Forums / Media / Video Games

38,598 total conversations in 2,697 threads

+ New Thread

underrated games of popular franchises

Last posted Apr 18, 2015 at 03:16PM EDT. Added Mar 11, 2015 at 08:39PM EDT
44 posts from 38 users

Metroid Prime 2 is pretty underrated in my opinion as part of the overall Metroid series as well as the Prime trilogy. It's one of my favorite games of all time and used to be my number one. I just love everything about it from the atmosphere to the plot and lore down to the gameplay elements unique to it. Yes, I loved the ammo system which is actually a lot of the reason why it's not as popular as other Metroid games. It gets a decent amount of praise, but not as much as I feel it deserves.

Skyward Sword is also one of my favorite games of all time and is being roasted all the time by the internet. I never knew people even disliked it at all until pretty recently in fact. I'd always just thought it was too good to hate, but some people openly despise it. Hasn't changed my opinion on it though.

Guitar Hero 5 gets a pretty bad rap for being the "black sheep" of the series, but I think it's a damn fine game. Yes, the setlist is somewhat more poppy than other GH games, but this game introduced chord HOPOs, the ability to set your own band, party play, and plenty other cool elements. Not to mention, any game with A Perfect Circle on the setlist is fine with me.

Slutty Sam wrote:

Metroid Prime 2 is pretty underrated in my opinion as part of the overall Metroid series as well as the Prime trilogy. It's one of my favorite games of all time and used to be my number one. I just love everything about it from the atmosphere to the plot and lore down to the gameplay elements unique to it. Yes, I loved the ammo system which is actually a lot of the reason why it's not as popular as other Metroid games. It gets a decent amount of praise, but not as much as I feel it deserves.

Skyward Sword is also one of my favorite games of all time and is being roasted all the time by the internet. I never knew people even disliked it at all until pretty recently in fact. I'd always just thought it was too good to hate, but some people openly despise it. Hasn't changed my opinion on it though.

the skyward sword thing is becuase the zelda fanbase don't know what they want they always hates the new one and praise the old one examples
majora mask: was hated becuase time mechanic and everybody loves it
wind waker: hated by the cartoon style and right now is praise it
TP: hated becuase was bland world and everybody bitching becuase they don't use that art style
MM remake: bitching by years and they give are complain it why isn't for the wii u
my reaction: you people are almost bad as smash bros fanbase

Last edited Mar 11, 2015 at 09:04PM EDT

I miss the times when Majora's Mask was the most underrated 3D Zelda… good times. Still my favorite game though.

I think every Fire Emblem before FE7 are underrated, and people should try playing it seriously. Not to mention people should play more Fire Emblem, I only see people praising Awakening, and while that game is cool and all, I really would like to see people praising the rest of the games too. Same thing for the Zelda: Oracle and Awakening games for GBC. Sure, there's a lot of people that enjoy these games, but I think they should be praised a bit more…
And I would tag Smash Bros. 64 as underrated too in competitive standards. People may disagree with me and say that title would be Brawl's, but honestly, I've been a competitive Brawl player for quite sometime, and I think it's better as a party game, and I enjoy playing it like that honestly. But when it comes to the competitive, SSB64 is the one that I think would deserve to be played even more. It has a big community here in Brazil, and I would like to see it grow in other countries too.

Very unpopular in the Castlevania fanbase, it seems. It's my favorite of the franchise. The endgame's pretty weak, very grindy, but it had an excellent soundtrack, I liked the two-character setup, the different areas you explored were varied and unique amongst each other, and there was plenty of equipment to please my inner minmaxxer. Oh, and you fight Dracula and Death at the same time. Belmonts? Pussies. They had a break between each. These were high school-aged kids who took care of the evil lords of the night both at once!

Also, CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN! CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN! CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN! CHARLOTTE! JONATHAN! RABBIT SEASON! DUCK SEASON! FIRE!

I have no idea why FFIV hardly ever gets talked about. Fans of the series should give it thanks for introducing the ATB system. That was the first I played in the series and it's what got me interested in the other games (well VII is the only other one I've played so far, but I plan to play IX in the future).

It's not so present now, but from what I hear the zelda fanbase despised wind waker when it first came on the scene. People seem to dismiss it as a "step back" in the series, whereas I'll always think back to WW as my favorite in the zelda franchise (although I'm biased as that's what I grew up on zelda-wise instead of oot or majora).

I don't see a lot of people talking about Zelda: Link's Awakening compared to other Zelda games. Also, BioShock 2 deserves more credit than it gets.

Adam DeLand wrote:

I have no idea why FFIV hardly ever gets talked about. Fans of the series should give it thanks for introducing the ATB system. That was the first I played in the series and it's what got me interested in the other games (well VII is the only other one I've played so far, but I plan to play IX in the future).

You're kidding, right? FFIV is Squenix's OTHER favorite. It's been released on more platforms than any other game in the series, it's had the second most expanded material after VII, it was the only SNES Final Fantasy to get a 3D remake. As for the fans, I don't know. Even though it was my first Final Fantasy game too, I didn't find it overly memorable. It didn't do anything wrong, but I don't recall much that stood out too much, either. (Although Cecil's class change was new and cool for me.)

Espurr wrote:

Klonoa anyone?

