Forums / Media / Video Games

38,602 total conversations in 2,698 threads

+ New Thread

Smash Ballot DLC Disscusion

Last posted Apr 16, 2015 at 12:59AM EDT. Added Apr 14, 2015 at 10:56PM EDT
10 posts from 10 users

I know that this has probably been posted in forums, but I really want to know your thoughts on characters.
First off, let's get third-party out of the way. Now, "third-party" is kinda weird for Nintendo, since there are developers who have mainly only Nintendo-system-only games, like Shovel Knight awhile back and Shantae, etc. So, I'm 50/50 on third-party characters coming in to Smash, seeing as how there are fan favorites like Banjo-Kazooie(never played the games, but I've seen gameplay, and he fits perfectly), but they might harm Smash/Nintendo a little more than help.
My personal picks for Third-Party would have to be in order:

Now, Shovel Knight is easy to explain, being that he has the Scrooge McDuck-style attack, and could revolve around his arsenal, similar to Link. Only problem is that Shovel Knight is about to be on Xbox One, and that hurts the profitability greatly for both sides, Nintendo and YachtClub.

Shantae is easily able to be in Smash, being only on Nintendo systems, and both WayForward and Nintendo could profit from adding her. Buisness aside, she is very interesting with tranforming dances, and, most likely, a spacing style, making her an interesting and fun character to choose.

A little more obscure, Gunvolt is a personal third-party character that I want, mainly because I was hooked on only a 3DS DEMO. That's right, a demo! He would be an interesting character, probably utilizing the tag-shock system for damage, and Lumen's Anthem for a short boost in power and speed.

Those are my choices for third-party, but now it's time for Nintendo characters, and, boy, is there A LOT to choose from.

I'm sure most of you have heard the whole debate on both sides for Ridley's size in Smash, and my PERSONAL opinion is that he could fit, and be relatively fast, but his size also allows weakness. Ridley would be about the weight of maybe Donkey Kong or Charizard, and have good range in his aerials, while his ground attacks are a little slow, but still relatively powerful. As well, Ridley would have Peach's float on steroids, being able to hover a really long amount of time, and have a set hover time instead of not being able to hover after another jump or hover-cancelling. Ridley would only have 3 jumps, akin to Charizard and maybe his Up-B makes him hover in air, or do a quick hi-jump on the ground. Down-B would be like Donkey Kong's in Pre-Smash 4, but be only usable in the air, stomping back to the ground with armor frames, but not the power of Bowser's Bowser Bomb. Side-B could be a command grab that can go different directions as he flies with his victim, and Neutral-B could be a quick burst of three fireballs.

Being one of the more level-headed members of the Starfox team, (even though fanart says otherwise) she could also use the stylish combos of her staff, spacing people back and then go in for a heavy strike. And no, her Final Smash should not be a Land-Master.

An oddball of the Mario series, Waluigi has little chance of making it into Smash 4 due to being an assist trophy, but could still be interesting none the less. I'm not sure on moveset, but I'm sure it would revolve around his quirky attacks from the Mario Party series and the sports games.

I've never player the Donkey Kong Country series, sadly, but I have seen the fight with K. Rool, and he fits well in the roster as a heavier combatant who has speed but no jump.

The last item on my list is returning characters, and that basically speaks for itself.

My personal favorite back in Brawl and PM, Wolf O'Donnel would be amazing to come back, having his ferocious attacks slice up opponents.

This kinda fits under the third-party category, but Snake would be a good choice to bring back from Brawl, ESPECIALLY if Konami releases MGSV for the Wii U. Just change his moveset to PM's, though, as it fits him MUCH better.

A huge stretch since they don't work well on the 3DS, Ice Climbers are up in the air, but could still be very good as a character if Nintendo gets them to work. Maybe change Neutral-B into a desynching move as well, maybe?

Not from Super Mario Bros., but from Fire Emblem, Roy would be interesting as a psuedo-clone if Lucina is changed more similar to HOW SHE ACTUALLY FIGHTS IN THE GAME'S CUTSCENES WHICH LOOKS NOTHING LIKE MARTH'S! Ahem. Sorry about that, just kinda annoyed about that. (If you want to see an example click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52DyJJgIh0I) Roy could be more powerful than Marth, but lack the speed in attacks, even utilizing his secondary blade in the Awakening DLC.

So, what are your thoughts?

I've been trying to get some of my favorite Pokémon into the game, but despite my good intentions I think a lot of people would think they're dumb ideas. The first one I suggested was Emolga, saying that it would essentially be a flying version of Pikachu, and not exactly a clone like Pichu was. My other suggestion was Riolu, and my idea was that it would have less attack but better speed than Lucario, so it would also not be a clone. Though I believe people would just laugh at my suggestions.

