Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

"Fewer Ponies" filter option is now available in Image Stream

Last posted May 02, 2012 at 05:47PM EDT. Added Apr 23, 2012 at 04:57PM EDT
59 posts from 21 users

If you want to browse through our image stream without My Little Pony-related content, you can do that by clicking the green button "Show Fewer Ponies" on the sidebar (shown below). Enjoy!

I still think that singling out pony content is a bad idea, and there should be a custom filter. It's simply inevitable that another BIG THING will come along and flood the site, and at that time it makes sense to be able to block that out as well. As I suggested in another thread, I'm pretty much ready to filter out jimmies right now.

Partially related, I expressed the idea that only one image per entry should be allowed to show in the trending images instead of just blocking ponies there, if only for the sake of diversity.

I don't know if anyone else agrees, or if this is something that could be implemented without too much hassle.

It was certainly needed. If you're going to want to see images from everything, then that button will help remove the massive amount of FiM images uploaded. Prior to,

There is the flamewar impending, because of how it was executed. But if there's a thread about a site-related feature, then I think this is the place to CALMLY discuss it.

Don't know how coding works or how much effort it takes, but there's a stigmatizing effect to a "Show fewer ponies" button. You're not only dealing with a hugely popular and active entry. You are working with a sub-population within the site. One where a ton of pageviews come from.

By targeting only pony-related images, you're pointing at the activity of KYM bronies as the problem that required coding. I know that wasn't the intent, but the effect is there, and I could understand bronies being a little offended by it.

Simply changing the wording could prevent any of that (e.g., button says "Show more even distribution of image among entries." or something shorter.) That wouldn't require much more coding, and it wouldn't immediately point at the entry.

I think a filter that allows a person to enter and save what entries they'd like to see less of (or none of) would be ideal, but that's asking too much.

tl;dr: I like the filter. Not the wording.

I refreshed to see if someone typed up something before I posted and saw Brucker's post. Upon a quick read, I guess we're in agreement of a sort.

Verbose wrote:

It was certainly needed. If you're going to want to see images from everything, then that button will help remove the massive amount of FiM images uploaded. Prior to,

There is the flamewar impending, because of how it was executed. But if there's a thread about a site-related feature, then I think this is the place to CALMLY discuss it.

Don't know how coding works or how much effort it takes, but there's a stigmatizing effect to a "Show fewer ponies" button. You're not only dealing with a hugely popular and active entry. You are working with a sub-population within the site. One where a ton of pageviews come from.

By targeting only pony-related images, you're pointing at the activity of KYM bronies as the problem that required coding. I know that wasn't the intent, but the effect is there, and I could understand bronies being a little offended by it.

Simply changing the wording could prevent any of that (e.g., button says "Show more even distribution of image among entries." or something shorter.) That wouldn't require much more coding, and it wouldn't immediately point at the entry.

I think a filter that allows a person to enter and save what entries they'd like to see less of (or none of) would be ideal, but that's asking too much.

tl;dr: I like the filter. Not the wording.

I refreshed to see if someone typed up something before I posted and saw Brucker's post. Upon a quick read, I guess we're in agreement of a sort.

How would you have worded it? If you think telling bronies that this is a feature to filter out more pony images is offensive, how can we have this feature without offending them?

It's a useful feature which shouldn't offend bronies at all. It's not a "problem". They're proud of the ludicrous amount of images uploaded to the MLP page.
I've seen a lot of warnings about impending shitstorms, but I haven't seen any starting yet.

The custom filter idea is great.

Last edited Apr 23, 2012 at 07:06PM EDT

MDFification wrote:

How would you have worded it? If you think telling bronies that this is a feature to filter out more pony images is offensive, how can we have this feature without offending them?

Verbose wrote:

(e.g., button says “Show more even distribution of image among entries.” or something shorter.)

If there was no problem, then the button wouldn't have been made.
The button was made because of the amount of images uploaded to the entry/related entries.
Ergo, the button was made because of the problem of the amount of FiM images.

If it was a terribly roundabout way of being offensive, then I'd be less concerned. But the language is currently and certainly targeted at removing ponies as opposed to increase the visibility of other images from other entries.

