Forums / Media / Video Games

7,047 total conversations in 207 threads

+ New Thread


Featured Featured
KYM Pokémon General

Last posted Dec 18, 2014 at 08:00AM EST. Added Jul 08, 2012 at 08:44PM EDT
1714 posts from 152 users

Speaking of customization, I really hope they add more variety to the customization than in X/Y. I really love May’s design so if they do indeed carry the designs over I’d most likely stick to the default if not close to the default. But still, it’d be nice to have clothing that isn’t just the same 10 pieces recolored over and over again and it’d also be nice to actually see what your hair is going to look like before you drop the 5,000 pokebucks in a salon. More haircolor variety would be nice too. Like an actual red hair color, none of this strawberry blond shit I had to settle with in X.

Who do you guys think is gonna be the champion for these remakes? Steven? Wallace? A new champion? Perhaps even a champion double battle with Steven and Wallace together? The possibilities are endless and it’s one of the few reasons I’ll try my best to avoid spoilers even though I usually don’t care all that much about being spoiled.

May 08, 2014 at 10:27PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Speaking of customization, I really hope they add more variety to the customization than in X/Y. I really love May’s design so if they do indeed carry the designs over I’d most likely stick to the default if not close to the default. But still, it’d be nice to have clothing that isn’t just the same 10 pieces recolored over and over again and it’d also be nice to actually see what your hair is going to look like before you drop the 5,000 pokebucks in a salon. More haircolor variety would be nice too. Like an actual red hair color, none of this strawberry blond shit I had to settle with in X.

Who do you guys think is gonna be the champion for these remakes? Steven? Wallace? A new champion? Perhaps even a champion double battle with Steven and Wallace together? The possibilities are endless and it’s one of the few reasons I’ll try my best to avoid spoilers even though I usually don’t care all that much about being spoiled.

Just Steven and Juan as 8th gym leader because he is like the Tony Stark of Pokemon. Wallace is lame,plain and simple.

May 08, 2014 at 10:33PM EDT
Quote

MaysJedi wrote:

Drew this. I also don’t know how to mark it for NSFW, so some help would be obliged.

It’s funny because I’m actually serious ;_;

Flannery got it goin’ onnnn~

She is my Pocket Monster waifu.

Last edited May 09, 2014 at 08:12AM EDT
May 08, 2014 at 11:25PM EDT
Quote

RandomMan wrote:

@MaysJedi

Regarding May (and Brendan for that matter), you are forgetting a very important point here regardless of whether they use May again or a new character:

Customization! Can you imagine? May with other hair styles and other clothes?

But this of course may also ruin the odds of May returning, as Pokemon X and Y did offer the option to change your skin color, while May and Brendan are both caucasian.


@Hastaman

If you are a fan, considering the few extra bucks for the limited edition would certainly be something to consider. I basically spend over 200 euros just so I could buy Pokemon X and Y when it was released, so I decided to go all out and got myself a bundle with the limited Blue Pokemon X and Y 3DS, which I’m very happy with.

Of course, they do cost some extra bucks, so it’s up to you what you’re willing to spend. But if you buy a bundle at the right place, the prize might differ maybe 10 euros/dollars, which isn’t much if you’re spending over 200 already anyways.


@TheMiketroid

That possibility has already been brought forward and milked out everywhere on the web. But considering the orbs and how they match to the Mega Stones, the possibility is certainly there, and can fit in easily with the Team Magma/Aqua plot in the games.

However, in the image Groudon and Kyogre just sparkle. I dunno about you, but gaining the ability to sparkle sounds like a really lame mega evolution to me.

I would like it if males got bandannas too for reasons. Was disappointing XY didn’t have them but instead had fedoras <

May 09, 2014 at 11:53AM EDT
Quote

MaysJedi wrote:

I would like it if males got bandannas too for reasons. Was disappointing XY didn’t have them but instead had fedoras <

Yes, but it was a worthwhile sacrifice to get a checkered fedora. Now that’s classy

May 09, 2014 at 12:49PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Yes, but it was a worthwhile sacrifice to get a checkered fedora. Now that’s classy

We were all thinking about that image.

