4,276 total conversations in 262 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
Suggestions

Last posted Jul 17, 2014 at 07:12PM EDT. Added Sep 05, 2010 at 05:43PM EDT
338 posts from 118 users

RandomMan wrote:

I’m reviving this idea.

Put KYM labcoats up for sale, they’ll be sold out in no time.

(and send free ones to the mods)

Well of course the store would be sold out – what else would happen after I bought them all to sew into a comfy Know Your Meme cocoon?

Jul 25, 2012 at 03:46PM EDT

When a user uploads something, and it makes the front page, that user should get an automated PM saying so.

Sep 26, 2012 at 10:31PM EDT

Platus wrote:

When a user uploads something, and it makes the front page, that user should get an automated PM saying so.

This is something that cheezburger does. I’ve wanted some sort of front-paging karma system for awhile..

would more people be interested in this?

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:03AM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

I’m reviving this idea.

Put KYM labcoats up for sale, they’ll be sold out in no time.

(and send free ones to the mods)

I’d buy one, I need a new one.

What better than to have an authentic lab coat from the guys at KYM? “Just like Jamie use to wear” would be the slogan, I’m sure.

Sep 27, 2012 at 10:41AM EDT

amanda b. wrote:

This is something that cheezburger does. I’ve wanted some sort of front-paging karma system for awhile..

would more people be interested in this?

Simply, yes.

We have karma to reinforce constructive, thoughtful, on-topic, and clever posts. However, users give out karma, and they give them out (or take them away) based on whatever reason they see fit. Therefore, posts that don’t necessarily have those attributes are reinforced. Once users see what nets the good karma, then they post based upon that and not for the reasons karma was established for in the first place.

Karma can be a bad thing.

However, karma/points would only be given here based upon administration’s call. So since administration has different criteria for front-paging, it should only reinforce instances, threads, entries, etc. that are quality.

Since karma is given out by a responsible party, then the effect of reinforcement would be more pronounced than the effect of karma whoring. Sounds like a good plan.

Sep 27, 2012 at 02:13PM EDT

Suggestion here.

I’ve seen an NSFW image (from a NSFW entry, and the entry crucial to the entry so it’s not something to be deleted) in the trending images.

Although poorly drawn, here’s the explicit image of note.

I don’t think that should be something that’s on the front page, because there’s no warning about the content of the image like there would be for the entry’s gallery.

As for coding, we coded out ponies from trending images, because they annoyed people. If we have a NSFW tag for entries so as not to offend people, then I think the coding should be implemented to prevent NSFW images from appearing to users and browsers with no warning.

Sep 29, 2012 at 04:32PM EDT

Hey, I’ve got something. You know how in entries and images and such there’s hidden buried comments that got too many downvotes? Well of course you click them out of curiosity, but once you do, you can’t toggle them back to being hidden. And more often than not, if a comment is bad enough to be hidden in the first place, you want to re-hide it afterwards.

tl;dr make buried comments re-hidable after clicking “show”

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:33PM EDT

Maybe we could change the search function, so when you search for something (try searching 4chan) the entry named 4chan pops up first instead of like on the last page?

Nov 10, 2012 at 04:37PM EST

I notice from the Titles and Functions thread that moderators with the title of “Photo Moderators” control the media on the site (as in images and videos.) This is a quote taken directly from the thread:

They can edit or delete every piece of media posted.

Every piece of media posted. This includes videos. So, let’s say that a user spots a video that needs to be removed or edited for whatever reason, and they go to a Photo Moderator to request that it be removed or edited. Confusion could easily ensue, as a user could mistake a Photo Moderator for just having image powers, a perfectly understandable mistake.

So, to prevent confusion, why not just make the Photo Moderator title “Media Moderator”? This would make it much easier for less-informed users with requests for that kind of thing.

Also, rather than having the “What is Textile?” box at the bottom of every thread link to the Wikipedia article on textile, which is tedious and a bit confusing, why not have it link to the Guide to Textile thread on KYM, which was created specifically for KYM and is written in a much more “user-friendly” way?