Also, note that I said I liked the filter myself. I'm not arguing against it.

I agree with both Verbose and Brucker.

Brucker wrote:

I still think that singling out pony content is a bad idea, and there should be a custom filter. It’s simply inevitable that another BIG THING will come along and flood the site, and at that time it makes sense to be able to block that out as well. As I suggested in another thread, I’m pretty much ready to filter out jimmies right now.

Great idea a custom filter. Currently ponies are the biggest, but who knows what'll come next.

It would also be nice if this could block out the images added to deadpooled articles, as these often make no sense or are related to Deadpool (the Marvel character). Plus a feature that removes images that were posted on NSFW tagged articles.

The filter in general is a good idea yes, as it can avoid a lot of jimmy rustling. But not only ponies cause the rustling of jimmies when being posted in the image stream. Everyone has a different opinion, so everyone likes and dislikes different memes. Based on that the custom filter would be great.

It's also kinda unfair. Currently the bronies really fill up the image stream, so a button for them makes sense.

But the button can easily generate the idea that KYM is shunning bronies. "You dislike MLP? Have this fancy button!" together with "You like MLP? Too bad, nothing for you." Of course those examples are a bit extreme, but they describe the point quite nicely. I know this isn't what the staff was aiming for with the creation of this feature, but it certainly generates an inequal atmosphere towards the bronies on this site. And inequality towards only a certain group/fandom, we're getting close to discrimination there (no offense).

In that way, a custom filter would be more equal to the visitors of the site in general. It's not just something against just MLP anymore, but instead it helps everyone.

Tl;Dr Custom Filter Do Want!

Overall I do agree with this feature, but it still creates some problems. The idea could work out so much better.

Last edited Apr 23, 2012 at 08:02PM EDT

Notice how the number of images under "Browsing all x images" changes in the top left corner of Brad's gif. There's a difference of 70,000 images when ponies are removed from the gallery. That's a little more than a quarter of all the pictures on the entire website. I don't think a filter is necessary for anything but ponies and NSFW. If another "BIG THING" came that took up this much room in the images, I'd be in favor of filtering that out as well. And, I don't think this is trying to shun bronies; this is being used to provide ease for users who don't want to see ponies. I think they must feel ignored for not having this filter in the first place. Also, what are we supposed to give the bronies to make them feel even more at home? Applying a filter for only ponies wouldn't do much; as I said before, the pony pictures take up more than a quarter of ALL the pictures on the website. That's just my two cents on the matter.

madcat wrote:

Notice how the number of images under "Browsing all x images" changes in the top left corner of Brad's gif. There's a difference of 70,000 images when ponies are removed from the gallery. That's a little more than a quarter of all the pictures on the entire website. I don't think a filter is necessary for anything but ponies and NSFW. If another "BIG THING" came that took up this much room in the images, I'd be in favor of filtering that out as well. And, I don't think this is trying to shun bronies; this is being used to provide ease for users who don't want to see ponies. I think they must feel ignored for not having this filter in the first place. Also, what are we supposed to give the bronies to make them feel even more at home? Applying a filter for only ponies wouldn't do much; as I said before, the pony pictures take up more than a quarter of ALL the pictures on the website. That's just my two cents on the matter.

That's why a custom filter has been suggested, where one can get rid of what they don't want and keep what they do.

Can we also install a fewer homestuck images button? I hate that fucking shit. who's with me on that? Oh and while were at it spiderman is getting kinda old too.

Last edited Apr 24, 2012 at 02:23AM EDT

I support this button. Not everyone likes ponies, and adding an opinion to see less of them would reduce the overall butthurt levels in KYM.

I don't find the button particularly offensive, but just in case other people do, how about we spruce it up a bit? You know the "No Fanfiction Mode" button in EQD with derpy on it? We should do something like that, like a reference or something.

See? I don't know if Vazquez is trolling, but I'd be surprised if there weren't plenty of people that felt that way.

When it comes to coding, I can never speak too well for how tough it is to implement a feature for the user interface because I don't have a great deal of experience with such things. On the back-end database side of things, though, I do know from experience that making a customized filter is not very tough*. The thing that's needed is to decide what exactly we think the filter should do functionally before it gets coded, because it's a pain to have to keep going back to redo stuff you could have done all at once.

