Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

New Boards

Last posted Jul 21, 2014 at 12:24PM EDT. Added Jul 17, 2014 at 10:04AM EDT
34 posts from 23 users

Pretty self explanatory.

If you have any questions about them, shoot.

EDIT: Just for the sake of convenience, here's a rundown of the new boards and their purpose

Discussion

• General: Hot internets, fun finds, fresh news and anything else worthy of a casual conversation.
  • Serious Debate: Hotly debated issues, devil’s advocacy and food for thought that require a certain level of maturity and sincerity for participation.
  • Meme Research: Latest viral media, up-and-coming memes, research methods and “big picture” theories about memes.
  • Q & A: Got a question you’ve been burning to ask? Find your answer here.

Media

• Video Games: Video games of all genres, generations, platforms and ratings.
  • Moving Images: TV shows, films, cartoons, commercials, homemade movies, GIFs, etc.
  • Music: Songs and music videos of all genres by any artist, commercial or underground.
  • Books & Comics: Novels, essays, comics and manga of all genres, fiction or non-fiction.
  • Websites: Blogs, video channels, discussion forums, web-based applications, etc.

Fun!

• Creative: Drawing threads, group collaborations, show-and-tells of things you made and peer reviews of things that others made.
  • Forum Games: Reply games, alternate reality games, multi-page adventures and other forum-based interactive games on all levels of complexity.
  • Riff-Raff: Buckle up, because the brakes are cut and the five-o are snoozin’. The rules are more lax here, so remember not to take yourself too seriously.
  • Memeory Lane: Enter the Know Your Meme forum community’s very own Hall of Fame and revisit some of the most legendary threads that have been immortalized for future generations to enjoy.

Maintenance

• Announcements: Updates on new database features, staff announcements and other important bulletins from the Know Your Meme database.
  • Report Problems: Report bugs, broken hyperlinks or embedded objects and any other issues that need to be fixed.
  • Suggest Ideas: Got a brilliant idea for a new feature or improvement to the database? Or a solution to a persisting problem? Share your idea with us.
Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 05:40PM EDT

We did it guys. We made it happen.

But really, I'm very interested in seeing where these new boards take us as a site. This is definitely the most drastic change to the site I've seen in my time here, so it's very exciting.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 12:46PM EDT

I think it's a change for the worse. The basic function is still there, you can only see five active topics at a time, but now you have to click through several new links to see all the recent threads, or look at all Forums at the same time, which makes the point of new sub-forums redundant.

Cale wrote:

I think it's a change for the worse. The basic function is still there, you can only see five active topics at a time, but now you have to click through several new links to see all the recent threads, or look at all Forums at the same time, which makes the point of new sub-forums redundant.

It's a general redesign that allowed for some sections that hadn't been very prominent in the past to keep from being buried. Clicking "General", "Media", "Fun!", or "Maintenance" will still take you to the unsorted threads, but you have the option to click their subcategories for pre-sorted lists.

The change wasn't a complete revamp, no. It's still going to function like the previous layout for the most part, but you won't see threads getting stamped down from Pokemon, Pony, or User Above You posts.

Cale wrote:

meh, i like it, but it will take some getting used to

So now is where all the forum mods come into full use. You guys are going to be a lot busier with this new layout! Well, it's not what I expected, but I welcome this update and it's pretty much everything Blubber listed in the other thread.

Issues:
The lock icon next to autolocked threads isn't displaying, but it does display for manually locked threads.

Suggestions:
I think the KYM LGBT Thread shouldn't be in the Serious Debate section, but that's just me.
The Moving Images board should have a more colloquial name.
On the main Forums page, more threads should be displayed. At least enough to fill up the new white space.
The time limit for autolocking should be extended or removed. I've been under the impression that threads autolock to keep the forums clean, but the new update is supposed to declutter them as well, so we don't need both. I also think the new update is supposed to promote more forum use and discussion, and it's easier to post in an old thread than to make a whole new one. I don't feel like I'm getting my point across very well, it just feels like threads should have a longer opportunity to be in use with this new update.
Advertise the forums to the rest of the site, we need new people to fill up these empty boards.

Crimson Locks wrote:

Is mayonnaise a new board?

Ok but really, I think we may as well put the description/purpose of the boards in this thread

Flex your power muscle some more, Locks. You're free to edit my OP post if you feel it lacks descriptions etc.

Caramel wrote:

The lock icon next to autolocked threads isn’t displaying, but it does display for manually locked threads.

This was already the case with the old forum. Nothing new there.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 08:06PM EDT

This looks great! A little exploring to do now.

EDIT: About Fun! I hope at least one of them has some basic rules, especially creative. Shitposting really ruined JFF for me, and a community oriented board about participating together sounds acutally fun.

Last edited Jul 17, 2014 at 08:53PM EDT

Gary wrote:

This looks great! A little exploring to do now.

EDIT: About Fun! I hope at least one of them has some basic rules, especially creative. Shitposting really ruined JFF for me, and a community oriented board about participating together sounds acutally fun.

Riff-Raff is to hold all the shitposting. Shitposting shouldn't be done outside of Riff-Raff.

madcat wrote:

Riff-Raff is to hold all the shitposting. Shitposting shouldn't be done outside of Riff-Raff.

Thank the almighty.

Seriously though, shitposters can really ruin a good discussion thread. If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

For fuck's sake guys, I can't leave for five goddamned days to play in a band and some shit without you remaking the entire forum system into something I have to study to figure out? Seriously, are we going to have a quiz on this next week? Is it open book? I mean, why didn't you just fucking…?
deep breath
Okay, so it took me about a minute to get over the shock. Hell, I really think this might turn out to be better.
Two things though:
1. I think it would be really helpful to have a list of descriptions of the different boards that are more detailed than the ones on the home forum page. Does that exist?
2. "Riff -Raff"
What is this, the fucking 50's?