Last edited Dec 01, 2012 at 10:14AM EST
Dec 01, 2012 at 10:14AM EST

Doctor What wrote:

Every piece of media posted. This includes videos. So, let’s say that a user spots a video that needs to be removed or edited for whatever reason, and they go to a Photo Moderator to request that it be removed or edited. Confusion could easily ensue, as a user could mistake a Photo Moderator for just having image powers, a perfectly understandable mistake.

Photo Moderator was intentionally just what it reads, images only. It was only changed recently during the last mods batch. Before that video moderating was limited to staff and only a small group of Database Moderators. I have suggested multiple times already to change the title along with it, but had no success so far.

Also, rather than having the “What is Textile?” box at the bottom of every thread link to the Wikipedia article on textile, which is tedious and a bit confusing, why not have it link to the Guide to Textile thread on KYM, which was created specifically for KYM and is written in a much more “user-friendly” way?

I need to change it a small bit first, mainly to make it easier to find the stuff you’re looking for through footnotes. But that’s a 15-20 minute job.

Besides that I fully agree. When users need to know some html, they don’t go to the Wiki entry, it’s that thread they commonly go to.

Dec 01, 2012 at 02:20PM EST

I think we should do a clean up of some old submissions. There’s a lot of gems from back in the early days that have been passed up, unnoticed, and it would really narrow down reposts I think.

Also, there’s a lot of terrible stuff back there that should be deadpooled and set aflame.

Last edited Dec 04, 2012 at 09:05AM EST
Dec 04, 2012 at 09:05AM EST

These are both quick suggestions that should be relatively easy to implement, and I’d like to hear some arguments in favor of or opposed to my ideas.

-Why not move the “Guide for making entries” and “Requesting editorship and making suggestions for entries” threads to the Meme Research board, and sticky them there? My reasoning is simple: if I were interested in creating or helping with an entry, I would naturally look first in Meme Research, rather than Site-Related. The other threads about entries are already there anyway. I understand that the topics pertain to the site, but just for clarity’s sake, and the fact that the topics are by-and-large meme entry formatting and editing, I think they may be better off in Meme Research.

-I finally found the KYMdb Style Guide the other day, and I think maybe that could be linked to in a thread similar to the “Come join us in the IRC” thread. It could serve similar purposes and make it much easier for the less site-savvy newer members interested in entry creation to have leads to go on, no?

(I don’t know if there already is a thread about the style guide. If there is, consider this suggestion null.)

PhoenixBlitzkrieg wrote:

I think we should do a clean up of some old submissions. There’s a lot of gems from back in the early days that have been passed up, unnoticed, and it would really narrow down reposts I think.

We have the Project Reconfirmation thread in Meme Research that is dedicated to finding old entries of poor quality and heightening them to modern-day standards. Maybe that venture needs reviving.

Dec 23, 2012 at 01:35PM EST

Three-day interval double-post, please.

To derive off of a good idea I saw recently, I was wondering how feasible and reasonable it would be to put all of the current stickied threads on each board into folders labeled “Important Threads” or something along those lines, sticky the current unlocked featured threads on each board below the folders for easy navigation, and to ensure that duplicate topics do not surface, and have the regular thread feed below the featured threads. This is what the layout would look like:

Important Threads (folder)
--------------------------------
Featured Threads
Regular Thread Feed

I’d be more than happy to discuss this idea, because I’m not convinced about how beneficial it would be.

Dec 26, 2012 at 09:11PM EST

Evan Hechenbach wrote:

Three-day interval double-post, please.

To derive off of a good idea I saw recently, I was wondering how feasible and reasonable it would be to put all of the current stickied threads on each board into folders labeled “Important Threads” or something along those lines, sticky the current unlocked featured threads on each board below the folders for easy navigation, and to ensure that duplicate topics do not surface, and have the regular thread feed below the featured threads. This is what the layout would look like:

Important Threads (folder)
Featured Threads
Regular Thread Feed

I’d be more than happy to discuss this idea, because I’m not convinced about how beneficial it would be.

I disagree with the featured threads on top. Featured threads are, unlike Stickied threads, not of full-site importancy. Not to forget some featured threads have simply died, you will be putting up month or even year dead threads back on top with that idea. This then can be backed up by several featured threads in JFF which were basically featured because a mod found them funny (Nic Cage general confirmed best thread ever).

