Forums / Media / Video Games

38,603 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Last posted Dec 23, 2014 at 02:36AM EST. Added Nov 04, 2014 at 11:27PM EST
32 posts from 12 users

The most anticipated game in the indie game community for a long time is finally here, and my god is it glorious. Let's talk about that! Share your discoveries about the new content. What are your opinions on the art style change? Is there anybody on youtube or twitch that you're watching cover the game or are you just figuring everything out yourself? If you haven't played the original game yet, any interest in playing the remake?

So this is a remake of the original BoI released a few years ago? Same content, but with upgraded visuals, mechanics and added content yes?

In that case is it worth it still buying the original BoI?

I ask because I always considering playing this game just because it looks so interesting. Watched lots of gameplay videos but even the spoilers don't sway my determination to try it out. I can buy it right now.

But I want to know if I can just buy the newly released remake and not worry about missing anything from the previous title and the expansion. Or should I try the original anyway?

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

So this is a remake of the original BoI released a few years ago? Same content, but with upgraded visuals, mechanics and added content yes?

I ask because I always considering playing this game just because it looks so interesting. Watched lots of gameplay videos but even the spoilers don't sway my determination to try it out. I can buy it right now.

But I want to know if I can just buy the newly released remake and not worry about missing anything from the previous title and the expansion. Or should I try the original anyway?

As far as I understand Rebirth has all of the same content from the original BoI as well as the additional content, so you could just jump right into the remake and skip playing the original if you so choose and not miss a thing. Whether or not playing the original is worth it is up to you. It's only $5 (with a $2 expansion), so it's not like you'd be sacrificing that much to play the original.

It's less of a remake and more of a remastered edition.

It's got everything and more, as well as everything from the Wrath of the Lamb DLC, so you won't miss anything content wise by playing Rebirth.

If you're interested and willing to fork out the dosh, then go for it.

I stayed up playing that game till 3AM in the morning last night, which was a school night. I've already got every character (Minus Blue Baby/??? and any other secret character), beaten mom 4 times, beaten Satan, and gotten Mama's boy.

Also the most amazing thing I've ever found was a room that appears when you beat mom, a wall breaks open and there's a big room with 4 items in the middle. After choosing one, you then proceed to fight every single boss from the original BOI+WotL and it was fucking awesome.

The best item I will always get no matter what is the Dark Bum who will take red heart drops and turn them into soul hearts and sin hearts. Despite him being a deal with the devil treasure, he only costs 1 red heart and is most definitely worth it in the long run.

Unfortunately I've had a problem with my save file, it keeps deleting itself (It's happened twice now) whenever I stop playing.

This game is going to win all the goddamn GOTY awards there is because of how amazing it is.

Last edited Nov 06, 2014 at 03:56PM EST
Also the most amazing thing I’ve ever found was a room that appears when you beat mom, a wall breaks open and there’s a big room with 4 items in the middle. After choosing one, you then proceed to fight every single boss from the original BOI+WotL and it was fucking awesome.

Not sure, but I think that only occurs if you beat Mom within 20 minutes from the start of the run. Does anything actually unlock from that? I've only managed to beat it with Azazel thus far, with nothing in particular changing or unlocking.

Not sure, but I think that only occurs if you beat Mom within 20 minutes from the start of the run. Does anything actually unlock from that? I’ve only managed to beat it with Azazel thus far, with nothing in particular changing or unlocking.

I think you unlock an item for defeating the room with each character, but I haven't seen it other than with Azazel yet.

TillsterRulz wrote:

Not sure, but I think that only occurs if you beat Mom within 20 minutes from the start of the run. Does anything actually unlock from that? I’ve only managed to beat it with Azazel thus far, with nothing in particular changing or unlocking.

I think you unlock an item for defeating the room with each character, but I haven't seen it other than with Azazel yet.

Just completed a run with Azazel where I was in that room. I believe the criteria is that you either beat mom in under 20 minutes, or have the actual fight be under 20 seconds. Either way, I have a seed where you can be an OP God with Azazel and experience that massive boss room.

Pic after completing the Mega-Boss Room:

Stats on my way to kill Satan:

As you can see, the seed is FWQW BA6L.

Okay, I downloaded this game and was up until 3am playing it.

God damn this game is hard. I can't seem to get past the caves.

And I always have a terrible bomb shortage. I try to save my bombs as much as possible for when I need to blast my way into secrets but there is never enough

Also is it me or does rebirth look more pixelated compared to screenshots of the original?

Okay, I downloaded this game and was up until 3am playing it.

God damn this game is hard. I can't seem to get past the caves.

And I always have a terrible bomb shortage. I try to save my bombs as much as possible for when I need to blast my way into secrets but there is never enough

Also is it me or does rebirth look more pixelated compared to screenshots of the original?

@The Guy that was once BSoD
Save your bombs for tinted rocks. Everyone is still unsure how the secret room mechanics work in this game, since it could be a completely different or partially different system from the first, so you might as well go for something that will have some form of payout.

As for the pixel graphics, this was the way the game was originally intended, but flash had limits on what it could do. This game isn't using flash, so it runs smoother and looks better. Though you can add flash filters to make the graphics similar to the original should you desire.

As for the boss rush, you have to beat mom in under 20 minutes from the start of the game, and doing it allows you to unlock certain items.

And random, but has anyone else gotten to the chest or the dark room yet? I've personally made it to the latter, and the boss there is pretty insane.