Genesect wrote:

I know that this has probably been posted in forums, but I really want to know your thoughts on characters.
First off, let's get third-party out of the way. Now, "third-party" is kinda weird for Nintendo, since there are developers who have mainly only Nintendo-system-only games, like Shovel Knight awhile back and Shantae, etc. So, I'm 50/50 on third-party characters coming in to Smash, seeing as how there are fan favorites like Banjo-Kazooie(never played the games, but I've seen gameplay, and he fits perfectly), but they might harm Smash/Nintendo a little more than help.
My personal picks for Third-Party would have to be in order:

Now, Shovel Knight is easy to explain, being that he has the Scrooge McDuck-style attack, and could revolve around his arsenal, similar to Link. Only problem is that Shovel Knight is about to be on Xbox One, and that hurts the profitability greatly for both sides, Nintendo and YachtClub.

Shantae is easily able to be in Smash, being only on Nintendo systems, and both WayForward and Nintendo could profit from adding her. Buisness aside, she is very interesting with tranforming dances, and, most likely, a spacing style, making her an interesting and fun character to choose.

A little more obscure, Gunvolt is a personal third-party character that I want, mainly because I was hooked on only a 3DS DEMO. That's right, a demo! He would be an interesting character, probably utilizing the tag-shock system for damage, and Lumen's Anthem for a short boost in power and speed.

Those are my choices for third-party, but now it's time for Nintendo characters, and, boy, is there A LOT to choose from.

I'm sure most of you have heard the whole debate on both sides for Ridley's size in Smash, and my PERSONAL opinion is that he could fit, and be relatively fast, but his size also allows weakness. Ridley would be about the weight of maybe Donkey Kong or Charizard, and have good range in his aerials, while his ground attacks are a little slow, but still relatively powerful. As well, Ridley would have Peach's float on steroids, being able to hover a really long amount of time, and have a set hover time instead of not being able to hover after another jump or hover-cancelling. Ridley would only have 3 jumps, akin to Charizard and maybe his Up-B makes him hover in air, or do a quick hi-jump on the ground. Down-B would be like Donkey Kong's in Pre-Smash 4, but be only usable in the air, stomping back to the ground with armor frames, but not the power of Bowser's Bowser Bomb. Side-B could be a command grab that can go different directions as he flies with his victim, and Neutral-B could be a quick burst of three fireballs.

Being one of the more level-headed members of the Starfox team, (even though fanart says otherwise) she could also use the stylish combos of her staff, spacing people back and then go in for a heavy strike. And no, her Final Smash should not be a Land-Master.

An oddball of the Mario series, Waluigi has little chance of making it into Smash 4 due to being an assist trophy, but could still be interesting none the less. I'm not sure on moveset, but I'm sure it would revolve around his quirky attacks from the Mario Party series and the sports games.

I've never player the Donkey Kong Country series, sadly, but I have seen the fight with K. Rool, and he fits well in the roster as a heavier combatant who has speed but no jump.

The last item on my list is returning characters, and that basically speaks for itself.

My personal favorite back in Brawl and PM, Wolf O'Donnel would be amazing to come back, having his ferocious attacks slice up opponents.

This kinda fits under the third-party category, but Snake would be a good choice to bring back from Brawl, ESPECIALLY if Konami releases MGSV for the Wii U. Just change his moveset to PM's, though, as it fits him MUCH better.

A huge stretch since they don't work well on the 3DS, Ice Climbers are up in the air, but could still be very good as a character if Nintendo gets them to work. Maybe change Neutral-B into a desynching move as well, maybe?

Not from Super Mario Bros., but from Fire Emblem, Roy would be interesting as a psuedo-clone if Lucina is changed more similar to HOW SHE ACTUALLY FIGHTS IN THE GAME'S CUTSCENES WHICH LOOKS NOTHING LIKE MARTH'S! Ahem. Sorry about that, just kinda annoyed about that. (If you want to see an example click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52DyJJgIh0I) Roy could be more powerful than Marth, but lack the speed in attacks, even utilizing his secondary blade in the Awakening DLC.

So, what are your thoughts?

I am going make you see the reality with
Ridley: Sakurai said he is too big also he is already a boss character
Waluigi: We have enough mario characters already.
Ice climbers: that thing is not going happen since the 3ds normal can't run them only maybe with new 3ds but Sakurai want equal rosters.
Roy: Sakurai is going make Roy using Sword of seals becuase is his main weapon,his secondary blade in the Awakening DLC is just mere ornament,we have enough FE reps and outside of smash bros he isn't a popular fire emblem character

in the topic
1. Isaac
2. Travis Touchdown
3. Wolf
4. Bayonetta

I kinda agree. Somehow I'm very unsure on putting Ridley in since he's already a stage hazard in Pyrosphere. And not really sure if the mechanics to the Ice Climber would work. Still eh about Banjo-Kazooie. Roy, if they can think of a really good moveset for him then maybe, don't think that we need more swordsman.(imo)

My suggestion was to put Simon Belmont if they can't put Snake in.

