Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Last posted Dec 18, 2009 at 08:57PM EST. Added Dec 18, 2009 at 03:34PM EST
22 posts from 10 users

So, spamming in a thread can be annoying. Jamie and Greg are hard at work writing bug fixes and working on developing new features of the site (as they are most days) and we've got one thing that could help cut down on spam and be really easy to implement.

Posting speed limits. After you post in a thread, you would have to wait a certain amount of time before posting in that thread again. We're thinking one or two minutes. This won't effect the ability to edit your own posts.

But before we make that kind of a change, we want to hear your opinions on the idea.

Hell yeah, I'm 100% in favor of that kind of thing !
I'm also wondering if a system of a private message sent to an admin when someone tries too much to spam something can exist.

i know its the or else part im worried about,
i was also thinking Warning bans Banned for a few days repeatedly warned then banned permanently

@Jostin,
From the sounds of it, yes, you will still have to wait one minute before posting, so others might reply before you.

@tomberry,

Right now, you can send private messages to any user. If you go to my profile and click "contact user" I'll get a message in my inbox, but it won't show up on my wall. If anybody has any issues, I encourage you to send me a message.

We're also working on a Karma system, so users can deal out positive or negative feedback to other users based on their posts. When the Karma gets HORRIBLY low, it's a community-voted auto-ban.

Chris, Ok, but I'm not really in favor of delation, even anonymously.
I was thinking about an automatic warning or something like that.

But yeah, there will be the karma so, we just have to wait for it.

I'm not in favor of an auto-ban. But a review by the site's admins/mods would be okay.
The karma system, in particular, depends entirely on its execution. For example, if you allow the privilege to all users, the trolls will be able to make multiple accounts to give a user negative karma until that user gets auto-banned.
I propose the karma system gets limited to Researchers, mods, and admins. This would add raid protection, troll defense, and still would not impede on the new user's ability to add a meme entry, post to the discussions board, or edit their posts.
After a certain user get a certain amount of negative karma, they are reviewed by the site mods/admins. If they actually deserved the negative karma, they'll get the ban, but if the negative karma was undeserved, it gets reset to its previous value. This adds protection against the quarreling that often arises between users.

As for the flood filter, I say go for it. It'll help cut down on the number of useless posts we get while not impeding a user's ability to participate in organized discussion.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!