Forums / Maintenance / Announcements

2,044 total conversations in 85 threads

+ New Thread

Locked Locked
The Entrypalooza Competition is a Go!

Last posted Oct 16, 2016 at 12:49PM EDT. Added Sep 07, 2016 at 12:36PM EDT
38 posts from 16 users

Hello and welcome to the first ever Entrypalooza Entry Contest! You may be familiar with the Tagging Festival contest we held a few months ago, well we're taking that same concept with our entries. Starting on Friday, 9th of September, we will hold a month long contest to see how many entries our users can fix up within the space of a month, and like last time, those who score big get their own Entrypalooza badges, designed by the fantastic MedleyManiac

Rules:

• Eligible entries are constrained to those listed in our mega list, which will go up Friday.
  • Eligible entries are put into 4 categories, Easy, Medium, Hard, and Extra Hard, and will award different point.
  • Entries will be held to a strict level of quality, it is required to be at least of frontpage level quality, although those who we feel have gone above and beyond may get a few bonus points

Help for determining entry categories

• Easy: Good written entry, really close to our current frontpage standards, but lacks… something. Basically, those can be easily fixed by adding some pictures or a bit of textile. An example would be The Definition of Insanity or Keit-Ai.
  • Medium: The entry has the necessary info to be complete, or most of the info, but it's written by the old entry standards or has the info scrambled. Mostly needs a rewritte. Some examples would be Bitch Please, Handsome Squidward and Fukkireta.
  • Hard: Lacks several information, it's highly incomplete or includes useless information. Also, the research on the origin/spread might be difficult due it being an old meme. Some examples would be Fuck Yea (although this one could be argued if it would belong to very hard), What If Zelda Was A Girl? and Desk Flip.
  • Very Hard: This one includes entries covering realy broad subjects, where you don't know where to focus on, and entries based on really big fads where you don't know how to find the origin. Some examples would include Furries, Internet Paraphilias, DHSWC and Anime Opening/Ending Parodies.

How can I participate?

As Twenty-One described in the post above, go through the list and choose the entry or entries you want to edit and post them here. This way: 1) We'll be able to give you edit powers on the entries and 2)We can know which entries you work on, making it easier for us to count the scores.

You can repeat this as many times as you want, that means you can post some entries, finish them, and then post another set, without any limits. The only requisite is for them to be submitted before October 10th.

How will the entries be scored?

The entries will be rated depending on the difficulty for research and writting. This is determined by a lot of factors, from the quality the entry initially has to the broadness of the subject and the availability of information. As the OP states, there's 4 different ranks, and each of them will give you a determined score (still to be determined, but higher difficulties will give extra points to compensate the effort, so it won't be a 1-4 score). Added to that, participants may get extra points if they do an outstanding job at the entry rewritte.

To summarise, the competition will start officially on Friday 9th, and end on October 10. The list of eligible entries will go up once the competition starts, as well as some extra resources to help get you started. If you have any questions before then, feel free to ask them here. See you Friday!

Last edited Sep 09, 2016 at 12:30PM EDT

(we're sorry for ruining your poster Medley)

And entrypalooza is a go! In order to participate, post the entries from the list you want to work on in this thread. Those entries will be evaluated at
the end of the contest. If you're confused about what category an entry fits in, ask a mod. Click the picture above for the full list. Good luck!

Last edited Sep 09, 2016 at 10:30AM EDT

Hey hey hey! Local master of cermonies here in order to give a deeper explanation on how to participate and how the entries will be scored, as 21 isn't able to do it rn.

How can I participate?

As Twenty-One described in the post above, go through the list and choose the entry or entries you want to edit and post them here. This way: 1) We'll be able to give you edit powers on the entries and 2)We can know which entries you work on, making it easier for us to count the scores.

You can repeat this as many times as you want, that means you can post some entries, finish them, and then post another set, without any limits. The only requisite is for them to be submitted before October 10th.

How will the entries be scored?

The entries will be rated depending on the difficulty for research and writting. This is determined by a lot of factors, from the quality the entry initially has to the broadness of the subject and the availability of information. As the OP states, there's 4 different ranks, and each of them will give you a determined score (still to be determined, but higher difficulties will give extra points to compensate the effort, so it won't be a 1-4 score). Added to that, participants may get extra points if they do an outstanding job at the entry rewritte.

