Turn 15
Turn 16
Turn 17
Turn 18
Turn 19
Turn 20
Turn 21
Turn 22

In this game you will take on the role of a nation state that somehow continues to exist from the dawn of civilization to the modern era and beyond. To join, select one of the following colors, post your flag, and name your nation. There is a strict limit of fifteen players, so join fast if you want to play. These colors have been selected so that the map has maximum color diversity and to make it easier to tell players apart. I may change your color (slightly) if it turns out that they are harder to differentiate than I had previously imagined.

Also, vote in the following strawpoll to select the "cradle of civilization" in which all players will start. You may vote for multiple different choices, if you want, if there are two or three which appeal to you. You can migrate out of the cradle once the game starts.

http://strawpoll.me/4340595

HOW TO PLAY

There are no rules to gameplay, only to PM format. If you send me a PM titled "KYMnatRP" and nothing else, then you are golden. If you need to send an edit, simply resend your entire PM with the edits included. I will only read the last PM you send titled KYMnatRP. Do not title your PM "KYMnatRP edit #" or "KYMnatRP turn #" as I do not need that information in the title. There is currently no limit to how much you may send in a PM, but I may (and probably will) add a limit later if players start to send too much information.

Gameplay, like I said, has no real rules beyond sticking to reality. Try to do whatever your heart desires and see if it works. There is no ultimate goal unless you decide there should be one. The game ends when I feel it should, which will usually be around Turn 20. Different people have different ideas of how the world should be by that point in time, although I feel that Vlad did a good job summing up the spirit of the game two years ago:

The map is Earth, and history will play out as it did IRL until you interfere with it. For instance, Alexander the Great will conquer Persia during his lifetime unless you get in his way somehow. There will be no displayed years, although certain cues (such as Alexander's empire) will give you a hint as to where in the timeline we are.

Do not send PMs until the game starts with Turn 0. Turns will occur roughly once per day at the beginning, taking longer as the game progresses and there is more to type about in each turn.

Last edited Jun 16, 2015 at 06:29AM EDT

TURN 0

Europe won the strawpoll by one vote over MesoAmerica and India, so we will start in Europe. Select an area on the above map and state it in this thread and your pepople will start the game there. It is necessary to say in the thread where your people will start so that other players know to select different areas. You may now send your first turn actions (titled KYMnatRP).

It is the dawn of the bronze age in Europe. Your people have just discovered how to alloy tin and copper to make custom tool shapes sturdier than stone. Will they expand into a great nation or flounder and fall to the advances of greater people? Their future is in your hands now…

Spider-Byte wrote:

Can I have that bottom corner of Ireland?

Yes. You may have anything visible on this map. That corner of Ireland is yours if you want it.

The quoted post has been deleted.

It might be that you were just making a statement of intentions to everybody else, but just in case you misunderstood the game let me make it clear: you need to send me a PM to do any actions. Anything you say your people are doing in this thread does not actually happen in the game. Send me a PM (titled appropriately or I won't read it) and I will post a turn in another day's time telling of what successes or failures your people have had.

However, the location is fine. I want that in the thread. Everything else goes in the PM though.

Note to everybody else:

If you do not pick a location, I will choose one for you. You may not like where I put you.

Last edited May 13, 2015 at 06:37AM EDT

Syndic wrote:

It might be that you were just making a statement of intentions to everybody else, but just in case you misunderstood the game let me make it clear: you need to send me a PM to do any actions. Anything you say your people are doing in this thread does not actually happen in the game. Send me a PM (titled appropriately or I won't read it) and I will post a turn in another day's time telling of what successes or failures your people have had.

However, the location is fine. I want that in the thread. Everything else goes in the PM though.

Note to everybody else:

If you do not pick a location, I will choose one for you. You may not like where I put you.

Alright then. Thanks for the reminder.

Start me in Instanbul, Turkey

@Laud

I know you like bottoms, so do I. But that's a lot of bottoms to claim right on the first turn. I think you gotta choose one. Also Finland isn't on the map yet.

Last edited May 13, 2015 at 11:02AM EDT

I feel that it is necessary to respond to this PM publicly:

Syndic, would it be useful if I send you a PM about my Nation? It wouldn’t be about technology but the small quirks and things like the religion?

