Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Getting a better handle on image tagging.

Last posted Jun 12, 2014 at 06:33PM EDT. Added May 22, 2014 at 01:36AM EDT
18 posts from 10 users

If you have Scrapbooking privileges and are a regular contributor to this website, there should be one problem that's hanging over your shoulder – the massive amounts of untagged images that appear upon accessing the administrative panel. As it stands, there are over 175,000 images within the database that are without tags, and as Deltamelon once described tagging the Reaction Faces Image Gallery, "the longer we wait the worse it's going to get".

Because these tags aren't in place, a lot of content is unwittingly reposted, or is at least that much more difficult to find. Some of us have attempted to alleviate the problem on our own, but given the frequency that images are added to the tagging queue, this effort is often undone in a matter of days. For this noticeable problem, I have a modest proposal. We work together. Recently, some users have come to address this issue humorously – however, I think that more serious action needs to be taken.

Today, in the span of two hours, I was able to tag a little over 200 images by myself. Now, think of how much more could be accomplished if there were several of us working toward that goal – even if it were for only half or a quarter of that time. I propose that Scrapbookers take at least five to ten minutes out of each browsing session on this site in order to add tags to images. Longer tagging sessions are to be encouraged, but make sure that it's reasonable. More work will get done toward tackling this problem if a group of us take this a piece at a time.

Some general guidelines:

The primary focus should obviously be on images that have 5 or more upvotes or upwards of 1,000 views (which are subsequently added to the tagging queue), but tagging tagless images is something that could save us work somewhere down the line.

Be as thorough as possible in tagging each images as you can – list as many Memes, characters, or descriptive notations as possible (and that are relevant) to each image. If you aren't sure what to tag an individual post, just tag the title of the Image Gallery that it's in.

Finally, and I would also like to put emphasis on this – if you add new photos to the database, tag them immediately. Don't make more work for yourself or anyone else here.

With that, I call upon my fellow Scrapbookers to consider my words and work towards making the site a better place. Any discussion is welcome, as are revision to the makeshift guidelines in place.

Last edited May 22, 2014 at 01:40AM EDT

I'm glad someone finally made a thread to this issue. I've already tagged some images in this site but I will admit that there are images that I found that are and still tag less mainly because I don't know what series and characters the image is showing (yeah you can say it's a dumb reason for not tagging but when I find these sort of images I'm usually to tired to look for the source).

I was actually thinking of making a guide of KYM metadata about how to source and tag wisely, but seeing as I'm just a Conversationalist and not an expert, just someone who wants to see it done, I'm not certain if I'm the one who should do it.

One thing to note is that tags like "Anime", "Reaction Faces", and "GIF", while often not fully Irrelevant, don't really narrow down search results, so these should be lower priority tags. Not that you should never use these tags, but there's been a few times when tags like these are the only tags an image will have, which is only marginally more useful than no tags at all. Which anime and what kind of reaction are much more useful in this regard.

Jill wrote:

I was actually thinking of making a guide of KYM metadata about how to source and tag wisely, but seeing as I'm just a Conversationalist and not an expert, just someone who wants to see it done, I'm not certain if I'm the one who should do it.

One thing to note is that tags like "Anime", "Reaction Faces", and "GIF", while often not fully Irrelevant, don't really narrow down search results, so these should be lower priority tags. Not that you should never use these tags, but there's been a few times when tags like these are the only tags an image will have, which is only marginally more useful than no tags at all. Which anime and what kind of reaction are much more useful in this regard.

I'll admit that for entries like those just simply putting "Anime" or Reaction Face" in the tags is about as useful as no tags but for some entries that can be manageable like the Creepypasta entry, granted I like to put more tags to my creepypasta images then just the name of the entry (though a few of my images just simply have the name of the entry due to the fact that I just got lazy). Since we have a good method for Reaction Face and with Anime all you have to do with it is tag the name of said anime what is it that we do with GIFS?

Probably tag GIFs with whatever the source material is (what show/ movie/ video game for example) as well as any know characters present. GIFs that aren't from those it would be better to try and tag with whatever is present in the image. Of course, that means a lot of gifs that are basically just cats, but in other cases, doing this could be useful.

MIMU wrote:

Count me in!

…Except I don't have scrapbooking privileges, so I can't. .-.

It takes 100 images to become a scrapbooker, so you just need 80 more images, and you're ready to start taggin.
If it's any help, I find most of my images on sites like imgur, deviantart, and tumblr.

