Forums / Maintenance / Suggest Ideas

4,332 total conversations in 269 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Suggestions

Last posted Jul 17, 2014 at 07:12PM EDT. Added Sep 05, 2010 at 05:43PM EDT
338 posts from 118 users

Nikolaki8 wrote:

I was thinking that on your profile, you could have if your online or offline, and it would have how much time you have spent on the site. THAT would be interesting.

Continuing:
This might not be a great idea, but what about user titles determined on how much time you have spent on the site.

EDIT: Page get!

Last edited Feb 04, 2012 at 04:20PM EST
Feb 04, 2012 at 04:20PM EST

Jiminy wrote:

A flash files gallery: Can it be done?

yeah what about a flash section
some meme come with theirs swf
like this
http://www.pown.it/flash/pown_2691.swf

and some other meme are fully made of flash animation
http://www.pown.it/flash/pown_1071.swf
http://www.pown.it/flash/pown_2669.swf
http://www.pown.it/flash/pown_2592.swf
http://www.pown.it/flash/pown_3826.swf

Feb 05, 2012 at 08:48AM EST

I am surprised nobody mentioned this!
I suggest a system where Members with “Brand New Member” RANK! Will not be able to create Entries!
Once when they get a RANK-UP and they have been in the site for more that 1+ Week(s), they will be able to create Entries by their own!

Seriously now, think of how many less Spam/Pointless Entries there would be!

Feb 05, 2012 at 09:01AM EST

Oclaf wrote:

I am surprised nobody mentioned this!
I suggest a system where Members with “Brand New Member” RANK! Will not be able to create Entries!
Once when they get a RANK-UP and they have been in the site for more that 1+ Week(s), they will be able to create Entries by their own!

Seriously now, think of how many less Spam/Pointless Entries there would be!

We have been through this already multiple times.

Every now and then a Brand New Member comes along making an entry we never thought of. If that Brand New Member wasn’t able to make that entry, we might still be left in the dark. When it’s actually a subject we should cover.

Deadpooling an article takes just 10 seconds. It’s better to just clean up all the junk and give the few good entries that come along a shot, instead of having almost no new entries.

Besides, if people don’t want crappy entries in the trending bar, they shouldn’t be commenting on it. Comments are what gets an article trending.

Back to topic: When searching for entries, make the deadpooled entries have Red Letters or some other type of marking. That way it’s easier to avoid them.

Last edited Feb 05, 2012 at 10:07AM EST
Feb 05, 2012 at 10:04AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

We have been through this already multiple times.

Every now and then a Brand New Member comes along making an entry we never thought of. If that Brand New Member wasn’t able to make that entry, we might still be left in the dark. When it’s actually a subject we should cover.

Deadpooling an article takes just 10 seconds. It’s better to just clean up all the junk and give the few good entries that come along a shot, instead of having almost no new entries.

Besides, if people don’t want crappy entries in the trending bar, they shouldn’t be commenting on it. Comments are what gets an article trending.

Back to topic: When searching for entries, make the deadpooled entries have Red Letters or some other type of marking. That way it’s easier to avoid them.

I am going to second RandomMan’s point on deadpooling. Most of the new user-made entries that people complain about are obviously not memes – being only a few lines long and containing no examples. Deadpooling them takes no work at all. Furthermore, if a deadpooled entry is taking over the trending bar, the easiest way to fix that is for the users to simply stop posting. If it is obvious that one or two users keep bumping the page (whether from ignorance of the damage they’re doing, or because they want to troll) then the mods can just lock the comments on that page.

Still, it would be better if users just took the deadpool tag as an request from the mods to avoid posting on that page.

Feb 05, 2012 at 02:45PM EST

I like RandomMan’s idea of marking deadpooled articles with red letters. That would save some time.

Last edited Feb 05, 2012 at 03:18PM EST
Feb 05, 2012 at 03:18PM EST

I’m finding it too tedious to scroll down, wait, and repeat everytime I browse a video or image gallery when all I wanted to do is to see stuff that’s been uploaded at certain dates (like for example images and/or videos that have been uploaded a number of months back since I wasn’t here for quite a while). The tagging system would’ve helped me in a limited way but most of the time uploaders are too lazy to add in tags and/or just don’t know what to tag their uploads (See my previous suggestion post for this).

