Forums / Media / Video Games

38,574 total conversations in 2,693 threads

+ New Thread

Favorite Video Game OST

Last posted Nov 14, 2014 at 02:19AM EST. Added Oct 21, 2014 at 02:03AM EDT
47 posts from 41 users

There wasn't a thread for whole OSTs so I figured "why not".

Pretty self explanatory. What video games had the best soundtracks overall. For me both Bastion and Transistor stand out.

I'll just post the entire Donkey Kong Country trilogy OSTs. I love how in the first game it has a more moody feel, while the second has an epic feel, and the third has a laid back feel. But I also really love the beautiful songs they have in all of them. My favorite tracks in no particular order are Aquatic Ambiance (1), Fear Factory (1), Life in the Mines (1), Forest Interlude (2), Bramble Blast/Stickerbrush Symphony (2), Disco Train (2), Rockface Rumble (3), Water World (3), and Frosty Frolics (3).

^I put on the Skyrim OST when I play DnD with my group, 'tis very good music for adventuring

(Didn't do a proper reply to avoid unnecessary video reposts)

Alright, you scared me for a second. I was worried this would be the 500th VGM thread. Full soundtracks is something I don't think has been done yet though, so that's nice.

Some of my all-time favorites would be (In no particular order):

Xenoblade: Not a very unique choice, but yeah, it's so popular for a reason. To be honest, I heard someone say once exactly what I think about the soundtrack on a YouTube, and I totally agreed. They had said "The soundtrack is great when you're listening to it, but not too memorable". I like listening to the music, but none of it really sticks in my head. That's not bad or anything, just something I've noticed. One great thing about the game's soundtrack is that it has all kinds of pacing. It has slow, calming music, medium happy music, and fast-paced action themes with rock elements. My favorite song from the game would be "Engage the Enemy" which actually switches between the three paces all in one song and is extremely catchy.

MGS3: This game's action music is pretty great. It didn't really have much music like most Metal Gear games since it's stealth-based and relies more on ambiance and natural sounds, but the songs in it are fantastic. "Battle In the Base" and basically every boss theme in the game are great. Of course, there's also the vocal themes.

MGS Peace Walker: Mostly what I had to say for above except that this game's soundtrack was slightly better to me. I liked the vocal themes in this one better too (Heavens Divide and Love Deterrence).

Hyrule Warriors: Pretty recent. This one actually caught me off guard with how good the soundtrack was. I didn't even expect an OST at all and mainly just rock-based remixes of classic Zelda themes as the few trailers I saw suggested. Far from it. Half of this game's music was original. There isn't a bad song to be heard. I like all of them, but the really good songs are well, really damn good. Notably there's "Remnant of Twilight", "Silent Guardians", and all three of the Eclipse songs which I like the best, especially "Eclipse of the Sun" which is no doubt on my top 10 list of best all time songs for me and if you've visited my profile recently you'd know that.

Zelda: Skyward Sword: The action themes in this are great such as Ghirahim's fight theme, Koloktos' theme, and Demise's theme, but I like it mainly for the relaxing tracks. Just putting it on shuffle and listening to it on shuffle can eliminate basically any stress I had before listening to it. "Lanayru Sand Sea" is a perfect example, but there's so much more. Nintendo sure did go all out for their first fully orchestrated Zelda game.

Too Many Sonic Games to List Separately: Anyone who's heard Sonic soundtracks knows this. Some of the best include Unleashed (my favorite), SA2, Sonic Lost World, Sonic Colors, Sonic '06, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic 3 + Knuckles, etc. As you can see, I listed most of the Sonic games out there, which is just proof of how much I like them. Also, as many know, not a lot of those are good as actual games, so the soundtracks are so damn good they stand apart from their game of origin.

Metroid Prime 1 and 2:

I prefer the first one's soundtrack (I prefer the 2nd as an actual game though), but they both come pretty close and they sound similar in style as well. I liked the 3rd game's soundtrack, but it didn't stand up to these two in my opinion. The 3rd game had a few gems, but it was diluted with a ton of "meh" tracks unlike the first two which were overall solid. I also prefer the 1st game's soundtrack to the 2nd's for the same reason: the 2nd had a couple of "mehs" while the 1st was great all the way through.