Stickied threads put together in a folder (with some reorganisation) is something I can agree with though.

Last edited Dec 27, 2012 at 09:23AM EST
Dec 27, 2012 at 09:06AM EST

RandomMan wrote:

I disagree with the featured threads on top. Featured threads are, unlike Stickied threads, not of full-site importancy. Not to forget some featured threads have simply died, you will be putting up month or even year dead threads back on top with that idea. This then can be backed up by several featured threads in JFF which were basically featured because a mod found them funny (Nic Cage general confirmed best thread ever).

Stickied threads put together in a folder (with some reorganisation) is something I can agree with though.

Ah, alas, twas a fruitless scheme on my part. I mean, I’ve seen unlocked featured threads from 3 years ago when lurking the oldest posts on KYM. We don’t want those long dead threads suddenly resurrected.

I still like the idea of the sticky folder though. It makes for a cleaner board and the threads are still just as easy to find.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:44AM EST

Can we restore the old Embed Method for Images? Looking at old forum topics sometimes leaves a [photo:xxxxx] grave where an old image use to be.

Or at the very least set a script though the website to change all of those to standard textile or HTML Embeds?

Also, have the “What is a Textile?” link lead here instead of the Wikipedia Article.

Last edited Dec 30, 2012 at 02:40PM EST
Dec 30, 2012 at 02:39PM EST

Natsuru Springfield wrote:

Also, have the “What is a Textile?” link lead here instead of the Wikipedia Article.

I would think that this is an idea that the administration could get behind, particularly because it has been suggested multiple times in this thread before, after having read through the entire thing in detail, which I probably should have done earlier.

In addition, the idea’s benefits appear to outweigh the potential negative aspects of the idea.

I don’t think anybody would actually go to the trouble of reading the entire Wikipedia article on textile when instead, they have the much more convenient and site-specific guide created for them. Of course, newer users cannot be expected to find the thread, at least not right away. It didn’t take me very long to find it, but I credit that to have just been my experience with other forums in the past coming to light.

I’m sure that it would also cut down on the number of posts in the New Member Questions thread, and, occurring much more rarely, whole forum threads created in General or Site-Related where the OP simply asks how to create a text hyperlink or how to embed an image into a forum post. Of course, there is a potential problem: people could miss the little text written above the text box when replying directly to the OP, or below it when quoting a post in the thread. Thus, I’d have to also suggest making the text more prominent if this suggestion is to be implemented. In my opinion, it’s just too simple and makes too much sense to not have.

I have another idea, quickly going back to the topic of newer members that are less experienced with using the forums asking questions about textile and HTML commands, sometimes even creating new threads to ask these questions. Why not put an “Announcements” feature in the forums, so that crucial threads can be stickied across all boards for easy access? I refer, of course, to threads like the KYM Guide to Textile and the NSFW Guidelines thread. You know, things like that.

I understand that it could, and likely will if it is implemented, serve as a botheration for James, seeing as KYM’s development as a website comes out of his time, but I just think that having an Announcement system would do more good than harm to the community. It would both be geared toward newer members (its primary reason for theoretical existence), and to older or more experienced members so as to make sure that they stay sharp when it comes to the KYM rules, regulations, tenets and guidelines.

This wouldn’t necessarily mean that each and every stickied thread on every board would be put on display across all boards. Threads specific to certain boards (like many threads in Meme Research, and a couple of the Site-Related threads) would stay put. There is no reason to move those. I’m just talking about threads that it would be nice to have on display across all boards to cut down on questions and things like that.

Furthermore, an Announcement system could help in terms of short-term developments and plans. For example, if a sudden change were to occur to KYM that were to last for about a week, it would be nice to make the message known across all boards to prevent confusion, as a thread like that would likely end up in either General or Site-Related. I know that there are some users that post here that don’t leave the Just For Fun board, some never visit the Site-Related board, etc. It would likely help in scenarios like that as well.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:04PM EST
This post has been hidden due to low karma.
Click here to show this post.

