Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

My idea for fixing the image problem.

Last posted Sep 15, 2014 at 10:35PM EDT. Added Sep 11, 2014 at 04:13AM EDT
6 posts from 5 users

So it's no secret people posting images in the wrong gallery has been a major problem on the site. After all it was one of the primary causes why three of my favorite galleries are now locked. However "wrong gallery" isn't always as straightforward as some might think. Take this image for example:

What gallery do you think it belongs in? Some might say Kill la Kill. Others might say Expand Dong. And others still might say Edgy. So who is right? And the answer is you all are. But this image can only be in one gallery and that it the problem. So how would one fix this? Well the only way we can now is to upload the image multiple times into each gallery. But that's not really fixing anything. For starters now the site is hosting duplicates of the same image which is stupid. But more importantly the people viewing the images aren't interacting with each other. Each instant of the image has its own likes, favorites, views, and comments. And those are the main appeal of uploading images; getting likes (or hate), views, and causing discussion in the comments. But if there are more than one instant of an image all of that get split amongst them. "One" image can be liked and favorited by the same person and the comments get broken up.

So how can this get fixed? Well here's my idea: allow one image to be in multiple galleries. So the image above would be in Kill la Kill, Expand Dong and, Edgy all at the same time. No matter which gallery a user found the image they would be lead to the same image.

Now if this is such a simple idea so why don't we already have it in place? I don't know, but I can guess. My prediction why is because it would be hard. First it might be hard because of the code of the site. I'm no web coder so I don't know or understand how it works but I could imagine that because images are such a critical part of the site doing a major code change like this could require a possible complete rewrite of the whole site's code. Like I said I'm no coder I don't know. But even if the coding of a system like this was easy there would still be a lot of work. Namely bringing all 760,000+ images already on the site into this new system. Sorting all of them, deleting duplicates, and adding all multi entry images into all applicable entries would be a momentous task.

And that's the question I'm asking any and all that see this. Is such a huge change worth it? Is it worth the possible months or even years of work to bring this kind of system in place on the site? Is this even a good idea? (After all I'm just one guy after all, what do I know?) Well here is what I do know; there needs to be some kind of fix with the image uploading system. Otherwise we're going to keep seeing unhappy users and unhappy mods.

tl;dr One image should be able to be in multiple galleries at the same time.

This is an old idea, brought up various times in the past. Most of the times the idea just died down. I don't know what trouble it would be to code this. James never really answered that.

In the past I think we just jumped to the conclusion that it would be troublesome to code in order to get people to shut the hell up about it before. A lot of ideas where being thrown around at the time and people where just getting tired of them. n_n;;;

Though… with just minimal knowledge about the subject of coding and stuff, it might not be that hard to do. Since the database uses a tagging system to sort images into the correct galleries, it might be possible to adjust the code to allow multiple entry tags per image.

The only problem I can think of that will spawn from this is that the gallery cleanup would be an outright NIGHTMARE. Since we would have to sweep the ENTIRE image database.

Last edited Sep 11, 2014 at 07:04PM EDT

The only problem I can think of that will spawn from this is that the gallery cleanup would be an outright NIGHTMARE. Since we would have to sweep the ENTIRE image database.

• Image remove buttons:
    1. "Remove image from this gallery"
    2. "Remove image from all galleries"

Just an idea.

Last edited Sep 11, 2014 at 07:23PM EDT

Sounds like a good idea (although too much of a hassle), but one thing I do not really get.
Why is it a big deal you can't upload them to all three or whatever galleries.

If you have for example the image above, you aren't trying to contribute to research of the entry (Kill la Kill, Expand Dong and Edgy all have enough examples and are well-known enough), you just want to post a funny image. Just pick one, then.

I don't see the point. More views/upvotes? That's a pretty petty reason. Just pick one, I'd say.

Amanda and Don used to say that "The more uploads the better". This was in response to the pony entry becoming the main upload of pics on KYM and having other Pony entries other than the main entry. Duplicates uploads in a single entry where somewhat a concern but not enough to really cause a problem at the time and duplicates in two separate entries was ok at the time. So why all of a sudden we get new mods and it becomes not only a concern but it has become a problem. I would think that dupes in an individual entry would be more of a concern especially in entries with a lot of pics uploaded in it. I have seen Macros I made uploaded here by n00bs when I already uploaded it 2 years ago. I try to think this way if it isn't OC and I know it isn't new, than it's probably already been uploaded. In galleries that don't have that many images, I scroll through to see if it's there.

Last edited Sep 15, 2014 at 10:36PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!