Last edited Oct 21, 2014 at 07:11PM EDT

This is just one of the best songs in the soundtrack, I cannot wait to hear the anniversary version.

Last edited Oct 21, 2014 at 09:39PM EDT

Gmplayer wrote:

This is just one of the best songs in the soundtrack, I cannot wait to hear the anniversary version.

Sorry, I couldn't remove the previous video after reading the full intro.

Crimeariver wrote:

There wasn't a thread for whole OSTs so I figured "why not".

Pretty self explanatory. What video games had the best soundtracks overall. For me both Bastion and Transistor stand out.

What a coincidence, I was linked these by a friend of mine just a few days ago. I agree these are really awesome soundtracks.

@Spooky Sam

Actually this thread has been done before. But the last one autolocked

Want me to revive it?

@posting OST

Always loved the music in this game

Last edited Oct 22, 2014 at 07:02AM EDT

Awakening isn't the best game in the series, but it is an excellent game if someone wants to get into the Fire Emblem series. If I never bought Awakening, I wouldn't have know how excellent of a series Fire Emblem is. Id (Purpose) has to be the best song on the OST, if I'm picking favorites.

Gonna post a couple indies.

Morenatsu (Summer Break)

Who knew a gay furry dating sim made by a few guys in Japan could have such an amazingly diverse and high-quality OST?
It has that definite Japanese influence on a lot of the tracks, but it never becomes overbearing (well, at least it doesn't for me). The game is also pretty old now, with it's final update(s) pending (the game isn't finished as of yet – development hell), but even the tracks that've been around since the first version still hold up well.
I just think that all things considered, they really outdid themselves.
(The linked song is considered to be the game's main theme.)

VVVVVV

An awesome retro-soundin' OST.
I loved the almost creepy atmospheric ambient tracks for exploration and the intense high-energy tracks for the more challenging platforming sections. And I'm not usually a big fan of "retro for the sake of retro," but the portamento synths and seriously catchy melodies won me over in the end. The game can get frustrating at times, but the OST becomes as addictive as the gameplay and keeps you going in spite of your death toll.

I also thought the new SSX game had a pretty good soundtrack, considering it's a snowboarding game, but it's mostly licensed tracks, so not exactly an OST.

Last edited Oct 22, 2014 at 07:06PM EDT

Jesper Kyd does ambient really well. This ost is richly thematic and evocative. I just love the juxtaposition of techno with traditional orchestra music and liturgically-styled Latin chanting really stands out. Honestly, the OST is like 40% of why Blood Money is my favorite Hitman game.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World: The Game has a really good overall soundtrack. But that ight just be me being a sucker for chiptunes and ANAMANAGUCHI.

Risk of Rain also has a really, really good one. Dat last stage music…
Unf.

Gunpoint, oh God this game is short, but haves a memorable soundtrack, and a really good soundtrack.
From all the soundtrack, this must be my favourite.

Here is the whole soundtrack

Oh, also, the soundtrack haves 2 versions: the normal mode, and the crosslink mode (that is kinda like electrojazz). A game about rewiring things, and punching people.

payday 2 got a really fucking awesome soundtrack.

one of the few good electronic rock songs i have heard

also hotline miami has such a good trippy feel to it, so 80´s too

and of course terraria, which i regard as one of the best games of all time didint fall short in the soundtrack department

Oh yeah, and one more to add to my giant list up above is so obvious and I can''t believe I forgot it.

Metal Gear Rising: I don't think I have to say much about this one. Every track is great and the best tracks are even better. My top 3 (in no particular order) would probably be "It Has to Be This Way", "Red Sun", and "The Only Thing I Know For Real". This soundtrack isn't exactly for everyone, but most people do seem to agree that it's amazing.