I think this site should have more pictures of breasts.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:36AM EST

Some pictures are nsfw ,but not listed as that. I think users should be able to report it with a button next to it. OR there is a voting button,
“X votes needed to confirm NSWF
The Staff might prefer a report though. I don’t really know.

Jan 13, 2013 at 03:25PM EST

I have suggested this before, but it seemed to go un-noticed.

I always wanted to have a feature that told if a user was online/offline.\

Please. This would help so much in terms on communication.

Jan 15, 2013 at 02:43AM EST

The link to the Forum Rules, located next to the “Post a Reply” box, links to the old rules and not the new rules.

Edit: I’m suggesting it be changed since this is “suggestions.”

Last edited Feb 18, 2013 at 10:14PM EST
Feb 18, 2013 at 10:11PM EST

Chris wrote:

I’d really like it to say somewhere on our dashboard what entries we currently have editorship over and what ones we are currently requesting.

It would save me some time and it would remind me what needs to be worked on.

Also, for editors, let them have an individual marking that only the person who made the marking can see, to remind them to work on the article.

This, so much. I’ve requested editorship for several articles and not heard a freaking thing about what happened to the requests. At the very least, can’t this site notify somebody when their editorship request has been denied? (An editorship request being accepted tends to be obvious enough.)

Also, what happens when a single user ends up requesting editorship for the same article several times, either because they forgot that they already applied or have heard absolutely zilch from the existing editors? That’s probably frustrating for everybody, and allowing for more feedback on editorship requests would be a great way to fix it.

And while I’m at it, I’m not sure how an editorship gets approved in the first place… do all editors pitch in, or is it the sole responsibility of the person who originally posted the article? I’ve seen implications supporting both answers to that question; for example, the Mama Luigi page has a comment from the original poster stating that I’ll be the last user to have an editorship for the article approved. Yet when applying for an editorship, the site says “Thank you, your request will be reviewed by the article editors”. (I’m just paraphrasing, of course.) So, which way does it work?

Last edited Mar 06, 2013 at 04:06PM EST
Mar 06, 2013 at 03:47PM EST

Also, there should be an option to mark videos as being NSFW. Take this video, for instance; it’s utterly hilarious, but also most definitely not something I’d be comfortable with allowing somebody under the age of 15 (or with very delicate sensibilities) to watch.

I mean, seriously… just watch it yourself, if you dare, or check out the video itself on YouTube and look at the comments. Most of them are along the lines of “WTF” and “Ewwww!!!”, and for good reason.

Last edited Mar 06, 2013 at 04:20PM EST
Mar 06, 2013 at 03:59PM EST

Nikolaki8 wrote:

I have suggested this before, but it seemed to go un-noticed.

I always wanted to have a feature that told if a user was online/offline.\

Please. This would help so much in terms on communication.

Again, this, so much. Currently, the only indicator of whether or not a user is around is whether or not they’ve done something that shows up in their Activity tag on their page in the last few minutes. And since the Activity tab actually takes a few minutes to update, and doesn’t even record some things (like article edits that only add or remove tags, or comments on videos), that isn’t very reliable at all.

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:09PM EST

Also, there really should be a way to delete videos whose uploading has somehow failed, so that video galleries aren’t cluttered with videos that can’t even be watched. (Sorry for the quadruple post, I just had a lot to say here.)

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:22PM EST

Dr. Coolface wrote:

We should have every Tuesday night be fajita night.

… … …

Last edited Mar 06, 2013 at 04:48PM EST
Mar 06, 2013 at 04:47PM EST

Luigifan wrote:

Also, there really should be a way to delete videos whose uploading has somehow failed, so that video galleries aren’t cluttered with videos that can’t even be watched. (Sorry for the quadruple post, I just had a lot to say here.)

They can be deleted by many of the moderators.

Put up a post in the Video Cleaning Thread if you see any of them.

Otherwise, send a message over to one of the database moderators or use the Suggest a Change button on the entry page and mention that there are dead videos in the entry gallery or in the entry itself.

We’ll be sure to take care of it.

Mar 06, 2013 at 05:42PM EST

Can we get more titles, and perhaps multiple titles?