So, my thoughts:

1. The database is already set up to let users choose "favorite" entries; allowing users to "disfavorite" entries as well would then give you data options such as "Show only images from favorite memes" or "Filter out images from disfavored memes". To be tactful, I don't think stats on how many users have "disfavored" a meme should be displayed anywhere, unlike how the number of "favorites" is currently shown at the top of the page.

2. There should probably be options to filter out NSFW material. I like the simplicity of filtering out images for NSFW memes for now, but occasionally, I dream about a more sophisticated system that's almost surely beyond the scope of this discussion. (A graded system like PG, PG-13, R or whatever; separating out into categories of "NSFW-sexual content", "NSFW-violent", "NSFW-racist/sexist/etc."; maybe some other things so long as they seem reasonable?)

3. Other things that could be filtered: entry status ("exclude deadpooled memes"; "show only confirmed memes", etc.); images not connected to a specific entry; maybe an option to show only images from memes of which you have editorship?

4. The filter should be optional. The lesson I keep seeing so many sites fail to recognize is that there are a lot of users that don't want all the bells and whistles, but just want to see whatever content is there indiscriminately. Probably it would be best if each user could have their filter settings saved so they don't have to keep coming back and reapplying options.

5. If all of the above were implemented, I think the default should be to filter out deadpooled, NSFW, and disfavored memes.

* I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I don't know what your staff of coders is like, but I'd be happy to give some free time helping solve database problems.

Derpy Vaz wrote:

Can we also install a fewer homestuck images button? I hate that fucking shit. who's with me on that? Oh and while were at it spiderman is getting kinda old too.

What.

Derpy Vaz wrote:

The images you're talking about are much less common in the feed (by a factor of >5) then MLP pics.
And yes, a custom image filter would be ideal.
I really have to sympathize with Madcat though. There is an ridiculously large amount of Pony pics. Personally, that one entry has gotten so many image uploads and takes so much image space, I don't know why the image gallery hasn't been locked. Other then that when it was, the brony userbase revolted.
It is an exception to the general rule.

Last edited Apr 24, 2012 at 08:25AM EDT

While I don't exactly approve of the flood of pony images (Seriously, I don't want to be gone an hour and find 500 new pics to scroll through.) , the button had the effect Verbose said it would:
I feel like what I enjoy makes me a problem.
I do appreciate that you were thoughtful for the other users, and maybe the button was something they needed. But it wasn't exactly fair to us that what you created sort of sounded like we were a specific target. I'm not a target. I am a user like the rest of you, and believe that we have a right to feel we belong. So yeah, a custom button would be ideal. I personally don't like all the Dolan images to be honest.

MDFification wrote:

The images you're talking about are much less common in the feed (by a factor of >5) then MLP pics.
And yes, a custom image filter would be ideal.
I really have to sympathize with Madcat though. There is an ridiculously large amount of Pony pics. Personally, that one entry has gotten so many image uploads and takes so much image space, I don't know why the image gallery hasn't been locked. Other then that when it was, the brony userbase revolted.
It is an exception to the general rule.

The bronies make up a large amount of daily visitors on this site. Locking their image gallery could cost KYM a lot of visitors, which is also a lost of income through advertisement. Plus it's no problem for the servers. Plenty of users tried the argument that the servers can't handle so many images. But it has already been confirmed multiple times before by the staff that the servers can easily handle it. And lastly locking it would get you nowhere. The fandom is constantly evolving. Locking the image gallery makes it really hard to show that constant change.

And as you can read above, most people agree with you and madcat on the Pony Filter being a good start. But the feature would simply be so much better if users could customize it. I won't give any arguments against it now, those were already given well enough above.

Just for example: With all the Advice Animals and Rage Comics/Faces, I doubt many would bother no longer seeing those in the image stream. Each time a new entry is made for one of the two, the comment section often features comments related to "Not another one / We don't need another one".

"It is an exception to the general rule."

This kinda describes my point of inequality. Please don't let yourself drop to that point.

