bypassed the “end goal” problem.


And I am flattered you have changed your mind about that. I think it was you who said I would have been too laid back to have been a mod around a year or two ago. (Or was it Bob who called me that and you saying I was exactly like Yuri Lowell because of that? Seriously it’s been awhile.)


@Ann:

The main issue with that is none of the Forum Mod functions could be applied in a way that was not destructive or could be used against other users.

Last edited Mar 21, 2014 at 06:54AM EDT
Mar 21, 2014 at 06:52AM EDT
Quote

Ann Hiro wrote:

We really need a mod who can focus on getting rid of the advertisement threads. Those things bother me, and take up space, generally looking ugly when seeing them. Maybe grant someone with the ability who can just delete/edit posts. I know this is an idea that isn’t the brightest out there, but it would deal with the spam.

I suggest something like a scrapbooker, but with a higher requirement, like 6000 Forum Posts, by then a person would be well aware of what goes on in the forums, and would be able to be a good judge of content.

We already have those, they’re called Forum mods. And I don’t really trust everyone here enough to make editing and deleting any post an auto-granted power. Spam threads are usually gone within 2-3 hours if not less, so I don’t think they’ll do much damage.

Also why 6,000 posts to fit with that description? Odd number.
Looks at your profile
>6,300 forum posts.
…That explains.


Nats wrote:

And I am flattered you have changed your mind about that. I think it was you who said I would have been too laid back to have been a mod around a year or two ago. (Or was it Bob who called me that and you saying I was exactly like Yuri Lowell because of that? Seriously it’s been awhile.)

Your memory serves you correct, that was me. I can elaborate if you wish, but please request that by PM or wallpost instead of through here. I rather avoid making this thread about the mod potentional of a single user.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:44PM EDT
Quote

@RandomMan
It never hurts to try making a suggestion. It just bothers me every time I see spam threads, and the 2-3 hours personally is kinda a slow response in my opinion.

Last edited Mar 21, 2014 at 10:05PM EDT
Mar 21, 2014 at 10:05PM EDT
Quote
And yes, I know you guys have a Never Mod Blacklist.

How do you know about that?

Mar 21, 2014 at 10:24PM EDT
Quote

@Bob
We have a special sense to know when you guys put us there.

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:29PM EDT
Quote

HolyCrapItsBob wrote:

And yes, I know you guys have a Never Mod Blacklist.

How do you know about that?

I saw it when I glitched into James Account.

Duh. Why else would anyone else know about it? I also saw a Ban/Unban log of Jostin taking out his sexual frusterations on a random bystander.

[User was m̰̩̥̻̞̝o͍̬̱̭d҉̞ ̣̱̗̲̞͙͙b͎̫̲l̹̱̱̤͡a̸c̢̬͉̫̺k̩̻̫l̻i̢s҉̲̟̝̩͕̣te̲̣d for this post]

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 12:53AM EDT
Mar 22, 2014 at 12:39AM EDT
Quote

Ann Hiro wrote:

@RandomMan
It never hurts to try making a suggestion. It just bothers me every time I see spam threads, and the 2-3 hours personally is kinda a slow response in my opinion.

Personally, I sleep at least 6 hours a day (usually 8), and I’m on my way to work, working, or am on my way back from work for another 11.

So there’s an 5-hour period where I have free time to be on KYM or to do any one of various other things, such as get groceries, hang out with friends, go out, etc. I think most moderators generally have that sort of time. I think 2-3 hours is really good, and the ones I end up deleting myself usually aren’t up for more than an hour.

Mar 22, 2014 at 01:02AM EDT

So guys, anyone else think Ann might be a good forum mod in the future if necessary as well? Because I do. He’s been here a long time, contributes a whole lot, and is pretty organized and knows the forums like the back of his hand.
/blatantasskissing


I’m actually pretty serious though. Natsuru and Ann are both two possibilities, or at least from what I’ve seen of them. Maybe I don’t know they’re dark sides or something, but I can tell they wouldn’t screw up.

So, mods, who are some people you guys have your eyes on? You’ve let us babble on and on about our choices that mean mostly nothing, but I want to hear what you guys have to say about this. RandomMan says he has his eyes on Natsuru, but that’s all I got.

Mar 22, 2014 at 01:07AM EDT
Quote

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

I saw it when I glitched into James Account.

Duh. Why else would anyone else know about it? I also saw a Ban/Unban log of Jostin taking out his sexual frusterations on a random bystander.

[User was m̰̩̥̻̞̝o͍̬̱̭d҉̞ ̣̱̗̲̞͙͙b͎̫̲l̹̱̱̤͡a̸c̢̬͉̫̺k̩̻̫l̻i̢s҉̲̟̝̩͕̣te̲̣d for this post]

Wait what? Something like that happened?

Dude… that is a serious level of power abuse, and shouldn’t have ever been allowed to go unnoticed. But this is a very past case from what I can assume, so unfortunately we can’t fix it anymore at this point.


Verbose wrote:

So there’s an 5-hour period where I have free time to be on KYM or to do any one of various other things, such as get groceries, hang out with friends, go out, etc. I think most moderators generally have that sort of time. I think 2-3 hours is really good, and the ones I end up deleting myself usually aren’t up for more than an hour.

Elaborating on that, they used to be up longer at certain times of the day. Reason for this was that Cyber6x was the only mod with the correct timezone to ban them, and he wasn’t always active, resulting in those threads staying up while all of us were either asleep or at College.

It was a reason VanManner and Blue Screen received ban powers before they were “officially” upgraded to their Sr. functions, because they were both active during those periods and both were commonly reporting and dealing with spambots.

So yeah, 2-3 hours is really good imo.

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 03:15PM EDT
Mar 22, 2014 at 03:14PM EDT
Quote

@RandomMan:

Everything but the events detailed past the hyper link was a joke. The ban/unban log wasn’t visible on the Admin Bar at the time. Though from the more recent screenshots I don’t think it has changed all that much.

There was a few users I thought I would try out banning, but it was against my better judgement.

Last edited Mar 22, 2014 at 09:17PM EDT
Mar 22, 2014 at 09:13PM EDT
Quote

I also think Jacob might make a pretty cool mod. He tags regularly and is always active on Meme Research and site-related and knows how to get things done.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:05PM EDT
Quote

Sam wrote:

I also think Jacob might make a pretty cool mod. He tags regularly and is always active on Meme Research and site-related and knows how to get things done.

I have to agree, but for a different reason. It looks like Jacob (and Loli, for that matter) are always having to go to the image cleanup thread to tell media mods to move/remove images, and it seems like it would spare them a lot if they could just do it themselves.
Not saying that Jacob wouldn’t make a cool image mod, though.

Last edited Mar 24, 2014 at 01:22AM EDT
Mar 24, 2014 at 01:09AM EDT
Quote

Muffinlicious the Squiddle Fan wrote:

I have to agree, but for a different reason. It looks like Jacob (and Loli, for that matter) are always having to go to the image cleanup thread to tell media mods to move/remove images, and it seems like it would spare them a lot if they could just do it themselves.
Not saying that Jacob wouldn’t make a cool image mod, though.

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I was trying to say, but you worded it better. They both could get stuff done a lot quicker if they were given full moderation powers for images.

Mar 24, 2014 at 09:44PM EDT
Quote
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!