Forums / Media / Video Games

38,598 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

"Why GamerGate made me depressed"

Last posted Sep 25, 2014 at 12:25AM EDT. Added Sep 22, 2014 at 04:49PM EDT
11 posts from 6 users

(I don't really know where to put this topic, but i guess the video games section should do)

Gamergate has been quite a ride guys. We fought for the creative freedom of gamers and devs everywhere! And we went against the tide of relentless mainstream media bullcrap thrown at us. And we're still far from finished, we're going to purge our media from the massive armies of SJW even if we have to annihilate game journalism to do it.

But this fight has become a terrible burden on me. I keep talking to people i know about the issue, i try making them understand that the SJW's way is not the right one.
And as time goes by, i see more and more people i loved, some i even adored turn to this bigotry.

So i just wanted to create a topic so that everybody could tell of the most horrid blow you got during this whole affair.

The worst moment during GamerGate for me, was when i saw this
I saw the guy that i had made a presentation at school about, turn into a person that despised me. I cried, for real, i still feel immensely sad when i think about it.
This guy is one of the major reasons i want to become a game dev. I loved every single game he made. I adored him.
And now i know that he considers me a savage, a misogynistic biggot, that i'm not a fan of his because i don't support corruption in game journalism or in gaming in general.
I feel all of my childhood heroes slip away from my heart, first my father, then Robin Williams and Richard Attenborough and now Schaffer.
It is a deep and cold feeling, i feel like i'm becoming an adult, and not in the nice way. This whole situation is making me feel so bad i swear.
As someone who always fought to make people see that video games are more than just mindless entertainment, but an amazing way to tell stories and immerse people into worlds unseen, i have the impression that all i have done was in vain.
Good night gentlement, i wish you a good night and i hope we're not fighting for a dead cause.

Seeing WizardChan get assaulted. Those guys were a lot like me, hell, it was what made me want to see Quinn fall all along. I hope this conflict ends soon so we can all reminisce on how crazy shit got…
But seriously. There were truly tears flowing down my face that day. I just have to say, I hope the guys over at WizardChan are all getting better at least.

why do people get this involved in this sort of thing??

is it impossible to just like video games? honestly, i have no sympathy for you, you're in too deep to this baloney, maybe you should just stop worrying about "sjws" and just go back to playing and enjoying games like regular people.

Captain Blubber wrote:

why do people get this involved in this sort of thing??

is it impossible to just like video games? honestly, i have no sympathy for you, you're in too deep to this baloney, maybe you should just stop worrying about "sjws" and just go back to playing and enjoying games like regular people.

Well maybe i am too deep in this. But for me, video games are something more you know? I dream of seeing this medium become a form of art as revered as all of the others arts.
So seeing sjws try to tear this dream down is too much for me, i have to react.
But i can see your point of view, i'm not trying to gather sympathy, i just needed to say what i felt that's all.

IkaNam The Incongruous wrote:

Well maybe i am too deep in this. But for me, video games are something more you know? I dream of seeing this medium become a form of art as revered as all of the others arts.
So seeing sjws try to tear this dream down is too much for me, i have to react.
But i can see your point of view, i'm not trying to gather sympathy, i just needed to say what i felt that's all.

well, i can't see video games becoming less of an art form because it's being criticized. art is always going to be tied to art criticism, no one is trying to steal your games, they just want to make games more diverse and if you really cared about it being an art form you should be able to accept diversity.

Captain Blubber wrote:

well, i can't see video games becoming less of an art form because it's being criticized. art is always going to be tied to art criticism, no one is trying to steal your games, they just want to make games more diverse and if you really cared about it being an art form you should be able to accept diversity.

But they're not simply criticizing it, they're going out of their way to calomny it. To make it seem more sexist than it is and worst of all, they're trying to silence the creative freedom of the devs. (remember the dragon's crown scandal? Shit was completly stupid, for me the knight and dwarf were as ridiculous as the sorceress)
They're trying to make it become politicaly correct, and that always meant the death of all medium that faced this change.

Captain Blubber wrote:

Anti-GG's aren't criticizing games or gamers objectively, they're attacking them. Nor do anti-GG's want diverse games, they want the exact opposite of that.

