Forums / Media / Video Games

38,577 total conversations in 2,693 threads

+ New Thread

Rollercoaster Tycoon General

Last posted Jul 16, 2014 at 10:55AM EDT. Added Jul 14, 2014 at 03:07PM EDT
17 posts from 9 users

I loved this game when I was a kid. I never did any sadistic stuff, I just really liked building stuff. I found out how to manipulate levels to make them sandboxes. If I still had a computer that runs XP I would be playing it 24/7.

Fridge wrote:

I loved this game when I was a kid. I never did any sadistic stuff, I just really liked building stuff. I found out how to manipulate levels to make them sandboxes. If I still had a computer that runs XP I would be playing it 24/7.

Downside: you can't do that with Loopy Landscapes installed.

Upside: You can create a no-money, 10 roller coaster scenario in RCT2 (closest to a sandbox) and there is a sandbox mode in RCT3. This is one of my old sandboxes, for example:

Twenty-One wrote:

After the mobile game this franchise makes me want to cry. Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 is still one of my favourite games though.

Here, let me break it down for you. This is what you can do in RCT2:

Then, RCT3 came along, allowing you to do things like this:

So what's the next logical step? Something with the graphical capabilities and coaster-building freedom of No Limits, right?

Haha… WRONG.

It actually does bring a tear to your eye.

I never really liked RCT3. I felt the sandbox was a little restrictive, to be honest. It was a flat field. You had to do a lot to make it workable. In 2 you just saved a level as an unrestricted scenario and could paint whatever you wanted on that canvas.

I fucking loved the RCT series. The third one was my fav. You could mod the shit out of it and do stuff like this…

(That's space mountain, btw.)
The only thing I didn't like about 2 and 3 was that you would spend hours making the most badass coaster on the planet, and nobody rides it. But you spend 4 minutes making a ride, and people flock to it like birds. (This problem was especially prominent in RCT2. You could make a simple circle with a single bump, and people would like it more than the big coaster. Kinda reminds me of this episode of Spongebob…)

Last edited Jul 15, 2014 at 12:43AM EDT
The only thing I didn’t like about 2 and 3 was that you would spend hours making the most badass coaster on the planet, and nobody rides it. But you spend 4 minutes making a ride, and people flock to it like birds. (This problem was especially prominent in RCT2. You could make a simple circle with a single bump, and people would like it more than the big coaster. Kinda reminds me of this episode of Spongebob…)

Keep intensity in mind. That huge coaster probably has a pretty damn high intensity rating, meaning some peeps won't ride it. Also, if you're running a scenario with money, consider an advertising campaign for that ride, whether it be a general ad or vouchers for free rides.

RCT3 easily had the best game mechanics IMO (No sandbox? boo) but RCT1-2 had much more cohesive graphics than RCT3, and as a plus it was all 2D which gave it something of a surreal feel to it, and I enjoy that in any video game. Though to be fair, I never got the chance to play RCT2, and part of the reason I played RCT3 so much more was because of my pent-up aggression with RCT1's loan interest.

Here's a couple of things from my current parks…

Here's a few things from a sonic-themed park I made. I currently have city escape finished, I'm planning to add Marble Zone, Emerald Hill Zone, Launch Base Zone, Foilage Furnace Zone, and Rooftop Run.

And here's my (nearly finished) park I made for fun. I have 2 more rides left to make and it'll be done.

General Shi Gai wrote:

Here's a couple of things from my current parks…

Here's a few things from a sonic-themed park I made. I currently have city escape finished, I'm planning to add Marble Zone, Emerald Hill Zone, Launch Base Zone, Foilage Furnace Zone, and Rooftop Run.

And here's my (nearly finished) park I made for fun. I have 2 more rides left to make and it'll be done.

None of those pictures are working, buddy.

Actually, I made a coaster in RCT2 just now.

It's a B&M floorless coaster. Its name? "Osiris: God of Death".

The ending section of the ride, including a pair of interlocking corkscrews and a turn around a mini-Sphinx.

The lift hill, 165-foot first drop into a tunnel, 100-foot vertical loop, and 105-foot dive loop are prominent in this shot. You can also see the part after the mid-course break run.

Speaking of that brake run, here it is, along with the zero-G roll and cobra roll.

And finally, a look inside the station complex reveals a 360-degree helix before the train begins its ascent.
Last edited Jul 15, 2014 at 08:51PM EDT

I grew up with and loved RTC1 and 2 (including the expansions of 1), but only recently did I really get good at them. I still can't beat all the scenarios in RTC1 though.

RCT3 I found very underwhelming and I haven't played that in a long time.

The franchise may be dead and this new installement may be the worst thing since AIDS, but I don't think they can recreate that classic RTC charm anyway. Especially if it's in 3D and if it has free camera control. It needs to be at least isometric.

But with two games plus expansions and a scenario-creator in RTC2 there's enough to do.

Also, making good rollercoasters was a bitch.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!