May 09, 2014 at 06:47PM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

Yes, but it was a worthwhile sacrifice to get a checkered fedora. Now that’s classy

May 09, 2014 at 08:37PM EDT

Double posting, I don’t care~

Come at me, RandomMan.

Last edited May 13, 2014 at 05:54AM EDT
May 13, 2014 at 05:53AM EDT
Quote

@Owens

I’ll allow it.

Although, that sort of sneak peak doesn’t do anything for me. It’s obviously from a cutscene, so it doesn’t say anything about gameplay, anything regarding story changes, or anything with peripheries (e.g., Battle Frontier, contests, Secret Bases, TWO BIKES).

Last edited May 13, 2014 at 07:55AM EDT
May 13, 2014 at 07:55AM EDT

Verbose wrote:

@Owens

I’ll allow it.

Although, that sort of sneak peak doesn’t do anything for me. It’s obviously from a cutscene, so it doesn’t say anything about gameplay, anything regarding story changes, or anything with peripheries (e.g., Battle Frontier, contests, Secret Bases, TWO BIKES).

I know what you mean.

I MUST HAVE MORE.

May 16, 2014 at 03:07PM EDT
Quote

So RandomMan told me that I should drag my thread to here because he’s an asshole.

Predicts on Remake names

Sinnoh Remakes
-Quantum Diamond
-Cosmic Pearl
-Distorted Platinum
Unova Remakes
-Pitch Black
-Bright White
Kalos Remakes
-Capital X/Y

May 17, 2014 at 09:19PM EDT

So I just got a 2DS and X, and I’m trying to finish Black 2 before I start…and I just got stuck on the Champion and her fucking asshole Haxorus. I’m really pissed off, he’s countering every move I make.

May 18, 2014 at 12:01AM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

So I just got a 2DS and X, and I’m trying to finish Black 2 before I start…and I just got stuck on the Champion and her fucking asshole Haxorus. I’m really pissed off, he’s countering every move I make.

PROTIP: Use a bulky water type that can learn an ice-type move. Or just toss out a good Gyrados with a dragon-type move.

Last edited May 18, 2014 at 01:10PM EDT
May 18, 2014 at 01:09PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

So I just got a 2DS and X, and I’m trying to finish Black 2 before I start…and I just got stuck on the Champion and her fucking asshole Haxorus. I’m really pissed off, he’s countering every move I make.

Aerodactyl with Ice Fang or Dragon Claw

May 18, 2014 at 01:20PM EDT
Quote

PKMN Trainer Trollanort wrote:

PROTIP: Use a bulky water type that can learn an ice-type move. Or just toss out a good Gyrados with a dragon-type move.

Thanks for the tip, but it was already too late to change anything and I had prepared for the match accordingly. I was just venting really.

Also I won on the third try and I’ve moved on to X.

May 18, 2014 at 02:05PM EDT
Quote

I know we’ve moved on from the subject but I actually don’t remember what I did to the champ’s Haxorous in Black 2. I must have just ice punched it with Golurk or something.

Also what starter are you guys picking for the remakes? I imagine I’ll probably go with Torchic for old time’s sake.

May 18, 2014 at 02:31PM EDT

I used Flygon to lower the HP to the orange-redish, and when Flygon fainted, I used Crobat (with like 10 HP) to wing attack Hax until it fainted.


I for one can’t wait to anally wreck Wally and his waifu Gardevoir in 3D.

May 18, 2014 at 04:34PM EDT
Quote

Iamslow wrote:

Also what starter are you guys picking for the remakes? I imagine I’ll probably go with Torchic for old time’s sake.

As much as I do like Blaziken I was never on that fanboy train quite like everyone else was. Mudkip is usually my go-to and I do not intend to change that when I get the remakes. It sorta sucks that having Mudkip fills my water type slot when there’s so much variety of water types in this gen but either way I’m definitely putting Walrein on my team cus fuck the police that pokemon is awesome.

