Forums / Discussion / General

232,629 total conversations in 7,776 threads

+ New Thread

ray william johnson is terrorizing my friends by dmcaing their remixes

Last posted Apr 08, 2018 at 10:44PM EDT. Added Apr 06, 2018 at 09:11AM EDT
5 posts from 4 users

This one has a lot of context so let me explain.

For you young people out there, Ray William Johnson was a guy who had a YouTube show called =3 where he would talk about viral videos and stuff. This was in the pre-reaction channel days in the late 2000s and early 2010s. He also had a bunch of songs such as "Doin' Your Mom" and stuff done with his group Your Favorite Martian. Eventually he kind of dropped off the face of the Earth as interests shifted.

In 2010 my friend Xarlable created a YTPMV named "Rock My Forum" which used =3 footage and the song "Rock My Emotions" by Kitsune^2. While he's a much better content creator now, the quality of Rock My Forum was iffy at best and people made fun of him for it for years, especially after he became involved with SiIvaGunner and that blew up. He came to hate it but despite the mockery, he never took it down, and eventually this grew to people using the YTPMV as a source in and of itself separate from Ray William Johnson.

Earlier this year, Rock My Forum and some videos related to it were taken down from YouTube by a company called 3 Inc. This was assumed to be a troll with a vendetta against Rock My Forum since the email used to take it down was a Gmail account. Investigative reporting found an old RWJ tweet from 2011 stating that the email used was fake. While some of these claims were able to be waived, or at least ignored, the counterclaim on the original Rock My Forum was rejected, and subsequent attempts at having it restored were also rejected.

A week or two ago Ray William Johnson held a livestream Q+A where he stated that he wished to no longer be associated with his old content as he was aiming to come back and make content for a more mature audience. While this was not really seen as much at the time, there was another streak of DMCAs afterward, and the video for "Doin' Your Mom", which had been privated for a time, was restored, likely so RWJ could use it to take people down. Additionally, the old tweet mentioned above was deleted, which led to the conclusion that it was, in fact, Johnson who had taken down Rock My Forum.

This has caused a small state of panic within the ripper and remixer community. This has led not only to the privating of videos with RWJ/Rock My Forum as a joke, including some with nearly 100,000 views, but the collapse of the SiIvaGunner fanchannel VvvvvaVvvvvvr, who heavily used Rock My Forum as a joke. While the channel is usally seen as pure shitposting, there was some truly high-quality stuff on it, and there's also a lot of content creators who are now displaced from an outlet.

I don't really know what I am trying to get out of posting this, I just thought it was interesting.

Situation update: Since the fall of VvvvvaVvvvvvr, people have taken to reuploading Rock My Forum in protest. This has had the effect of having of getting the video not only get audiovisual claimed, but also causing the most popular version of the video file to automatically get rejected when it is uploaded.

Skeletor-sm

This thread is closed to new posts.

Old threads normally auto-close after 30 days of inactivity.

Why don't you start a new thread instead?

Sup! You must login or signup first!