Realistically speaking about this, I doubt there could be an indie character represented as a playable character in Smash. You have to keep in mind that Smash is an international game and characters like Shovel Knight and Shantae haven't even had a game released in Japan, which means next to no votes for them from Japan. The most they could probably end up with is a trophy, much like Commander Video, who was only added thanks to Choice Provisions e-mailing Nintendo almost non-stop from them directly. Besides the only third-party character I could actually be seeing being playable could possibly be Rayman, not only because of his inclusion as a trophy already, but Nintendo also published Rayman Legends in Japan and is actually exclusive to Wii U in Japan.

Now as for my top 3 characters I personally want:

King K. Rool: He's one of my favorite villains and is a popular character that hasn't been seen since 2008 in Mario Super Sluggers. His move set could easily be made from his alternate personalities such as throwing his crown, using his blunderbus to shoot out cannonballs, and using his helipack. And Donkey Kong fans have been clamoring for the King ever since both of Retro's games haven't included him as the big bad, and Retro is aware of how many people miss him.

Chibi-Robo: I could see him using his various tools including his chibi-blaster, his boombox, Telly Vision, and other multiple tools he has up his arsenal. I'd also like if his alternate colors would be his multiple costumes such as the Drake Redcrest suit, frog suit, and ghost suit.

Isaac: One of the more popular characters that was an assist trophy that returned in no way in 3DS or Wii U. He could use a nice mixture between sword combat, psynergy,and maybe utilizing the Djinni in some way.

Voting for an indie character is a vote thrown away. I mean, they're not going to put in just any 3rd party character, it should be a character as legendary as Megaman, Pacman and Sonic.

Likewise, both Ridley and Waluigi are already in the game. Doesn't even matter anymore whether or not you think he would work, he is a boss, and they're not going to remove a feature from the game.
Roy would be the second clone of Marth, unless they change him, and he is too irrelevant to deserve a full character treatment.
Ice Climbers weren't put in because the 3DS couldn't handle them, and without the gimmmick of having two characters, Sakurai thinks they aren't neccesary. I'm expecting them to return in Smash 5.

Snake, I'm pretty sure is out of the question as well, seeing as, if he were to return, he would need a stage, songs, trophies as well, since I doubt they want to give one 3rd party character a lesser treatment as the others. And I think that if they were to include him, he would be in from the start.

Krystal probably won't get in before Wolf, and I doubt we will have 4 SF characters this time around.

I voted Wolf to make sure he returns. He's probably one of the characters they're considering, and it would be a shame if he didn't make it in.

I've never understood Roy. People liked him in Melee so they want him in every game. Has he even seen a release outside Japan? I'm guessing yes but from what I've heard within the actual FE fandom no one really likes him. And as people have said a lot already, I think there are enough FE sword-fighters and even FE fighhters in general. If for some reason they had to add in a 3rd Marth clone or even a changed one I'd prefer it to be Lyn or Eliwood. The first American FE release deserves some credit you know? And that's only in some weird hypothetical situation where I was forced to choose an FE character. I think 4 is fine.

I'd much rather have another 3rd party (Snake for the love of god) even if it's unlikely or a character from a series with little representation or less representation than it deserves due to the fame of its origin series. So yeah I mean like Metroid or Xenoblade. Metroid needs another character and everyone knows it. Personally I voted for Rundas but anyone would be fine including Sylux or something. As for Xenoblade, it may not be that popular, but hey, if Earthbound can get too reps Xeno can too right? I voted for Melia because she'd have the best moveset potential for Smash and I love her character. (Also dunban is already a full on Mii set and in Shulk's final Smash and another generic sword fighter so he's definitely out)

So, all of my choices have almost no chance of getting in basically but hey, they're mine and I love them.

Um… guys… Roy is already in the game…

*gets shot*

But seriously, Smash Bros. doesn't need yet another Marth clone (and no, adding fire damage does not make Roy a totally different and unique character).

I don't know about Wolf. To me, he wasn't that great a character in Brawl, and I wasn't that fond of his design in the game. Krystal, on the other hand, could work better; didn't she use a staff with some mystical powers or something in Star Fox: Adventures? That could make for a completely different moveset, and thus prevent a clone character of Fox or Falco.

I don't have any other particular choices for Nintendo characters. They've already reinstated Dr. Mario, and are on their way to adding Mewtwo, so that takes care of the Melee roster for me (Roy, Young Link, and Pichu were just clones, with Pichu being the absolute worst character in the game).

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!