All of that should go in your PM titled KYMnatRP. Technology is a non-factor for most of history. Until scientific theory in the industrial era, you won't be able to guide your civ technologically in any meaningful way. Since we start in the bronze age that is quite a bit of time where the only interesting things that will be happening are cultural developments and conquest.

James Blunt wrote:

can i please be in germany? no part in particular if i cant ocupy the entire space

nvm id rather be near the ocean, i really dont know names for the old map so i cant be incredibly accurate, just any place where germany from today would be but near the ocean

Last edited May 13, 2015 at 07:16PM EDT

TURN 1

FONT TYPE is determined by your government type. This way you only need to glance at the map to determine if somebody has a similar government to yours. Also, it makes it possible to identify NPC government forms.

DIPLOMACY between players should be handled by you. I do not care if you are in an alliance with another player, do not tell me about it. The only diplomacy I will keep track of is warfare and NPC diplomacy. Interactions with other playrs should not be sent to me. If you want to strike up an alliance, actually communicate with that player.

CITIES can have names, but I cannot possibly keep track of all of them. I may often just say "the city" or "the capital" because that is too many names to keep track of and they will never all fit on the map.

CAPITAL cities are displayed by a fat star with a white dot in the middle. Other major cities (none on the map at the present) are just a black circle with a shadow in the middle.

Mr. Stalker
Lok-Lod

Government: Tribal Confederation
Culture: The Fights, Talion Law
Economy: Maritime Mercantile

• Prize fighting has risen in popularity. A grand arena has been constructed to host extravagant martial arts matches and displays of manly prowess.
  • The fights become extrordinarily popular, and gradually become structured competitions held once per year in the capital city and include a diverse range of athletic events, not just fighting.
  • Settlers move north, expanding the Lok-Lod civilization into Britain.
  • Retaliatory practices in justice become a popular means of keeping the peace. Eye-for-an-eye sentences are commonplace.
  • A focus on harbor-building has led to increased maritime trade. Lodite traders dominate the sea lanes near MacTire, Doonish, and Ovon ports.

Levantine Republic
Stalemate

Government: Tribal Despotism
Culture:
Economy:

• 1 Turn missed

Dathuastan
Soviet Marmalade

Culture:

• Settlers search for good harbors to build their villages upon and focus upon trading with the homeland and other cities.

Doon
Laud Piestrings

Culture:
Economy:

• 1 Turn missed

Polis
Sergeant Arch Dornan

Culture:
Economy: Coastal Agrarian

• Self sufficiency becomes the mainstay of the Polic people. Settlers seek out fertile lands and good harbors from which to launch fishing fleets.

Vakun
You Are Reading This

Culture: Megalith Temples
Economy: Palace

• Massive stone temples are errected throughout the country, each devoted to the local patron god of its region. Due to the huge expense and organizational requirements of these temples, a Palace economy emerges. All wealth is funnelled towards the palace where the king distributes it as he sees fit.
  • Settlers move out to the north and west, settling along the coast in Denmark.

Mac Tíre-Madra
Spider-Byte

Culture:
Economy:

• 1 turn missed

Ovo
Twisty

Culture: God Questing

• Good, safe harbors are plentiful in Ovo lands and the people move to settle further along the coast to take advantage of trading opportunities on the high seas with the Lodite and Doonish people.
  • Monumental structures are built dedicated to the heavens in the hope that divine intervention will prove the existence of a god or gods. This tradition of "god questing" becomes ingrained in the population, both at the monumental and personal level.

Monarchy of Roses
Tchefuncte Bonaparte

Culture:
Economy:

• 1 Turn missed

Zellania
Naschzaube Maus

Culture:
Economy: City-State Maritime Mercantile

• Trade blossoms with the people of Polis.
  • Zellanian merchants focus on their capital for trading, rather than expanding into new harbors in far-away lands, and build up a navy of galleys to defend the home port.
  • Ambitious settlers found colonies on the Aegean and throughout the lands between the homeland and the colony.

Naval Monte
CrowTheMagician

Culture: Totemic Rites

• Fishing villages pop up along the coast, reliant on farming and fishing for food, which is plentiful.
  • Coinage is minted, although it is used about as frequently as bartering due to the dominance small-scale local economies.
  • Totems and effigies are utilized in spiritual awakenings of young men and women, who take on the role of certain spirits in masking ceremonies as a rite of passage into adulthood.