There are a lot of people that have way more photos/posts for titles like archivist and conversationalist and stuff.

Mar 06, 2013 at 05:46PM EST

Luigifan wrote:

This, so much. I’ve requested editorship for several articles and not heard a freaking thing about what happened to the requests. At the very least, can’t this site notify somebody when their editorship request has been denied? (An editorship request being accepted tends to be obvious enough.)

Also, what happens when a single user ends up requesting editorship for the same article several times, either because they forgot that they already applied or have heard absolutely zilch from the existing editors? That’s probably frustrating for everybody, and allowing for more feedback on editorship requests would be a great way to fix it.

And while I’m at it, I’m not sure how an editorship gets approved in the first place… do all editors pitch in, or is it the sole responsibility of the person who originally posted the article? I’ve seen implications supporting both answers to that question; for example, the Mama Luigi page has a comment from the original poster stating that I’ll be the last user to have an editorship for the article approved. Yet when applying for an editorship, the site says “Thank you, your request will be reviewed by the article editors”. (I’m just paraphrasing, of course.) So, which way does it work?

I’ll explain how Editorship Requests work.

When you request editorship, an email goes out to whoever made the entry as well as every moderator who has the power to edit entries. Editorships get approved when a moderator confirms it through the email. There really isn’t any such thing as ‘denying’ an editorship request, it’s more that it either wasn’t noticed by a moderator or any moderator that did see it didn’t think it would be helpful to add you (it is 95% the former).

If you really want to be added as an editor on an entry and you’re not sure about your request, just send a private message or post on the wall of any entry moderator, senior moderator, or database moderator and they’ll add you to the entry.

It’s a little roundabout but the fastest way is definitely asking a moderator. I know that I personally can grant editorships so if you ever need one just send me a private message and I’ll be sure to take care of it.

Mar 06, 2013 at 06:04PM EST

Chris wrote:

They can be deleted by many of the moderators.

Put up a post in the Video Cleaning Thread if you see any of them.

Otherwise, send a message over to one of the database moderators or use the Suggest a Change button on the entry page and mention that there are dead videos in the entry gallery or in the entry itself.

We’ll be sure to take care of it.

Actually, I found a way to do it myself.

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:50PM EST

Okay, new idea. I’d like it if I could click on “Karma Received” on my profile and get a list of which of my forum posts have actually been voted on. (Likewise, it’d be nice to click on “Karma Given” and get a list of forum posts I’ve voted on.)

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:54PM EDT

Also, I’ve been aware for quite some time that the pie chart for a user’s activity often lags behind their actual activity on the site, sometimes not “catching up” for several hours. (For instance, at the time I’m posting this, my pie chart says I’ve uploaded 169 images, but I’ve actually uploaded 174.) It’d be nice if the pie chart told you when it was last updated, just so you could look at your activity feed and figure out the difference between what the pie chart says and what you’ve done since then.

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:11PM EDT

MDFification wrote:

Maybe we could change the search function, so when you search for something (try searching 4chan) the entry named 4chan pops up first instead of like on the last page?

So, in other words, title takes priority over tags? …Why isn’t that being done already?

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:12PM EDT

Luigifan wrote:

Okay, new idea. I’d like it if I could click on “Karma Received” on my profile and get a list of which of my forum posts have actually been voted on. (Likewise, it’d be nice to click on “Karma Given” and get a list of forum posts I’ve voted on.)

Impractical, considering how many users have many thousands of posts to keep track of.

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:34PM EDT

Luigifan wrote:

Also, I’ve been aware for quite some time that the pie chart for a user’s activity often lags behind their actual activity on the site, sometimes not “catching up” for several hours. (For instance, at the time I’m posting this, my pie chart says I’ve uploaded 169 images, but I’ve actually uploaded 174.) It’d be nice if the pie chart told you when it was last updated, just so you could look at your activity feed and figure out the difference between what the pie chart says and what you’ve done since then.

In regards to that, I think that’s a minor issue. I’ve been told that you can “force” your profile statistics to update by editing your profile (e.g., adding one letter to your About Me section, saving it, removing that letter, and then saving it again so that your profile has no net change.) I’m not sure if it’s a large enough concern to implement that coding.

