Forums / Media / Video Games

38,603 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Hideo Kojima might be leaving Konami after MGS5 is released

Last posted Apr 09, 2015 at 05:35PM EDT. Added Mar 19, 2015 at 08:45PM EDT
17 posts from 12 users

I knew this for ages already. He's constantly talking about how he's tired of being restricted by Konami and how he's tired of Metal Gear and wants to make new things instead. Now it's just been confirmed. To be honest, if MGSV turns out to be a masterpiece or at least amazing, I wouldn't mind if it ended the MGS series. It needs to end sometime. He can't keep dragging out something he doesn't want to drag out. And a series like this kind of deserves an ending. Things like Zelda or Mario or Metroid or whatever could go on forever, but something with a winding story that's all intertwined like MGS can only go so far without becoming so convoluted it barely even makes any sense (Which is basically already the state of the plot. Still love it to death though.) He's even stated that MGSV is totally going nuts with retconning and stuff. He tries to ignore the past plots on purpose in order to construct something he'd like without being trapped by the other games.

Slutty Sam wrote:

I knew this for ages already. He's constantly talking about how he's tired of being restricted by Konami and how he's tired of Metal Gear and wants to make new things instead. Now it's just been confirmed. To be honest, if MGSV turns out to be a masterpiece or at least amazing, I wouldn't mind if it ended the MGS series. It needs to end sometime. He can't keep dragging out something he doesn't want to drag out. And a series like this kind of deserves an ending. Things like Zelda or Mario or Metroid or whatever could go on forever, but something with a winding story that's all intertwined like MGS can only go so far without becoming so convoluted it barely even makes any sense (Which is basically already the state of the plot. Still love it to death though.) He's even stated that MGSV is totally going nuts with retconning and stuff. He tries to ignore the past plots on purpose in order to construct something he'd like without being trapped by the other games.

Relevant

This isn't totally unprecedented though, Naoki Maeda, father of Dance Dance Revolution, also left Konami some years back, and I know the producer and character designer of Tokemeki Memorial and LovePlus also left recently.

He also said how he wanted to leave after the 2nd game. And the third. And the fourth. And probably all the spinoffs. I'll believe it when I hear the official retirement announcement. Until then, I hope Konami doesn't have the collar too tight around his neck, because I can tell he's fed up.

This is a shock for me. I don't think a new Metal Gear series will do well without Mr. Kojima.
Konami must be really pissed at him if they removed "A Hideo Kojima Game" from branding.

I think he already left or is leaving soon, considering he removed his name from MGS5:FP

Note Kojima's name above the first title, and its absence from the second.

@Sonic Prime

If Kojima leaves that won't affect an MGR 2 I'm guessing since it's all Platinum.

@Solid Mike

Yeah, I really hope that if he does leave, he takes the series with him. I don't want it to be possibly soiled by someone else. I think some series' can work after the main dev leaves, (like I love post Sakurai-Kirby. In fact, my fav ones are from after he left) but in Metal Gear's case, I doubt it can end up well or at least end up with the same identity as while Kojima was making it.

Pippeli wrote:

I hope that he doesn't leave. I need mah Silent Hills.

It's possible either Silent Hills will be scrapped, Kojima will still work on it but as a contractor instead of an employee, or the game will be handle by another team.

Hideo has given me endless hours of joy and intrigue with with the Metal Gear and Z.O.E series, I couldn't be anymore thankful for him providing us with one of, if not, the most incredible story line in videogame fiction. I'll have no holdups if he decides to leave the series but like you said, Sam I hope he takes it with him and puts it to rest, Kojima's writing was what made MGS after all.
He's earn't his break so let him have it I say.

And on the other hand MGSV is the only other realistic addition you can make to the series, its the last blank spot on the map so trying to drag anything more out of Hideo after this would be ridiculous and would only tarnish the story we have.

MGR is Platinum, Hideo sorta semi-oversaw the game dev but didn't have any full control beyond merely guiding the team. We could see a second MGR soon, the first left some room for a new addition

David Hayter not getting the role as BB's VA already put a dent in MGSV the last thing it needs now is Kojima bailing out before release.

Which is, if I remember right, either Christmas time or early next year.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!