Kingdom of Riveria
Crimeariver

Culture: Mob Army
Economy: Agrarian

• The capital city is named Threepeaks. It is situated in a high valley between three iconic mountains. Cheese becomes a hallmark of the city, having supposedly been invented there, and the unique landform of the valley makes good grazing land for cattle.
  • When threatened by barbarians, citizens tend to form massive mobs consisting of entire villages – men, women, and children – all weilding whatever tools they can get their hands on. These mob armies become a traditional responsibility of every denizen, and refusing to join the mob is tanamount to treason.
  • Settlers seeking more fertile lands than their mountain home can provide establish colonies to the south along the coast and in the fertile lowlands of northern Italia. Grain, vegetables, and salted fish are brought to the capital from this new region.

States of the Rising Sword
TillsterRulz

Culture: Honor, Elitist Mystery Cults
Economy:

• The people of the Sword are called such due to their untiring devotion to preserving honor through the use of blades. Most members of society, even those not devoted to warfare, consider themselves honor bound soldiers.
  • The wealthiest among society tend to flock to certain gods and worship them in private, sharing their beliefs only with "the chosen" few, who tend to be their friends and family.
  • Settlers move west, seeking fertile lands and settling along rivers close to the Pyrenees.

Syserror
Butterscotch (of Death)

Government: Tribal Republic
Culture:

• Fishing fleets rapidly transform into trading fleets as the enviable position of Syserror's capital city grants them total domination over trade between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean.
  • The tribes gather and elect a council of elders to govern them.
  • Settlers expand the Syserrorian borders east and west.
Last edited May 14, 2015 at 06:34AM EDT

So do we send you our second turn now or are you going to post more information on the other nations and the time period before then?

Crimeariver wrote:

So do we send you our second turn now or are you going to post more information on the other nations and the time period before then?

No more info until the next turn. The entire turn goes up all at once and that's it. You should send your PM as soon as possible, to avoid missing a turn. I try to post turns once per day.

CrowTheMagician wrote:

I already sent in my next turn.

Good! Everybody should try to send them as early as possible.

Last edited May 14, 2015 at 02:41PM EDT

Syndic wrote:

No more info until the next turn. The entire turn goes up all at once and that's it. You should send your PM as soon as possible, to avoid missing a turn. I try to post turns once per day.

CrowTheMagician wrote:

I already sent in my next turn.

Good! Everybody should try to send them as early as possible.

I have a feeling that some players here might not know that the game started already.

TURN 2

MILITARY stats are now included. If there is nothing noted in your military area it simply means that you have an average military in every way. Everybody has an army, of course, and only the unique traits of one civilization's military will be noted in the turn.

FLASHPOINTS have been added as well. These are emergency events, situations, or statuses which may lead to war or worse. You should address flashpoints quickly, as they have a high chance of spiraling out of control.

• The Hittites have advanced their metallurgy skills with hotter forges, allowing them to smelt iron into steel. The knowledge of this skill rapidly spreads throughout the Mediterranean and Europe. The iron age has begun.
  • The Minoan civilization expands into Greece and Asia minor, rebounding from ages of decline. Their civilization flourishes with the advent of iron and Crete's population expands rapidly. The island's central location and dominance over the Aegean greatly aids their growth as a mercantile kingdom.

Mr. Stalker
Lok-Lod

Government: Tribal Kratocracy
Culture: The Fights, Talion Law, Lord of the Arena
Military: Large Navy

• Fanatical fans of The Fights have begun worshiping the champions of the ring. Deification of wrestling champions leads to the politicization of fighters and the rise of political careers from the arena.
  • The confederation dissolves as the mightiest of fighters unify the lands under their rule. When one king becomes too old to maintain his title, another challenges him in the ring of honor and, when victorious, claims the throne. A champion fighter known as Bobba bo Bak becomes the first to unify the confederated tribes through his own personal sheer strength.
  • Settlers have migrated across the channel into Gallia. Their culture divides from Lok-Lod, being so distant from the arenas of their homeland, and they come to be known as the Kolkar. The people there develop a strange fascination with bones and utilize them in their armor, reinforcing human skulls with bronze to make helmets. They develop a barbaric reputation.
  • A great many ships are constructed to defend the shipping lanes from attack by Kolkari pirates.