As for the tag taking priority over the title of an entry, I think that’s been changed to some extent. There was a time where the suggested entries that came up when you typed “My Little” didn’t even include “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.” A terrible error considering a lot of traffic to the site involve that entry and its respective gallery (which mostly mimics Derpibooru’s uploads with worse tagging and sourcing, but that’s another matter I’ll address in time.)

Anywho, “4chan” is the second entry to appear in the search results using the search term “4chan,” and the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic entry is the first entry to appear with the search term “My Little Pony.”

You may also want to avoid bumping suggestions that are 4 months old unless you’ve tried to see if the matter hasn’t been addressed. If they’re legitimate and worrisome concerns, James has probably already addressed it. That seems to be the case here.

I appreciate use of the suggestion thread, even for smaller matters like the update in profile statistics, but only if it’s informed use of the thrad. No need to suggest a fix to something that’s already been fixed.

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:35PM EDT

“More obtainable Titles.”

Seeing how a handful of members have exceeded their top ranking by several times, I agree. Maybe give the Forum/Comments post a milestone at 5,000 and 10,000, Media Posts a milestone at 10,000, ect.

“Show Posts that have gotten Karma via clicking on the numbers.”

Okay, something like that seems like it would take a lot of work to go and code in. Something simpler would be to just show the karma in the “Forum Posts” Tab, but even then it’s a lot of work.

“Pie Charts update too slowly.”

Actually, it has gotten a great deal better over the past year. I don’t find myself having to force my profile to update anymore.

I suggest hiding a message under Ads so when people turn Adblock On, they get told to turn it back off.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:43PM EDT
  • Reduce sticky threads

In each boards, there are so many sticky threads, but several of them seem not to need to be threads. Inactive threads should be unsticked. Explanations for single topics should be moved to static web pages such as blog posts and FAQ pages.

Last edited Mar 20, 2013 at 12:37PM EDT
Mar 20, 2013 at 12:36PM EDT

Le bump

Hi, just a passing thought. How about a moderator ability that will allow us to unquote posts that have quoted another post?

This ability would be used on posts that unnecessarily quote enormously long posts which, when coupled with a stupid reply, is very annoying

EG: In the Nation RP games, there’s always somebody who quotes one of the GM’s massive posts with a one liner. Would be nice to be able to clean those up without having to delete the post and explain later.

May 21, 2013 at 10:33AM EDT

When you get email alerts for a thread you subscribe to, the link should take you to the last page, instead of the first, since (if you have been following along) you already know what happened previously, and probably want to get right to the new stuff. At the very least, a link to the last page of the thread should appear somewhere in the email.

Jun 06, 2013 at 01:14AM EDT

(I didn’t go threw every response here, so sorry if some of this has already been suggested/is being worked on)

1. The ability to choose between titles that you have had previously, for example I have enough editorships to be a Jr. Researcher and I am currently a Collector because of the amount of images I’ve uploaded, I’d like the ability to switch between them whenever I feel like it.

2. It should be required for someone to have their account be active for 30 days before they can make a Meme entry

3. Rather then having a “Body” text area for making an entry, have their be the respective section and each of the parts of an entry have their own text box. It will check what the entry is (Meme, Subculture, Event, etc) and then change the words between each text boxes respectively so that when it is done it will have all of the necessary sections. You also should not be able to post an entry if one of the boxes do not have text in them. Example:
(Meme Entry)
About (Can not change or remove this word, it is in the proper format)
[Editable body for text]
Origin (Can not change or remove this word, it is in the proper format)
[Editable body for text]
And for the other sections, with “Search Interest” being optional.

Jun 20, 2013 at 04:00PM EDT

It’d be great if we can preview our posts.
-This feature shows how the post should look like when it is published.
-This’ll be a way to see if an HTML code present is correct.

Jun 20, 2013 at 05:02PM EDT

In regards to Japanese memes, allowing videos to be posted from Nicoviewer would be a great help. Nico Nico Douga has many more possible videos for entries, however the site requires a login to be able to view them so it wouldn’t be helpful for this site. While Youtube is fantastic in many ways, it does not have the same volume of memes as is found on Nico Nico.