I propose that the search system be enabled to search for specific dates (like typing in the exact date if the user is looking for something specific), a preset time (like “yesterday” ,“a week ago”, “a month ago”, etc.) and/or even a combination of both (for example a text box where you type in a number and a drop down box next to it that list down a time span like “day/s ago”, “week/s ago”, “month/s ago”, etc.). It would also be a great help if you can search words/phrases and dates at the same time and/or even search just inside a specific gallery. Somewhat like an advance search feature.

Feb 07, 2012 at 07:24AM EST

Recently staff’s editing don’t conform to KYMdb style they made by themselves. If you changed your policy, Please update the reference guide.

And nowadays, staffs are embedding videos on 2 columns. I don’t recommend it. Small videos are hard to be enjoy, and make people jump to YouTube page. Is it suitable for your business? I don’t think so. Moreover, notable example videos usually have relationships to other memes. 2 column embedding hardly provide those additonal information to videos.

Feb 07, 2012 at 08:09AM EST

mona_jpn wrote:

Recently staff’s editing don’t conform to KYMdb style they made by themselves. If you changed your policy, Please update the reference guide.

And nowadays, staffs are embedding videos on 2 columns. I don’t recommend it. Small videos are hard to be enjoy, and make people jump to YouTube page. Is it suitable for your business? I don’t think so. Moreover, notable example videos usually have relationships to other memes. 2 column embedding hardly provide those additonal information to videos.

do you have examples of any entries you find not conforming to the style guide?

i like the 2 columns of videos, but i can see where smaller videos might be less than ideal

Feb 07, 2012 at 12:46PM EST

@amanda

At first, you should fix broken images in that entry:) And, I would like to point these changes different from the reference guide.

1. Search Interest section was originally set under spread section (h4.). But, this is individual section (h2.) and set into the previous section to External References for quite some time.

2. “Notable Examples” is the individual section next to “spread” section(h2.). But you recently set this into a subsection under the “spread” section (h4.).

These are examples.

And search results notable

3. you sometimes use “External Links”. But the guide says that section is “External References”.

4. “media coverage” section haven’t been used for quite some time. We usually describe directly about this in the “spread” section.

I and probably other moderators edit or clean up entries by following staff’s actual editing. And now, we are editing site, person, event and subcultures entries without any references. This isn’t a good situation. I think we should organize those editing styles and update the reference guide.

Of course, I know staffs are in busy for following current events :(

> 2 columns of videos

At least, we had better set video player size not 300×233, but 300×225. This enables to hide “player controll bar” automatically and to show videos in full size of player.

Last edited Feb 07, 2012 at 02:18PM EST
Feb 07, 2012 at 02:18PM EST

Thanks for the notes mona, these are valid suggestions and will be soon reflected in the updated style guide.

Feb 09, 2012 at 03:31PM EST

Alright, the walls.
I think that as soon as somebody posts on your wall, it should show up on the “You have x wall posts!” and when you click on it, it should go back down to zero.
I find it hard to keep track of that stuff and I often find myself just clicking back to the wall because I’m expecting somebody to post there.

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:50PM EST

I have a suggestion:

If there are no editors on an entry that have been active within the last 3 months, then the next editorship request is automatically sent to a moderator. There’s a lot of submissions who’s editors have gone inactive, and every time I try to revive them I have to bug somebody about it. We could save some time an effort through this.

Feb 09, 2012 at 08:57PM EST

MDFification wrote:

I have a suggestion:

If there are no editors on an entry that have been active within the last 3 months, then the next editorship request is automatically sent to a moderator. There’s a lot of submissions who’s editors have gone inactive, and every time I try to revive them I have to bug somebody about it. We could save some time an effort through this.

Mods already receive all of the editor requests. Emphasis on “all” – as in every suggestion and editor request made on this site, meaning that it is easy for things to get skimmed over. If you think that a mod should add new people to a meme, then you would be better off sending one a direct message.

Feb 09, 2012 at 09:36PM EST

Suggestion for Dashboard and activity page.

In those pages, YouTube videos and some large images are always overflowing from the area.

