Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

6,920 total conversations in 569 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Suggestions

Last posted Jul 17, 2014 at 07:12PM EDT. Added Sep 05, 2010 at 05:43PM EDT
338 posts from 118 users

I'd really like it to say somewhere on our dashboard what entries we currently have editorship over and what ones we are currently requesting.

It would save me some time and it would remind me what needs to be worked on.

Also, for editors, let them have an individual marking that only the person who made the marking can see, to remind them to work on the article.

pool not closed, actually. Old threads auto-close after 30 days of inactivity. Let's pick it up from the previous thread!

https://knowyourmeme.com/forums/site-related/topics/3040-suggestions

Hey, I have been browsing this website for a year now, and have been keeping this idea to myself for a while, but now, I think it will be useful to suggest it:
-I have been noticing a lot of Meme in the "submission" section that never got confirmed, but is actually a meme
-The reason for non-confirm status can be due to some memes are only specificly applied for certain groups (gamer/ Anime fan/foreign country based/region specific/not controversy enough/etc)
-and even though they might not be widely spread enough, but they are, still in fact a "meme"
-So I think in order to add all those Meme to the confirm status, but without turning the confirm section into a hugemess, why don't we divided the confirm section with "Different tabs"
-In the confirm section, there can be different categories of Meme list as tab like Viral/Music/Multimedia/forum/etc… and in those categories tabs, there will be another sub-tab like Multimedia:Flash Video/movie/Explotables/video game/anime/etc…
-By dividing memes into different sections like that, more meme from the submission section can be confirmed, and it would be much more neater to find a meme that you don't happened to know the name, or looking for new meme from a specific categories…
So, what do you think?

Whoever is in charge of the design of the forum pages, I have a suggestion.
When I joined a week ago, I had no idea how to post pictures and such. Although there is the "What is Textile?" link by the text box, I (and apparently many others) thought it was confusing and took a tl;dr stance on it. So I googled around and found this much more clear and easy to understand version here. It clearly lists what to put before and after each object, the result in a browser, and even shows how to do it in html. I think it would be appreciated by all (especially the newbs) if someone could change the link to my suggestion.

2 suggestions:

First, is there any way we can get polls in this forum? There's been a few times that would be really useful.

Second, I think there needs to be a "Microtrend" confirmation, where submitted memes that aren't quite memes can at least be confirmed as notable. If they spread further, they can be upgraded to meme status.

Why can't you have signatures on KYM? I understand it would require more coding and moderation, but I think most people want to find out more about other users without clicking on their profile or opening another new tab in their already-cluttered tab bar. You could simply add a signature box underneath the "profile biography" text box, and whose content would be entered using the same textile markup language. Also to keep users happy that prefer the old format, a "hide signatures" checkbox could be in the "display options" category in the profile editing section. Each post could also include a "show/hide" button near the sig in a similar manner to the "quote" button for people that want to view exceptionally long sig's, and when not clicked, are restricted to a small bar just big enough to display about four lines of text. I think it could add a lot of personalization options to your KYM presence. I know people will think "but KYM is cluttered enough by the posts themselves" I say that it wouldn't make much of a difference. If you look above my post and at some of the one-line posts, you will see empty, unused space.

You could put a sig there people!!!!

I'll make a bet people would embed videos or put obnoxious images there within the week.

I, in fact, DO think that it would clutter our forums. That's one of the reasons I really like our forum layout, it is clutter-free, easy to read, and you can tell what each user is saying without some random quote or image that you sincerely couldn't care about.

Im not sure if there is a reason for this, but if you post on any page that is not the first it imeadiatly fowards you to the first page.

The post shouled foward you to the page your post is on, and to your post like what happens if you post on the first page.

@Signature Suggestion

Sounds like another way bronies would end up accidently spamming ponies everywhere. Yeah its ok if we contain ponies in a couple of designated thread, but if bronies put them in there sigs and post anywhere else, it will spread and hate will breed to the point where people will be suggesting to ban ponies from sigs or just removing sigs overall.

Least thats one of the many possible conclusions, but my sig armaggedon was more relevant to my interests.

since there is already a ‘most commented’ tab in the image section, why not to expand it further?
how about also making ‘most favorites’ and ‘most views’? it can act like a little hall of fame for the really cool picutres that the reseachers have found.
although i do see a problem that ‘most viewed’ picutres will stay there forever since people will see them all the time in the ‘most viewd’ section.
still i think it could be very neat and a convinient way to track down the great picutres
so whadaya think?

1. "Report comment" button.
2. Don't allow new users to submit memes.
3. Delete Textile as a formatting language (or, at least, make an option to not use it).

Nobody wrote:

1. "Report comment" button.
2. Don't allow new users to submit memes.
3. Delete Textile as a formatting language (or, at least, make an option to not use it).

