Forums / Media / Video Games

38,577 total conversations in 2,693 threads

+ New Thread

Is Dragonball Xenoverse worth buying for non-Dragonball fans?

Last posted Apr 02, 2015 at 02:02PM EDT. Added Mar 31, 2015 at 06:02PM EDT
10 posts from 10 users

I'm not much of a Dragonball fan though I've seen a few clips of the show and thought it looked pretty interesting.

I was just wondering if Dragonball Xenoverse is a game only "accessible" to fans of the series, as I was thinking about buying it after hearing that it was a pretty good game.

I'm not much of a dragonball fan either but I've also been watching some gameplay. From what I hear a big part of the draw of xenoverse in particular is all the "what if" scenarios that didn't play out in the canon dragonball universe so if you're not enough of a fan to appreciate them then I'd say probably not.

Well, for one thing, Dragonball Xenoverse has a lot of grinding and repetitive gameplay before you progress through the story, so unless you're a hardcore DBZ fan, then this game won't be for you.

I'm a Dragonball fan…..and this game isn't as good as people try to make.

Boring hub world, repetitive gameplay, looots of grinding.

It's just like freaking Destiny slapped onto DBZ.

And frankly…..If I want to play a fighting game of DBZ…..at this point is better to play Budokai or Budokai Tenkaichi games….

I wouldn't say so. I'm not a big fan of DBZ, but much of my enjoyment comes from the undiluted fanservice of the game. Being able to create an OC, take on Captain Ginyu as your training master, learn Ginyu Force poses, and finish it off by firing off a wave of destructo discs at one of numerous opponents that should canonically be way out of your league is delightful, mindless fun.

But yes, it is very grindy. The hub world gives me a few old Phantasy Star Online vibes, though, which is nice. A great soundtrack, too.

Thrash95 wrote:

I'm a Dragonball fan…..and this game isn't as good as people try to make.

Boring hub world, repetitive gameplay, looots of grinding.

It's just like freaking Destiny slapped onto DBZ.

And frankly…..If I want to play a fighting game of DBZ…..at this point is better to play Budokai or Budokai Tenkaichi games….

Ah, yes, the Budokai series; I watched gameplay videos of one of the Tenkaichi games, and it looked enjoyable. I'd recommend the Raging Blast series as well; I actually played those games, and they're fun once you get the hang of them (if you watch gameplay videos of people who are actually good at the games, they look simply awesome).

As for Xenoverse, my cousin (who is an avid DBZ fan) said the game was supposed to be really good. I'm probably going to check out some gameplay videos myself to find out for sure.

Crimeariver wrote:

I'm not much of a dragonball fan either but I've also been watching some gameplay. From what I hear a big part of the draw of xenoverse in particular is all the "what if" scenarios that didn't play out in the canon dragonball universe so if you're not enough of a fan to appreciate them then I'd say probably not.

Dragon Ball Heroes seem to have more of these what if things (those I think those are more what if Character A fused or something simialr as opposed to the scenarios of Xenoverse)

Personally while I admit you will have to grind in Xenoverse in order to not get curbed stomped or overwhelmed in the later missions, I will admit throught that it does give some players an incentive to experiment with their created characters. Of course I am really in it for the multiplayer aspect of DragonBall Xenoverse rather than what ifs(through the What Ifs Saga are amazing to play through) as while it is not like the Budokai or Budokai Tenkachi series, it is very much improves the some of the gameplay mechanics that has garnered flack from the other newer Dragon Ball games like Battle of Z and Ultimate Tenkaichi. In other words I think its a newly improves sequel over the other Dragonball games.

You have to grind like crazy in order to stand a chance in later missions. Unlocking the optional objectives in the side quests can be a real pain in the ass as it all boils down to whether the game feels like letting you do it. The game is on a server so it'll be unplayable in a year or two (my biggest problem with the game). I've had several issues with the server. Downloadable content is Dragonball GT. (HELL NO!) Personally, I could do without the MMO stuff. On the other hand, the 'what if' scenarios are pretty interesting. Creating your own character to interact with the story and characters is fun. Training under the characters as their pupil is pretty cool. The fighting can be fun when you've got a hang of it. The game has a sense of challenge and the overcoming of that challenge. So all in all, it's a pretty good game. However, if you're not a fan of the Dragonball series already, you will be very lost as to what is going on. One thing I noticed is that the game completely skips the Androids and goes straight to the Cell games. I haven't beaten the game yet (it'll be a long while before I beat it). This is just my perspective.

It is a rather fun game, but not what I call a masterpiece.
You can make your own character. There's like five to six races to choose from, with each one having some sort of edge. The controls are really easy to get used to. To be honest, I consider the story to be a little fan-fictiony but whatever. You basically have to fix whatever's wrong with the timeline of the anime (in forms of missions and quests). Like other peeps have said, the what-if scenarios are rather cool. At later levels, you're gonna have to grind a lot so you don't get your ass handed to you (also to gain zeny to buy equips and items). Getting the special requirements for quests are a pain in the ass.Oh, you can choose who you can train with. I trained with Vegeta-sempai and he fired me at the end of the training. I died a little inside. Game's on a server. You can choose between single lobby and multi lobby, in which you can fight with other people or go questing. You can voice-chat and stuff.

To be honest, if you aren't a fan or you don't know much about the anime, I would say stay away because you would have no idea what the fuck is going on.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

O HAI! You must login or signup first!