The width of feed_item area has only 604px. But the video size in “video post” feed is set to 640×360px. It should be changed into nowadays default YouTube video player size 560×315px (or more smaller size). Perhaps, you will be able to fix it soon by changing the setting in your CMS.

Image size in “image post” feed has no problem.

It’s a bit more complex to fix video’s and image’s size in “wall post” and “comment post” feeds.

At first, add a notice to the comment post window like “images are displayed smaller than ***x***px”. and display all images forcefully within the size by CMS setting, JS, jQuery or CSS.

Then, install jquery plugin or something which enables displaying a image in original size in new window or enlarging it in the place when mouse clicking.

Now, the width of wall post is set to 582px, comment in entries is 592px and item_feed for them is 579px. So, image should be also smaller than 560px in this case.

I have no good idea for overflowed video in comment/wall posts except for overwriting its width and height by css (I’m doing it for “video post” feeds by custom css using stylish). But users usually embed videos with YouTube’s default player size (560×315px or 420×315px). So it doesn’t need to be acknowledged as a problem, as of now.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:46AM EST

mona_jpn wrote:

Suggestion for Dashboard and activity page.

In those pages, YouTube videos and some large images are always overflowing from the area.

The width of feed_item area has only 604px. But the video size in “video post” feed is set to 640×360px. It should be changed into nowadays default YouTube video player size 560×315px (or more smaller size). Perhaps, you will be able to fix it soon by changing the setting in your CMS.

Image size in “image post” feed has no problem.

It’s a bit more complex to fix video’s and image’s size in “wall post” and “comment post” feeds.

At first, add a notice to the comment post window like “images are displayed smaller than ***x***px”. and display all images forcefully within the size by CMS setting, JS, jQuery or CSS.

Then, install jquery plugin or something which enables displaying a image in original size in new window or enlarging it in the place when mouse clicking.

Now, the width of wall post is set to 582px, comment in entries is 592px and item_feed for them is 579px. So, image should be also smaller than 560px in this case.

I have no good idea for overflowed video in comment/wall posts except for overwriting its width and height by css (I’m doing it for “video post” feeds by custom css using stylish). But users usually embed videos with YouTube’s default player size (560×315px or 420×315px). So it doesn’t need to be acknowledged as a problem, as of now.

These are good ideas.
In theory, instead of using the jquery plugin for displaying the original size image, it should be (relatively) simple to implement a system similar to the thumbnails in article image galleries, and the popup box that clicking on those produces. But, I think that would only work if the images in the wall posts/comments/etc had been uploaded to a KYM gallery.

On the other hand, I don’t know if KYM settings would play nice with Textile code since they’re undoubtedly separate systems. Basically, if the system that reads the Textile code and formats the post accordingly and the system that handles other formatting on KYM were to “share” their changes to the formatting of the post, I don’t think the latter system would be able to detect the image’s size, even if it’s perfectly capable of scaling down an image.

This is all just speculation and hunches, but I’ve done my fair share of coding and based on what I know of it, these are my thoughts.
Still, it would be great to see your ideas put into action; neatness in website formatting makes all the difference in the world.

Feb 10, 2012 at 11:43AM EST

@Captain Troper

Gununu… I forgot thinking about images having links and textile codes. I thought about embedded images from external websites without links.

The easiest way is just automatically scaling down all images in comment/wall posts without aftercare. I’ve already actualized this by Google chrome with Stylish. But this css requires max-width and max-height properties which aren’t supported in early IE. So, those problems can’t be solved easily by just adding those codes to the CSS file in the website.

Feb 10, 2012 at 01:08PM EST

What do you mean by “early IE”? What version number?
I’m fairly certain the most recent release supports HTML5. Does that not include the aforementioned CSS properties?

Also, most people embedding images from external websites (as far as I know) use the Textile markup for it. I’m not sure if this markup is translated straight to HTML or if it goes through some different process, but if the former, I retract my doubts from my previous post; HTML is arguably made for flexing with Javascript and CSS.

As for viewers whose browsers don’t support CSS, I imagine there’s a simpler version of the site that is displayed if the server detects they won’t be able to process the CSS properties. Once again this is just a guess, as I don’t know a lot about CSS; but if HTML can do it in regard to frames code, I don’t see why CSS wouldn’t be able to do it here. And even if it can’t detect that and provide a low-tech version of the site, I doubt those people would get much out of KYM as a whole anyway.