RandomMan wrote:

The bronies make up a large amount of daily visitors on this site. Locking their image gallery could cost KYM a lot of visitors, which is also a lost of income through advertisement. Plus it's no problem for the servers. Plenty of users tried the argument that the servers can't handle so many images. But it has already been confirmed multiple times before by the staff that the servers can easily handle it. And lastly locking it would get you nowhere. The fandom is constantly evolving. Locking the image gallery makes it really hard to show that constant change.

And as you can read above, most people agree with you and madcat on the Pony Filter being a good start. But the feature would simply be so much better if users could customize it. I won't give any arguments against it now, those were already given well enough above.

Just for example: With all the Advice Animals and Rage Comics/Faces, I doubt many would bother no longer seeing those in the image stream. Each time a new entry is made for one of the two, the comment section often features comments related to "Not another one / We don't need another one".

"It is an exception to the general rule."

This kinda describes my point of inequality. Please don't let yourself drop to that point.

You're right, let's not drop the point. Away from that locking point, bluh.

A custom filter (images from entry x do not show up on the feed) would be better.
Maybe we could also use a parent entry tree (images from entry Advice Dog and Sub-Entries of Advice dog do not show up on the feed) to allow users to filter out content better.

Would having multiple filters at once be possible? Such as, say, filtering out MLP, Rage Comics, and Image Macros? That would be a useful feature.

Sunhammer wrote:

While I don't exactly approve of the flood of pony images (Seriously, I don't want to be gone an hour and find 500 new pics to scroll through.) , the button had the effect Verbose said it would:
I feel like what I enjoy makes me a problem.
I do appreciate that you were thoughtful for the other users, and maybe the button was something they needed. But it wasn't exactly fair to us that what you created sort of sounded like we were a specific target. I'm not a target. I am a user like the rest of you, and believe that we have a right to feel we belong. So yeah, a custom button would be ideal. I personally don't like all the Dolan images to be honest.

This post bums me out. I'm sorry to hear that you feel like ponies make you a problem, it's not the ponies themselves but the large quantities of them. We're still going to be featuring pony content, I don't want you to think that the filter means a kym-wide pony shunning or something because that was not the intention.

I really like Brucker's un-favoriting idea. I don't know if that would be complicated to make, though.

The function we currently have seems (I haven't seen the code, I couldn't understand it anyway, so I'm just taking a wild guess here) to simply remove images originating in Entry X (Currently MLP) from showing up in the image stream.
So, what we'd have to do to change that is allow users to set what Entry X is. Then they load a page where all instances of images in the Entry X gallery are not shown in the feed.
If you automatically tag entries- say the site can distinguish at a basic level between NSFW, Submissions, Deadpools, and Confirmed, then you could also use this to choose a category. So, the filter would end up looking like this:
-Filter our Images from Entry X (Possibly this repeats for multiple filters)
-Show Category X (Again, possibly repeats to allow multiple categories to be filtered in)

Hmm. I was thinking the filter would function similiar to ponibooru's content filter. You simply leave the ones you want to filter out unchecked. Say, you don't want to see another Arrow in the knee pic. You go to "set filter preferences", scroll down to the arrow entry, and uncheck the box. All pics uploaded to that entry will be filtered out. This allows you to set whatever you want to see in the most flexible way possible without having the need to repeat the process. And we could make it so that the preferences stay to a particular user's account, like filtering out ponies and other memes he doesn't like for Nair. That way he only has to set it once.

Sunhammer wrote:

Hmm. I was thinking the filter would function similiar to ponibooru's content filter. You simply leave the ones you want to filter out unchecked. Say, you don't want to see another Arrow in the knee pic. You go to "set filter preferences", scroll down to the arrow entry, and uncheck the box. All pics uploaded to that entry will be filtered out. This allows you to set whatever you want to see in the most flexible way possible without having the need to repeat the process. And we could make it so that the preferences stay to a particular user's account, like filtering out ponies and other memes he doesn't like for Nair. That way he only has to set it once.

We have too many entries to do that. It would make a heck of a lot more sense to just select which entries you don't want to receive images from.

MDFification wrote:

You're right, let's not drop the point. Away from that locking point, bluh.