Levantine Republic
Stalemate

Culture:
Economy:
Military:

• 2 Turns missed

Dathuastan
Soviet Marmalade

Culture: Floating Homes, Ship Builders, Tide God
Economy: Maritime Mercantile, Thalassocracy
Military:

• Desmeinia, the capital city, gradually expands into and over ponds and lagoons nearby. Floating houses become a famous hallmark of Dathuastan.
  • A ship building tradition is established in Dathuastan. The greatest shipwrights typically become the wealthiest in society. Thus, anybody who can associate themselves with the ship-building process is greatly respected.
  • Worship of a foreign god from the west, known as the Tide God, has become mainstream in Dathuastan.
  • The boat becomes the assumed symbol of the civilization as more and more of the Dathuastani people focus their lives upon exploiting the Black Sea for its usefulness. Fishing is known by all, boat dances are regularly held to honor the Tide God, boat races are held annually in most large towns, and a general misconception of the location of mountains causes most people to rely on fish and imports for food rather than farming.
  • Syserrene dominance of the only entrance to the Black Sea is significantly hindering the ability of Dathuastani merchants to conduct business elsewhere in the world.

Doon
Laud Piestrings

Culture: Talion Law, Tedizm
Military:

• Eye-for-an-eye type laws are codified, making Talion Law the law of the land.
  • Philosophical ideas regarding the nature of goodness and the inevitability of the downfall of wicked men are unified into a school of thought known as Tedizm.
  • The tribes unite under a single leader. Settlers expand the realm east and west, bringing furs and lumber to the capital for trading with merchants from other lands.

Polis
Sergeant Arch Dornan

Culture:
Military:

• Settlers colonize Sicily and expand north into Italia.
  • The king is overthrown and the people delegate the power of authority to an elected body of representatives known as a senate.

Vakun
You Are Reading This

Culture: Megalith Temples, Tengriism
Economy: Palace
Military:

• Jutland and southern Germany are colonized.
  • The open-air temples of Vakun are re-purposed for the worship of Tengri, The Eternal Blue Sky. This god from the east is known as The One True God, excluding all other gods from the pantheon. There are few tenants of the religion, and Tengri is well known for being mysterious in his ways. Most Tengriists believe that any monotheistic faith is the same as Tengriism, just having a god of a different name, making it very easy to convert cult-followers who have shunned all gods but one in their pantheon.

Mac Tíre-Madra
Spider-Byte

Culture: Sacred Dogs
Economy:
Military:

• The fertile lands of Ireland are rapidly expanded into. Farming estates appear all throughout the countryside.
  • The traits of the dog are held in high regard: loyalty, compassion, ferocity. These are all of the traits of a true warrior, and dogs gain a holy status in society. It has been made a crime to harm stray dogs and the ownership of a large dog has become a status symbol of wealth and strength among the tribesmen.

Ovo
Twisty

Culture: God Questing
Military: Large Navy, Austere Elites

• A senate is created and the election of representatives marks the beginning of a republic. A senate chamber is constructed where delegates from all of the towns in the realm can voice their concerns and opinions.
  • A large navy is funded in the capital to defend the homeland from overseas invaders.
  • A program of military testing is initiated in which youths are tested for aptitude in physical contests. The best are recruited into elite squadrons for service of the republic and spend the rest of their lives completely devoted to training as a military unit.
  • Theaters are constructed throughout the region for the purpose of displaying poetry, music, plays, and many other creative arts.

Monarchy of Roses
Tchefuncte Bonaparte

Culture: Warrior Poets
Economy:
Military: Merchant Marine

• Merchant ships are burdened with the responsibility of transporting soldiers and engaging in combat during war times.
  • Warriors are encouraged to gain an education in fields besides combat. The general result is that, once a warrior has fought for a few years, he retires and establishes himself in another career.
  • Settlers move north and south.
Last edited May 15, 2015 at 05:57AM EDT

Zellania
Naschzaube Maus

Government: Tribal Elected Despotism
Culture: Tide God
Economy: City-State Maritime Mercantile
Military: Large Galley Fleet
Flashpoints: Minoan Border Feud

• An attempt is made to dig a canal through the Isthmus of Corinth. The attempt proves to be too ambitious to fund, but the end result is a colony of Zellanians permanently residing in Peloponnesus.
  • The chiefs of the various tribes of Zellania, upon the death of the grand chief, now gather to elect a successor. It is hoped that this new system of succession will help further unify the tribes.
  • Pagans of Zellania gradually focus in on worship of the sea, in particular the god of the tides. The stars become associated with this god, who becomes chiefest among all in the Zellanian pantheon.
  • Conflict arises with the Minoans, who are also attempting to assert dominance over the Peloponnese. Small border skirmishes occur between feuding towns and villages.