Feb 10, 2012 at 01:25PM EST

@Captain Troper

IE6 and IE7 don’t support max-width and max-height properties (need “IE hack”). If we could ignore those sh*t web browsers, there is no problem.

Anyway, there may be several solutions for overflowing videos/images. We had better leave this matter to staffs:)

Feb 10, 2012 at 02:03PM EST

Not exactly needed, but I was thinking “Show Username and Avatar at time of posting” button would be cool.

Also, I would like to stress again how much better entries would turn out if they had an auto-generated template when you go to create them.

Last edited Feb 14, 2012 at 06:53PM EST
Feb 14, 2012 at 06:52PM EST

New idea regarding Brand New Members and the many… “misguided” approaches they have taken to making articles.

What if new members were given some kind of “briefing” shortly after registration (just a few paragraphs of text that they have to read) that explains the dos and don’ts as it were of article-making? For example, it would have to mention that KYM is not a place where memes are created, it is where existing memes are documented; if they knew that, we’d see less of those articles where the user was trying to create a meme by starting an article. If the “briefing” was done well enough we’d probably also see less articles that are just things that should be merged with existing articles.

I’m not sure if I’m describing this clearly, but what say you lot?

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:05PM EST

I was also thinking the ability to edit Forum Thread Titles shortly after their creation would be nice.

Also: @Cpt. Troper: There is probably a million places I could link you to with other users saying almost the exact same thing. “New users should be forced to read/watch a tutorial and/or the rules.”

My take on it is that if they have a template to fill out new entries will be in much better condition.

Feb 14, 2012 at 08:40PM EST

You would think something that had been suggested (apparently) numerous times would get some official feedback, otherwise there’s not much point in suggesting it.

But yeah, your idea would probably help the new folks at least write a good article, or maybe discourage them from making deadpool fodder if they can’t fill out the whole template.

Feb 14, 2012 at 09:52PM EST

Can the Edit and Delete buttons disappear after you are no longer able to edit or delete a post? It would just be a much more clear indicator if you can do those actions or not.

Feb 15, 2012 at 07:07PM EST

Someone has probably already suggested this but would it be possible for user titles such as Conversationalist, Commentator, and Researcher to update themselves based on the users contributions?

Correct me if I’m wrong but currently it seems if you meet the forum post requirements for Conversationalist first but later you mostly edit entries until they take up a majority of your contributions you will still have the Conversationalist title instead of being a Researcher.

Perhaps it could be changed that if a user has 1000+ contributions in a single area and those particular contributions take up a majority of the user’s total that it would automatically change itself to the appropriate one.

It just seems odd that you would be stuck with a single title simply for achieving it before any of the others.

Feb 16, 2012 at 05:22PM EST

Suiseiseki     wrote:

Someone has probably already suggested this but would it be possible for user titles such as Conversationalist, Commentator, and Researcher to update themselves based on the users contributions?

Correct me if I’m wrong but currently it seems if you meet the forum post requirements for Conversationalist first but later you mostly edit entries until they take up a majority of your contributions you will still have the Conversationalist title instead of being a Researcher.

Perhaps it could be changed that if a user has 1000+ contributions in a single area and those particular contributions take up a majority of the user’s total that it would automatically change itself to the appropriate one.

It just seems odd that you would be stuck with a single title simply for achieving it before any of the others.

It seems like people are unhappy with the user titles for different reasons across the board.
How about a system where you can choose which title you want to use from among the ones you’ve earned, and swap them out at any time via profile editing or something? Or maybe just make the title custom so people can set it to whatever they want?

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:05PM EST

Captain Howel wrote:

You would think something that had been suggested (apparently) numerous times would get some official feedback, otherwise there’s not much point in suggesting it.

But yeah, your idea would probably help the new folks at least write a good article, or maybe discourage them from making deadpool fodder if they can’t fill out the whole template.

We have been over this multiple times.

It won’t work.

There will always be trolls.

We will probably loose publicity if we don’t let people create entries as soon as they join.

Feb 17, 2012 at 02:53AM EST

Suiseiseki     wrote:

So for example:

Having 1000 forum posts and 100 entry edits, your title will be, “Conversational Researcher”?