A custom filter (images from entry x do not show up on the feed) would be better.
Maybe we could also use a parent entry tree (images from entry Advice Dog and Sub-Entries of Advice dog do not show up on the feed) to allow users to filter out content better.

Would having multiple filters at once be possible? Such as, say, filtering out MLP, Rage Comics, and Image Macros? That would be a useful feature.

I'm going to chime in on this suggestion and say that the sort of filtering you're talking about is probably too vague to be practical. Your three examples get increasingly more vague.

Filtering out MLP works if you simply ask to display nothing posted to that entry, but of course pony stuff gets posted elsewhere from time to time, so this actually wouldn't be 100% effective. As it is now, if you go to the image stream and look at least liked images of all time (which I don't advise, most of those ones at the low end are quite rightfully there), a lot of them are pony-related. If you click on "Show Fewer Ponies", three of the top four are still pony-related (the #1 image is a pretty nasty Rule 34 image of Spongebob that falls short of being outright porn, but would probably still traumatize a child):

[photo:271447] [photo:184339] [photo:249830]

Rage Comics are a bit fuzzy around the edges, but as well as Rage Comics posted to other entries, it's not always 100% clear what makes something a Rage Comic. A lot of people consider Y U NO guy to be a Rage Comic face, but he's usually a standalone image macro. Other rage faces like Dr. Tyson's "badass" pose also seem in this grey area, and new rage faces would have to be identified as such before they would be filtered.

"Image Macros" is a hugely overarching term that could apply to almost anything, and I just don't think it's practical at all.

When you deal with database filtering, you really need to be specific. Filtering out "entry X and all sub-memes" could work, although it's tricky, and new sub-entries that have yet to be identified as such would not be filtered anyway.

Last edited Apr 24, 2012 at 12:30PM EDT

You may have misread that a bit.
The current system works by filtering out a single entry. That was what I was saying. I accidentally said image macro instead of Advice Dog. I was detailing what we already have in place, and proposing it could be altered to allow a user to choose which entry.
An improvement would be filtering out the sub-memes (i.e. if you filter out an entry with several sub-entries, they're automatically filtered out) or using a tag-system. The tag system however would take a lot of time to set up and if left to the users would be screwed up regardless.

I have to correct both Brucker and MDF here.

The current filter filters out both the MLP:FiM entry and all the sub-entries listed under the main entry.

So with what MDF said about a single entry, that's simply incorrect. It already has the feature of sub-entries. Which also removes the problem Brucker mentioned with adding sub-entries being a possible problem.

When I posted about Advice Animals and Rage Comics making good candidates, I meant that including all the sub-entries posted under them. So that when you want Advice Animals gone from the stream, you no longer see any entry listed under the Advice Animals parent entry in the stream. I thought you guys were aware of this as well (with the filter having this already), but it seems I thought wrong.

If you however make a new entry for MLP, but this hasn't been added yet as a sub-entry to the main article, those images still turn up on the stream. But as soon as it gets added as a sub-entry, they get filtered out.

Without Filter:

With Filter:

As you can see, the sub-entry is also removed.

Last edited Apr 24, 2012 at 03:54PM EDT

I'm not sure what you think you're correcting me concerning; I wasn't aware that the button already filters out sub-memes, but I don't think that changes anything I said. The reason I felt that filtering out sub-entries was "tricky" was that it requires fancier coding than simply choosing each entry you want filtered. On top of that, I would think that this feature ought to be optional. Maybe you don't like MLP:FIM, but you're fine with DJ-P0N-3 nonetheless? I'm not sure if that adds a level of complexity that simply might not be worth it.

Brucker wrote:

I'm not sure what you think you're correcting me concerning; I wasn't aware that the button already filters out sub-memes, but I don't think that changes anything I said. The reason I felt that filtering out sub-entries was "tricky" was that it requires fancier coding than simply choosing each entry you want filtered. On top of that, I would think that this feature ought to be optional. Maybe you don't like MLP:FIM, but you're fine with DJ-P0N-3 nonetheless? I'm not sure if that adds a level of complexity that simply might not be worth it.

Just the point that you thought adding sub-entries to the coding might be tricky, as it is already done.