Speaking of, any of you guys got a team planned for the remakes? As much as I love Gardevoir I think I will sadly leave it out of my team this time around since I just used it in X and use it all the god damn time. I’m not sure about the whole team but I plan on having Marshtomp, Walrein, Absol, and maybe Tropius on my team.

May 18, 2014 at 05:38PM EDT
Quote

Iamslow wrote:

I know we’ve moved on from the subject but I actually don’t remember what I did to the champ’s Haxorous in Black 2. I must have just ice punched it with Golurk or something.

Also what starter are you guys picking for the remakes? I imagine I’ll probably go with Torchic for old time’s sake.

I’ll probably go with Treecko, just because I’ve used Mudkip and Torchic before. I’m also sorta partial to Grass-types, but Sceptile was never really appealing to me.

But now that I sorta have a competitive lens over my eyes, I might be able to make better use of it and appreciate it better.
 
I’m personally looking forward to the music. RSE had some really cool tunes. (And the ones I linked were just a few of my favorites.)

I’m looking forward to seeing if they keep the music as brass-tactic as they once did or if they decide to leave that tradition and go with more modern instrumentation like X and Y. (Or if they add a “Brass Sounds” like the GB Sounds function in HeartGold/SoulSilver, which I used the crap out of.)


Speaking of, any of you guys got a team planned for the remakes? As much as I love Gardevoir I think I will sadly leave it out of my team this time around since I just used it in X and use it all the god damn time. I’m not sure about the whole team but I plan on having Marshtomp, Walrein, Absol, and maybe Tropius on my team.

I don’t myself. I’m not sure if this’ll be a remake (as in same story, same pokemon distribution, etc.), but if it is, then I’ll play the game like I normally do: Catch everything, use what I need for gyms, and keep what I just so happen to like. That’s how end up liking pokemon like Lopunny, Lanturn, and Girafarig. They ended up being great in-game, so I can’t help but use them post-game.

It’s interesting you say you’re looking at raising up a Tropius. I raised one with Dragon Dance (it’s as hard to use as it seems,) and I’m working on another one now.
 
Tropius in Amie is adorable.

Last edited May 18, 2014 at 09:19PM EDT
May 18, 2014 at 08:29PM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

Also what starter are you guys picking for the remakes? I imagine I’ll probably go with Torchic for old time’s sake.

I’ll probably just choose Mudkip in honor of the Swampert I played through Emerald with way back in the day. Since B2 I’ve stopped using starters, so I’m planning on replacing it with a Breloom as soon as I can.

Crimson Locks wrote:

Speaking of, any of you guys got a team planned for the remakes? As much as I love Gardevoir I think I will sadly leave it out of my team this time around since I just used it in X and use it all the god damn time. I’m not sure about the whole team but I plan on having Marshtomp, Walrein, Absol, and maybe Tropius on my team.

I haven’t planned a team out in full, I just have a couple mons I’d like to use. I’d like to use a team of only Pokemon I’ve never used in a playthrough before (Breloom gets an exception, because that was once and a long time ago). I’m really hoping we get a way to catch Protean Kecleon in-game (maybe the two invisible ones, or hordes), because Kecleon would be a lot of fun.

May 18, 2014 at 11:28PM EDT

Iamslow wrote:

I know we’ve moved on from the subject but I actually don’t remember what I did to the champ’s Haxorous in Black 2. I must have just ice punched it with Golurk or something.

Also what starter are you guys picking for the remakes? I imagine I’ll probably go with Torchic for old time’s sake.

I forget what I did last week but I think it was mostly just luck and items.

As for the starter, there’s really no doubt about which one I’m going with:

Edit: do you guys know if there’s any way to look at the outfits outside of the game itself? I’m playing as a female, and I’d really like to see what the male wardrobe options are so I know what I’m missing out on.

Last edited May 24, 2014 at 11:37PM EDT
May 24, 2014 at 11:35PM EDT
Quote

@Fridge:
Doesn’t the boutique in Lumiose have a second floor dedicated to displaying outfits for the opposite gender?

