Forums / Media / Video Games

38,596 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

Sonic Boom Discussion

Last posted Nov 11, 2014 at 06:03PM EST. Added Nov 10, 2014 at 07:52PM EST
21 posts from 9 users

So, this game is coming out tomorrow for where I live and I don't hear that much discussion about it. Obsessionally there's that one person who says it's on their list of future Wii U games they're excited for but this isn't often. Sonic Boom has been heavily overshadowed by other Wii U exclusives such as Smash and Bayonetta and the character designs also contribute to people kind of being doubtful of its potential, so I just wanted to know some opinions on the game prior to its release and some people who get it or already have it can give small reviews or something.

Well, for me, I'm just as confused about the game as most are. It's not really because of the character designs or anything, no, I've gotten over that for a while. It's just a variety of other factors. To start off, Sega has not disappointed in quite a while in Sonic games, at least to me. Colors was great, Generations was better, and Lost World was a small step back to me, but it was still fun and was by no means a bad game unlike the critics love to spew (Game journalists have had a major hatred for Sonic for ages now. One large reason why I made this thread is because 99% of reviews of Sonic games are completely unreliable. I'd rather hear outside opinions from you guys.) Sonic has definitely been out of its rut for years, but we never know when it could slip back in. It's still a shaky situation.

Another thing that worries me about the game would definitely be the fact that lots of the game revolves around combat, which has never really gone right for Sonic in the past decade or so. This is probably the most worrisome aspect of the game. It could ruin the entire experience pretty easily even if the speed sections are good.

Lastly, I'd just like to add that a major selling point of this game for me would definitely be just the fact that Metal Sonic plays a significant role in the story, and Metal Sonic is one of my favorite video game villains of all time and would definitely go on my hypothetical top 10 list. Oh yeah, the soundtrack will probably be gorgeous as usual, but I don't need to get the game for that and even if it ends up being a flop I most likely will be getting the soundtrack.

Oh yeah, and I'm even more scared for the 3DS version. Unlike the recent series of successful console Sonics, the last few handheld games have been pretty bad. Colors DS was like the Rush games so it was pretty good, but Generations 3DS and Lost World 3DS were lazily put together turds in my opinion. The trailers for this 3DS game also make it seem like it's more of a Rivals game where you have to "Race to Win" (pls don't hit me for this)

So, opinions? I really want to get some others' thoughts on the game.

Last edited Nov 10, 2014 at 07:52PM EST

Why would you say critics hate Sonic games? To be honest, Sonic 06 began a streak of bad Sonic games, and the only game that survived the streak were Colors and Generations. So don't downvote me on this one.

It's because they hate even the pretty good Sonic games. Like Lost World got a failing score on nearly every site and then you read the actual reviews and they couldn't find too much bad to say about it but they just ended up giving it like a 4 or a 5 anyways just because. I know Lost World is pretty mixed in opinions, but by no means was it a failure. I've seen some pretty awful games get rated higher than that. I've also seen the consensus among most review sites for Colors and Generations say "it was okay I guess" which isn't very honest. It seems like they just look for the worst in every Sonic game they review and try to rate it as poorly as possible as much as they can get away with. Who knows, I may seem like a crazed conspirator with this but you can just look at most Sonic reviews and feel the hatred. Game reviews are nearly always pretty full of bias and are unreliable, but they have this deep-seeded grudge for Sonic games I've noticed.

Last edited Nov 10, 2014 at 08:38PM EST

chowzburgerz wrote:

Why would you say critics hate Sonic games? To be honest, Sonic 06 began a streak of bad Sonic games, and the only game that survived the streak were Colors and Generations. So don't downvote me on this one.

What about Lost Worlds?? Its a challenge but I enjoyed it.

Slutty Sam wrote:

It's because they hate even the pretty good Sonic games. Like Lost World got a failing score on nearly every site and then you read the actual reviews and they couldn't find too much bad to say about it but they just ended up giving it like a 4 or a 5 anyways just because. I know Lost World is pretty mixed in opinions, but by no means was it a failure. I've seen some pretty awful games get rated higher than that. I've also seen the consensus among most review sites for Colors and Generations say "it was okay I guess" which isn't very honest. It seems like they just look for the worst in every Sonic game they review and try to rate it as poorly as possible as much as they can get away with. Who knows, I may seem like a crazed conspirator with this but you can just look at most Sonic reviews and feel the hatred. Game reviews are nearly always pretty full of bias and are unreliable, but they have this deep-seeded grudge for Sonic games I've noticed.