I just spent the last freaken 10 hours sorting the ENTIRE god damn site related section By Myself. And man now I am like an encyclopedia of all the unresolved shit the administration has blown off for the last 5 years. BEWARE ADMINS BEWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA- BANNED

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 02:57AM EDT
Flex your power muscle some more, Locks. You’re free to edit my OP post if you feel it lacks descriptions etc.

Ok I actually have an excuse this time, I literally posted that like right before leaving for work and then completely forgot about it till just now. I'll get to compiling info about the boards and posting here now though.

“Riff -Raff”
What is this, the fucking 50’s?

No, this is Aladdin

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 05:41PM EDT

A few things.

• I don't think karma belongs in Riff-Raff or serious debate. It serves no purpose other than to circle jerk. Serious debate is for serious debate, and Riff-Raff is designed for lack of circle jerking.
  • "Memeory lane"… Really?
  • An option to ban people from separate boards would be very useful, especially since suspensions are already common in Riff-Raff.
  • I don't think Riff-Raff threads should ever be bumped to the default forum page. Users could be confused and take the threads too seriously, especially since front-page threads don't have a board identifier.
Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 07:58PM EDT

I don’t think karma belongs in Riff-Raff or serious debate. It serves no purpose other than to circle jerk. Serious debate is for serious debate, and Riff-Raff is designed for lack of circle jerking.

An option to ban people from separate boards would be very useful, especially since suspensions are already common in Riff-Raff.

We probably need to ask James first about what the options are for limits we can put on one board. For example Memeory Lane doesn't allow thread creation, because its purpose is having other good threads moved to there.

So placing restrictions on specific boards is possible, but to what extend I don't know. For that, we need James. Once we know that, we can go over things like karma and suspensions per board.

As for suspensions. Outside of Riff-Raff joke suspensions, if you manage to get suspended you shouldn't be able to post on KYM entirely imo, because the same rules count everywhere. In that way, a seperate suspension system for Riff-Raff feels a bit pointless to code. It's 3 hours maximum, how will that hurt you?

“Memeory lane”… Really?

Blubber wanted a fun name, but nobody could come up with anything decent. So the staff brought forward "Memeory Lane". So blame Blubber for having no originality :^)

I don’t think Riff-Raff threads should ever be bumped to the default forum page. Users could be confused and take the threads too seriously, especially since front-page threads don’t have a board identifier.

I'm more confused about Meme Research in the Discussion section. Some guy made a thread about Crocs, so I thought he just wanted to discuss Crocs. After entering it turned out he was wondering if they were memetic and this thread was in Meme Research.

I’m more confused about Meme Research in the Discussion section. Some guy made a thread about Crocs, so I thought he just wanted to discuss Crocs. After entering it turned out he was wondering if they were memetic and this thread was in Meme Research.

Right. I think threads should at least have a board identifier if they're to be front paged.

In that way, a seperate suspension system for Riff-Raff feels a bit pointless to code. It’s 3 hours maximum, how will that hurt you?

I was thinking more in the lines of actual bans, be it a couple weeks to permanent. If a user is known to post non-serious stuff in "serious discussion" and doesn't stop, I don't think that requisites a universal ban, but a ban from that board.

Right. I think threads should at least have a board identifier if they’re to be front paged.

Second. The board is shown on the main board pages, but some mention on the forum frontpage can certainly help.

I was thinking more in the lines of actual bans, be it a couple weeks to permanent. If a user is known to post non-serious stuff in “serious discussion” and doesn’t stop, I don’t think that requisites a universal ban, but a ban from that board.

Being suspended or banned means not being able to use your account entirely. If you want to make users get suspended/banned from only specific areas like certain boards, the entire suspension system probably needs to be recreated. Suspensions and bans then need to be connected to the areas of the site, not to the account.

They know the risk for breaking the rules in specific areas, so I kinda believe the consequences are theirs. I don't believe the suspension/ban system should be recreated just because certain users couldn't keep their cool in certain areas. It's their fault if they got suspended, and not our responsibility to keep them able to post.

Last edited Jul 18, 2014 at 10:00PM EDT

Twenty-One wrote:

Just noticed a few threads that need moving.
Can the Mod Reviews be moved to maybe serious discussion, or at the very least be stickied for the sake of getting more use out of it.

The Homestuck general should also be moved to Books and Comics, since it is a web comic.

I think homestuck would be better suited to websites in my opinion.

Last edited Jul 19, 2014 at 06:49PM EDT

Spider-Byte wrote:

I think homestuck would be better suited to websites in my opinion.

If that suits it better, then sure. I'm not a homestuck fan whatsoever, so I was just guessing,

I've noticed a problem with the new boards, and maybe this is just a temporary thing what with threads getting moved around and recategorizing, but…

I've had a few times that I couldn't use the "Quote" button or the Krama buttons on a post because, for instance, the thread was in serious discussion, but all the links would say something like knowyourmeme/forums/riff-raff/blahblahblah, and thus would not work when clicked. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Serious Debate: Hotly debated issues, devil’s advocacy and food for thought that require a certain level of maturity and sincerity for participation.

I don't think the level of maturity and sincerity for participation is there. I don't want to be that guy that ruins the fun of a thread, but Serious Debate should have stricter rules that prevents immature comments there. I haven't seen many, but there are some that don't contribute to the thread and are mainly for joking purposes.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Greetings! You must login or signup first!