May 25, 2014 at 12:05AM EDT
Quote

Crimson Locks wrote:

@Fridge:
Doesn’t the boutique in Lumiose have a second floor dedicated to displaying outfits for the opposite gender?

Yeah, but they’re just on the rack. I meant like trying stuff on. Like if there was a site that emulates it or something like that.

May 25, 2014 at 12:12AM EDT
Quote

not sure if i can do this here, but here we go

is anyone up for a trade?

i’m looking for a mew, any mew, in exchange i can give:

one victini with pokerus and or a shiny greninja with pokerus.

interested contact me via message

May 25, 2014 at 09:06PM EDT
Quote

There is one request I would like to make. I have been trying to not look at information for anime episodes until I see them on TV (in English) so I won’t be spoiled on what’s to happen. This is why I enjoyed the first DP season more because it wasn’t until the second DP series I started looking on Bulbapedia to know what episodes were up ahead, and it was soon I realized that watching it wasn’t as spectacular because I knew what was going to happen. So what I’m asking is to not post many new anime pictures that would give major events away in the Pokémon gallery if you please, or at least add a spoiler tag.

May 29, 2014 at 12:28PM EDT
Quote

I’m new here but I may as well ask. Does anyone have a Vivillion Safari? My number is
1478-4201-8970 and it comes with Dwebble, Macargo, and Barbarcle.

I’m also looking for a Swirlix Safari.

Last edited May 31, 2014 at 12:14AM EDT
May 31, 2014 at 12:11AM EDT
Quote

So seeing that Twitch Plays Pokémon is now doing a randomizer run-through of HeartGold, I feel like doing a randomizer run myself. Only problem is, I don’t know where to look for a randomizer seed. So, could someone please find a randomizer seed for Pokémon Ruby?

Jun 01, 2014 at 01:32AM EDT
Quote

Snarbolax wrote:

So seeing that Twitch Plays Pokémon is now doing a randomizer run-through of HeartGold, I feel like doing a randomizer run myself. Only problem is, I don’t know where to look for a randomizer seed. So, could someone please find a randomizer seed for Pokémon Ruby?

Actually, disregard what I posted there. I managed to find the Randomizer for Pokémon Emerald and started today. So far, my current team consists of a Lairon, an Elekid, a Suicune, a Croconaw, a Pineco, and an Ivysaur. I’ve got 2 badges, and I’m on my way to Maville City.

Jun 01, 2014 at 11:59PM EDT
Quote

There is no hope for any of us. All is lost.


Before The End of Days though, check out that ORAS title theme.

And compare it to the original. (Gets into the actual theme at about 0:34.)

It is sufficiently brassy, and therefore I feel like this is going to have music that will adequately honor the tradition of RSE.
 
(Still holding out hope for a GB Sounds in-game app except it’s called “GBA Sounds” where all instrumentation is brass.)

Last edited Jun 12, 2014 at 02:20PM EDT
Jun 12, 2014 at 02:18PM EDT

For the record, I don’t name my Pokemon.

Last edited Jun 19, 2014 at 04:04AM EDT
Jun 19, 2014 at 04:03AM EDT
Quote
For the record, I don’t name my Pokemon.

You sick monster.

Jun 19, 2014 at 03:45PM EDT
Quote

I hope Emerald Battle Frontier and 6th Gen Move Tutors appear in OR/AS

Jun 22, 2014 at 02:58PM EDT
Quote

I hope they have more of a post game than the originals or X and Y. Both of them seemingly went with the “large initial region” strategy instead of the “small region/large postgame” one exploited in generations II, IV, and V. I loved Emerald so much that when I finished it I just ran around visiting different locations talking to NPCs on and off for years. I think I might do the same with X. Generation V, however, didn’t give me the same desire. I haven’t even picked up Black 2 since I beat the Champ a few weeks ago, and there’s a huge postgame to that. Basically, while I’d prefer a compelling maingame to an expansive postgame, it’d be nice if we’d get a little more afterward. I think in X and Y they took some stuff out to give us the more complex environments, so to Nintendo/Game Freak’s credit, they did get a lot in. It’d be nice if there was a little more afterward, exploration-wise. Maybe in Z.