Brucker wrote:

See? I don't know if Vazquez is trolling, but I'd be surprised if there weren't plenty of people that felt that way.

When it comes to coding, I can never speak too well for how tough it is to implement a feature for the user interface because I don't have a great deal of experience with such things. On the back-end database side of things, though, I do know from experience that making a customized filter is not very tough*. The thing that's needed is to decide what exactly we think the filter should do functionally before it gets coded, because it's a pain to have to keep going back to redo stuff you could have done all at once.

So, my thoughts:

1. The database is already set up to let users choose "favorite" entries; allowing users to "disfavorite" entries as well would then give you data options such as "Show only images from favorite memes" or "Filter out images from disfavored memes". To be tactful, I don't think stats on how many users have "disfavored" a meme should be displayed anywhere, unlike how the number of "favorites" is currently shown at the top of the page.

2. There should probably be options to filter out NSFW material. I like the simplicity of filtering out images for NSFW memes for now, but occasionally, I dream about a more sophisticated system that's almost surely beyond the scope of this discussion. (A graded system like PG, PG-13, R or whatever; separating out into categories of "NSFW-sexual content", "NSFW-violent", "NSFW-racist/sexist/etc."; maybe some other things so long as they seem reasonable?)

3. Other things that could be filtered: entry status ("exclude deadpooled memes"; "show only confirmed memes", etc.); images not connected to a specific entry; maybe an option to show only images from memes of which you have editorship?

4. The filter should be optional. The lesson I keep seeing so many sites fail to recognize is that there are a lot of users that don't want all the bells and whistles, but just want to see whatever content is there indiscriminately. Probably it would be best if each user could have their filter settings saved so they don't have to keep coming back and reapplying options.

5. If all of the above were implemented, I think the default should be to filter out deadpooled, NSFW, and disfavored memes.

* I've said it before, and I'll say it again; I don't know what your staff of coders is like, but I'd be happy to give some free time helping solve database problems.

I approve.

However, this would be a bitch to code.

An simple and efficient idea: make the button less prominent. As it stands right now, it's a huge green button that immediately draws your attention every single time you load the page. This sends an unintended message that could offend some people here.

Just stick it near the bottom of the page, and instead of a button, a link.

Like this:
Less ponies mode

Last edited Apr 25, 2012 at 08:15PM EDT

Could there also be a "less ponies" option for the image galleries of entries? And for video galleries?

Please?

I like Twins' idea. I think the most immediate problem is that it does target what is effectively brony activity. If it is made less prominent (or the label is changed, to something like "Show more even distribution of entry images,") then that problem is fixed.

The customizable filter system is a long way away, because I don't know if the higher ups even think it is necessary given the work that would be involved for it. I say something quick and dirty leaves the filter (it is a good option to have) and it won't offend.

The point of the button is to draw your attention. People that don't go on the forums might never see this thread, and they need a way to know about this. I'd wait a month or two (long enough so that KYM's regulars know about the button) before making it less prominent.

American Tanker, Hell on Tracks wrote:

Could there also be a "less ponies" option for the image galleries of entries? And for video galleries?

Please?

That would be really hard to code, and probably not even possible without constant human effort.

Biggest shot at it would probably be a tagging system. But this leaves simply too much trouble.

In order to succeed it, every Pony image/video uploaded to a different entry needs to get an MLP tag, by either the uploader or an image mod. When I upload images, I commonly forget to add tags. I'm pretty sure plenty of others have this as well. This would then force image mods (which I am as well ironically) to check the stream each day, looking for the MLP images to tag.

I know you dislike MLP Thomas, but even you should be able to survive the small amount added to other entries. By the argument of small amount, adding this would also be a waste of time with coding. Such a button for each seperate entry, even if they have maybe 1 pony image out of 100, that's just overkill.

Last edited Apr 25, 2012 at 10:30PM EDT

I supported Custom Image Filtering before it was cool.

But as a Temporary Placeholder untill the Custom One is coded, the Pony Filter button shall do… I aproove.

madcat wrote:

The point of the button is to draw your attention. People that don't go on the forums might never see this thread, and they need a way to know about this. I'd wait a month or two (long enough so that KYM's regulars know about the button) before making it less prominent.