Super Metroid, Prime 1-3
It varies on which one I like the most. They all have their stand-out tracks. Kenji Yamamoto(not the DBZ one) really knows how to strike a good balance between catchy and atmospheric, which is why I like these OSTs so much.
Super: Red Soil Brinstar, The prologue and credits, Ridleys theme, Maridia
Prime: Tallon Overworld(I LOVE both), Magmoor, Phendrana
Echoes: The Main Theme(Best main theme in the trilogy), Dark Samus, Torvus Bog(both), Quadraxis, and Mutated Emperor Ing
Corruption: Bryyo cliffside, Skytown, Rundas and Gandrayda Battles, Omega Ridley, Dark Samus(again), credits theme

Xenoblade Chronicles
It's amazing when a game you love has a fantastic sonndtrack, and Xenoblade is no exception. Have you ever been playing a game, and you hear a track that immediately sold you on the OST? That was me with Xenoblade. As soon as I fought my first Unique Monster, and this started to play, I knew I was in for something special.
Favorites: Main Theme, Colony 9(Day and Night), You Will Know Our Names, Engage the Enemy, Unfinished Battle, Satorl Marsh(Night), and Mechanical Rhythm

Sonic series
Pick any game in the main series, and it would probably have great music. Even the games in Sonics' Dark Age had some great music. My favorites are probably, Sonic 3&K, Sonic CD, Adventure 1, Black Knight, and Colors.
I'm not going to bother listing examples, there's too many.

Final Fantasy Series
This one's a doozy. And to be honest, I don't have much to say. But do I even need to? It's Final Fantasy; it speaks for itself!
Examples: FF IV – VI, XII, XIII, and the Dissidia games.

Super Mario Galaxy
One may think that a sweeping orchestra would be somewhat out-of-place in a Mario platformer. However, Galaxy shatters this notion gloriously. This is beautiful soundtrack, and is one of the reasons Galaxy is my favorite game in the entire series.
Examples: Good Egg Glalaxy Battlerock, Comet Observatory, Gusty Garden, Stardust Road, Nemesis King Koopa, and the Credits Theme

Some honorable mentions:
Megaman 2, 3, 6, and X1
No More Heroes 1 and 2
Kid Icarus Uprising
Super Smash Bros series
Fire Emblem Awakening

I think that's a good place to stop.

Last edited Oct 26, 2014 at 08:43PM EDT

EXTRA: Here's the super-ear soaking song from Risk of Rain.

And it's not the only really good one in the game, I assure you.
Believe me.
POWER BALLADS FOR DAAAAAAAYS.

Last edited Oct 27, 2014 at 03:14AM EDT

Patrician trainer wrote:

Awakening isn't the best game in the series, but it is an excellent game if someone wants to get into the Fire Emblem series. If I never bought Awakening, I wouldn't have know how excellent of a series Fire Emblem is. Id (Purpose) has to be the best song on the OST, if I'm picking favorites.

Let me tell you about Hit & Run
HOLY SHIT THIS SOUNDTRACK IS AMAZABALLS.
This is one of the most underrated sound tracks to any game I've ever played. And even the most underrated Simpsons game soundtrack.
It just kicks ass.

Never trust a Snake is one of the best songs of the game and also the hardest mission in the game.

The RCT3 Soundtrack was one of the first things to actually get me into house music (lolpuns). There's also some good easy listening tracks too.

The TF2 soundtrack always makes me think of the Incredibles. Either way there are some great songs in it.

Whether you love or hate this game, you can't deny that Super Meat Boy has some great chiptune-inspired tracks written for it.

Last edited Nov 03, 2014 at 12:05AM EST

For the sake of not gushing, I won't post videos, but my favorite soundtracks are (in no particular order):
VVVVVV
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Fire Emblem: Awakening
The Ace Attorney series
The Legend of Zelda series

One of Martin O' Donnell and Michael Salvatori's best soundtracks.
This is audio recorded OST from the final level of Halo 3, Halo.
You can hear some environment sounds occur from the level that interfere with the music but is a great mix to listen to when you as the Chief and the Arbiter escape the falling Halo.

Gotta give props to einoiii who actually recorded this straight from the game and took him a long time to edit it to an 8 minute song.

Last edited Nov 03, 2014 at 03:44PM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!