Nicoviewer however allows a video from Nico Nico Douga to be viewed without a Nico account, including the scrolling comments if someone wants them to be visible. I tried putting up a test video from the site however it was not supported. Allowing videos to be posted from the site would greatly help Japanese entries as we could link straight to the original video rather than searching through Youtube hoping for it to have been brought over.

Jun 29, 2013 at 01:29AM EDT

Veleth95 wrote:

In regards to Japanese memes, allowing videos to be posted from Nicoviewer would be a great help. Nico Nico Douga has many more possible videos for entries, however the site requires a login to be able to view them so it wouldn’t be helpful for this site. While Youtube is fantastic in many ways, it does not have the same volume of memes as is found on Nico Nico.

Nicoviewer however allows a video from Nico Nico Douga to be viewed without a Nico account, including the scrolling comments if someone wants them to be visible. I tried putting up a test video from the site however it was not supported. Allowing videos to be posted from the site would greatly help Japanese entries as we could link straight to the original video rather than searching through Youtube hoping for it to have been brought over.

KYM accepts niconico’s official embed player which doesn’t require a login. Although it doesn’t work in the colorbox popping up on pages, we can watch niconico’s original video in video gallery pages via the official embed player. Here is an example.

Jul 08, 2013 at 08:30PM EDT

Small suggestion for using <br> tags for <center> tag

I won’t make an issue of using “center” tag in HTML5 documents. But if KYM always requires margins before/after centered elements, we had better give margin to center tag by CSS.

This is much a smarter way than putting <br> tags in every time.

Last edited Jul 08, 2013 at 08:46PM EDT
Jul 08, 2013 at 08:44PM EDT

Every user has a “favorite images” section, right?

The images divided up into pages, depending on how many images you actually favorite.

Why not just make the “favorites page” infinitely scrollable, like the main image gallery is?

Jul 30, 2013 at 01:09AM EDT

Maybe to cut down on all those terrible one sentence entries. We make it impossible for Brand New Members to submit an entry until a week after signing up.

Last edited Aug 09, 2013 at 03:05PM EDT
Aug 09, 2013 at 03:03PM EDT

ChickenMicnugget wrote:

Maybe to cut down on all those terrible one sentence entries. We make it impossible for Brand New Members to submit an entry until a week after signing up.

We’ve had this discussion dozens of times. Long story short, no. BMNs sometimes submit useful stuff.

Aug 09, 2013 at 03:10PM EDT

While I was busy deleting countless spam threads last night, I got thinking about some more countermeasures other forums use.

One strategy that other forums use, which might be viable here is to prohibit your first forum posts from containing a URL or anchor block

I.E: you must have posted at least 1-5 times (without containing a URL) before you can enter a URL or anchor in your post. If you try to do this in your first post, the post is simply blocked at the submission stage and the user is informed that they must lurk moar.

If a human gets this message, they’ll just say the name of the website they wanted to post rather than type the URL. But humans often don’t come onto this website just to post a link anyway. Their first post will often just be a regular comment and it’s unlikely most people will encounter that

If a bot gets this message, they won’t read it and will just keep continually violating the block until they get auto-banned

Some spam software won’t post complete URL’s at first and they’ll get through this. (I WILL NOT say its name, just gonna link you to a discussion on it) But on average, all spam posts contain URL’s in their first post so it can nab at least some of them

Other anti-spam ideas:

Math based captchas = You never see these, but a senior web developer showed me this trick. It’s just a simple equation for the user to fill out like 2+2. That’s it. Bots don’t know what the fuck to do with that. Image captchas are easily decoded by bots, so they are practically useless. But I don’t think that same software is programmed to actually read two words and add up their mathematical result

Minimum allotted time to complete registration = No human could have possibly gotten registered in one second. Ban

The spam will never stop coming, even if nobody here clicks those links. As the above forum I linked suggests: most of the spam is intended to bump some site higher in google ranks

I’m posting this here in case anyone else also knows some viable methods

Aug 10, 2013 at 01:43AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!