Last edited Nov 10, 2014 at 02:46AM EST

Hah, I found one way to not worry about bombs so much

Combine Holy Mantle with Kamikaze

Kamikaze makes you explode, essentially letting you spend half a heart for one bomb. Holy mantle makes you invincible from the first damage you take upon entering a room.

The Holy Mantle also makes you immune to your own kamikaze, so essentially for this run I have infinite bombs! Just walk out of the room and come back to get a new one! Sweeeet

Seed is L0MA HKPM

[edit]

Goddamit, I died again….got too cocky

Last edited Nov 10, 2014 at 05:52AM EST

DICE ROOMS ARE EVIL!

I had a great streak going. I got all the way to the doorway of Moms chamber. I was a spooky flying devil child armed with a rapid fire frag grenade launcher for tears and protected by an army of ghost babies and equipped with tons of keys and bombs and coins and…

…and then I saw a double locked room and blundered into it…

…I entered a red room with one dot in the middle and thinking "lol wtf is this"…

…then I took one step forward and …gone….all of it…gone…my evil ghost demon powers…my army of babies…all gone…and to add insult I was transformed from the spawn of satan into a pink baby with a bowtie, lipstick, high heels and $ glasses, I shit you not!

My attack was still powerful (I gained a triple laser attack) but having only one heart container, I was dependent on my flying powers to avoid damage. Mom killed me in one hit

Yeah, that tends to happen. If you're having a crappy run, dice rooms can potentially make your run a success, but if I'm having a good run and see a dice room, I just nope the hell out of there.

So after unlocking the D6 a while back (AKA the best item in the game), I managed to find it as Azazel, on two different runs. So it would seem it is no longer Isaac exclusive (which it was in the original, if I'm not mistaken), which is amazing.

Also, if anyone doesn't care about item spoilers, this website has every item in the game, as well as what it does, including trinkets and such:

http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth

Just for those that are struggling and need to know what each item does.

Last edited Nov 12, 2014 at 03:46PM EST

So far i love the game (although i unlocked barely anything), but the characters are really unbalanced imo. for example, why would i play as plain ol' isaac when i can play as azrael, who at the very beginning has brimstone and flight? regular hp being replaced with evil hearts isn't much of a disadvantage either, because you can get heart containers as you progress.
game's pretty easy tho. i beat mom in just 2 or 3 tries.
also, how do you unlock the d6 in rebirth? fuckin love that thing.

Max wrote:

So far i love the game (although i unlocked barely anything), but the characters are really unbalanced imo. for example, why would i play as plain ol' isaac when i can play as azrael, who at the very beginning has brimstone and flight? regular hp being replaced with evil hearts isn't much of a disadvantage either, because you can get heart containers as you progress.
game's pretty easy tho. i beat mom in just 2 or 3 tries.
also, how do you unlock the d6 in rebirth? fuckin love that thing.

I'm pretty sure the imbalance between the characters is 100% intentional. The game can be as easy or as challenging as you want depending on the character you choose. Variety is the spice of life, my friend.

Has anybody figured out what shop upgrade levels do?

The wiki's tell you how many coins you need to donate to upgrade the shop, but not the effects of those upgrades. I really want to know what those effects are so I get an idea of how important donations should be

What I think happens so far:

(20 coins) Level 1 = Shop pool expanded with more items. Discounts become available.
(100 coins) Level 2 = ?
(200 coins) Level 3 = Number of items for sale in a shop increases to 5
(600 coins) Level 4 = ?

Anybody can fill the blanks here?

[edit]

Update: Azazel is seriously OP. First try with this guy and I blitzed my way straight to the citadel

I reached moms heart and it died in 0.2 seconds (granted I managed to pick up a ton of damage upgrades and the halo of flies. The flies pretty much cleared the whole room without me having to fire). An angel room appeared and it took me to the citadel. I went in there and killed Isaac in the first 10 seconds.

Azazel looks like the way to go

Last edited Nov 14, 2014 at 08:42AM EST

So, for anyone that still cares, and wants to be overpowered as hell for the sake of enjoyment (because let's face it, no one here is probably going for Platinum God), use the following seed:

WLAC
CEC3

Ipecac + Monstro's Lung + Sacred Heart + Holy Grail = Pretty much nothing stops you, not even the final final final boss, of whom I one shot each form of.

I had a pretty OP run last night using Monstro's lung too.

I played as Eden and got Monstro's lung right from the start. After that I managed to get just about every damage upgrade. Ripped photo, Guppys head etc etc. Combined with pulse worm gave me blood spew that would fill the entire room with enormous tears. A point blank shot was 100% lethal. I destroyed my way to the cathedral and blew away Isaac on hard mode

Sadly did not note seed.

Eden is becoming my preferred character over Azazel now. The starting items are a huge bonus, even if they are random. The luck of the draw makes it interesting, the different play style each run makes it fun, the cost of failure makes it challenging

I recently found out a few synergies between items:

Proptosis + Soy Milk: Adds tear-rate buff but negates the damage ramp of Proptosis, causing the high-close-range damage to apply throughout the entire range of the tear. Also causes the tears to spawn higher than the player, preventing the tears from ever touching the ground and allows them to move over all objects.

Tiny Planet + Epic Fetus: Four cross-hairs spawn around the player and mimic the movements of the original cross-hair. This causes four missiles to shoot down instead of the normal one missile. Adding on Mutant Spider or The Inner Eye causes the effect to apply across all cross-hairs.

Have fun!

AW FUCK I missed a Rebirth thread?
Well then, time to gloat on how I got the Godhead achievement!

So close to real Platinum God, need to max out that Donation Machine and get Steven.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!