Last edited May 22, 2014 at 11:34AM EDT

Things don't seem to be getting worse as of recently, but something else came to my attention – image titling. I can get why tagging's important (as that's part of the reason I made this thread), but I don't get what the importance of titling is. Anyone want to clear this up?

Kung Fu Cthulhu wrote:

Things don't seem to be getting worse as of recently, but something else came to my attention – image titling. I can get why tagging's important (as that's part of the reason I made this thread), but I don't get what the importance of titling is. Anyone want to clear this up?

I know mona_jpn tries to title images the same as the creator of an image, as a way to acknowledge the creator (of course, he is one of the best people when it comes to sourcing images as well.) I've tried to follow suit, titling images with the original title given to it by the artist when it's relevant.

Tags are good for something that there are likely to be multiple iterations of (the what source material is, the meme(s) present, characters and what not). For something like a Reaction Face with text, or something else that is text based, titles can be used to put text in the image that there is likely not going to be multiple iterations of, but still are possible to find the image with a search. Example

This can also be done in the notes section, though this can sometimes be missed by the viewer, due to its small size and being off to the side. It still is searchable, though. Example

This can also be useful if trying to refind an image when all you remember is the text present, or when tags don't really narrow things down much.

Some time ago, I worked really hard on trying to tag every image in the Katawa Shoujo gallery. (I don't know if I got them all.) I think it's probably a good idea to choose a gallery that has images you're familiar with and work your way through them.

One thing that was always a pain for me though was trying to find untagged images; does anyone have a method for tracking these down that I've missed, or is everyone just using the tool in the admin area that gives you one at a time?

I used to work really hard on tagging and did it for at least an hour a day tagging hundreds of images, but it was so tedious, time-consuming, and downright hopeless that I mostly gave up on tagging all together. Thanks for this thread. I'll try to get back into it again, if not for small periods at a time now that I know there are more people doing this instead of just little ol' me.

Brucker wrote:

Some time ago, I worked really hard on trying to tag every image in the Katawa Shoujo gallery. (I don't know if I got them all.) I think it's probably a good idea to choose a gallery that has images you're familiar with and work your way through them.

One thing that was always a pain for me though was trying to find untagged images; does anyone have a method for tracking these down that I've missed, or is everyone just using the tool in the admin area that gives you one at a time?

I can send a list of users that are still frequently uploading that never tag any of their images.

I often reload the all images gallery and look to see what has been posted recently, and check it for tags and good tags. I will say, I have a mental list of few users that I no longer bother to check if their images have tags because they always use them. Unfortunately, I have a mental list for the opposite as well…

Entries that are really old often don't have images in the gallery that have tags. I know when I went through Galleries for Bad Dudes and "It's Machine Code" uploads older than 2 years (most of them)
had no tags at all.

Working on galleries can be good as well, especially if you are already knowledgeable or plan to Git Gud. I worked on most of Kantai Collection (though, when you uploaded 85% of the images yourself, it's really easy).

Last edited Jun 11, 2014 at 02:01AM EDT

Jacob wrote:

I can send a list of users that are still frequently uploading that never tag any of their images.

Are going to send a list with the whole userbase? Good luck with that.

uploads older than 2 years (most of them) had no tags at all.

Yeah, if you take a look into the "Fistful of Yen" gallery you can see that most of the images are from two years ago and there isn't one single tag in them.

Brucker wrote:

I think it’s probably a good idea to choose a gallery that has images you’re familiar with and work your way through them.

That's what I did with the gallery of "Ryuko Matoi Bikini Edit". It was a hell though.

But yeah, choose a gallery (I recommend starting with small ones) and try to add a huge bunch of helpful tags, and not shit tags like "lol wtf" or "I like turtles". Is more fast than adding tags to random pictures you find when you lurk on the site.

Also, try to use the "reaction:x" tags outside the Reaction Faces gallery, there are a lot of reaction faces that have their own entry and it would be good to have them included in the "reaction" tag list.

Ah! I finally remembered the trick I used that sort of works.

I have always worked under the assumption that a photo should be tagged with the name of its gallery. If you do an image search on

tags:("katawa shoujo")

you get images that have that tag, and not just all images from the gallery. So, if you do a search on

katawa shoujo AND NOT tags:("katawa shoujo")

it will give you images that are in the Katawa Shoujo gallery that don't have the "Katawa Shoujo" tag. If they don't have that tag, they're probably either badly tagged or not tagged at all. This could be a good method to work through a specific gallery.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!