In case you want to know the rank from an entry, just post it here and ask, we'll try to give you an answer so you can decide if you want to go ahead with it or choose another entry. At the end of the contest, the entry moderation team will avaluate the entries and calculate the definitive score, and after that special prizes will be handled! We still don't have the definitve design but it's going to be a badge with the face of our dear Canadian moderator Captain Blubber!

Entry mods can still participate in the contest but they'll get into another ranking different from normal users btw.

Anyway, I pick Chloë Grace Moretz, Medieval Macros, 404 Girl and Shamefur Dispray.

Last edited Sep 09, 2016 at 09:51AM EDT

List should be fixed now.

So many of my old entries…

Time to purge my old demons. Hit me up with mewthree, leedle lee, and why because to fuck you that's why (I have editorship to those) as well as furry and yiff.

I'm going all in. Wish me luck.

Last edited Sep 09, 2016 at 10:46AM EDT

Eligible entries are put into 4 categories, Easy, Medium, Hard, and Extra Hard, and will award different point.

Was kinda expecting the entries on the mega list to already be organized according to these categories. Applying the criteria retrospectively (they haven't even been determined yet, according to TripleZ) seems to defeat the point of treating this like a game-contest of sorts. It's not like users have any control over how good their entries were originally and you're setting yourselves up for headaches later.

At the very least, provide an example of an easy entry, a medium entry, etc.

Was kinda expecting the entries on the mega list to already be organized according to these categories

We considered it at some point, but the downsides were much bigger that the upsides, as the effort of classifying over 400 entries would not pay out if the number of participants wasn't high enough, so we prefered playing safe and doing it on the spot.

Anyway, I'll post the guidelines we'll use in order to classify the entries:

• Easy: Good written entry, really close to our current frontpage standards, but lacks… something. Basically, those can be easily fixed by adding some pictures or a bit of textile. An example would be The Definition of Insanity or Keit-Ai.
  • Medium: The entry has the necessary info to be complete, or most of the info, but it's written by the old entry standards or has the info scrambled. Mostly needs a rewritte. Some examples would be Bitch Please, Handsome Squidward and Fukkireta.
  • Hard: Lacks several information, it's highly incomplete or includes useless information. Also, the research on the origin/spread might be difficult due it being an old meme. Some examples would be Fuck Yea (although this one could be argued if it would belong to very hard), What If Zelda Was A Girl? and Desk Flip.
  • Very Hard: This one includes entries covering realy broad subjects, where you don't know where to focus on, and entries based on really big fads where you don't know how to find the origin. Some examples would include Furries, Internet Paraphilias, DHSWC and Anime Opening/Ending Parodies.

I hope this list is informative enough. I may try to expand it in the future if some points are still unclear.

Shijo posted

Yeah, it would be nice knowing how much these entries are worth from the get-go

Darth Vader NOOOO – Hard
Otaku – Very Hard
Yukkuri: Medium
Cat is Fine – Hard
Oakie – Medium
Gendo – Medium, tho might be hard if you want to go in superdetail about the origin and spread

Last edited Sep 09, 2016 at 12:01PM EDT

Can I be removed from the editor list for Toddposting? I didn't want an editorship, I just wanted it on the list because the article is completely empty

btw toddposting is still not on the list so if someone could add it on the list for a more competent researcher I'd appreciate it

Last edited Sep 09, 2016 at 12:59PM EDT

Added to the list. You can remove yourself from any entry you're an editor for. Find the editor list on the right-hand side of the page. Click "View All Editors". There should be a red "Revoke" button right next to your name.

Last edited Sep 09, 2016 at 01:27PM EDT

^ Go ahead and write the stuff you want to add. Entry Moderators will edit and tailor the information you input to the site's proper format and you can learn from there. I already added you as an editor for that entry.

Onion Syrup wrote:

^ Go ahead and write the stuff you want to add. Entry Moderators will edit and tailor the information you input to the site's proper format and you can learn from there. I already added you as an editor for that entry.

Thanks, I will see what I can do to fix it up when I get back.

Bilbo Swaggins wrote:

question: is this gonna get a frontpage announcement any time soon or is this going to be a forum-specific thing?

The admins told me that it would be frontpaged on Friday… Expect it either this weekend or Monday.

