Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Add Links to Specific Forum Posts

Last posted Jan 17, 2015 at 10:52AM EST. Added Jan 15, 2015 at 09:09PM EST
3 posts from 2 users

Right now, when you search through the forums on KYM, the results will direct you to the individual post that matches your query, rather than just the page that contains that post. This is possible because, in the HTML, each post is represented by an article element with an id attribute with a unique value for each forum post on the site.

However, people still share posts by sending each other links to an entire page and adding, "see my third post on that page," or, "look at Don's post." This is because there's no easy way for people to find out what URL would get them to a specific post.

My suggested solution is to do something similar to the way we can look at specific comments. Each comment has a time stamp that is wrapped in a link to that comment's page. The same thing could be done on the forums; the post's time stamp could be wrapped in <a href="#forum_post_x"> (where x is the post's ID number). This would make navigating the forums a bit easier, and wouldn't be very difficult to change.

Last edited Jan 15, 2015 at 09:12PM EST

Hey, thank you! One odd thing I noticed is that some links on the site use query strings to take you to the right page in a thread. From my profile's "Forum Posts" tab, the links direct me to https://knowyourmeme.com/forums/suggest-ideas/topics/31598-add-links-to-specific-forum-posts?page=1. However, these new links direct me to https://knowyourmeme.com/forums/suggest-ideas/topics/31598-add-links-to-specific-forum-posts/page/1, so clicking on these new links might cause browsers to reload the page. This isn't really a problem, but I just wanted to point it out.

Last edited Jan 17, 2015 at 10:53AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Howdy! You must login or signup first!