Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

4,172 total conversations in 255 threads

+ New Thread

Reposts: functional reposts and priority versus quality

Last posted May 26, 2014 at 10:42AM EDT. Added May 08, 2014 at 09:57AM EDT
5 posts from 3 users

I’m pretty sure everyone knows that reposts happen on KYM, as the repost detection system doesn’t work all the time. Generally, Mods have said that the principal of priority is to be employed when deciding which one to get rid of (the first one posted remains, others are gotten rid of). However, there are a few other issues I wanted to ask about.

Functional Reposts: This is when an image is technically different due to some reason (image dimensions, text font is different, other minor differences), but the function of the image is exactly the same.

Are this to be flagged as reposts?

This only goes when the image functionally exactly same, though.

Priority Versus Quality: Issue when there is a repost, but the first version is of noticeably lower quality, what should be done?

Compare this to this

Compare this to this

Compare this to this

Reporting question about reposts in general: What I’ve been doing for reposts is tagging them with reposted content as well as linking to the original in the notes section of the reposted image. I did this because I felt it would less messy than posting all the original images and reposts in the image cleaning thread. However, seeing as those images haven’t been dealt with after being posted more than a month ago. I’m assuming that it’s better to just post them in a more traditional manner of posting links to the original and the repost?

May 08, 2014 at 09:57AM EDT

Wouldn’t the second cat photo count as a “separate” image, given that there’s something present in that image (the owner petting the cat at the end) instead of being a complete duplicate of the image in a different resolution?

May 09, 2014 at 01:16AM EDT

Kung Fu Cthulhu wrote:

Wouldn’t the second cat photo count as a “separate” image, given that there’s something present in that image (the owner petting the cat at the end) instead of being a complete duplicate of the image in a different resolution?

That’s part of the reason I’m asking. The hand is different between the two images, but it doesn’t really make the two images differ significantly in what is being conveyed (kitten being slapped for wearing a fedora) and so there is very little functional uniqueness between the images.

May 09, 2014 at 07:10AM EDT

So, uh, is there a particular reason that I haven’t gotten a mod response back on anything brought up in the thread? If it’s just because everyone is busy, that’s fine, but it has been almost two weeks.

Also, while I’m at it, I wanted to ask about another kind of repost. What is the priority when an image is uploaded to the site twice, but the second time the image is uploaded is by the actual author of the image?

The best example I can think of is Ochre Jelly who has made various different LEGO M.O.C.s based off of things we have entries for. A few of his images have already been posted on the site (I myself have uploaded a few of his as well). While nothing I’ve uploaded overlaps with what they uploaded, there is this image which was posted and frontpagged a while back which Ochre Jelly reposted

Obviously, It is hard to prove that you are actually the person you claim to be online, but which image would take priority in cases like this?

May 20, 2014 at 05:00PM EDT

Priority Versus Quality: Issue when there is a repost, but the first version is of noticeably lower quality, what should be done?
Compare this to this
Compare this to this
Compare this to this

Well, those are simple. Even though the crappy versions were first, they’re just beyond crappy when you finally see the better upload. I also tend to look at the favorites and stuff a bit. All those crappy images had no favorites, whereas the quality uploads did, so it wasn’t like anyone was going to use them.

Are the newer uploads a duplicate? Yes, but their quality gives them a higher priority making it so the original can get removed. The fact that it became crappy is commonly because it was already a repost that was uploaded, and not the original creation in its full quality.

Functional Reposts: This is when an image is technically different due to some reason (image dimensions, text font is different, other minor differences), but the function of the image is exactly the same.

Gonna be honest here, no idea what’s best to do.

I’m assuming that it’s better to just post them in a more traditional manner of posting links to the original and the repost?

Report in a way that works best for you. But mods also tend to be lazy at times. Not the best rolemodel we’re being there, but we’re still humans in the end.

Last edited May 26, 2014 at 10:43AM EDT
May 26, 2014 at 10:42AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!