It's not like making it a link will suddenly make it invisible. People will still be able to clearly locate the link to reduce ponies, but the key word here is "locate." It shouldn't be one of the first things you notice right away, like it is right now.

Verbose wrote:

I like Twins' idea. I think the most immediate problem is that it does target what is effectively brony activity. If it is made less prominent (or the label is changed, to something like "Show more even distribution of entry images,") then that problem is fixed.

The customizable filter system is a long way away, because I don't know if the higher ups even think it is necessary given the work that would be involved for it. I say something quick and dirty leaves the filter (it is a good option to have) and it won't offend.

Speaking once again from my personal experience, simply adding #1 on my list above would actually be an easy fix. In fact, depending on the type of database engine and data structure, it might not require any change in the database at all. (This would be in the case where a meme being "favorited" simply set a flag on a table somewhere, and that flagged field is able to accept more than a binary 1/0 value, as is often the case. If a flag of "1" meant "favorited", then a flag of "2" could mean "disfavored".) At worst, it would only require some minor reworking of the existing database structure. (If the favorites are kept in a table that only lists the user_id and the entry_id, one option would be to add a third field that would take values of {0, 1, 2} as described above, and another option would be to make a "disfavored" table with the same structure as the "favored" table, and write some error-checking code that would disallow the same data pair to appear in both tables.)

i don't think there could be a chance of having a brony shitstorm, why would they actually be mad?
"I hate people who use the pony filter, I WANT THEM TO LOOK AT ALL OUR PICTURES!"

no their love and tolerance wouldn't allow that kinda thinking, instead they should be like:
"see? now you can't flame and troll bronies because you have the option to not look at our pictures"

RandomMan wrote:

That would be really hard to code, and probably not even possible without constant human effort.

Biggest shot at it would probably be a tagging system. But this leaves simply too much trouble.

In order to succeed it, every Pony image/video uploaded to a different entry needs to get an MLP tag, by either the uploader or an image mod. When I upload images, I commonly forget to add tags. I'm pretty sure plenty of others have this as well. This would then force image mods (which I am as well ironically) to check the stream each day, looking for the MLP images to tag.

I know you dislike MLP Thomas, but even you should be able to survive the small amount added to other entries. By the argument of small amount, adding this would also be a waste of time with coding. Such a button for each seperate entry, even if they have maybe 1 pony image out of 100, that's just overkill.

Well, I guess it would kinda be incentive for image mods to do their jobs and for people to tag their images and videos.

Speaking of which, why not make it where images and videos can only be uploaded to entries if they have tags?

Well, I guess it would kinda be incentive for image mods to do their jobs and for people to tag their images and videos.

Speaking of which, why not make it where images and videos can only be uploaded to entries if they have tags?

Forcing images and vids to have tags automatically makes it harder to get users to upload media, as it takes longer to upload them. And because it takes longer because of this, people might lose interest and upload less content.

Last edited Apr 30, 2012 at 11:14PM EDT

RandomMan wrote:

Forcing images and vids to have tags automatically makes it harder to get users to upload media, as it takes longer to upload them. And because it takes longer because of this, people might lose interest and upload less content.

I'm not saying that you are forced to tag 'em before you upload them to the site.

I'm just saying that for the sake of filtering images and videos on entries, you should be forced to tag your media uploads before you can submit them to an entry.

I'm not saying that you are forced to tag 'em before you upload them to the site.

I'm just saying that for the sake of filtering images and videos on entries, you should be forced to tag your media uploads before you can submit them to an entry.

That would be my personal preference, Thomas. I'm totally about keeping things neat, tidy, and easy to find.

However, I think RandomMan's point still stands. What is likely to happen is that people still won't be as quick to upload media to an entry. If there is a lot going on in an image, then it takes a lot of time (in comparison to just uploading it to an entry) to upload it.

Alternatively, you end up with a lot of bunk tags like "ndksljf" and "AAAAAAAAAA" or the like. You know how you sign up for a site and come up with fake information about yourself? Forcing people to tag might end up creating a lot of unsuitable tags and would decrease the amount of media to the site. I don't think the site on the whole wants that.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hi! You must login or signup first!