Naval Monte
CrowTheMagician

Culture: Totemic Rites, Gender Equality
Military:

• Carmina Gadelica, the capital city, becomes a hub of trade due to its strategic location in the center of the Mediterranean and the excellent harbor located there.
  • The tyrant is cast down and the wealthy of Naval Monte put themselves into office as "elected representatives" of the people. Gradually the republic evolves to allow other wealthy people and even those with less wealth to compete in the elections. Even women are given the right to seek office and vote.
  • Explorers seeking new lands to settle find opportunity along the coast. The desert to the south, with its ever-shifting sand dunes and extreme heat, offer little opportunity for expansion.
  • A bardic college is opened in the capital for teaching song makers and story tellers how to effectively keep an audience entertained. Reading and writing becomes more common among the people due to the requirements of memorization in this college.

Kingdom of Riveria
Crimeariver

Culture: Mob Army, Dendrolatry
Military:

• Settlers colonize the lands to the west, coming into frequent contact with people known as Swords. Trade here is profitable, bringing rare metals and coin into Riveria.
  • A town in southern Gallia known as Greentide becomes the nation's maritime trading hub, bringing in goods from across the sea.
  • A massive spruce tree growing at the center of the capital has gained deity status, and is being worshipped like a god. The people believe that this tree and other notable spruces bring good luck, protection, and longevity to the town it grows in. Many towns are constructed around a single giant evergreen or have such a tree planted or transplanted into the middle of town.

States of the Rising Sword
TillsterRulz

Culture: Honor, Elitist Mystery Cults
Economy: Agrarian, Mining Towns
Military:

• Eastward expansion continues until the sea is reached and a border is formed with Riveria. Mines in the new region provide much ore, including silver and gold.
  • Traders form a caravan west into the new lands, over the mountains. Cheese and beef is imported in great quantities from Riveria.

Syserror
Butterscotch (of Death)

Culture:
Economy: Socialist Maritime Mercantile
Military:
Flashpoints: Minoan Piracy, Hittite Raids

• Attempts are made to colonize the Aegean, but these colonists ultimately fail to make an independent home for themselves. Instead they emigrate to Minoa and Zellania, which ultimately won the race for controlling the land.
  • A highway is constructed connecting Asia Minor and much of the Balkans. Settlements appear along this road, expanding Syserrene dominance of the regions.
  • A toll for passage is enacted in the capital, effecting both land and sea trade. Syserror gains a reputation for being the crossroads of the world, connecting two seas as well as two continents. Huge amounts of gold flow into the capital due to control of this strategic location, bringing the envy of Syserror's neighbors.
  • Hittite cavalry have begun raiding deep within Syserrene territory, kidnapping slaves and burning farmhouses. A tribute is sent to sate their blood lust but, although they accept the gift, the raids continue unabated.
  • The senate invents an idea known as socialism which is ultimately disregarded as a philosophy for the elected to get rich by stealing from the poor. Commercial enterprises, mines, and major workshops are seized for the senate and then organized into zero-competition spheres dominated by the state. The end result is a handful of corrupt senators lining their pockets with ill-gotten gains by manipulating the treasury to their benefit. The poor regulation of this massive trading network by only a few men also results in a loss of revenue.
  • Minoan pirates "pursuade" trade ships to sell their goods in Crete rather than Syserror. This has been made an even easier task with the socialist experiment in Syserror making trade there more difficult than trade in Crete. Minoa has become the middle-man to nearly all Syserrene trade.
Last edited May 15, 2015 at 06:19AM EDT

Its not my fault you made the black sea your primary asset knowing full well where I had placed myself

Besides, I never gave an order to stop your ships. That's something my civilization automatically started doing

Talk business with me and I'll see to it that this behavior is rectified

If anyone's really blocking trade, it's Minoa

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Hello! You must login or signup first!