Forums / Media / Video Games

38,574 total conversations in 2,693 threads

+ New Thread

Ok KYM, I'm getting a Wii U soon....What games do I get?

Last posted Oct 21, 2014 at 01:05PM EDT. Added Oct 19, 2014 at 12:39PM EDT
24 posts from 21 users

Hyrule Warriors is a must, before a certain someone recommends it.
Also, try for Wind Waker HD and MK8, and if you're interested, Sonic Lost World.

The Wonderful 101 can be found for 30 dollars or cheaper and is totally worth it, especially since you're considering Bayonetta 2. For platformers I recommend Super Mario 3D World for a 3D platformer and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze for a 2D sidescrolling platformer. Also David Wise made one hell of a great and epic soundtrack on Tropical Freeze which the game is worth it just for that.

Hyrule Warriors, Wind Waker, Donkey Kong, Sonic Lost World, MK8. Those are the best ones I have. Oh yeah, and Mario 3D World. The top three in order for me would be Warriors, MK8, and Lost World. (Wind Waker would be a favorite, but it doesn't really count because you know, remake. I still recommend it though, especially if you never played it before.)

Best games on Wii U are:
-Pikmin 3
-Mario 3D World
-Wind Waker
-Wonderful 101
-Mario Kart 8
-Hyrule Warriors
-Rayman Legends
-Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Some good download titles to check out too are:
-Shovel Knight
-Mighty Switch Force
-Steam World Dig
-Earthbound
-Fire Emblem
-Advance Wars
-Wario Ware
-Child of Light

Mario Kart 8 is currently the best game for the system, IMO.

Mario 3D World, Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends are all great platformers, so be sure to get at least one of those.

The Wonderful 101 is a game that's pretty cheap apparentely, so you can't go wrong with that one. It's awesome.

Earthbound is of course mandatory. It's just as long as any modern game, and one of the best games of all time, so it easily justifies it's price.

I don't know why people are recommending Sonic Lost World, though.

If you can afford DLC, Hyrule Warriors has a lot of content to offer. Same with Mario Kart 8, and to an extent, Pikmin 3. Wind Waker HD is great if you missed your chance with the original Gamecube version, or you just want to play it again. Tropical Freeze is my favorite Wii U game, and I definitely recommend it if you love platformers.

Since you're getting Bayo 2, you can enjoy more of Platinum's fantasticness with Wonderful 101.

I haven't checked the downloadables in a while. But I know it has Earthbound, Shovel Knight and Child of Light. All great, and at fair prices to boot.

Any specific genre(s) you like?

The only Wii U game I own, aside from Nintendoland, which it came with, is Hyrule Warriors. I highly recommend it, just as Trollanort predicted.

Beyond that, I recommend Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, specifically over the 3DS version. A larger screen and better sound quality will improve your survivability quite a bit. (Not to mention make the music sound awesome. I love the theme in Moga Village.) Plus that game will bring the ergonomic issues of the handheld front and painfully center. You also need a Wii U to play online regardless, as you'd still need to download a data transfer tool to play the 3DS game online.

If you have an original Wii, you can transfer your save data and Shop Channel purchases to the new console. And the Pikmin will carry it for you. They're such nice little guys.

A bit of a underrated gem, but I highly recommend searching for it. Its basically grand theft auto with legos.

Other titles I recommend are Zombii U and Sonic Lost World. Games you should put on your Waiting List is Zelda U, Splatoon, and the next Star Fox Title. I would also suggest getting the Wii U Smash Bundle.

thegreato wrote:

I'm finally caving and getting one.

Super Smash Bros and Bayonetta 2 are already on the list…..fire away.

Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

unusedusername wrote:

A bit of a underrated gem, but I highly recommend searching for it. Its basically grand theft auto with legos.

Other titles I recommend are Zombii U and Sonic Lost World. Games you should put on your Waiting List is Zelda U, Splatoon, and the next Star Fox Title. I would also suggest getting the Wii U Smash Bundle.

I never realized ZombiU was basically a remake of Ubisoft's very first game.

Out of the many good quality platformers on the Wii U, I'd argue you should get Rayman Legends first. It has some of the most refined and high-quality platforming ever; and skims the fat off of the genre, whilst having replayability, innovation and joy everywhere.

Shovel Knight is equally as excellent, but in very different ways. The music in this is godly, and the difficulty is perfect.

Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong are both good, but Shovel Knight and Rayman Legends are true masterpieces.

Wonderful 101 is very good as well; maybe a little bit obtuse initially, but when you it clicks, it is brilliant.

Most of the games I can recommend have already been mentioned.

• Mario Kart cus mandatory.
  • Smash cus likewise.
  • Wonderful 101 is a really good game but just woefully underappreciated by critics.
  • Tropical Freeze is a great platformer, and brings back old school difficulty.
  • Hyrule Warriors cus fucking get it, it's sweet. Also buy the season pass.
  • Wind Waker HD if you haven't played Wind Waker yet is a must get.

RandomMan wrote:

Most of the games I can recommend have already been mentioned.

• Mario Kart cus mandatory.
  • Smash cus likewise.
  • Wonderful 101 is a really good game but just woefully underappreciated by critics.
  • Tropical Freeze is a great platformer, and brings back old school difficulty.
  • Hyrule Warriors cus fucking get it, it's sweet. Also buy the season pass.
  • Wind Waker HD if you haven't played Wind Waker yet is a must get.

Huh. I found Tropical Freeze the easiest of all 5 DKC games. It didn't get challenging until the last regular world, in my opinion.
Getting all the bonus stuff is pretty hard, though, but that's expected.

NES Remix (download only) is a great value and tons of frustrating, piss-you-the-fuck-off fun, even if you already own most of the games on it. Some of those challenges are just purely diabolical- exactly the way Nintendo is supposed to be.

Oh yeah, for downloadables, I recommend Shovel Knight, Super Metroid, and Metroid Fusion. I would recommend a bunch of Megaman games and Earthbound, but being completely honest, I don't like those games, but I still recommend getting them to see for yourself if you like them. For Megaman, it'd probably be 2 or X.

Games:

• MK8
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Wind Waker HD
  • Need for Speed Most Wanted U
  • Pikmin 3
  • New Super Mario Bros U
  • Game & Wario (If you find it for a really low price. I don't recommend paying full price for it.)
  • Rayman Legends
    Downloads:
  • Little Inferno
  • Knytt Underground
  • EarthBound
  • Megaman X games (especially 2 and 3 because the original SNES games are rare and expensive.)
  • Nano Assault Neo
Last edited Oct 20, 2014 at 09:31PM EDT

Wonderful 101 is an absolute necessity.
Dong Country: Tropickle Cheese is great if you like challenging platformers.
Mario Kart 8 is a classic.
Wind Waker HD if you haven't played the original.
Super Mario 3D World is a fun 3D platformer.
Hyrule Warriors is awesome.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!