Bullets wrote:

I've completely rewritten the Runescape and Moetron entries, and cleaned up the Pootis entry.

Please can I be added to the Painis Cupcake and Jackie Chan entries for my next lot.

When you're done, please post in the thread as well, so that we can review the entries and do some quick fixes if necessary; or add them to the Researching bar, Frontpage, or even the Confirm section, if necessary.

I don't have the luxury to rewrite big entries until the weekend, but I can easily do some quick fixes and finishing touches. Which is how I will participate for now (yes, that is a signup).

Edited your Runescape and Moetron entries a bit, reorganisation and that stuff, with some additions. Runescape was good, just had some style issues. Moetron required a bit more work but that's fine. Great job on the both of them, added to the Researching bar. I'll probably confirm Moetron once the event is over.

Oh my god, what i thought to be only a matter of adding external references turned out to be an entry that needs to be rewritten for a big part. I'm trying my best, but even finding credible sources for the entry seems to be a challenge. For a widely known urban legend, Bloody Mary sure is a vague one.

BUT I AIN'T GIVIN UP.

Me right now:

Ok, I requested a very-hard mode entry from the organisation, and they presented me with the Furries entry. A fair suggestion, given the size of the fandom and the poor state of the entry. I thought I could probably finish it by myself, which I did.

My entire rewrite of it.

And I would like to say: Never again.
And to the competition I would like to say: gg, no re.

Last edited Sep 18, 2016 at 08:28PM EDT

Just posting to say that if anyone else wants the entries I said I wanted earlier, they can have them. I have had no motivation to do anything with entries, and I can't promise I will, so it's not fair to kind of hedge the entries to myself. Plus, it'd look bad to join and be at the very bottom due to doing nothing :) So, I'm dropping out.

Last edited Sep 20, 2016 at 01:51AM EDT

I have added a bit more content at the gamer entry, but i think that most of it can be replaced by putting it as a sub-entry. I think i am not the right guy for an entry as big as the gamer entry. It looks okay but it seems that it could use a good rewrite on some parts. And i ain't the right guy for that job. I exceed mostly in searching for stuff on the web. So my apologies that i couldn't do the job done.

I finally got around to editing the second lot of entries I asked for. I've cleaned up the Painis Cupcake entry and have made a start on the Jackie Chan page. Painis Cupcake should be okay now, but if anything can be improved on let me know. I've also rewritten most of Jackie Chan, but various sections still need work. I probably wont finish it by tomorrow's deadline but I'll see to it when I can.

Last edited Oct 09, 2016 at 05:09PM EDT

The contest is now over, thanks to everyone who participated (or tried to participate, as me :P)! We'll now start evaluating the entries and asigning the scores, I can't tell an exact date for the results posting so stay tuned!

It's time to announce the winners! But first of all I'll explain how we did the scores and how many points could you get depending on the category. The basic score rates how the average entry parts (origin, spread, various examples…) are treated and if they are complete. However, you can get extra points by adding extra information (like related memes). This is the max score you would be able to get on each category.

• Easy: 1 (2 extra points)
  • Normal: 4 (3 extra points)
  • Hard: 10 (7 extra points)
  • Very Hard: 25 (10 extra points)

Now, it's time for the scores! All the peeps who got at least 1 point will get a variation of this badge, designed by the amazing MedleyManiac! In order to prevent complaints about possible "rigging" from the mods, we decided to sepparate the scores in two rows: users and mods.

1 – Bullets (18 points, Diamond tier)
2 – Jon Bovi (12 points, Gold tier)
2 – superjumpman (12 points, Gold tier)
3 – The Scout (10 points, Silver tier)
4 – Lisa Lombardo (5 points, Silver tier)
5 – Yunpol (1 point, Bronze tier)

1 – RandomMan (44 points, Diamond tier)
2 – Shijo (23 points, Gold tier)
3 – Onion Syrup (11 points, Silver tier)

The scoring and reasoning for each entry is on this spreadsheet. In case you have any questions about it ask either RandomMan or me.

In conclusion, I would like to thank everyone who has participated on the contest and the mod team for making it work altogether. Until next time!

Last edited Oct 26, 2016 at 03:12PM EDT
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

This thread was locked by an administrator.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hey! You must login or signup first!