Forums / Media / Video Games

38,599 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

To Anyone Interested In Dying Light...

Last posted Jan 28, 2015 at 09:52PM EST. Added Jan 27, 2015 at 11:30PM EST
11 posts from 8 users

I wasn't expecting for this to be a day one purchase, but since my region of the country is snowed in right now, I picked it up through Steam. It's overall a pretty solid game. The visuals, soundtrack, and ambient sound design are all really good. I find the parkour seemless and smooth; some people have even compared it to the Mirror's Edge parkour. The melee fighting is good, but the zombies take insane amounts of damage. From what I've played so far, there seems like a ton of content. I'd recommend a purchase.

A word of warning, though. If you're going to get this on PC, make sure you have a state-of-the-art computer. My three year old gaming laptop is struggling with the game. It's probably because the game (like GTA V) takes place mainly on one huge open map. Loading times are short, but because of how massive the map is, looking at the distance can cause massive framerate stutter. If you're not sure about your specifications, definitely try it out on console.

Anyone else get the game yet?

How does it compare to Dead Island in terms of gameplay? I was watching someone play a press-release version and it looked awfully similar (The LPer avoided combat most of the time though, which was cool because parkour) and I'm pretty burnt out of that kind of game/zombies in general.

And another thing I wanted to know was how the guns felt, assuming anyone has made it that far to acquire one.

TillsterRulz wrote:

How does it compare to Dead Island in terms of gameplay? I was watching someone play a press-release version and it looked awfully similar (The LPer avoided combat most of the time though, which was cool because parkour) and I'm pretty burnt out of that kind of game/zombies in general.

And another thing I wanted to know was how the guns felt, assuming anyone has made it that far to acquire one.

I haven't played a zombie game in a couple years or so, so this one didn't feel too wrote for me. I never played Dead Island but the Steam reviews I read before buying the game said that the combat was fairly similar, but improved somehow from Dead Island. I find the melee to be well executed. I will say, however, that I remember one of the main complaints with Dead Island being the poor side quest execution and the side quests in this one can definitely be tedious and unenjoyable. I would say that's my main complaint with the game's content so far.

James Blunt wrote:

>pewdiepie hate is still trendy

nice meme

It's not so much him as it is the idea of marketing types using YouTubers like him to appeal to consumers. It suggests that the marketers are trying to appeal to his audience (in my experience a younger-skewed demographic) for a game that's also trying to seem "mature." It reeks of lowest-common-denominator marketing. It's also an appeal to his fame. The quote doesn't actually say anything about the game-- even if it said 'scary' or 'fun' or 'challenging' or something like that, I wouldn't really have a problem because they'd be appealing to his assessment of the product rather than just his popularity.

Then again, like Dead Island, Dying Light has a couple of in-universe websites dedicated to marketing via world building (there's a website for the fictional city they created) that are pretty clever and clearly have a good bit of work put into them, so it's probably unfair to base everything off one poster.

Last edited Jan 28, 2015 at 12:35PM EST

Spider-Byte wrote:

>U haet pewdeepi becuz he is popular
>U hav to enjoy screaming and rape joeks becuz if u dont ur a hater and not cool

Pewdiepie stoped the rape jokes a long time ago
a real long time ago
way before Danny joined the game grumps
way before jontron was in demand
he stoped the jokes in '11'
i wrote this comment in '94'

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Yo! You must login or signup first!