Hmm, I suppose Sonic 06 left a bad taste in them. Well, at least you're not a person that would say, "IGN gave a Japanese game like Sonic a bad review? I call racism." or some shit.

chowzburgerz wrote:

Hmm, I suppose Sonic 06 left a bad taste in them. Well, at least you're not a person that would say, "IGN gave a Japanese game like Sonic a bad review? I call racism." or some shit.

Funny thing is, This New Sonic Title is being developed by former Naughty Dog employees so I wont doubt any lack of depth in this game…..

Like I said in a previus post, a friend of mine showed me the game (I don't have a Wii U, blame my country) and for the looks the game is well done and looks fun. IT HAS some framerate problems when playing co-op, but thats something fixable easily, something that I don't understand about the bitching: I had framerate problems in games like GTA5 and Pokemon X and noone batted an eye about it, but when a Sonic game has these the bitching starts

The game is not the common Sonic game, is not supposed to be; but looks like "fans" can't get that in their minds.

Also, any image of "glitches" are can asure you that are totally forced, these are glitched that happened in parts you shouldn't" jump or force jump, but of course because the game is about Sonic "the game most be shit", when these kind of glitches happen in COD games *and they call them masterpieces!

I, don't give a fuck about pages like IGN or raging bitches in youtube, tumblr, etc. Since the day people bitched about Unleashed (you can not like the gameplay of the werehog or find it boring, but hell no you should call the game bad) I can care less about both sides, specially from the Sonic "fandom", who are so blind minded that believe Adventure 2 is a perfect game…..

Sigh…..

As someone that has played the majority of Sonic games (the only ones I haven't really played are Unleashed, the two story book games on Wii, most handheld Sonics, and Lost World) I actually think Sonic Boom might not be that bad. I mean when it comes to Sonic games people always complain about how it's different and say it's bad because it's nothing like the original Genesis/Mega Drive games. Well my complaint is how come no one criticizes Mario games for being mostly different with each entry, with New Super Mario Bros. being a small exception. Other than that I have played most Sonic games, minus Unleashed, the two story book games on Wii, and most of the Game Gear/Game Boy Advance/DS titles, but I enjoyed more than I hated. The only two I didn't really like were Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06, but both at least gave me so much laughter for all the wrong reasons it's hard for me to hate them that much.
Other than the game, I at least got a kick out of the animated series and I really love Mike Pollock's Eggman more so now that I ever did before.

I hope more Sonic Games are like this Team wise. Maybe with more playable characters(Silver, Espio, Blaze, etc.). I also kinda hope that SEGA goes for at least a decent story in the next game as well. With SEGA going out of its comfort zone, this 3 exclusive game deal has been done pretty well. I also hope that Nintendo maybe could turn Capcom around so we could see this type treatment with Megaman. But keeping on topic, in my opinion, I hope SEGA gets more out of their comfort zone (Like Lost Worlds and Boom) in the future by doing bold things like they've done before.

Edit:So the same guy who leaked info about Shadow and Metal Sonic in Boom on /v/ has leaked more Info about the next Sonic game in 2015 called "Sonic Runners"!

Last edited Nov 10, 2014 at 09:59PM EST

You know the worst part? Magazines are calling the graphical glitches "game breaking"

Really? A simple bug that makes Knuckles hump on a NPC is gamebreaking!?

This is why I just can't take serius any article of online magazines and pages like IGN, VGS or Metacritic.

Well, I did played the 3DS demo. The game works fine. Other than Stick's boomerang, but that might be my problem. Though the demo's first and only stage took me more than 10 minutes to beat it. I don't really have that much to talk about it, really.

Thrash95 wrote:

>Metacritic

Yes because now gamers, who have been bashing game jounalismo pages like IGN and Metacritic, will suddenly give them respect when it comes to Sonic Games. Fucking Hypocresy.

They defended other Sonic games that were slammed by critics.

Lost World – 7.2
Generations – 8.2
Colors – 8.4
Unleashed – 7.6

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!