Feb 17, 2012 at 02:56AM EST

Andy King of Ducks wrote:

I think it would be good if the site delected deadpool pages they make this place look messy.

The problem with that (and it has been suggested before) is that some deadpooled pages do become real memes, and get turned back into proper articles. By keeping them on, we give the creator a chance to get his/her act together and fix the problem. Case in point: I Regret Nothing is, as I write this, the second most viewed image gallery today. When it was created, it was terrible, and Doc deadpooled it right away. But then another user took it up and added to it, and then got RandomMan to open it back up. Had we deleted the page, a very popular meme might have been lost forever.

Feb 25, 2012 at 05:39PM EST

Captain Howel wrote:

It seems like people are unhappy with the user titles for different reasons across the board.
How about a system where you can choose which title you want to use from among the ones you’ve earned, and swap them out at any time via profile editing or something? Or maybe just make the title custom so people can set it to whatever they want?

This is a good idea, but it would take a round of coding (not to mention the titles themselves often don’t work). Custom titles should still only be for users with major contributions.

Feb 25, 2012 at 07:39PM EST

MDFification wrote:

This is a good idea, but it would take a round of coding (not to mention the titles themselves often don’t work). Custom titles should still only be for users with major contributions.

Custom titles are only given to special users of the site. It’s not based on their contributions.

I understand where you’re coming from, but that means a lot of people would have custom titles.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:24AM EST

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Custom titles are only given to special users of the site. It’s not based on their contributions.

I understand where you’re coming from, but that means a lot of people would have custom titles.

Think of the retarded titles people would come up with if everyone could decide his own title.

Not to mention that trolls might use it to impersonate moderators.

Feb 26, 2012 at 03:11PM EST

RandomMan wrote:

Think of the retarded titles people would come up with if everyone could decide his own title.

Not to mention that trolls might use it to impersonate moderators.

Indeed. There would have to be a lot of restrictions. The word “moderator,” for example, would have to be completely banned.

Feb 26, 2012 at 04:40PM EST

I think replies (which show up in a message center) and the ability to change your rating (thumbs up/down) would be very helpful.

Feb 29, 2012 at 01:06PM EST

^
Replies would be useful but most users now just write on the wall of user who said it or respond with a @username.

As for being able to change the thumbs up / down after you give it, it’s very rare that you will want to change your vote unless you clicked the wrong button.

Feb 29, 2012 at 08:15PM EST

Cyber6x wrote:

^
Replies would be useful but most users now just write on the wall of user who said it or respond with a @username.

As for being able to change the thumbs up / down after you give it, it’s very rare that you will want to change your vote unless you clicked the wrong button.

As someone who has clicked the wrong button several times before, I am going to second the call for a changeable karma system.

Feb 29, 2012 at 08:18PM EST

PickyMcCritical wrote:

I think replies (which show up in a message center) and the ability to change your rating (thumbs up/down) would be very helpful.

Reply buttons would be pretty convenient in comment sections.
People wouldn’t have to type @USERNAME anymore just to reply to another user.
They should also receive notifications like the ones in the main page so that they won’t miss any replies.

Alternatively users should receive a notification whenever a person types “@USERNAME”.

Last edited Mar 01, 2012 at 03:10AM EST
Mar 01, 2012 at 03:08AM EST

I’m sure someone else has already thought of this, but maybe every entry should start in the Deadpool until enough people make a case for it to be “brought out.”

Apply some bottom-up / post test style process to it; if nothing starts as a meme then why do things start in a neutrally-defined way (submission)? It should be win / fail… no middle ground.

“it’s not a meme” – until it is a meme.

Mar 09, 2012 at 11:40PM EST

Cyber6x wrote:

How about images can have more then one entry for a subject?

Eg. this would go under both Pokemon and Batman. Although, this would require a lot more effort for the rage comic uploads.

I would like to bring up this idea again.

This would be very useful as I have found recently in many cases.

Mar 10, 2012 at 03:29AM EST

Guys, I think I may have found a solution to all the meme-forcing on our site. This doesn’t really stop the meme-forcing, but it cleans up the database.

