Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

RANT: Attack On Avengers Chapter 1

Last posted Dec 23, 2014 at 01:10PM EST. Added Dec 23, 2014 at 09:54AM EST
5 posts from 3 users

Marvel has finally released the Attack On Titan Crossover it was hyping for the past few months.It got the rights from Hajime Isayama to produce a promo for the actual crossover. The result, it is really terrible and I will explain why.

There is this trope in many action shonen comics. It dates back to the first action shonen comic being Fist Of The North Star ( like when Kenshiro fought shin for example). You'd be hard-pressed to find a shonen comic that doesn't have this trope. Yet when marvel did the crossover, the writers threw the trope out the window and the artists made the titans look so cartoonish it is hard to engage with the action. I mean look at this.

They did not care about the story, the promo was just a cash-in. Now I'm very grateful that it doesn't affect the manga and that it is just a crossover.

You may discuss the Crossover here if you wish.

Last edited Dec 23, 2014 at 10:01AM EST

Are you serious? The whole idea from the beginning is to be fun. Do you honestly want a serious style crossover, in which a man who turns green when angry is deadly serious in trying to kill giant skinless monsters?

@Spider-byte

This is in no way a serious issue but when I looked at the actual comic I really didn't like it. They took important characters and portrayed them as simple mooks.

Sadly I can speak for myself that many knew this crossover wouldn't be good.

To simply put, manga and comic just don't mix up.

They WAY too different style in both writing and drawing.

When in manga they're going to put a lot of effort in the every single character story, while in comics (well, at least most of the time) we have "This is the hero; this is the villain, they fight, hero wins; end".

I don't want to sound like a manga fanboy, but at least they try to respect the characters traits when doing comics adaptations/crossover. Look at those Marvel anime, very well done (although im not fan of the Iron Man one).

EDIT: Also, im the only one who thinks is unnecesary to do a reference to the GOTG film with that "Hooked on a feeling" ? I mean, I love that film, but is not like that song represents the Guardians themselves!

Last edited Dec 23, 2014 at 11:54AM EST

Thrash95 wrote:

Sadly I can speak for myself that many knew this crossover wouldn't be good.

To simply put, manga and comic just don't mix up.

They WAY too different style in both writing and drawing.

When in manga they're going to put a lot of effort in the every single character story, while in comics (well, at least most of the time) we have "This is the hero; this is the villain, they fight, hero wins; end".

I don't want to sound like a manga fanboy, but at least they try to respect the characters traits when doing comics adaptations/crossover. Look at those Marvel anime, very well done (although im not fan of the Iron Man one).

EDIT: Also, im the only one who thinks is unnecesary to do a reference to the GOTG film with that "Hooked on a feeling" ? I mean, I love that film, but is not like that song represents the Guardians themselves!

I disagree on some points.

Since comics have no particular style that could easily work.

For example there are plenty of both Superhero and Non-Superhero comics that focus really on the characters. In fact I would argue in some ways they do it more then manga because in anime/manga it's not uncommon to have a team of cliches, where as comic book character teams have well developed characters (a lot of whom have up to 50 years of content). Just read some critically acclaimed comics of any of the big characters. Alternatively you could look at some Non-Superhero books like The Walking Dead and look at the progression of the characters, especially the survivors like Rick and Carl.

While some of the Marvel anime are good, have you seen the manga/anime Powerpuff Girls Z or the manga Spider-Man? They are horrible adaptations that are much worse then this.

No the problem here isn't that they don't mix, they easily could. It's just that from the beginning it was just a cash grab. The whole hooked on a feeling bit sums it up well. They didn't want to make something that good, they wanted money.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

'lo! You must login or signup first!