IkaNam The Incongruous wrote:

But they're not simply criticizing it, they're going out of their way to calomny it. To make it seem more sexist than it is and worst of all, they're trying to silence the creative freedom of the devs. (remember the dragon's crown scandal? Shit was completly stupid, for me the knight and dwarf were as ridiculous as the sorceress)
They're trying to make it become politicaly correct, and that always meant the death of all medium that faced this change.

the biggest problem with video games in my opinion versus say, movies and books is that they for the most part made by biggest studios with larger budgets. it's not like the early 90s where 6 guys can work for a couple months and come out with a widespread release like DOOM. That's why i think the most positive thing to come out of this was supporting the independant devs. Unlike dragon's crown, where things were changed so that people wouldn't boycott it and they wouldn't see the returns they needed to produce games, independant developers can create whatever games they want for whatever group of people they see fit.

(this is all without saying I personally do not agree with what you said about the knight and dwarf, but that's not the issue)

feminist criticism will not kill video gaming as an art form anymore then say, another CoD rehash. Video games are made by fairly large companies and they will always be persuaded by the consumer, if you have a real issue with what they've done, don't buy the product. Be sure to financially support small independent developers whose projects you are interested in.

and most of all please do not get depression from tweets.

@tillsterrulz

i'm unsure how wanting to see changes in video game tropes is at all anti-diversity. re: attacking everything i have seen so far is just mean tweets, i don't think there has ever been a gamergate-related assault case

Last edited Sep 22, 2014 at 06:08PM EDT

Captain Blubber wrote:

the biggest problem with video games in my opinion versus say, movies and books is that they for the most part made by biggest studios with larger budgets. it's not like the early 90s where 6 guys can work for a couple months and come out with a widespread release like DOOM. That's why i think the most positive thing to come out of this was supporting the independant devs. Unlike dragon's crown, where things were changed so that people wouldn't boycott it and they wouldn't see the returns they needed to produce games, independant developers can create whatever games they want for whatever group of people they see fit.

(this is all without saying I personally do not agree with what you said about the knight and dwarf, but that's not the issue)

feminist criticism will not kill video gaming as an art form anymore then say, another CoD rehash. Video games are made by fairly large companies and they will always be persuaded by the consumer, if you have a real issue with what they've done, don't buy the product. Be sure to financially support small independent developers whose projects you are interested in.

and most of all please do not get depression from tweets.

@tillsterrulz

i'm unsure how wanting to see changes in video game tropes is at all anti-diversity. re: attacking everything i have seen so far is just mean tweets, i don't think there has ever been a gamergate-related assault case

Even if they are anti-trope, they're only about women and are non-inclusive of men related tropes. Men are being displayed as huge badasses with big muscles who shoot everything and have sex with beautiful helpless women who can't do anything. But of course that trope is just a power fantasy and is just pandering to the male audience like sexy women are. But still, most of these examples of tropes are cherry picked to the extreme, they are small examples and ignore the entire idea or concept of the game they take part in.

I'm not talking about physical harm, but rather enforcing negative stereotypes on games and gamers themselves. Whether or not they are just mean tweets, they are putting a false definition to a large group of people. Kinda like how those darn video games with sexy women are promoting misogyny and sexism, right? And let's not forget the DDoS attacks on various websites and promoters of GG like TYFC and TheEscapist.

These people aren't fighting for real equality, they are misandric people who want to remain in their little bubble invincible to criticism where they can say and do anything they want. Playing the victim card when someone says you're not a special snowflake is not fighting for equality, neither is using minorities as a shield to justify corruption and censorship.

@blubber
"i’m unsure how wanting to see changes in video game tropes is at all anti-diversity. re: attacking everything i have seen so far is just mean tweets, i don’t think there has ever been a gamergate-related assault case"

there has also been cases of doxxing, death threats, and people calling jobs of gamergate people to get them fired or some shit.

its pretty much shit slinging all around, no side is safe (im sure there is some real GG assholes doing the same, bullies will be bullies)

and its not like gamergate wants white straight male able bodied characters with helpless damsels in all games as a norm for anti-GG to antagonize them as much as they do.

Last edited Sep 22, 2014 at 08:06PM EDT

@blubber
I highly recommend that you read this.

As for the main topic, I believe their is a saying about never meeting your heroes because you will be disappointed; or something to that effect. In this case I can sympathies especially so, since I share your pain to a degree. It's surprising how heart wrenching it can be to have someone you respected just turn around and show how purposely ignorant (and)or hateful they really are.

Trying to be optimistic, while a majority of the entities in this whole debacle I had no stake in, the few I did care for who supported this farce did sting when they showed their true colors. However I found so many more places that are deserving of attention, and strengthen my respect for several other people.

Last edited Sep 25, 2014 at 12:27AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!