Forums / Media / Books & Comics

1,014 total conversations in 114 threads

+ New Thread

KYM Suggested Reading List: Suggest a Book!

Last posted Jan 09, 2017 at 01:31AM EST. Added Jan 07, 2017 at 12:45AM EST
13 posts from 13 users

It's a list, this time about books! Suggest some books you think others should read. Please label it as nonfiction or fiction, and please don't suggest more than three in total (so only the best, in your opinion, gets on there).

Books that have more than one suggestion are above those with less suggestions, so if you see a book on there you like you might want to suggest that one as well.

Last edited Jan 07, 2017 at 01:06AM EST

The Art of War
Fiction
Author: Sun Tzu
Subject: Military, Philosophy, Inspirational

The Dilbert Principle
Non-fiction
Author: Scott Adams
Subject: Business, Management, Humor

Last edited Jan 07, 2017 at 01:12AM EST

The Stranger/Outsider
Fiction
Themes: Existentialism, Absurdism
Author: Albert Camus

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
Fiction
Themes: Science Fiction, Existentialism, Cyberpunk
Author: Phillip K. Dick

The Metamorphosis
Fiction
Themes: Horror, Absurdism
Author: Franz Kafka

We should probably give reasons for the suggestions tho
All these are fiction btw
Fight Club
Author: Chuck Palahniuk
I personally prefer the book, its one of the only books I read in 3 days because it was that gripping, the writing style is fast funny and off the walls and it is and absolute life changer, a must read for everyone especially men.
A Clockwork Orange
Author: Anthony Burgess
Terrifying and possibly insane, this novel about the future is extremely hard to read with the use of its nadsat language, but when you learn the laungage, its all the more worth it.
The Catcher In The Rye
Author: JD Salinger
I don't recommend it for everyone, but, as a teen in a confusing time in their life, its extremely effective and sad. My life was definitely changed by this novel, but you have to be in the right mindset and know the history before reading, it makes it more effective and helps you understand a lot of context.
Jam
Author: Yahtzee Croshaw
A very interesting book, while slightly cliched its a fun adventure that subverts a lot of tropes, read it especially if you're a fan of Yahtzees other works.
A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
Author: Mark Haddon
One of the most interesting books of all time and a must read for those interested in autism, the play is also excellent.

Last edited Jan 07, 2017 at 06:58PM EST

Last Call
Fiction
Themes: Urban Fantasy, Modern Magic, Poker, Symbolism
Author: Tim Powers

American Gods
Fiction
Themes: Urban Fantasy, Americana, Ancient and Modern Mythology
Author: Neil Gaiman

Escape From Camp 14
Non-Fiction (Debatable, since some parts of the story were revised in 2015)
Author: Blaine Harden

The story of Shin Dong-hyuk, who was born under the name Shin In Geun in Camp 14, one of North Korea's infamous labor camps. It's a topic I don't see talked about to often when North Korea is brought up, so I'd like to recommend it for folks so they can get an even better idea as to what happens to dissidents in North Korea.

Sure, the title sorta spoils what happens, but the real story is what happens before, during, and after his escape. I can guarantee it'll make you want to read more. But I should warn you, this story is probably not for the faint of heart.

Last edited Jan 09, 2017 at 01:36AM EST
Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Word Up! You must login or signup first!