Anyway, I have a friend code now! It’s 0275-9306-3726. Mario Kart and Pokemon X.

Jun 22, 2014 at 03:50PM EDT
Quote

Found a page that has Gen 6 3D Models
http://www.pkparaiso.com/xy/sprites_pokemon.php

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:25PM EDT
Quote

I just realized that no one has posted Duplica.

Safebooru, Deviantart, Pixiv, even the, uh, less “savory” sites don’t have much Duplica/Imite.
 
 
Makes me sad…

Jun 26, 2014 at 09:46PM EDT

Owens wrote:

Sometimes, I wish that they had a disease that was the exact oposite of pokerus, y’know?

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:44PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

I hope they have more of a post game than the originals or X and Y. Both of them seemingly went with the “large initial region” strategy instead of the “small region/large postgame” one exploited in generations II, IV, and V. I loved Emerald so much that when I finished it I just ran around visiting different locations talking to NPCs on and off for years. I think I might do the same with X. Generation V, however, didn’t give me the same desire. I haven’t even picked up Black 2 since I beat the Champ a few weeks ago, and there’s a huge postgame to that. Basically, while I’d prefer a compelling maingame to an expansive postgame, it’d be nice if we’d get a little more afterward. I think in X and Y they took some stuff out to give us the more complex environments, so to Nintendo/Game Freak’s credit, they did get a lot in. It’d be nice if there was a little more afterward, exploration-wise. Maybe in Z.

Anyway, I have a friend code now! It’s 0275-9306-3726. Mario Kart and Pokemon X.

Well, it is time for me to pitch in on my thoughts. I loved Hoenn simply because it felt so huge and explorable. Emerald just made the generation my absolute favorite with the borderline endless Postgame, the Battle Frontier. The Gen 4 Battle Frontier felt gimmicky and the endless onslaught of cheating jerks, (And the horror that is Quick Claw Horn Drill Rhydon) but Gen 3 really gave me the feeling that I was somewhere where the Elite Four Champion didn’t mean a damn. And fighting the Frontier Brains with dat music? Rammed it in full-swing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d still love to see the PWT from Black/White 2 make a return, but the Battle Frontier with that remastered Frontier Brain theme? JESUS. Can’t wait. Pokemon X and Y disappointed me with the postgame. The Battle Maison just felt annoying and long as hell, and the side-quests felt unfulfilling. I still loved the maingame while it lasted. But I’m praying that Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire (And possibly Delta Emerald) will provide a great postgame. Also it Red and Blue ever get remade again, I’d love to see more of the Sevii Islands, or better yet, exploring Johto!
Jul 02, 2014 at 02:38PM EDT
Quote

I have a little question. Is Return a worthy move? Is there a limit for the friendship stat? If there is, how much is it?

Jul 02, 2014 at 05:03PM EDT
Quote

Digoxin wrote:

I have a little question. Is Return a worthy move? Is there a limit for the friendship stat? If there is, how much is it?

That largely depends. Return is a potent move, capping at a maximum power of 102 . However, Normal is a lackluster offensive type without STAB, and often the Pokemon you’d be using Return with have access to better moves with secondary effects (like Body Slam).

Verbose knows how I feel about Normal moves >_>

I can count the number of worthy damaging Normal moves on one hand. Return is fortunately among them, but that doesn’t mean it’s super awesome. I wouldn’t bother with Return at all without STAB, and even if whatever you’re using does get STAB, check to see if it can learn anything better first. 102 power is pretty great, but I’d rather have a chance at Paralysis over that extra 12 power any day of the week.

Last edited Jul 02, 2014 at 06:44PM EDT
Jul 02, 2014 at 06:36PM EDT
Quote

Digoxin wrote:

I have a little question. Is Return a worthy move? Is there a limit for the friendship stat? If there is, how much is it?

I think you’ll find that most competitive players prefer other moves to Return.

