Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

Do you think a Hellboy animated series should happen?

Last posted Apr 08, 2015 at 03:05PM EDT. Added Apr 08, 2015 at 02:25PM EDT
3 posts from 3 users

As much as I would like to see a third instalment in the movie series, I personally would love an animated series that follows in the footsteps of the comics. We can get the actors from the films to do the voice acting just like with those two animated films that got released back in 2006 and it would follow similarly to the comics where Hellboy goes to different countries every episode to solve whatever paranormal trouble is happening, with story arcs to serve as the actual main story.

One of the problems I would have with it is that if it did follow closely to the comics, I'm concerned that it would be chock-full of filler episodes just like what happens in the comics whenever there isn't a storyline around Hellboy's role as the harbringer of the apocalypse. Also, I hated the cartoony art style they gave the animated films and how distant it was to Mike Mignola's actual style, but to be fair, they were targeting the films towards a young audience (not children, but maybe teens) so I think a different production studio should be in charge of animating it. If any of you have seen the pilot for 'The Amazing Screw On Head' (also by Mike Mignola) or pretty much anything by Mignola, then that's what it should like in my opinion.

I'd love to see a series, the animated movies kicked major ass!

Not so sure about the voices though. They could probably get Ron Pearlman (he's not a particularly picky actor if "scorpion king 3" is an indication) but I'm not so sure about everyone else.

While this is a good idea, I just think it's very difficult and for a lot of companies they wont see a payoff.

Mignola's style is unique and it fits comics well. While I think "The Amazing Screw On Head" is a great cartoon the animation felt static. You only saw one thing animated at a time and the rest was static. You could see individual frames clearly. The reason why Hellboy Blood Iron and Sword of Storms worked is because while they tried to keep elements and the tone of Mignola's work, they didn't copy it.

Plus you gotta keep making those half hour animations consistently. That's a lot of hard work. Hellboy is not the most popular franchise either. Plus cartoons are generally watched by kids, which face it, no kid friendly channel is gonna pick that up or its going to be heavily restricted and parts from the books will be cut so there's less content to work with. Adult centred cartoons don't do very well unless its a comedy, which Hellboy isn't, so there's just not enough people to get a profit from.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hauu! You must login or signup first!