It pains me to say this, but Klonoa was never a popular franchise. He's an adorable little furball, and I've heard good things about his games, but Namco's sort of forgotten him. Which is a shame, because I love the little guy.

Klonoa is another character that I would go gay for. Hmmm…both of them are furry shotas. This says something about me, I'm sure.

MIMU wrote:

It pains me to say this, but Klonoa was never a popular franchise. He's an adorable little furball, and I've heard good things about his games, but Namco's sort of forgotten him. Which is a shame, because I love the little guy.

Klonoa is another character that I would go gay for. Hmmm…both of them are furry shotas. This says something about me, I'm sure.

The only reason I love the Klonoa series is because of it's soundtrack. Especially in Klonoa 2 with music such as this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HSIg9L3J-U&list=PLB2776CBC7B5F8617&index=7

For the level of quality and gameplay the older mystery dungeon titles offered, I feel like I don't see or hear about them enough. The Pokémon side titles as a whole seem to be overshadowed by the sheer force of the hype surrounding the main series. If the Mystery Dungeon's or Pokemon Conquest had been standalone titles, they would have been incredibly well-recieved by the gaming community.

(hopefully this image URL works, still trying to get the hang of it.)

Shame this one was overshadowed and looked over entirely. Really damn fun game, lots of replay ability, decent chunk of strategy involved and your strategies have to vary with the level and whether or not you're attacking or defending.
I mean yeah it has some nit picky flaws but overall really good game. I would like to see a sequel to it with online functionality and such.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Not necessarily underrated, more unnoticed due to its PS Vita release. It now has a PS3/Xbox port on the HD collection so its much more accessible to every day gamers but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

Its a bit of a joke as MGSV leads on directly after Peace Walker so if you want any chance of grasping the story its pretty damn important that you play this estranged game beforehand.

One of my favorite DS games, I absolutely loved it since I was a big fan of the Wario Land and WarioWare franchises. I loved the heavy use of Wario's different forms in order to make it through the level (even if they where a little bit clunky to pull of) The game also had a pretty novel visual style, it gave the bosses so much personality that they even hold up to the Wario Land 4 bosses. Also, the music is just amazing. It's kind of a shame how the Wario Land franchise is being swept under the rug by Nintendo and being replaced with WarioWare, there's no problem with WarioWare, it just feels like it's taking too much of the spotlight.

Best example I can think of is Metroid Prime Pinball.

Every person I've talked about it IRL has said some form of "Metroid had a pinball game?" to me once I brought it up. Can't say that's surprising, since the game did come pretty far out of left field. I can't even remember if they made commercials for it outside of the Japanese one. I didn't think it was real until I saw it in a bargain bin at Gamestop.

It's actually a lot of fun. Not the best pinball game ever, but still fun for a random spin-off.

The Ace Combat series in general feels rather under the radar. It's really a shame considering how it's basically the only arcade style Flight Sim out there that is actually good. (Ubisoft tried their own version with HAWX but frankly, it's shit) Doesn't help that since Ace Combat 6, Namco has been doing a piss poor job improving the series. 2011's Ace Combat Assault Horizon and the recent Ace Combat Infinity pretty much sees a bleak future for the series.

How i wish to see another great Ace Combat game like the PS2 era Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero.

I will always stand by MegaMan Legends/64. Alot of people hated the "anime" hair but bringing MegaMan to the 3d world worked perfectly IMO plus the characters were cool and gameplay was awesome for its time. There was so much hype on MML3 but unfortunatly Capcom said it was not "popular" enough. But they made all the shitty MegaMan Battle Network games… _

This game gets too much hate, and most of it's either because "It's not like the other Mario games!"(HOW IRONIC) or "It's a rom-hack of Doki Doki Panic, but with Mario slapped on it!".

Last edited Mar 26, 2015 at 08:46PM EDT

-BioShock 2
Doesn't seem to be as well liked because it "didn't innovate" as much as the first game did, but really what refinements it did make were really welcome (using powers and weapons at the same time, upgrading powers also added new abilities to them like arcing your lightning or turning your hand into a flamethrower), and I thought the story was great.

-Hitman Contracts
Hitman 2 and Blood Money are generally more well remembered as the best of the pre-Absolution entries, but Contracts was great too. It remade missions from the first game but with the mechanics being updated to be less clunky, had some nice original ones, and the overall dark atmosphere was pretty cool.

-Halo ODST
Not actually my favorite Halo, but still a really good one. Nice atmosphere, cool environments to explore (especially the more free roaming parts when you're playing as the Rookie), story being told through flashbacks and all coming together near the end was neat, the extra story bits you could discover were great and made me want to seek all of them out, and the main FPS action was as tight as ever.

Last edited Mar 28, 2015 at 07:24PM EDT

People complained that this one required you to navigate a more-or-less Escherian world map, and that if felt kind of samey to the Mega Man Zero series, but come on, it's Mega Man meets Kamen Rider. And I'd rather it be samey to the Zero series than to the late entries in the X series!

The first Call of Duty? Please don't kill me people. Please… Please… PLEASE.

I enjoyed it. It was challenging since it didn't have sprinting and regenerating health.
It felt like playing Half-Life but with no aliens in it. Some scenes were fun and enjoyable (Car chase, Nazi captured dam infiltration). Some characters we're enjoyable as well.

Oh, and it also had Jason Statham in it.

Last edited Apr 18, 2015 at 08:38AM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!