If textile is messing up your post or memes then just use the html codes for the characters you are trying to use that are messing up. Textile makes things like hyper-linking and image posting so much easier.

1. Add "http://s7.addthis.com/" as an Ad Filter rule.
2. AJAX stopped working properly and you can give twice as many karma on forums.
I don't get it.

here are some suggestions:

1. "random" should only return confirmed memes
2. search results should be organized to confirmed, submissions and deadpool (or at least show only confirmed memes)

I'm tired of newfags that are asking where's the "Remove Image/Video" button. My suggestion is, move the button to the more apparent place, for example, to the sidebar.

I really would LOVE to see an article about ZuneChan on Knowyourmeme. She's my favorite Chan girl, like Boxxy, she causes a tremendous chaos on 4chan. I don't know her origins but I do have a lot of content of her.

Last edited Jul 28, 2011 at 10:51AM EDT

These three suggestions might be necessary:

• Allow Flipnotes from Flipnote Hatena to be posted.
  • Add one meme to two or more groups (e.g. Nichijou OP is part of both, Hyadain and Anime OP/ED Parodies)
  • Back-up important videos in case of their removal.
Last edited Aug 26, 2011 at 12:50AM EDT

Ashki wrote:

I have one. Why not let us reply from any page? Why does it have to be the last page, and if that's not possible, why not have the last page first instead of the first page?

I was going to suggest the same thing.

Ashki wrote:

I have one. Why not let us reply from any page? Why does it have to be the last page, and if that's not possible, why not have the last page first instead of the first page?

I would say the reason for this is that it encourages people to read the whole thread before replying. Yeah, it's not always necessary, but it's not like it's so hard to skip to the last page when you really want to.

You know how TVTropes has that "Laconic" feature for their Tropes? Well I think it'd be a good idea to add a Laconic option to some of the meme entries, so people can know straight forward what that meme is

Last edited Sep 03, 2011 at 11:44PM EDT

I would really appreciate the ability for editors in an entry to be allowed to remove images or videos from said entry in case there is an error or an image is duplicated or does not pertain to the topic of the entry. It would help image mods and be more convenient instead of asking them to remove every single one which takes a lot of time.

I want to recap what Spycrabya suggested: "I’d really like it to say somewhere on our dashboard what entries we currently have editorship over and what ones we are currently requesting." YES! I WANTED TO POST THAT TOO!

Also, I'd love to see a tab at the top for the non-meme articles, like the sites, subcultures, people, etc.

Last edited Sep 07, 2011 at 12:33AM EDT

Kalmo wrote:

I would really appreciate the ability for editors in an entry to be allowed to remove images or videos from said entry in case there is an error or an image is duplicated or does not pertain to the topic of the entry. It would help image mods and be more convenient instead of asking them to remove every single one which takes a lot of time.

I would disagree with this ability, for the most part because it is pretty easy to obtain editorship, and someone could vandalize and get rid of a lot of irreplaceable images very easily.

Also, users have been hacked in the past/decided the entry they've made isn't worthwhile and have tried to delete it, and I'm sure they would have done so with the images if possible.

This has a history of happening and it probably will happen again, so I say that this isn't a good idea.

Patrick wrote:

I want to recap what Spycrabya suggested: "I’d really like it to say somewhere on our dashboard what entries we currently have editorship over and what ones we are currently requesting." YES! I WANTED TO POST THAT TOO!

Also, I'd love to see a tab at the top for the non-meme articles, like the sites, subcultures, people, etc.

On the "Meme" section of each person's user profile, it now tells you what entries you have editorship on.

As far as what we are currently requesting, that goes to an email list that mods and admins see, and I think (now, anyway) that it would be too much trouble to be coded for the worth it would give.

A way to unsubscribe all threads in the subscribed threads. I did not realize when I first joined KYM that it auto subbed all threads I posted in, and as a result I now have 16+ pages of subbed threads making it annoying. It refreshes the page every time I delete one, would take a god awful amount of time to clear it.

Sweatie Killer wrote:

A way to unsubscribe all threads in the subscribed threads. I did not realize when I first joined KYM that it auto subbed all threads I posted in, and as a result I now have 16+ pages of subbed threads making it annoying. It refreshes the page every time I delete one, would take a god awful amount of time to clear it.

It only auto-subscribes you to threads that you create, not ones that you post in. You have 318 subscriptions and 312 of them are to threads that you've created.

James wrote:

It only auto-subscribes you to threads that you create, not ones that you post in. You have 318 subscriptions and 312 of them are to threads that you've created.

Last edited Sep 08, 2011 at 02:03AM EDT

James wrote:

If you want me to delete all your subscriptions I can do that.

That would be nice, thank you.

Day late response.

Last edited Sep 09, 2011 at 04:53PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!