Forums / Media / Video Games

38,602 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Are You a Boy or a Girl?

Last posted Jan 30, 2015 at 10:19PM EST. Added Jan 23, 2015 at 08:49AM EST
29 posts from 27 users

You know how it goes in games where you get to create your own custom characters and among the choices are the character's gender. So, which gender do you usually prefer to play as and why so?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, i like to mix it up between games as i have a tendency to change my mind a lot when creating characters. I also like to create a backstory between the custom characters on a specific game which causes me to have fixed genders to play as on certain games. I played both Morrowind and Oblivion always as a female character while going for a male character every time i start a new playthrough in Skyrim.

Last edited Jan 23, 2015 at 08:49AM EST

OMFG GOSH I REFUSE TO INDENTIFY AS JUST "MALE" OR "FEMALE" BECAUZ SOCIETY LABELS IT SO, I INEDENTIFY AS MEME-GENDER CHECK UR PRIVILEGE SHITLORD

But real talk, I usually choose my character's gender as according to the little backstory I write for them. It just helps me get more immersed if I can help write my own character's personality and story.

Last edited Jan 23, 2015 at 08:58AM EST

It usually depends on how kawaii I can make my character. If I can faithfully recreate my custom oc waifu to an acceptable level, I may well do that. If not, I usually go male for the sake of role playing. Tbh it doesn't make that much of a difference either way once I'm immersed in gameplay.

females that kick ass are awesome, so thats a gender i choose most of the time.

some other times like in skyrim or terraria i pick a male one cause i want to be as close to the character as possible.

If it's an RPG, I always tend to go for the female MC, especially if I can create my own character. You can count on me spending quite a while in character creation screen, adjusting every single slider 'til my character looks good enough for me. And believe me, that takes a while.

I guess it's got something to do with me enjoying drawing girls too. If I'm gonna play a game for hours and hours, I might as well have something enjoyable to look at while I'm at it.

The only game where I always play with the male MC, is Pokemon. Dunno why though.

Speaking in terms of Bethesda RPGs (Fallout 3/NV, Skyrim, etc.), I always start with a male character who takes the 'usual' route (small guns and energy weapons over melee/unarmed; warrior over mage). For my second play though I'll play as a female who's good at sneaking/thieving.
Most of the time it doesn't actually matter, I play from first person view.
Now I like to play as female in Fallout 3, because then you can get the Black Widow perk early, which makes you do more damage to characters of the opposite gender, and most NPCs are male.

I almost exclusively pick male because most games females have bad designs to me (especially fantasy). Most of the time I wear armour and helmets in games, but I still like having a badass beard underneath it and most females armours in games are dumb.

Last edited Jan 23, 2015 at 02:39PM EST

Male, because I am a fag. And also a male. And if I'm gonna have to deal with a characters ass on my screen for the majority of my time in a game then I'd prefer it to be a dude's ass.

Also male high-level armor generally looks cooler than the female equivalents to me.

But the gameplay usually takes precedence over what your character looks like once you're past the character creator.

why am i still here wrote:

I most of the time,if can,choose female characters.I don't know why.It's just a habbit.

Same here, maybe I just find the female MCs cute. (made an exception for Pokemon Y and Alpha Sapphire though)

Last edited Jan 23, 2015 at 05:11PM EST

It really depends on the game for me. If it's a game that has multiplayer (Pokemon) I will go with the male option. If it's a single player only game I will have a save file for both options just to see what difference it makes.

Blue Screen (of Death) wrote:

I play as a female most of the time. It feels sexy to play as a girl and “dress yourself up sexy.”

interesting. i tend to crossdress my female characters since i find it more attractive.

I had a stint where I played as female for a while, but I usually stick to males because I often self-insert and, as a dude, it's a little easier to relate. Also, if it's an MMO and I feel like roleplaying, RPing the gender I am is a lot easier.

This actually pertains to me a lot. For most of my life I had just used guys, but at one point in my life when I had just started questioning my gender I tried out using girl characters. Let's just say I haven't used guys since unless I want the guy to represent someone else that isn't me when a character creator allows for lots of editing. (Ex: making hitler or ghandi or shulk or whatever for lelz) Using girl characters helped lead me to form a more solid identity and make me more comfortable with myself. So being able to choose gender of a character actually played a pretty important role in my life.

The only problem I have is the same problem some have said above like Spider. I hate how in tons of games there's like no modest clothes girl characters can wear. Sometime I just want to be a girl who isn't showing skin you know? This is one of the cases in which I sorta agree with SJWs. Not because it's sexist, just because I want to have the option instead of being forced to wear bikinis everywhere. I don't really like it myself. While I do think people should also have the option to dress sexy which is where I draw the line with some SJWs who think sexy wear should be gone completely, but I don't want it to be the only thing I can use or a huge majority of the options.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!