  • It’s not Super Effective against anything.
  • It’s resisted by two types (i.e., Steel/Rock).
  • It’s ineffective against another type (i.e., Ghost).
  • It doesn’t have any potential added effects.
  • To get a same-type bonus (STAB) added to Return, you have to be a Normal-type Pokémon, which leaves you somewhat vulnerable, because Normal-type Pokémon don’t resist anything, but you are weak to a type of attack (i.e., Fighting.)
    • And even though Ghost-type moves don’t affect Normal-type Pokémon at all, your STAB moves as a Normal-type Pokémon will also be ineffective against Ghosts. Also most Ghost-types have stuff like Will-o-Wisp, which will cripple most Normal-types.

Without buffs, you’re probably not going to knock out a Pokémon in one use of Return. You may not even be able to knock an opponent out in two hits.
 
With that said, I do like Return.

  • It has over 100 Base Power, which is stronger than moves like Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Zen Headbutt, and even the nigh almighty Earthquake.
  • It has 100 Accuracy, meaning you’ll never miss in normal (ha!) circumstances. Missing with Focus Blast (70 Accuracy) or High Jump Kick (90 Accuracy but massive recoil if you do miss) may lose a battle.
  • If buffed up properly, any 100 Base Power attack can sweep a team. Due to it having so few resistances (i.e., 3), you can do some serious damage if you prepare right (and if most are honest, most sweeps require buffs, preparation, and timing anyway.)
  • With STAB, you’re hitting with 150 Base Power. That’s a lot.

In terms of Pokémon that perform well in online battles for me, Lopunny with Silk Scarf and Power-Up Punch has swept teams before with Return, because:

  • Lopunny gets STAB on Return.
  • Return doesn’t miss without stat changes.
  • Silk Scarf and STAB further boosts Fake Out
  • Lopunny has 105 Base Speed, a Jolly nature, and full Speed EV investments, meaning it will outspeed just about everything.
  • Lopunny has 80+ Defense, 90+ Special Defense, and one weakness, meaning it will probably survive one unboosted hit.

A STAB, Silk Scarf’d Fake Out, a Power-Up Punch to boost Attack, surviving one hit, and a STAB, Silk Scarf’d Return will threaten to knock out anything without defensive stats, defensive typing, or defensive investments.
 
But that’s preparation, situation, timing, and prediction. It can usually only get a Pokémon into the critical range for HP with that set, and that’s only if I’m smart and lucky.


The thing I say is that a lot of moves are useful, but the main thing is to know the game of “Pokémon.” You’ll find that many Normal-type Pokémon can use other moves to better effect than Return, and you may find that Return is a safe, competent bet for neutral coverage for Pokémon who don’t get the STAB bonus.

If you know the game, if you know other Pokémon, and if you know what sets you’re likely to see, then you can make up “counter” sets that can challenge competitive teams and even beat them using your own favorites.


As for the Friendship thing, the power does cap at 102 or 105 like Owens said.

Jul 02, 2014 at 07:20PM EDT

^See that’s the problem with the whole “gotta catch ’em all” thing. You can’t do it without getting attached.

Jul 04, 2014 at 11:29PM EDT
Quote

Fridge wrote:

^See that’s the problem with the whole “gotta catch ’em all” thing. You can’t do it without getting attached.

Pretty much. It’s why I end up playing with a lot of beginning-of-the-game Pokémon even in later games.

But, if you’d like to think of it another way, you might consider yourself a friend to a caught Pokémon that you evolved through friendship. And then once you released them, they go on their way having learned a lot from you. Not every friend you have will be with you forever, but you don’t necessarily lose those friends because they wronged you or because you wronged them. Sometimes you just grow apart. But until then, you do grow up and share fun times together.

If you do feel bad about it, I’d hope people would consider releasing their Pokémon into the wild so they can at least do what they want.
 
For reasons in-universe and between players, people who just catch easy-to-find Pokémon and then spin them off on Wonder Trade are just pretty sad folks. I usually try to Wonder Trade Pokémon I’ve bred either with IVs or Egg Moves, and I always try to send them off with a useful Berry. So even if they don’t like the Pokémon, they at least can get a Berry for being my trade partner.