On another thread that is most likely locked, Epic Fail Pony said that entry attempts at meme-forcing should be put in a new entry section, the idea pretty much got rejected, well actually not so sure.

But I’m thinking there should be a new mechanic or something where these meme entries be put in a new section. The section would not appear on the ‘Memes’ tab on the top of the website page. Instead, there would be a banner or whatever it’s called, like the Submission, Deadpool, NSFW and Ruining Childhood ones. It would say that it is an attempt at meme-forcing and it will be automatically hidden/deleted. By that I mean that all the entries in that section will be automatically hidden/deleted.

TL;DR, a new section for meme-forcing that gets all of the entries in it deleted, by an implemented new mechanic.

But some ‘sacred’ Deadpooled articles (CAMOAWAM, Super Robo Jesus etc.) should stay in the Deadpool section. Duplicates could also be included.

So… what do you guys think?

Mar 11, 2012 at 01:16AM EST

^

Deadpooling isn’t supposed to be for scared memes, it’s for forced, not notable and all things not memes. Yes, we get a lot of users with entries saying “I made this…” but they deserve deadpool and not a section that results in complete deletion. We already have the hidden status for spam, duplicate and gore & porn entries.

Mar 11, 2012 at 05:43AM EDT

I have another idea to solve the brand new member problem.
It is true that some brand new members have been lurking the site before they joined and thus know what a meme is; however, the overwhelming majority of new members have no idea what a meme is.

What I propose is some sort of quiz that tests on basic knowledge of memes. To submit an entry you must pass it. On there will be such questions about some very popular memes and the qualities if a meme. If a user fails it they must wait a week or so to retake it.

This will weed out all brand new members who have no idea what a meme is.

Mar 12, 2012 at 09:41PM EDT

Cyber6x wrote:

^

Deadpooling isn’t supposed to be for scared memes, it’s for forced, not notable and all things not memes. Yes, we get a lot of users with entries saying “I made this…” but they deserve deadpool and not a section that results in complete deletion. We already have the hidden status for spam, duplicate and gore & porn entries.

Well, I didn’t exactly said that. That alone would be a stupid reason. Not notable entries, by means would be Deadpool. So… I guess that was really pointless.

Mar 13, 2012 at 06:24AM EDT

This isn’t practical or anything, but, what about a slice in our pies charts regarding to the number of wall posts we have made?

Mar 14, 2012 at 03:45AM EDT

I got an Idea about the forum.

We should disable the time limit to edit a forum post.Personally,My keyboard fuck sometime and,there’s some unwanted word that appear randomly on my post.plus,I got a pretty slow Internet connection.So,I lack of time editing the previous post I posted.

Sometime,when I read or post something incomplete or that contain a lot of grammatical error,.I just find this disturbing to not be able editing my post on time.

nuff said

Last edited Mar 15, 2012 at 02:38AM EDT
Mar 15, 2012 at 02:36AM EDT

Nikolaki8 wrote:

This isn’t practical or anything, but, what about a slice in our pies charts regarding to the number of wall posts we have made?

Wall posts and comments on entries both go under the Comments section in our profiles.

Mar 15, 2012 at 02:51AM EDT

Epicus The Warrior wrote:

I got an Idea about the forum.

We should disable the time limit to edit a forum post.Personally,My keyboard fuck sometime and,there’s some unwanted word that appear randomly on my post.plus,I got a pretty slow Internet connection.So,I lack of time editing the previous post I posted.

Sometime,when I read or post something incomplete or that contain a lot of grammatical error,.I just find this disturbing to not be able editing my post on time.

nuff said

That rule is in place to prevent people from being able to edit posts well after people have had a chance to respond. 30 minutes for most users is enough time to check it and edit it, and I’m not sure if the change to an hour or more would be worth the coding needed to make the change.

If there are a just a few errors in it, then I’m sure the users will forgive it. I’d just suggest checking and editing as much as possible before posting.

And if there is a post you truly regret, then you can PM a forum mod/database mod, and they may edit it/delete it for you (however, that’d be only in extreme cases, and it’s nothing that you should consider often.)

Mar 15, 2012 at 03:51AM EDT

Nikolaki8 wrote:

Wall posts you made are counted as comments.

Mar 15, 2012 at 08:55AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!