Jul 04, 2014 at 11:48PM EDT

Verbose wrote:

I think you’ll find that most competitive players prefer other moves to Return.

  • It’s not Super Effective against anything.
  • It’s resisted by two types (i.e., Steel/Rock).
  • It’s ineffective against another type (i.e., Ghost).
  • It doesn’t have any potential added effects.
  • To get a same-type bonus (STAB) added to Return, you have to be a Normal-type Pokémon, which leaves you somewhat vulnerable, because Normal-type Pokémon don’t resist anything, but you are weak to a type of attack (i.e., Fighting.)
    • And even though Ghost-type moves don’t affect Normal-type Pokémon at all, your STAB moves as a Normal-type Pokémon will also be ineffective against Ghosts. Also most Ghost-types have stuff like Will-o-Wisp, which will cripple most Normal-types.

Without buffs, you’re probably not going to knock out a Pokémon in one use of Return. You may not even be able to knock an opponent out in two hits.
 
With that said, I do like Return.

  • It has over 100 Base Power, which is stronger than moves like Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Zen Headbutt, and even the nigh almighty Earthquake.
  • It has 100 Accuracy, meaning you’ll never miss in normal (ha!) circumstances. Missing with Focus Blast (70 Accuracy) or High Jump Kick (90 Accuracy but massive recoil if you do miss) may lose a battle.
  • If buffed up properly, any 100 Base Power attack can sweep a team. Due to it having so few resistances (i.e., 3), you can do some serious damage if you prepare right (and if most are honest, most sweeps require buffs, preparation, and timing anyway.)
  • With STAB, you’re hitting with 150 Base Power. That’s a lot.

In terms of Pokémon that perform well in online battles for me, Lopunny with Silk Scarf and Power-Up Punch has swept teams before with Return, because:

  • Lopunny gets STAB on Return.
  • Return doesn’t miss without stat changes.
  • Silk Scarf and STAB further boosts Fake Out
  • Lopunny has 105 Base Speed, a Jolly nature, and full Speed EV investments, meaning it will outspeed just about everything.
  • Lopunny has 80+ Defense, 90+ Special Defense, and one weakness, meaning it will probably survive one unboosted hit.

A STAB, Silk Scarf’d Fake Out, a Power-Up Punch to boost Attack, surviving one hit, and a STAB, Silk Scarf’d Return will threaten to knock out anything without defensive stats, defensive typing, or defensive investments.
 
But that’s preparation, situation, timing, and prediction. It can usually only get a Pokémon into the critical range for HP with that set, and that’s only if I’m smart and lucky.


The thing I say is that a lot of moves are useful, but the main thing is to know the game of “Pokémon.” You’ll find that many Normal-type Pokémon can use other moves to better effect than Return, and you may find that Return is a safe, competent bet for neutral coverage for Pokémon who don’t get the STAB bonus.

If you know the game, if you know other Pokémon, and if you know what sets you’re likely to see, then you can make up “counter” sets that can challenge competitive teams and even beat them using your own favorites.


As for the Friendship thing, the power does cap at 102 or 105 like Owens said.

There is a lot of misinformation in this post.

Return is a fantastic move. 102 power and 100 accuracy is phenomenal, and the fact that every Pokemon that can learn TMs can learn it is a bonus. Return is almost a necessity for any physically-based Normal types (which is most of them). Snorlax, Mega Kangaskhan, Diggersby, and Ambipom are just a few examples of Pokemon which almost always use Return. It’s even useful on non-Normal types as a coverage move, such as Azumarill, Klinklang, and even Gyarados occasionally.

In short, you can’t go wrong with Return, and it’s a fine choice on any physical moveset.

Jul 05, 2014 at 07:18PM EDT
Quote

By the way, 2014 Pokemon U.S. National Championships are going on now. Actually, they’re almost over. Come watch some TCG matches.

http://www.twitch.tv/Pokemon

Last edited Jul 05, 2014 at 07:20PM EDT
Jul 05, 2014 at 07:19PM EDT
Quote

Hey! You must login or signup first!